Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:39 am

My take.

I’ve always assumed “service charge” and tip/gratuity are the same and generally forgo tipping above the service charge unless I required something out of the ordinary from staff. During those occasions where I do tip extra, I’ll generally do so in cash and write “cash” on the tip line, otherwise it’s just a line to signify nothing extra.

While I may expect the tip excluded from my bill when tipping with a CC, I recall seeing it appear at a few properties on my bill; however, it was small enough where I felt raising the issue wasn’t worth the potential conflict with a property where I hoped to return. Sometimes, you just have to pick your battles, and certainly not worth the risk of having the “tip on comped breakfast complaint” notation on my file.

Not suggesting this is the case with the OP or anyone on this thread, but being labeled a “cheapskate” is something best avoided.
59Impala, MarkOK and Hydro88 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:12 am

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Originally Posted by Visconti
Not suggesting this is the case with the OP or anyone on this thread, but being labeled a “cheapskate” is something best avoided.

very true
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Of course no one would want to be labeled internally (or any way for that matter) as a “cheapskate” for a few bucks, not exactly a good thing to have in your file. They may mistake you for Chandler or Ross from Friends where they take literally everything possible from the hotel.

Anyways I’m reviving this thread because I have a question. I dined at a Hyatt restaurant this morning for Glob Breakfast because there was no lounge and this is what I was told. I received the check, reviewed it thoroughly so there would be no discrepancy. I noted no service charge and/or automatic gratuity added to the bill. Due to this I added the 15% recommended gratuity. When I look at room charges it says the tip is being charged to the room. It’s not a huge issue where I’d want to make an issue of it with the hotel. But i’d just like a second opinion. What do you think based on the receipt? It does specifically say that gratuity was not already included as well at the bottom.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:32 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Making it too complicated. "Globalist Included" is all you need to write on the tip line. Let them work it out. They all have processes for this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:43 am

In this sort of cases (re OP: your question from today, not your initial post), I write-in the tip / gratuity and it is usually auto-removed from my folio on the morning of my check-out date. When it is not, a simple call to FD is all that's needed.

I don't agree with writing "Globalist included" or such on the tip line, because I don't want to stiff my waiter, as I'm pretty sure anything other than a numeric entry on the tip line equals $0 for the waiter.

OTOH, I do see some of the well-versed Hyatt's / waiters, who confirm in-advance if I'm there for 'Globalist / included breakfast' and then they preclude a 20% grat on my check (whether hand written or pre-printed). This happens even when I'm solo. I don't always agree with this practice for various reasons (ie the lack of service received to warrant an auto 20% tip) irrespective of who/how that tip is being paid.
Matt4200 likes this.

Last edited by CodeAdam10; Feb 5, 2020 at 10:51 am
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:48 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4200
Of course no one would want to be labeled internally (or any way for that matter) as a “cheapskate” for a few bucks, not exactly a good thing to have in your file. They may mistake you for Chandler or Ross from Friends where they take literally everything possible from the hotel.

Anyways I’m reviving this thread because I have a question. I dined at a Hyatt restaurant this morning for Glob Breakfast because there was no lounge and this is what I was told. I received the check, reviewed it thoroughly so there would be no discrepancy. I noted no service charge and/or automatic gratuity added to the bill. Due to this I added the 15% recommended gratuity. When I look at room charges it says the tip is being charged to the room. It’s not a huge issue where I’d want to make an issue of it with the hotel. But i’d just like a second opinion. What do you think based on the receipt? It does specifically say that gratuity was not already included as well at the bottom.
This restaurant is usually very good at showing the added 15% service charge, which several servers have assured me is the gratuity. The key is making sure the server knows you're a Glob. Several know us by now, but the ones that don't usually ask for the room number or if breakfast is included. The "gratuity not included" shows up regardless, but the service charge is very obvious.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I have this happening where the Front Desk refused to remove and stated tip is not included. I now have ticket open with Hyatt. They said--"As you can see on your final Folio the charges that were applied, are the amount of the tip given at the restaurant.

Since tips are paid for by the guest, the tip c

an not be refunded." Which I sent back the terms and conditions. I have not heard back but it has been over a week so I will send another email.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Personally I prefer to write the tip and then ask about it if it's not removed automatically.

If tip were not covered by Hyatt I would obviously tip. So if there is a mix-up, I would rather that I pay for the tip than that the server get stiffed.

The problem with writing "globalist included" is that if you are at a hotel that believes that the tip is not included (as many seem to, though I've never had this issue personally) the server will not get anything. It's not like the server is going to look up the WoH terms and see that gratuity is supposed to be included. Most globalists probably don't even know this (remember that the FT crowd is not representative of the customer base at large)

At the end of the day, if it turns out that I have to pay an extra $5, I can live with that.
IAD_flyer likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 1:49 pm

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I have this happening where the Front Desk refused to remove and stated tip is not included. I now have ticket open with Hyatt. They said--"As you can see on your final Folio the charges that were applied, are the amount of the tip given at the restaurant.

Since tips are paid for by the guest, the tip c

an not be refunded." Which I sent back the terms and conditions. I have not heard back but it has been over a week so I will send another email.

I SEE 6 buffet breakfasts. Were all 6 Globalist breakfast benefit?
Old Feb 5, 2020, 2:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
I SEE 6 buffet breakfasts. Were all 6 Globalist breakfast benefit?
I had 3 room booked and was given breakfast for all rooms.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by skj
This restaurant is usually very good at showing the added 15% service charge, which several servers have assured me is the gratuity. The key is making sure the server knows you're a Glob. Several know us by now, but the ones that don't usually ask for the room number or if breakfast is included. The "gratuity not included" shows up regardless, but the service charge is very obvious.
Weird because I looked the receipt up and down, but can’t seem to find the “service charge”. I know some properties do have the “service charge” and as you said it is the gratuity. But in this case there’s no service charge applied which should mean a Glob can leave (reasonable) gratuity and it be included in the Charges that are removed.

Unless you’re seeing something I’m not on the receipt.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:13 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The problem with writing "globalist included" is that if you are at a hotel that believes that the tip is not included (as many seem to, though I've never had this issue personally) the server will not get anything. It's not like the server is going to look up the WoH terms and see that gratuity is supposed to be included. Most globalists probably don't even know this (remember that the FT crowd is not representative of the customer base at large).
In the 100+ times I've done this, not once has a server or manager come chasing after me asking if there was an issue, as can happen when one does not tip. I'm 100% comfortable with this process. I've no longer had to deal with the front desk over the issue either. In each of those instances where I used to leave a tip and it showed up on the folio, I was told that it was already included (WOH benefit quoted) and they assumed I wanted to leave extra. I have yet to see a location that believes the tip is not included.
joe_miami likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
In the 100+ times I've done this, not once has a server or manager come chasing after me asking if there was an issue, as can happen when one does not tip. I'm 100% comfortable with this process. I've no longer had to deal with the front desk over the issue either. In each of those instances where I used to leave a tip and it showed up on the folio, I was told that it was already included (WOH benefit quoted) and they assumed I wanted to leave extra. I have yet to see a location that believes the tip is not included.
I always write in a tip (when there is no service charge included) and I've never had it show up on the folio.

Once I did have a very small amount show up (far less than the tip amount). I'm not completely sure what that was. I probably tipped slightly too much (maybe I tipped 20% and their policy was to cover 18%, or maybe I just rounded up from 20% and their policy was 20% exactly, or something like that. It was something on the order of $1 or $2 for a breakfast for two; I didn't care and didn't bring it up)
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:59 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Weird because I looked the receipt up and down, but can’t seem to find the “service charge”. I know some properties do have the “service charge” and as you said it is the gratuity. But in this case there’s no service charge applied which should mean a Glob can leave (reasonable) gratuity and it be included in the Charges that are removed.

Unless you’re seeing something I’m not on the receipt.
Did the server ask for your room number, or if you had breakfast included in your rate (which would then lead to the room number question) ? I assume not, as the room number doesn't show on your receipt. If you're still there tomorrow morning, make sure the server knows you're a Glob either before or when they bring the check. If I get a receipt that doesn't show the service charge, I'll ask and the server can quickly go back and print on out that does.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Weird because I looked the receipt up and down, but can’t seem to find the “service charge”.
Seriously? There's a line that clearly says SVC Charge for $6.47. That's the 15% that they cover. Your $10 is listed as Charge Tip, which is not covered.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.