Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond

Just stayed at a property and was not informed of their breakfast policy at check in. For gratuity it’s automatically charged as a 15% service charge.

Globalist Benefit terms state that Breakfast along with “tax, gratuity and service charges” are covered.

On the receipt I didn’t notice the 15% service charge so I left gratuity for each day of our stay about $10 per breakfast (20% of the total bill pre-tax). Thinking at checkout it’d be taken off the room charges.

Considering the terms state “gratuity and service charges” , rather than gratuity or service charges, does this mean that the “service charge” along with the gratuity we left should’ve been covered?

The manager insisted they’ve never covered gratuity and scoffed when I showed them the WOH terms saying gratuity is covered. Additionally they said the 15% service charge is charged to everyone, not just Globalists or people using vouchers.

Old Jan 14, 2020, 2:49 pm

Programs: Marriott Platium. Hyatt Globlist. United Member. WN A-list w/CP. Frontier Elite 100K.
I recently sent in my bill to Hyatt where the service charge was not paid by the hotel.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
OP should not have been charged TAs, gratuity, or service charge for breakfast. However, OP is certainly permitted to leave an additional tip voluntarily and should not expect the hotel to cover or refund the amount of the tip.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 3:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OP should not have been charged TAs, gratuity, or service charge for breakfast. However, OP is certainly permitted to leave an additional tip voluntarily and should not expect the hotel to cover or refund the amount of the tip.
But T&C say they’ll cover gratuity. Also if you look at the receipt they marked the tip I left as a “service charge”.

So is it that they cover service charges or gratuity or and gratuity because T&C reads “Gratuity and Service Charges” which would mean both.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:02 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
LOL oh Matt. So if you had left a 500 USD tip you'd expect Hyatt to cover that, too?

The terms read "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges)" Find your mistake...
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hydro88
LOL oh Matt. So if you had left a 500 USD tip you'd expect Hyatt to cover that, too?

The terms read "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges)" Find your mistake...
No, I’d expect it to be implied that they’d cover up to 20% as does trip delay coverage, 10-20% is the standard gratuity across the US.

Still not seeing my “mistake”.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:24 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Your mistake is that you are relying on what you think the terms might imply, rather than going by what they state.

Read the sentence again: "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges)"

Also, do the terms only apply to properties in the US?
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by Hydro88
Your mistake is that you are relying on what you think the terms might imply, rather than going by what they state.

Read the sentence again: "Globalists will receive daily complimentary full breakfast (which includes one entrée or standard breakfast buffet, juice, and coffee, as well as tax, gratuity and service charges)"

Also, do the terms only apply to properties in the US?
I'm utterly at a loss as to what you're so sure about here.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SamOF
I'm utterly at a loss as to what you're so sure about here.
Same here.

They clearly state “gratuity and service charges.”

Meaning both are covered if both are charged. If it read and/or then it would mean one or the other, but it doesn’t.

Common sense would imply a 10-20% cap this is the only implication I am making. Other than that it appears cut and dry.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
If there's a 15-20% service charge already on the bill, there's no need for an additional tip IMO. I don't care what the local "tipping culture" is... if there is a mandatory charge for service, then I assume that goes to the servers... (if it doesn't, they really need to find new employers)

There is also no reasonable expectation that you can write down any tip amount you desire and expect Hyatt to pay it.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:24 pm

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
depends on how you define "cover." it could easily mean "include" i.e ""development officers whose work would cover a large area" and your meaning which is "protect/insured" i.e "your contents are now covered against accidental loss or damage in transit" Both are valid.

Your definition makes sense in the context of the "covererage" of trip delays as it means you are protected and insured. So reimbursement makes sense.

I don't think it makes sense for the T&C to insure or protect you from adding gratuity and service charges for breakfast. So reimbursement doesn't make sense.

It does make sense that the word "cover" in this context to mean that your gratuity and service charges are already included and you don't have to pay additional unless you want to.

you know what they say... common sense ain't so common
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:43 pm

it does not cover a tip you choose to leave on top of the pre applied gratuity.

this is one of the cheaper things i have read on this forum so far.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
If I leave an additional tip on top of any included gratuity, I don't expect the hotel to cover it.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
If I leave an additional tip on top of any included gratuity, I don't expect the hotel to cover it.
Fully agree.

I also agree that the policy should be stated more clearly. Perhaps 15% gratuity included as standard--that's what I assume happens but it would be nice to clarify.

I generally add a couple/few dollars additional tip, and I expect to see it on my bill. It isn't always there (though then I usually wonder if the server got my additional tip or not).
nexusCFX likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2020, 6:00 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee
Agreed. If I don't want to leave an additional gratuity beyond what the hotel is claiming to give the server, I just cross out the total and write "Included" on the gratuity line. If I want to leave an additional gratuity beyond that (which I usually do if the service is even halfway decent), I add an additional amount on the gratuity line or leave cash. But if I add an additional gratuity myself, I don't expect the property to remove it from my portfolio (though some do anyways).

However, I also agree it is a gray area that different properties seem to deal with differently, and it would be nice if Hyatt just came out with clearer instructions regarding what the proper method is. I think the concern some might have is if you leave no tip at all on the receipt, perhaps the server gets stiffed by the property and doesn't receive a tip.
JIMCHI and IAD_flyer like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.