Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt reducing elite requirements for 2021

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm fully relaxed thank you and agree to some extent
Many a hotel in every brand in and out of Hyatt have chosen to diminish upgrades and breakfast benefits for elites during COVID,
I don't have a lot of data points on my own doing less than 1/3 of what I have done historically in yearly nights.
In confidence I've heard from some pretty high up management folks in Hyatt hotel properties they have the ability to weed out the Globalist lites
For that reason and to some extent other factors I have always believed some of the elite levels to be somewhat illusion like.
In an empty Sheraton Airport hotel as a lifetime Titanium recently for example receiving no breakfast and a standard room with suites going empty
I didn't mention it as I came in late and left early.
Now add all the newly Minted Bonjoy Plats coming in with their free elite status with a credit card.and no stays to date.
When things return back to somewhat normal the most sought after properties like Andaz Maui it could be an issue even without the added xtra elite burden
Especially properties where there is very limited pool of upgrades to pull from
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Assuming it’s available you’ll get the upgrade. If you’re concerned about Suite Upgrade availability at properties like Andaz Maui definitely use a TSU, that’s what they’re there for after all.
Even more reason to not care about 15-night Globalists - who will NOT have TSUs. Once the legacy TSUs are flushed out of the system, those who have been doing 60 nights in 2020 and 2021 will have very little competition at all for TSU-guaranteed suite upgrades in 2022 and beyond...
SF1K, Kacee, cuthroat and 2 others like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Even more reason to not care about 15-night Globalists - who will NOT have TSUs. Once the legacy TSUs are flushed out of the system, those who have been doing 60 nights in 2020 and 2021 will have very little competition at all for TSU-guaranteed suite upgrades in 2022 and beyond...
With Hawaii having some tough entry restrictions, New York having even tougher restrictions, and California considering another Stay At Home Order 2021 will be very interesting.

Travel to these 3 areas are Major for Hyatt and TSU usage.

I think a lot of people will have Globalist, but not retain it. I am interested to see if they are granted a Concierge since it’s supposedly a 60 Night Milestone, but it was granted to those who requalified this year via the extension, rather than by hitting the Milestone.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 3:36 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
I think a lot of people will have Globalist, but not retain it. I am interested to see if they are granted a Concierge since it’s supposedly a 60 Night Milestone, but it was granted to those who requalified this year via the extension, rather than by hitting the Milestone.
Seems pretty explicit here. Need the full 60 nights.

https://help.hyatt.com/en/faqs/world.../covid-19.html

18. If I currently have a My Hyatt Concierge, and maintain my tier, will I keep my My Hyatt Concierge or will I need to stay 60 qualifying nights?
My Hyatt Concierge is a Milestone Reward that is earned after staying 60 qualifying nights or earning 100,000 Base Points in a calendar year. Once you qualify, you have access to your My Hyatt Concierge for the remainder of the year in which you qualify plus 14 months.
Related to that, I'm assuming that those Globs that qualified with the requisite nights/points in 2019, but not 2020, would only get a Concierge through end of February 2021 (end of 2019 + 14 months), even though their Glob status was extended through end of February 2022.

Does that sound right?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 4:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by econ
Related to that, I'm assuming that those Globs that qualified with the requisite nights/points in 2019, but not 2020, would only get a Concierge through end of February 2021 (end of 2019 + 14 months), even though their Glob status was extended through end of February 2022.

Does that sound right?
Id think that the added cost of continuing to provide a concierge for this group would be much less than the benefit of the goodwill it would create for what is likely (in non covid times) their cash cow clients.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 5:35 am

If the differentiation/discrimination between Globalist "Lite" and Full Globalists becomes too obvious this promotion could have the unwanted side affect of actually turning potential new loyalists away from Hyatt. It's a fine line Hyatt and the hotels are going to have to follow with this. Hyatt is in the "hospitality" business after all.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by craigthemif
Those nights in Mexico would apply to 2021.
Yes, with rollover nights and credit card nights, I'll requalify on January 3.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by AndyKehn
What's confusing about it? Before the promo was extended, it would have ended 1/4. So if you have a stay with check out date before 1/1, you would earn 1 eqn for each night in 2020 and 1 eqn for each night in 2021 . However if your stay crosses into 2021 (start in 2020 and ends between 1/1-4) then all your nights count twice in 2021 and none in 2020. Example: 12/5-1/4 stay would earn 30x2 nights in 2021 and 0 in 2020, 12/5-12/31 stay would earn 26 nights in 2020 and 26 nights in 2021

Now if the extension is confirmed and the new end date is 2/28/2021, any stay with a check out date of 2/28 and before would earn 2x eqns for 2021. Example: 12/31-1/30 stay would earn 30x2 nights in 2021 and 0 in 2020.

Since globalist only requires 30 nights, do your maths to figure how many nights do you need to get there
Excellent post but using your example one would receive double 2021 night credits if checked in by Dec 31 2020 implying if check in date is Jan 1 and check out Jan 4 2021 the credit would be only 1 per night. So to receive 30 2021 nights credit after 15 nights a check in by Dec 31 2020 is required. Am I correct?
Old Dec 2, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver, Hilton Gold, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
Excellent post but using your example one would receive double 2021 night credits if checked in by Dec 31 2020 implying if check in date is Jan 1 and check out Jan 4 2021 the credit would be only 1 per night. So to receive 30 2021 nights credit after 15 nights a check in by Dec 31 2020 is required. Am I correct?
No because they extended the promotion through end of February.
rogo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HHonors OUTSIDER
I was using 12/31 in the example because thats the most confusing scenario. now that the promo is confirmed to be extended til 2/28, any stay with a check out between 1/1 and 2/28 would get 2x elite nights towards 2021 qualifications. Any stay with a check out in 2020 would get 1 eqn for 2020 and 1 eqn for 2021. The check in date doesnt matter now.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
If the differentiation/discrimination between Globalist "Lite" and Full Globalists becomes too obvious this promotion could have the unwanted side affect of actually turning potential new loyalists away from Hyatt.
I think few people aside from those wanting to make themselve believe they actually have a higher status level than the "lites" care about this.

Really, since milestone rewards were introduced, there is no logical reason to use the made-up term "glob lite". Or how do you refer to an Explorist with TSUs?
GUWonder and cuthroat like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
With Hawaii having some tough entry restrictions, New York having even tougher restrictions, and California considering another Stay At Home Order 2021 will be very interesting.

Travel to these 3 areas are Major for Hyatt and TSU usage.
Don't forget IL, the home of Hyatt.

Was talking to a Hyatt sales manager out by ORD and he said the governor's haphazard orders and changes are KILLING them.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 9:23 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by toomanybooks
Don't forget IL, the home of Hyatt.

Was talking to a Hyatt sales manager out by ORD and he said the governor's haphazard orders and changes are KILLING them.
Travel demand is down big time even for hotels that are open and pretty much operating like normal in places without government "orders and changes" (related to the pandemic) "killing them". And given something like a tenth to a third of pre-pandemic business travel is unlikely to come back for at least 2+ years (if ever), I can't say I'm surprised by Hyatt reducing elite status qualification requirements and keeping them lower (than pre-pandemic levels) into at least part of 2022 (if not longer in parts).

Chicago Hyatt hotels live off major event/conference-related attendance and people coming in for business/sales meetings, and that's not happening in this era where employers and vendors don't want to set themselves up with liability for endangering the lives and health of their employees and those coming into contact with them. A substantial chunk of business is being done via video calls instead of in-person get-togethers, and that is business "killing" business.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Do you guys think this promotion puts 100 nights in 2021 so crazily feasible?

I will start 2021 with almost 50 nights and getting 25 additional nights sounds like so easy in Jan/ Feb?

That is 1 cat4 night 1 cat7 night, 4 club upgrades, 4 suite upgrades, 100 USD, and a choice between 4 suite upgrades and 40000 points.

Am I missing sth.?
rogo likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Tommys888
Do you guys think this promotion puts 100 nights in 2021 so crazily feasible?

I will start 2021 with almost 50 nights and getting 25 additional nights sounds like so easy in Jan/ Feb?

That is 1 cat4 night 1 cat7 night, 4 club upgrades, 4 suite upgrades, 100 USD, and a choice between 4 suite upgrades and 40000 points.

Am I missing sth.?
I’m in the same boat. I expect to have 100 by end of Jan.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Travel demand is down big time even for hotels that are open and pretty much operating like normal in places without government "orders and changes" (related to the pandemic) "killing them". And given something like a tenth to a third of pre-pandemic business travel is unlikely to come back for at least 2+ years (if ever), I can't say I'm surprised by Hyatt reducing elite status qualification requirements and keeping them lower (than pre-pandemic levels) into at least part of 2022 (if not longer in parts).

Chicago Hyatt hotels live off major event/conference-related attendance and people coming in for business/sales meetings, and that's not happening in this era where employers and vendors don't want to set themselves up with liability for endangering the lives and health of their employees and those coming into contact with them. A substantial chunk of business is being done via video calls instead of in-person get-togethers, and that is business "killing" business.
Quoted for truth. Plus killing your employees (or severely injuring them) isn't exactly a rocket surgeon galaxy brain maneuver for workplace satisfaction and employee retention anyway, aside from the liability issues, unless you're trying to retain an employee corpse.

There's a whole bunch of hotels that are situated near conference centers, CBDs that aren't really tourist hotspots, airports, etc. and are in the black based on business traffic, that are going to have some serious problems if business travel's down 20-30% going forward, let alone 50% if Bill Gates is right. A bunch of leisure-oriented FTers who are snarfing up Globalist so they can get suites at the Andaz Maui/PH Maldives/etc. aren't going to save those hotels. Look at what's happening in Manhattan and multiply all over...
rogo and Pocatello like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.