Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:32 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I’m content with what Hyatt offers and how they offer it. Looking at market standards, quite simply Hyatt Globalist is in a class of it’s own. I’d like to keep it that way vs complaining for the sake of complaining. All I see are cuts, cuts, cuts when I look over at Marriott or Hilton. And I don’t even want to mention IHG.
This same argument is made every couple years when these sanctimony-filled tip threads pop up. I don't share the absurdly fatalistic view that if Globs complain about benefits, these benefits will be cut, nor do I believe it is fair to dismiss complaints about properties not honoring stated benefits as "complaining for the sake of complaining". The reality is that most Glob benefits aren't a "big deal" and everyone values benefits differently, but pretty much all Globs will have a benefit they value enough that they'd complain if properties refused to honor it.

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I agree with you but I also like to pick my battles. I'm not going to complain over a tiny amount. It's simply not worth my time.
Nothing wrong with picking battles. My point is that some people will pick this battle and it's unreasonable to attempt to dismiss those complaints.
skywalkerLAX likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
nor do I believe it is fair to dismiss complaints about properties not honoring stated benefits as "complaining for the sake of complaining".
Sure. Agreed. Some properties do seem to be misinformed about the gratuity however it sounds like it is usually handled without too much effort. My comment was more on the topic of Hyatt needing to perfect the breakfast gratuity mishaps. I’m Ok with status quo but I understand that’s how *I* see it. It’s a solid benefit and more often than not, works seamlessly. I guess I just have a different POV after seeing other brands cut drastically in recent years. Though like you said, it’s no reason to dismiss someone’s valid and reasonable complaint on a given benefit.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 10:46 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
The last thing I'd do if I received free breakfast for 4 more guests (that weren't booked as guest of honor) AND chose to write in a tip is to raise the issue with the hotel or concierge (which may get charged back to the employee).
​​​
Workers at Andaz Mayakoba do not make much money, but everyone I have talked to enjoys the stable work. Many spend two hours a day commuting on buses.

This property has gone above and beyond before for us, including coffee at one restaurant, day of arrival breakfast buffet, and day of departure buffet on a one night stay.

​​​​​​/I'm in the "globalist-included" club. It has earned some curious faces when servers see this, but if they call or talk go their manager to clarify they have always had a smile on their face when done. The one exception is when I ask for and receive restaurant breakfast in lieu of lounge breakfast. In those cases I tip cash because I KNOW the waitstaff is not tipped as a matter of course.

Old Feb 7, 2020, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
So as an update -

It looks like maybe when I checked out a manager looked at my folio and noticed it should’ve been waived off but wasn’t. I didn’t ask them because it was only a 1 night stay so it wasn’t enough to make an issue out of for me. Had it been a multi-night stay and I saw it was not being waived off I may have casually asked.

But anyways I was sent two email folios after checkout one said I was being charged the gratuity the other blank. Which leaves me to suspect a manager saw it after checking out (they said there were only 2 other Globs there during my stay).

Checked my CC and it was no longer pending it was off, then checked my WOH account and 0 points earned for the stay meaning nothing was charged. On the folio that was charging the gratuity it said 60 points eligible for WOH meaning if it would’ve been charged those points would’ve been earned.

For the future I think we will just write in “Globalist Included” that way if there is a service charge already we don’t have to worry about it, and if there isn’t then the gratuity will be covered by the benefit and hopefully the server does get it.
Old Feb 11, 2020, 3:42 pm

Programs: UA Plat, AA Plat Pro, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat
How does this work on pre-paid rates? Will they refund you the destination fee at check-out or are you stuck with it?

I 99% of the time book flexible rates so I haven’t had any personal experience with this despite being a Globalist for the past several years.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Does anyone have experience when getting “globalist breakfast for a stay where the rate itself also includes breakfast? Does the globalist status “trump” the rate breakfast and should I expect tips to be included?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My benchmark expectation would be that you can either choose the breakfast included in your rate or the Glob breakfast, and then obey the rules (amount, number of items, number of people, etc.) that correspond to your choice. If you pick the Glob breakfast (IIRC normally one entree and coffee/juice), the tip is included, but if you instead pick the room rate breakfast (perhaps because it's up to a fixed amount, so you have more flexibility in what you can order), then you should tip if the rate doesn't include the tip.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My benchmark expectation would be that you can either choose the breakfast included in your rate or the Glob breakfast, and then obey the rules (amount, number of items, number of people, etc.) that correspond to your choice. If you pick the Glob breakfast (IIRC normally one entree and coffee/juice), the tip is included, but if you instead pick the room rate breakfast (perhaps because it's up to a fixed amount, so you have more flexibility in what you can order), then you should tip if the rate doesn't include the tip.
In my case the breakfasts are both the same (order anything / as much as you want as a replacement to the usual buffet setup that was taken away for COVID reasons).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:09 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by coleslaw
In my case the breakfasts are both the same (order anything / as much as you want as a replacement to the usual buffet setup that was taken away for COVID reasons).
Then, unless the number of people is an issue, pick the Glob breakfast, tip included.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 5:46 pm

Then, unless the number of people is an issue, pick the Glob breakfast, tip included.
That’s the thing - I haven’t actually been offered a choice. They just keep saying “breakfast is included”. I’m just not really sure how much I should push the “tips should be included” line unless I am confident that it’s correct.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by coleslaw
That’s the thing - I haven’t actually been offered a choice. They just keep saying “breakfast is included”. I’m just not really sure how much I should push the “tips should be included” line unless I am confident that it’s correct.
Globalist supersedes so you're entitled to that either way which means your tip is included. There is zero standing to argue it's not.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:29 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Globalist supersedes so you're entitled to that either way which means your tip is included. There is zero standing to argue it's not.
It's VERY VERY simple. Do this - where it says GRATUITY - write "GLOBALIST TIP" and total the amount with no tip.

This will ensure the server gets what Hyatt pays.

The issue is that many are not trained/don't realize how to key it all in correctly in the accounting system. So it gets screwed up. A lot.

Since I started doing this, my servers have been happy AND I've had zero issue getting the tip covered by Hyatt.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
It's VERY VERY simple. Do this - where it says GRATUITY - write "GLOBALIST TIP" and total the amount with no tip.

This will ensure the server gets what Hyatt pays.

The issue is that many are not trained/don't realize how to key it all in correctly in the accounting system. So it gets screwed up. A lot.

Since I started doing this, my servers have been happy AND I've had zero issue getting the tip covered by Hyatt.
I write INCLUDED in the space for the tip amount and then write "Globalist breakfast--please add the standard tip for this property. Thank you." on the receipt that I sign and leave on the table. This also seems to make it less likely that the breakfast will appear on my bill.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm at the HR Jersey City right now. 2 night stay.

Yesterday on the breakfast bill, there was an 18% service charge included. So I didn't add anything.

Today there is no service charge on the bill.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 9:40 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I write INCLUDED in the space for the tip amount and then write "Globalist breakfast--please add the standard tip for this property. Thank you." on the receipt that I sign and leave on the table. This also seems to make it less likely that the breakfast will appear on my bill.
What I do now based on advice from this thread. I write globalist in the tip section and a line through the total. And off I go.

If tip is included and a final total is shown - I cross out the total and write Globalist next to it, sign, and off I go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.