Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:20 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum Elite, Delta Silver Medallion
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Travel demand is down big time even for hotels that are open and pretty much operating like normal in places without government "orders and changes" (related to the pandemic) "killing them". And given something like a tenth to a third of pre-pandemic business travel is unlikely to come back for at least 2+ years (if ever), I can't say I'm surprised by Hyatt reducing elite status qualification requirements and keeping them lower (than pre-pandemic levels) into at least part of 2022 (if not longer in parts).

Chicago Hyatt hotels live off major event/conference-related attendance and people coming in for business/sales meetings, and that's not happening in this era where employers and vendors don't want to set themselves up with liability for endangering the lives and health of their employees and those coming into contact with them. A substantial chunk of business is being done via video calls instead of in-person get-togethers, and that is business "killing" business.
I'd be absolutely shocked if business travel even came back to 50% of what used to be "normal". Just speaking with my own experience- my company pretty much said that going forward working from home is going to be the new normal. Our corporate center is going to be minimally staffed and they did a survey two months ago about the "working from home experience" and over 80% of employees said they would prefer for this to be their new normal after COVID. Coupled with the amount of money we've saved on things like toilet paper, copy paper/ink, electricity is just mind boggling. Business travel used to have to be approved by your manager but now the VP of each department needs to approve and justify each trip and so far many have been hesitant to do so but even going forward it's expected that most departmental budgets will include VERY minimal budgeting for business trips (like...less than 1/4 of pre-covid levels).
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:07 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
What's confusing about it? Before the promo was extended, it would have ended 1/4. So if you have a stay with check out date before 1/1, you would earn 1 eqn for each night in 2020 and 1 eqn for each night in 2021 . However if your stay crosses into 2021 (start in 2020 and ends between 1/1-4) then all your nights count twice in 2021 and none in 2020. Example: 12/5-1/4 stay would earn 30x2 nights in 2021 and 0 in 2020, 12/5-12/31 stay would earn 26 nights in 2020 and 26 nights in 2021

Now if the extension is confirmed and the new end date is 2/28/2021, any stay with a check out date of 2/28 and before would earn 2x eqns for 2021. Example: 12/31-1/30 stay would earn 30x2 nights in 2021 and 0 in 2020.

Since globalist only requires 30 nights, do your maths to figure how many nights do you need to get there
So with the double nights towards tier status through February 28, 2021, I can stay 15 nights in Jan/Feb and qualify for Glob 2022. Am I reading this right?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 12:21 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Unhappy

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Don't forget IL, the home of Hyatt.

Was talking to a Hyatt sales manager out by ORD and he said the governor's haphazard orders and changes are KILLING them.
The "haphazard orders" correlates with the increase of COVID infections and deaths. The order would not have been introduced if State population was not getting infected or dying at current rates.
I for one don't want to see these Hyatt properties be "killed". Just hope the vaccine will allow us to begin leisure travel again. As I mentioned above, the armies of travelling IT consultants is no more and that unfortunately will kill off some of these properties. Really SAD.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
The "Bonus Journeys" promo, which has now been extended through February 28, 2021 gives double elite nights credit for 2021. So if you stay 15 nights between now and February 28, you will get credit for 30 nights. And thus qualify for Globalist.
If you book with points will that stay count as double also?
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ricepaddy2
Yes
Old Dec 3, 2020, 5:39 pm

Programs: Hilton credit card Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
So with the double nights towards tier status through February 28, 2021, I can stay 15 nights in Jan/Feb and qualify for Glob 2022. Am I reading this right?
Yes.
Old Dec 3, 2020, 7:58 pm
LAX

Programs: OZ Diamond
Originally Posted by ricepaddy2
What about free nights with CC? Would that get doubled as well? TIA.

LAX
Old Dec 3, 2020, 8:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
No (assuming by “free nights” you mean the free elite qualification nights and not free night certificates).

Last edited by coleslaw; Dec 4, 2020 at 5:16 am
Old Dec 3, 2020, 10:27 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LAX

LAX
Yes, they do get doubled. Please see the comments section (search "free night award") of the following link and you'll get confirmation of this.
https://onemileatatime.com/earn-hyatt-globalist-status/

Also, the Hyatt Q&A for this promotion (https://world.hyatt.com/content/gp/e...le-points.html) says:

5. What is considered an Eligible Stay?

For the purpose of this offer, an eligible stay is defined as any stay at a participating hotel where a member is paying an Eligible Rate or redeems a free night award for at least one night of their stay. Back-to-back nights at the same hotel will be considered one eligible stay. See complete terms and conditions on worldofhyatt.com for a list of participating M life Rewards and Small Luxury Hotels destinations. Only eligible stays after registration will qualify. Only stays with checkout dates after registration and on or prior to February 28, 2021 will qualify.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Dec 3, 2020 at 11:05 pm Reason: Add information
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:01 am

Having been out of the Hyatt loop since the advent of Globalist, I'm more than a little confused by the distinction between "eligible tier night" and "eligible stay" for purposes of this promotion. Most of the bloggers and some of Hyatt's pr releases imply that multiple successive nights at the same hotel would qualify as separate "tier nights" for purposes of this promotion. But posts here, with Hyatt website quotes" say that successive nights at the same hotel count only as one "stay." Which is it? Is there a distinction between "tier nights" and "stays" in terms of benefiting from this promotion?
Old Dec 4, 2020, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JetAway
Having been out of the Hyatt loop since the advent of Globalist, I'm more than a little confused by the distinction between "eligible tier night" and "eligible stay" for purposes of this promotion. Most of the bloggers and some of Hyatt's pr releases imply that multiple successive nights at the same hotel would qualify as separate "tier nights" for purposes of this promotion. But posts here, with Hyatt website quotes" say that successive nights at the same hotel count only as one "stay." Which is it? Is there a distinction between "tier nights" and "stays" in terms of benefiting from this promotion?
The World of Hyatt program only counts nights for status. No more stay alternative. So you do not have to hotel-hop like in the old days.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by toomanybooks
The World of Hyatt program only counts nights for status. No more stay alternative. So you do not have to hotel-hop like in the old days.
Very helpful-thanks. I bailed out in the "old days" and was still referencing "stays."
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:04 am

How often do you get an upgraded room or a suite based solely on being a globalist without using a suite upgrade? Thinking of planning a hawaii trip later next hear and would likely stay and grand hyatt kauai. Regency maui and andaz maui. The waived resort fees would be nice. But if you get upgraded most of the time based on status alone i think it would definitely make it worth trying to achieve globalist.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tcfersure
How often do you get an upgraded room or a suite based solely on being a globalist without using a suite upgrade? Thinking of planning a hawaii trip later next hear and would likely stay and grand hyatt kauai. Regency maui and andaz maui. The waived resort fees would be nice. But if you get upgraded most of the time based on status alone i think it would definitely make it worth trying to achieve globalist.
At these aspirational properties I would always use a tsu. Your chances of complimentary upgrade are low there. Since March I get upgraded to suites 100% of my stays, mostly HR GH Thompson Destination.
Old Dec 4, 2020, 10:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcfersure
In "normal" times, the HR Maui is the only one of the 3 you list where an upgrade just for being a Glob would even be possible, if not very likely. These properties are among the most aspirational and guests who want suites will assure they get them using points, upgrade awards, or $.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.