Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Tax, gratuity and service charges” Globalist Benefit

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Seriously? There's a line that clearly says SVC Charge for $6.47. That's the 15% that they cover. Your $10 is listed as Charge Tip, which is not covered.
Ah, you’re looking at the original post which I agree has a service charge and have since come to terms with that being the gratuity. In that case even though FD nor the server advised me over the course of several days that the tip was already included and marked as the service charge. So it was sort of my fault as I was uneducated to the system, though I still feel FD or a server over multiple days should’ve said something in that case.

The comment you quoted was in regards to a different stay following the first stay in which no service charge or gratuity was shown. Take a look below -

Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by skj
Did the server ask for your room number, or if you had breakfast included in your rate (which would then lead to the room number question) ? I assume not, as the room number doesn't show on your receipt. If you're still there tomorrow morning, make sure the server knows you're a Glob either before or when they bring the check. If I get a receipt that doesn't show the service charge, I'll ask and the server can quickly go back and print on out that does.
Server did not ask even if we were hotel guests she kept a distance, she didn’t speak much English she would just nod when we asked for something. Unfortunately I’m not staying tomorrow. She dropped off the check in the middle of the meal, we filled it out promptly assuming she had to leave. She grabbed it saw the room number, name everything and we left maybe 10-15 minutes after that. So I’d want to believe if she knew it was a Globalist thing to add a service charge she would’ve asked after seeing the check being billed to the room.

Do you think all properties have a button at the restaurant to just add a 15% charge? I’ve read a lot of comments that at some properties you do need to put in a tip and it does get waived off.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:47 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
I always write-in a tip amount for a globalist breakfast unless some dollar amount is explicitly added as gratuity. While that doesn't guarantee that the hotel won't stiff the wait staff, I think that is the method that makes it most likely the wait staff will get a tip.

If the tip is above what is covered, then I likely will have a few dollars on my check-out folio, and that is fine.
However, there have been times when I tipped rather high for exceptional service, and they did not necessarily make it to my folio, which makes me suspect what I write is not necessarily what gets to the wait staff.

If the full tip amount shows on my folio, I email my globalist concierge and it is always immediately corrected.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant
I always write-in a tip amount for a globalist breakfast unless some dollar amount is explicitly added as gratuity. While that doesn't guarantee that the hotel won't stiff the wait staff, I think that is the method that makes it most likely the wait staff will get a tip.

If the tip is above what is covered, then I likely will have a few dollars on my check-out folio, and that is fine.
However, there have been times when I tipped rather high for exceptional service, and they did not necessarily make it to my folio, which makes me suspect what I write is not necessarily what gets to the wait staff.

If the full tip amount shows on my folio, I email my globalist concierge and it is always immediately corrected.
Interesting -

So it showed up under my room charges in the app, then after checkout I received an email with my folio where it showed the tip being charged to the folio and my visa. Then without contacting FD or anyone 5 minutes later I received a separate email showing a folio with no charges. The first email has a folio number, the 2nd has no folio number it’s blank in that space. So I’m not sure if that’s just a glitch or if I’ll be charged. I’ll wait a couple days and look at my CC to see if it falls off or posts. But that’s pretty strange.

It was at Shula’s Steakhouse which I believe you had said you’d been more than a few times HC.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:42 pm
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
i typically ask the waiter if he gets a tip on Glob breakfasts. so far it has always been the case. then i simply write "Globailst" in the tip field and am sure the waiter gets it.

in poorer countries, i usually put a cash tip, which is then on top.

Last edited by 59Impala; Feb 6, 2020 at 4:59 am
Old Feb 6, 2020, 4:40 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Matt4200
So it showed up under my room charges in the app, then after checkout I received an email with my folio where it showed the tip being charged to the folio and my visa. Then without contacting FD or anyone 5 minutes later I received a separate email showing a folio with no charges. The first email has a folio number, the 2nd has no folio number it’s blank in that space. So I’m not sure if that’s just a glitch or if I’ll be charged. I’ll wait a couple days and look at my CC to see if it falls off or posts. But that’s pretty strange.
I suspect the 2 folios were because you were in a suite, with 2 different room numbers. I don't think it has anything to do with breakfast or tips. When the stay posts to your account, there will be 2 entries for the same property and date. One will show your spend and points earnings and the other will be for 0 points.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 7:58 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I had 3 room booked and was given breakfast for all rooms.
Globalist is entitled to free breakfast for 2 in same room, per WoH T&C, including gratuities. Benefits extended to additional rooms are hotel specific and not a defined benefit. Thus, gratuities cannot be assumed to be covered. I would consider this situation as having free breakfast for 4 additional guests and you should expect to pay gratuities. This is not an issue for WoH to address.

If the bill only covered 2 breakfast, then gratuities should definitely be covered. But since there are 6 breakfasts, you'd be arguing that Globalist benefits include gratuities for 2, and you should pay for the other 4. You came out ahead with free breakfast for 4 additional people.
CodeAdam10 and joe_miami like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:09 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by 59Impala
i typically ask the waiter if he gets a tip on Glob breakfasts. so far it has always been the case. then i simply write "Globailst" in the tip field and am sure the waiter gets it.

in poorer countries, i usually put a cash tip, which is then on top.

I do this. CLEARLY Hyatt should do something to make this benefit more streamline and user friendly for Everyone involved.
59Impala likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:25 am

Just put in 20% that's what I do, in 99% of the cases it's completely wiped off my bill and in the 1% where it isn't it's a couple of bucks.

I don't know why this is such a big deal?
Old Feb 6, 2020, 8:39 am

[QUOTE=ZBigFam;32039774]Just put in 20% that's what I do, in 99% of the cases it's completely wiped off my bill and in the 1% where it isn't it's a couple of bucks.

I don't know why this is such a big deal?[/QUOTE]

Can say that about every thread on FF.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Just put in 20% that's what I do, in 99% of the cases it's completely wiped off my bill and in the 1% where it isn't it's a couple of bucks.

I don't know why this is such a big deal?
It's not a big deal - neither are a lot of Glob or loyalty program benefits - but it doesn't have to be a big deal for paying customers to reasonably have a complaint.

Ultimately, loyalty program benefits are either honored or they aren't. If they aren't, that's a problem, period. Loyalty program members shouldn't feel obligated to make up for properties not honoring stated benefits.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HoustonConsultant

The tip is covered internally. Otherwise, the maximum tip percentage assuredly would be detailed in the T&Cs.

I always write "Globalist - Tip Included" and have never heard any complaints from servers, including on multi-night stays where they see me multiple times.

Originally Posted by MileHighColorado
I had 3 room booked and was given breakfast for all rooms.
They comped breakfast for six people across three rooms but you filed a complaint because they didn't also comp the tip* for three rooms?

This is why we can't have nice things.

(* It is, however, lame for the hotel to start the recommended tip at 18%, for a buffet, in a country where the standard tip is 10%.)
MSPeconomist and CodeAdam10 like this.

Last edited by joe_miami; Feb 6, 2020 at 12:44 pm
Old Feb 6, 2020, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The tip is covered internally. Otherwise, the maximum tip percentage assuredly would be detailed in the T&Cs.

I always write "Globalist - Tip Included" and have never heard any complaints from servers, including on multi-night stays where they see me multiple times.

They comped breakfast for six people across three rooms but you filed a complaint because they didn't also comp the tip* for three rooms?

This is why we can't have nice things.

(* It is, however, lame for the hotel to start the recommended tip at 18%, for a buffet, in a country where the standard tip is 10%.)
Old Feb 6, 2020, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by creativeguess1
CLEARLY Hyatt should do something to make this benefit more streamline and user friendly for Everyone involved.
I’m content with what Hyatt offers and how they offer it. Looking at market standards, quite simply Hyatt Globalist is in a class of it’s own. I’d like to keep it that way vs complaining for the sake of complaining. All I see are cuts, cuts, cuts when I look over at Marriott or Hilton. And I don’t even want to mention IHG.
ZBigFam, 59Impala and joe_miami like this.
Old Feb 6, 2020, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gengar
It's not a big deal - neither are a lot of Glob or loyalty program benefits - but it doesn't have to be a big deal for paying customers to reasonably have a complaint.

Ultimately, loyalty program benefits are either honored or they aren't. If they aren't, that's a problem, period. Loyalty program members shouldn't feel obligated to make up for properties not honoring stated benefits.
I agree with you but I also like to pick my battles. I'm not going to complain over a tiny amount. It's simply not worth my time.

If the whole breakfast is on the folio, I'll mention it when I check out. If the whole tip is on there, I'll mention it when I check out, and, if it's not taken off, email my concierge (this has never happened to me BTW). If I have a $45 breakfast for 2 people and I leave a $10 tip and they charge me $1 because they only tip their servers 20%, I'm not going to complain because I don't care.
ZBigFam and 59Impala like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.