Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Place Kyoto REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:25 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by fmkgb
Just completed a 5 night stay. Loved the hotel. It is stunning.

a few data points which may not have been mentioned:
* hotel is directly next to subway exit door #6. Go to south exit, door 6, at street level look directly to left to see hotel entrance about 20 feet away. Note, door 6 does not have an elevator. If you need elevator for luggage, etc I think door #3 had elevator to street level. Upon exit turn left and walk approx 1 1/2 blocks and hotel will be on opposite side of street.

* front desk staff lovely but lacking in English. I asked 3 different people about shipping my luggage to north Honshu and received different answers re time to arrive, deadline for pickup and price. Not sure if they didn’t understand my question or need more training in shipping procedures. Other questions also were greeted with a blank stare or 10 min searching internet and my still not getting an answer.

*hotel has prepared a book of restaurant suggestions in the area but it is In Japanese. I suggest a duplicate in English as I think hotel will get more and more westerners now that it is easier to enter Japan.

*the safe in room is tiny. Barely fit my iPad and a small bag. Laptop definitely will not fit.

* nespresso machine in lobby for all to partake. Also a microwave.

* of course all rooms had tea kettle , however You might want to bring your own tea. I didn’t care for their brands in the room or for breakfast. And the teacups have no handle so you either have to burn your hands drinking full cup of tea or keep refilling. Alternatively there are paper cups in lobby or I preferred to take an extra handled cup from breakfast every day and use that.

Great location near subway but some may prefer to be a bit more central. The Ace hotel seemed hopping but of course it is not helpful for those of us collecting Hyatt points.
Were you in a regular or garden view room? If so, was the view much nicer?
It’s about $10 difference per night. If no TSUs, I’d probably book that .
Old Oct 26, 2022, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by beachfan
Were you in a regular or garden view room? If so, was the view much nicer?
It’s about $10 difference per night. If no TSUs, I’d probably book that .
not sure if they consider my room (337) a garden view. It faced a slim very tall tree which was lovely. Originally I booked a standard king with only shower but upon checkin I asked for upgrade and they offered me a twin with bath, shower and couch. I think for $10 I’d opt for that and then they might upgrade you further if you requested. particularly if you are two people. I was one person and room was fine but for 2 might be tight. I was told this room a bit larger than standard king.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Unfortunately king premier sold out, as is the slightly larger king deluxe.

don’t understand why TSUs aren’t good here, but my concierge said no.
Old Oct 26, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Yes, great post! Are we sure they don’t take TSU‘s? We have one data point from the Twitter team saying no above but I didn’t know that Hyatt places were excluded from TSUs.
It seems, give him the rates in peak season, that there isn’t a strong reason to stay at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto? I’m trying to choose between the two ( park hyatt has no points availability).

The price fifference is around $80 night.
For a rate difference of US$80 I would go with the HR, probably on a Prive or Virtuoso rate to get the food credit, etc.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
For a rate difference of US$80 I would go with the HR, probably on a Prive or Virtuoso rate to get the food credit, etc.
thanks. Turns out it’s more like $100. Problem is that is still a smallish room (300 sq ft); to get a larger one is another $40 for only another 30-60 sq ft,

I’m also considering the Westin, where the point nights are reasonable given cash rates (63k:night, 5 night free). Room is 400 sq ft.. I stayed there 25 years ago and while the location isn’t central, it is pleasant and near some attractions,

Any thoughts on Westin vs HR? I’m both globalist and titanium, but it’s Sakura do I don’t expect upgrades.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 11:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
thanks. Turns out it’s more like $100. Problem is that is still a smallish room (300 sq ft); to get a larger one is another $40 for only another 30-60 sq ft,

I’m also considering the Westin, where the point nights are reasonable given cash rates (63k:night, 5 night free). Room is 400 sq ft.. I stayed there 25 years ago and while the location isn’t central, it is pleasant and near some attractions,

Any thoughts on Westin vs HR? I’m both globalist and titanium, but it’s Sakura do I don’t expect upgrades.
It has been years since we stayed at the Westin, but the club room we had was cramped and overcrowded with furniture, the bathroom was minuscule with an absolutely terrible shower, and the breakfast in the restaurant was mediocre in quality and dismal in ambience. On the other hand, if it is sakura season, the Westin is in close walking distance to some of the nicest sakura in Kyoto.
beachfan likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2023, 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by shonanroger
- They will tell you upfront that you won’t get an upgrade as a Globalist. Even if you’re not asking. Even not from Standard to Standard with Garden View. Sure, this is compliant to the WoH rules. But thinking about the generous upgrades I got at the HH Kanazawa, or the now rebranded HH Niseko, or upgrades I got at every European or other Asian HH or HP I stayed at, even as a Discoverist, that’s really stingy.
Similar experience...I checked in for two nights this past weekend. Here was the initial interaction with the check-in agent (this is almost word-for-word):

Me: I am checking in for two nights. Last name is XXX (hand over my passport).
Agent: Mr. XXX, I see you are Globalist. Please note that we do not offer upgrades, even for Globalists.
Me: Whatever room is fine (shrug my shoulders).
Agent: However, since this is your first stay, we have assigned you a deluxe room this time (bolded because the Agent heavily emphasized "this time"). Is this ok? (I guess this is an upgraded room?)
Me: Yes, even the base room s fine (shrug my shoulders again).

Since the hotel has apparently upgraded me on this first stay (to induce me to stay again in the future?), it seems very counter-intuitive to me to indicate that the upgrade would be given only on my first visit and not thereafter, and then expect me to stay at the hotel again?????

One strange "design" about my room (not sure if it is like this for every room, since I have not seen this in any photo) is that the floor of the room seems to be raised, EXCEPT for an approx. 1.2m x 0.8m section right at the entrance and to which the door opens. Thus, when you open the door and walk into the room, you immediately have to step up. Is this for heated floors (I doubt it)? Is this a Japanese design? It seems very dangerous to me to have this sunken "well" right at the door, near the washroom, and also near luggage cabinet. It could be a disaster for tripping oneself or getting sprained ankles. I had to be careful to avoid this well, especially during washroom trips at night.

As mentioned in other posts, the breakfast spread is great.

The School Bus Coffee Bakers shop next to the hotel (and to which there is an adjoining door from the hotel lobby) has some good bread, pastries, and coffee.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, AS MVP 75K
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
Similar experience...I checked in for two nights this past weekend. Here was the initial interaction with the check-in agent (this is almost word-for-word):

Me: I am checking in for two nights. Last name is XXX (hand over my passport).
Agent: Mr. XXX, I see you are Globalist. Please note that we do not offer upgrades, even for Globalists.
Me: Whatever room is fine (shrug my shoulders).
Agent: However, since this is your first stay, we have assigned you a deluxe room this time (bolded because the Agent heavily emphasized "this time"). Is this ok? (I guess this is an upgraded room?)
Me: Yes, even the base room s fine (shrug my shoulders again).

Since the hotel has apparently upgraded me on this first stay (to induce me to stay again in the future?), it seems very counter-intuitive to me to indicate that the upgrade would be given only on my first visit and not thereafter, and then expect me to stay at the hotel again?????

One strange "design" about my room (not sure if it is like this for every room, since I have not seen this in any photo) is that the floor of the room seems to be raised, EXCEPT for an approx. 1.2m x 0.8m section right at the entrance and to which the door opens. Thus, when you open the door and walk into the room, you immediately have to step up. Is this for heated floors (I doubt it)? Is this a Japanese design? It seems very dangerous to me to have this sunken "well" right at the door, near the washroom, and also near luggage cabinet. It could be a disaster for tripping oneself or getting sprained ankles. I had to be careful to avoid this well, especially during washroom trips at night.

The School Bus Coffee Bakers shop next to the hotel (and to which there is an adjoining door from the hotel lobby) has some good bread, pastries, and coffee.
So weird that a Hyatt Place of all property types doesn't proactively upgrade globalist like they're an Andaz Tokyo. I did book for May for 4 nights due to the New Year's sale of buy 3 nights get the 4th free, hoping for an upgrade but not going to freet if it doesn't come. Location is the most important thing IMO in Japan.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 12:35 pm

I haven't been to the HP Kyoto myself, but this sounds like a pretty standard feature in many Asian homes... the "shoe zone" where you leave your outside shoes, and then step up into the residence itself.
CoffeeTraveler likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 1:23 pm

Fly_Me_To_The_Moon That area is for shoes. In a lot of Asian homes with this area, when you walk in, people leave their outside shoes in that area. It's not specific to Japan. You'll see this all over Korea for example. This is the first time I'm hearing a hotel have this feature so that's interesting.
wilywombat likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Fly_Me_To_The_Moon That area is for shoes. In a lot of Asian homes with this area, when you walk in, people leave their outside shoes in that area. It's not specific to Japan. You'll see this all over Korea for example. This is the first time I'm hearing a hotel have this feature so that's interesting.
In all my years and years of travel in Japan and Korea, I have never seen this shoe area in a hotel. Indeed, interesting. I wonder if the entire room floor was indeed raised, just for the purpose of having this shoe area.
Old Jan 25, 2023, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

In all my years and years of travel in Japan and Korea, I have never seen this shoe area in a hotel. Indeed, interesting. I wonder if the entire room floor was indeed raised, just for the purpose of having this shoe area.
It doesn't happen at 5* properties in Korea but I have seen it at 3 and 4* ones in areas outside or Seoul.
Old Jan 29, 2023, 7:56 pm

I emailed the hotel twice with a couple of questions about their breakfast spread and never got a reply, so I thought I'd ask on here:

Are soy milk and yogurt available?
Old Jan 30, 2023, 3:52 am

Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I emailed the hotel twice with a couple of questions about their breakfast spread and never got a reply, so I thought I'd ask on here:

I had a yogurt; do not remember the brand.

Not sure about availability of soy milk.
sfvoyage likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sfvoyage

Yogurt is homemade in a small glass jar. Don't think it's made by Meiji or some other conglomerate.

Only seen normal cow's milk.
sfvoyage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.