Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2020, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Is anyone following this roadmap? https://millionmilesecrets.com/guide...ts%20in%202021.

So, if I apply for the Hyatt card today and get approved today I would hit 10 elite nights, 5 for 2020 and 5 for 2021?

I was thinking about doing a mattress run to hit globalist as I can get into pretty cheap stays in the DC area of about $68/night. Very tempting, even for someone that doesn't stay at Hyatt properties a lot.
If you don't stay at Hyatt properties very much, why bother? Even at cheap rates, there's a nontrivial cost.
lsquare and Dsm2m2 like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 8:28 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you don't stay at Hyatt properties very much, why bother? Even at cheap rates, there's a nontrivial cost.
If I indeed start of only needing 20 qualifying (10 actual with double stay promo) then I calculate the cost to be about $6-700. I think over the next two years I could probably get that value out of even my limited stays. Normally I do not really consider Hyatt as I have no status but this would certainly make me take a closer look. I have a couple of stays coming up that I could also push to Hyatt to help with the nights needed which would really only put me out about $4-500.

Your question is a good one. I would just say that in my case the promo is actually working as I can see myself staying more in the future based on this promo and at worst case breaking even in the next two years.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For me, I have not been staying at Hyatt because a) difficult to qualify for top tier unlike HH/MR, b) lack of coverage worldwide and c) higher price points compared to HH/MR. However, I have a large accrual of Chase points banked and Hyatt is clearly the best value for conversion. Getting Globalist for 2 years provides a good outlet to maximize the value of my Chase points.
mcgahat likes this.

Last edited by xooz; Jan 1, 2021 at 11:34 am
Old Jan 1, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: United MM, Alaska MVP, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by xooz
For me, i have not been staying at Hyatt because a) difficult to qualify for top tier unlike HH/MR, b) lack of coverage worldwide and c) higher price points compared to HH/MR. However, I have a large accrual of Chase points banked and Hyatt is clearly the best value for conversion. Getting Globalist for 2 years provides a good outlet to maximize the value of my Chase points.
That's what I'm thinking. Hyatt has some great properties I'd like to explore and doing it as a Globalist would make it even sweeter.
synergistic and Pocatello like this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 12:29 pm

Much the same here. I've never been able to convince myself to pay the higher prices for Hyatts when I'd have to drag myself up through the tiers. Combining some mattress run nights with necessary work nights with will indeed cost me a nontrivial amount extra, but I think I'll have fun trying to eke that value out of the benefits and earnings, especially with the Chase transfer option. Staying in HP/HH properties will be a nice upgrade from even the carefully chosen Wyndham and Choice properties I usually use for my frequent work overnights. If the Globalist experience on leisure stays is worthwhile, I'll happily stay with Hyatt long term - so the promo may end up working exactly as they hoped where I'm concerned.
mcgahat likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I got to 36 nights early in the year, almost exclusively due to a couple weeks each at the Grand Hyatt Erawan and Park Hyatt Saigon in February, and I was still stuck at 36 in late October. But in November I finally managed to travel internationally again, and then I had a domestic trip in December, so I made it to 70 nights for 2020. In the last few weeks I have stayed at some of my favorite hotels (GH Jakarta, HR Bali, GH DFW, HR Crystal City/DCA) as well as at a couple I'd never stayed at before (GH and PH Dubai) -- almost all at stunningly reasonable rates, albeit with reduced levels of service, and getting triple or quadruple Hyatt points. The really good news is that 32 of those 34 recent nights will also count toward 2021. (The other two were from an incremental 5K on the credit card.) And now I'm on an 8-night stay that will end on January 6. So with these 16 nights, a few more credit card nights, and a couple of overnight stays later in the month, I should reach 60 nights by the end of January. I'm pretty sure this is a first for me: a promotion that rewards me for doing what I had intended to do anyway. All of which somehow did not make me less sad when I looked at my Hyatt app this morning and saw all those zeroes.
3rdworldresident likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2021, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

People wont actually get their bonus nights any time soon. Adjust your expectation accordingly.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 3:37 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by synergistic
Much the same here. I've never been able to convince myself to pay the higher prices for Hyatts when I'd have to drag myself up through the tiers. Combining some mattress run nights with necessary work nights with will indeed cost me a nontrivial amount extra, but I think I'll have fun trying to eke that value out of the benefits and earnings, especially with the Chase transfer option. Staying in HP/HH properties will be a nice upgrade from even the carefully chosen Wyndham and Choice properties I usually use for my frequent work overnights. If the Globalist experience on leisure stays is worthwhile, I'll happily stay with Hyatt long term - so the promo may end up working exactly as they hoped where I'm concerned.
IMHO, Hyatt is the best choice (especially if you're stuck in a Wyndham or Choice option.) My travel the past few years didn't include Hyatt due to the IHG and MR options being more convenient and cheaper, especially as IHG Spire/AMB and MR PLT. But, when I was DIA/GLOB, I was able to make Hyatt work, as I was living in China and the options there were pretty good, GH's at reasonable rates in most major cities, and the regular trips to Thailand made it work. Once I moved to Thailand, it didn't work so well, though I just finished a 15 nt MR at the GH Bangkok for the 2 years of GLOB. Once Thailand reopens for reentry without the 14 day quarantine, I'll have plenty of options nearby, GH KL and the other Malaysian, plus the Indonesian properties. Unfortunately, my US trips will be fewer, but those were mostly staying with family and friends, so few hotel nights, except around the Bay Area. 2021 may not be the travel time, but definitely 2022. So, there may be a slight delay, but the promo definitely will work on me.
synergistic likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
After a near-2 year Globalist run, have really come to appreciate Hyatt - reminds me of the "old Starwood/SPG" experiences I had 2010-2018, prior to the Marriott Borg coming in.

Yes, there aren't 5,000 properties like Marriott or Hilton, so you have to work a bit harder - but the benefits & property quality make it worth it IMO.

Not worried about any "influx" of new members w/the recent promotions - if they help Hyatt stabilize the balance sheet in short term, and drive more growth long-term (and avoid any corporate takeovers), I'm all for it.

Doubt I will get to 60 nights this year unless biz travel picks up H2, but I can live w/o the suite upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:10 am

Because of the pandemic, I think easy up the Glob qualification criteria makes sense. I noticed my Hyatt meter thing now has nights for Glob and a separate one for TSUs and assume one still must hit 60 for concierge service. While any sudden influx of elites in any rewards scheme is often associated with dilution of benefits, 2021 "may" be an exception. We'll see.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Comatose.Captain
I think few people aside from those wanting to make themselve believe they actually have a higher status level than the "lites" care about this.

Really, since milestone rewards were introduced, there is no logical reason to use the made-up term "glob lite". Or how do you refer to an Explorist with TSUs?
I agree. Then we could argue that those Globalists who are corporate travellers using their employers’ revenue to gain status or those benefitting from credit card free nights and additional bonus points are as individuals, more "Lite" than those who will have to make 60 nights from leisure travel and those who cannot apply for those cards.

in addition, if they are to use the TSUs then they would need to commit to more nights anyway to really get the benefits. Given the travel restrictions at the moment, the only choice for many is a mattress run using your own hrs earned cash and with limited choice of properties.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Visconti
Because of the pandemic, I think easy up the Glob qualification criteria makes sense. I noticed my Hyatt meter thing now has nights for Glob and a separate one for TSUs and assume one still must hit 60 for concierge service. While any sudden influx of elites in any rewards scheme is often associated with dilution of benefits, 2021 "may" be an exception. We'll see.
I have my doubts that an influx of Globalists will really hurt me. For starters, I don't plan on traveling around the US much. I plan on using this in Asia more, specifically Hong Kong, Singapore, and Shanghai. Since practically every travel blog have covered this, it's a good thing I'll have TSUs to get me a suite. I'm assuming if I get 60 nights in 2021, I'll get 4 more so 8 in total? I didn't used the 4 from last year and currently they're set to expire in early 2022. The people who are taking advantage of the offer will most likely spend just enough nights to get "Globalist Lite". They'll get their breakfasts, but I'm sure there will be plenty of food to go around...
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
After a near-2 year Globalist run, have really come to appreciate Hyatt - reminds me of the "old Starwood/SPG" experiences I had 2010-2018, prior to the Marriott Borg coming in.

Yes, there aren't 5,000 properties like Marriott or Hilton, so you have to work a bit harder - but the benefits & property quality make it worth it IMO.

Not worried about any "influx" of new members w/the recent promotions - if they help Hyatt stabilize the balance sheet in short term, and drive more growth long-term (and avoid any corporate takeovers), I'm all for it.

Doubt I will get to 60 nights this year unless biz travel picks up H2, but I can live w/o the suite upgrades.
This is just my opinion, but I don't think the footprint is that big of a deal. Hyatt seems to be working hard to expand. Furthermore, just how much traveling does a typical person do in a year? Will they really travel to a place without a Hyatt? I think people should examine their travel pattern first before just repeating the footprint issue.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by lsquare
This is just my opinion, but I don't think the footprint is that big of a deal. Hyatt seems to be working hard to expand. Furthermore, just how much traveling does a typical person do in a year? Will they really travel to a place without a Hyatt? I think people should examine their travel pattern first before just repeating the footprint issue.
I don’t disagree with you. For years people anti Starwood used footprint against them, with many now making the same argument against Hyatt. Hyatt has smartly ramped up partnerships and acquisitions to go along with organic growth.

~70% of those Marriott and Hilton properties are limited service hotels I don’t want to stay in that are in locations I will never go to, so that helps even things out in my personal calculation.
EuropeanPete, lsquare and mhdena like this.
Old Jan 2, 2021, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
I don’t disagree with you. For years people anti Starwood used footprint against them, with many now making the same argument against Hyatt. Hyatt has smartly ramped up partnerships and acquisitions to go along with organic growth.

~70% of those Marriott and Hilton properties are limited service hotels I don’t want to stay in that are in locations I will never go to, so that helps even things out in my personal calculation.
Exactly. I personally have no desire whatsoever going to a place like McAllen, Texas, which is like the middle of nowhere. So if there's a Marriott or a Hilton, but no Hyatt, I really don't think it's that big a deal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.