Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2023, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm at the HR Jersey City right now. 2 night stay.

Yesterday on the breakfast bill, there was an 18% service charge included. So I didn't add anything.

Today there is no service charge on the bill.
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
What I do now based on advice from this thread. I write globalist in the tip section and a line through the total. And off I go.

If tip is included and a final total is shown - I cross out the total and write Globalist next to it, sign, and off I go.
I just added $5 and totaled it. This is what I usually do. Apart from a very small number of hotels that just ignore the Hyatt terms, it's always been taken off. I would be surprised to have issues at a HR.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I just added $5 and totaled it. This is what I usually do. Apart from a very small number of hotels that just ignore the Hyatt terms, it's always been taken off. I would be surprised to have issues at a HR.
Hyatt Manchester Grand charged me $4 for a tip at their restaurant (although as a courtesy removed the food charges) since they have a lounge the restaurant isn't part of the Globalist offering.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt Manchester Grand charged me $4 for a tip at their restaurant (although as a courtesy removed the food charges) since they have a lounge the restaurant isn't part of the Globalist offering.
They let you eat breakfast at the restaurant even though it's not part of the globalist offering? That's very nice of them. I certainly wouldn't worry about the tip if I got that deal.

Is it standard for them to allow that upon request? I usually prefer to stay at the Andaz but I will occasionally stay at the Manchester Grand if it's significantly cheaper.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 10:24 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
They let you eat breakfast at the restaurant even though it's not part of the globalist offering? That's very nice of them. I certainly wouldn't worry about the tip if I got that deal.

Is it standard for them to allow that upon request? I usually prefer to stay at the Andaz but I will occasionally stay at the Manchester Grand if it's significantly cheaper.
Agreed, that's why I didn't say anything. I wouldn't bother with the restaurant, it wasn't much better than the lounge imo (although they had avocado toast on awesome bread). But if you want to - just ask at check-in. That's what I did and they offered me a one time courtesy at the restaurant so I could compare to the lounge. It was nice of them
Old Nov 25, 2023, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Agreed, that's why I didn't say anything. I wouldn't bother with the restaurant, it wasn't much better than the lounge imo (although they had avocado toast on awesome bread). But if you want to - just ask at check-in. That's what I did and they offered me a one time courtesy at the restaurant so I could compare to the lounge. It was nice of them
They’ve been known to go above and beyond for their guests.

I think there’s several posts in the property thread about people eating at the restaurant though. I know during COVID it was just the cafe fof breakfast.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 5:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
OMG it's $4.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
OMG it's $4.
And I paid it.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
And I paid it.
This is a subject on which peoples' views differ, but personally I have no issue paying the tip out of pocket for good service. In fact, I prefer it, because that way I know staff is actually getting a fair tip. In the US, I'll typically leave a cash tip for good service even though it's theoretically covered as Globalist benefit.
Old Nov 26, 2023, 12:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
This is a subject on which peoples' views differ, but personally I have no issue paying the tip out of pocket for good service. In fact, I prefer it, because that way I know staff is actually getting a fair tip. In the US, I'll typically leave a cash tip for good service even though it's theoretically covered as Globalist benefit.
We don’t really know what happens to that tip.

I often add a little extra but it usually doesn’t show up on my folio. Does that mean Hyatt is paying for the extra tip or it wiped off whatever extra I added so that the staff only get the default amount? Who knows?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.