Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2022, 4:09 am

Perhaps the shower door was supposed to open the other way? Pull instead of push.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

That bathroom looks like it came out of GH Incheon's suites. How many stains does it take for that rug to be changed? Or steam cleaned?

Sounds like a terrible experience and thanks for taking one for the team. GM doesn't lead at all it seems and the poor Lounge Manager. Give that person a shoutout on Twitter or Facebook.

I’ve noticed a lot of hotels fighting back on Globalist early check-ins and reminding us that it’s 3pm. 5pm seems unacceptable when using a hotel car. A better hotel might have just given you a higher suite for using car service and being a Globalist.

I would go with Andaz or the upcoming Rosewood (late 2023) for your next stay. Rosewood will definitely check you in as soon as you arrive.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 4, 2022 at 6:26 am
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:29 am
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
That bathroom looks like it came out of GH Incheon's suites. Sounds like a terrible experience and thanks for taking one for the team. GM doesn't lead at all it seems and the poor Lounge Manager. Give that person a shoutout on Twitter or Facebook. I’ve noticed a lot of hotels fighting back on Globalist early check-ins and reminding us that it’s 3pm. 5pm seems unacceptable when using a hotel car. A better hotel might have just given you a higher suite for using car service and being a Globalist.

I would go with Andaz or the upcoming Rosewood (late 2023) for your next stay. Rosewood will definitely check you in as soon as you arrive.
Agreed. I’ve never had this occur before. The lack of communication from the GM made it more galling.

No apology, no recovery, just nothing.

I think they know they operate at 100% with cruise and leisure guests, they don’t actually care.

The lobby is full of people waiting for their rooms well after 4/5PM from what I witnessed.

Last night we needed a prescription and asked for a hotel recommended Doctor. They said they don’t know. I expect this at a Travelodge.

I think the saddest part is that all the staff are delightful. So kind, warm and generous. They are let down by poor management.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Agreed. I’ve never had this occur before. The lack of communication from the GM made it more galling.

No apology, no recovery, just nothing.

I think they know they operate at 100% with cruise and leisure guests, they don’t actually care.

The lobby is full of people waiting for their rooms well after 4/5PM from what I witnessed.

Last night we needed a prescription and asked for a hotel recommended Doctor. They said they don’t know. I expect this at a Travelodge.

I think the saddest part is that all the staff are delightful. So kind, warm and generous. They are let down by poor management.
Hyatt GMs are a long way from Marc’s high standards these days. Some sound practically automated to me. I would find it more appalling that you’ve been in touch and the GM went silent upon arrival. You should put his feet to the fire with Consumer Affairs.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Yeah - the army of Viking cruisers is a huge downer, tons of them there on my late June stay.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:10 am
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aventine
Hyatt GMs are a long way from Marc’s high standards these days. Some sound practically automated to me. I would find it more appalling that you’ve been in touch and the GM went silent upon arrival. You should put his feet to the fire with Consumer Affairs.
I normally would, but in this occasion I just want to forget it.

The rest of this vacation are true luxury hotels so I shall enjoy that!
Aventine likes this.
Old Aug 4, 2022, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I normally would, but in this occasion I just want to forget it.

The rest of this vacation are true luxury hotels so I shall enjoy that!
Enjoy the rest of your trip.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:42 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
We stayed in the same suite (or one like it) in December 2021 and I thought it was great. It was at the beginning of the omicron surge and everything was locked down at 5 pm. How lovely it was to head back to the hotel and enjoy decent room service and sit at a table (the desk is pretty big) and eat instead of eating on the couch. Even in December, there was a viking desk and my guess is pretty much every other large-ish hotel in a city where passengers embark/debark the same thing is seen. I saw the same thing at the Hilton Reykjavik in September 2021. We see the same thing in Seattle during cruise season.

I really like the location of the hotel, its quiet and very close to the metro. Easy to get to the Gare and back.

We've had really lovely experiences with the manager of the Regency Club and was hoping things were creeping back to pre-pandemic levels. The space is fantastic and since I'm a big green wall fan and love the botanical motifs throughout the hotel, I discover new things each time we visit.

I didn't have a problem with the internet. The only problem I had was that there isn't enough light (could be due to the fact it was December) to needlepoint even with the small floor lamp next to the chair pictured in the review.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by lalala
We stayed in the same suite (or one like it) in December 2021 and I thought it was great. It was at the beginning of the omicron surge and everything was locked down at 5 pm. How lovely it was to head back to the hotel and enjoy decent room service and sit at a table (the desk is pretty big) and eat instead of eating on the couch. Even in December, there was a viking desk and my guess is pretty much every other large-ish hotel in a city where passengers embark/debark the same thing is seen. I saw the same thing at the Hilton Reykjavik in September 2021. We see the same thing in Seattle during cruise season.

I really like the location of the hotel, its quiet and very close to the metro. Easy to get to the Gare and back.

We've had really lovely experiences with the manager of the Regency Club and was hoping things were creeping back to pre-pandemic levels. The space is fantastic and since I'm a big green wall fan and love the botanical motifs throughout the hotel, I discover new things each time we visit.

I didn't have a problem with the internet. The only problem I had was that there isn't enough light (could be due to the fact it was December) to needlepoint even with the small floor lamp next to the chair pictured in the review.
Glad you had a better experience, and the Club Manager is incredible but you can't deny the filthy rug or two hour late check in.

The Floral Motifs were an attractive feature, but that paled in significance to the service errors.

The room does not receive much natural light due to the orientation and the living room has no lights in the ceiling, only the lamps . It may be better on the other side?

I filled in the post stay survey and the Housekeeping Manager responded, but I expect it was written by someone in Front Office. They comped 6,000 points and apologised.
sch_flyer likes this.

Last edited by m0hamed; Aug 8, 2022 at 12:10 pm
Old Aug 9, 2022, 3:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
m0hamed : thank you for taking the time and effort for posting your review,
I found it very informative, especially as i often bike past it and had no idea what the rooms etcs were like.

If you are a light sleeper: the only hotel in Amsterdam that is known to have the best insulation+4x glazing is :
https://www.hoteltwentyseven.com
the video:
Although the decoration taste is quite heavy + the busy location is on Dam Square,
It has tremendous soundproofing in all their rooms/suites and can even block out noise from protesters in front of the Royal Palace.
I have stayed here once on a delayed honeymoon celebration and during anti-covid19 riots and we didn't hear a sound from outside!

Last edited by HadesNL; Aug 9, 2022 at 5:48 am
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:34 am

Thank you HadesNL.

Tbh, I think I need to avoid mid range Hyatts. We are luxury travellers, but I do think it would have been acceptable without the service failures.

The HR SYD is good and the former HR SSH was exceptional, especially given the price point and category.
HadesNL likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 5:51 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Lufthansa: Senator || IHG: Diamond Royal Ambassador Inner Circle || Plutonium Status
Thank you HadesNL.

Tbh, I think I need to avoid mid range Hyatts. We are luxury travellers, but I do think it would have been acceptable without the service failures.
Can't argue with that logic
Enjoy your stay and have a great time around Europe this summer,
Just a headsup warning, Netherlands is steering right into a heatwave this week!
Old Aug 18, 2022, 6:27 pm

I just got back from a stay in mid-August for 4 nights for 2 rooms. I only have Discoverist, so I wasn't expecting any special perks. I booked using one of my free Hyatt card nights and the rest on points. Front desk staff was very helpful and courteous on check in and check out. We only ran into issues during the stay. We ran out of regular coffee and tea in our rooms, because they weren't restocked. Asking front desk for more coffee and tea was lackluster. A staff member appeared at our room within 10 minutes of the tea/coffee request, but the staff member only had more decaf coffee packets Soaps were also not refilled. 1 of the elevators was not functioning.

Our rooms were satisfactory and cleaned daily with refreshes of 1 L glass bottles of water at no charge. Mini fridge was empty but we filled it up with our own personal drinks. We were in rooms 302 and 304 which had nice views of the canal and allowed the doors to completely open to enjoy fresh breezes. Since it was at the end of the hall, it was very quiet. The AC does shut off overnight and at odd times, which left the room stuffy and stale. The amount of light switches and automatic shut offs was annoying, but workable. We did not visit the Albert Heijn nearby because we were warned by front desk staff that they only accept cash. There was a Lidl within a 10 minute walk which accepted card (and pushy security staff) and limited selection of drinks and snacks.

I liked the location because it was only a 5-10 minute walk to a tram or Metro to go into the city centre or find local cafes and bakeries, yet far enough away from the typical tourist hype. Although I saw the desks for Viking and AWA cruises, the lobby never seemed filled with cruisers or large groups of people, only bored looking cruise staff. Mama Makan is still closed, but the terrace bar is open for breakfast. We did not dine at the hotel and we didn't use the spa or gym. Internet speeds was plenty fast, we only had one time that internet access was spotty but it only lasted for 15 minutes.

Since my mom was with us, we opted to take an Uber back and forth from Schiphol rather than public transportation. One way to the airport was about 40 euro. I enjoyed our stay, and would stay again as I felt the value and location was ideal for my type of traveling. Mom thought it was fancy /shrug
Sandy Hopper likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 12:46 am

Good service at the Hyatt Regency Amsterdam

We had a 3-night stay beginning 29. December. Amsterdam was extremely busy due to the New Year holiday. I could not get a suite here, either paid or on points, much less an upgrade at check-in. (I'm a Globalist.)

Unlike some of the other reviewers here, who undoubtedly had a poor experience, ours was top-notch. And that includes a huge shout out to front desk staff. Background: Our flight was due into Schipol at 08:30. I asked WoH if it could note on my record that I would like an early check-in and rang the hotel itself the day prior to arrival to confirm that they had seen this request. I did not get a promise of Yes, but things sounded at least positive. Unfortunately, the airline put us on an earlier flight -- still not sure how that happened -- and we arrived not at 08:30 but at 05:10. So after a couple of taxi difficulties we found ourselves at the HR at 07:00.

The young man at the front desk managed to find us a room for early check-in at that hour. Coming off a TATL flight this was much, much appreciated. We had originally booked just one room but decided to go for a second as well. Ultimately we opted to change rooms on the second day of our stay and this was done without a grumble by any staff. One of the rooms was on the street with trams and the other on the "back" side. Yes it overlooks a canal but there is also some traffic there. I slept in both rooms but was not bothered by any noise. Our rooms were on the 3rd and 4th floors.

I took photos of the rooms but in design and furniture they do not differ much from those posted above, so I won't post those. Our rooms were clean and the room on the canal was well-lit. We had no carpet stains, fortunately.

We went into the Regency lounge on our first day there, promptly when it opened at 08:00. (Our early check-in did not come with breakfast that day but we could use the lounge.) The lounge was empty of customers and, frankly, almost everything else. There were a couple of pastries on the counter. I mean, really, that was it. We weren't particularly put out as all we really needed to do was get a little rest, but it was truly a sad-looking spread: coffee machine, bottled water, and a plate of seven or eight pastries. I don't know if it was going to improve but we left after just a few minutes. I can't say if this was a one-off experience as we did not go into the lounge again for breakfast or for evening drinks. Make of it what you will.

We enjoyed the breakfast spread in the main restaurant. Breakfast runs until 11:00 on Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I was told it extended to 14:00 on New Year's Day, though we had departed by then. There were a few seasonal specialties put out, which we appreciated. Breakfast staff were extremely friendly and with only minor exceptions, competent.

I found bar food prices to be a bit on the high side, but in these days of spiralling prices I guess that should no longer surprise me.

All in all, we enjoyed our stay here and would choose the HR Amsterdam again. I used a combination of points and free night certificates and, given paid rates and high occupancy at the HR and elsewhere, found this a good use of both.
Old Mar 9, 2023, 3:55 pm

Has anyone had any experience with the guest bicycles that they offer? Would love to give Amsterdam's bike infrastructure a spin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.