FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1841154-hyatt-regency-amsterdam-review-master-thread.html)

aglp2k Apr 26, 2017 10:20 pm

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

I stayed HR Amsterdam over the weekend for one night on C+P and not much impressed with the hotel.

Staff were nice. Everyone was friendly.
Room was just okay
No upgrade was given to a suite since the suites are not yet ready for sale. Was upgraded to a corner room with a view
Regency club not yet open. Breakfast was comped the restaurant. Anything off the menu can be ordered and/or consume from buffet. Breakfast was okay. A coupon was given for 2 drinks and one snack at the bar. Coupon valid for house wine, liquor and beer only. At check in I was told since the regency club is not yet open, I can consume anything from in room mini bar. To my surprise there were two Heineken beers, couple of soft drinks and water bottles in the mini-bar. No wine or liquor.

I felt like the hotel is more of a Holiday Inn than a Hyatt Regency. The lobby is dull and plain. No where near other HRs that I have been to.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

xiKiNGix Apr 27, 2017 12:05 am

Originally Posted by aglp2k (Post 28234815)
I stayed HR Amsterdam over the weekend for one night on C+P and not much impressed with the hotel.

Staff were nice. Everyone was friendly.
Room was just okay
No upgrade was given to a suite since the suites are not yet ready for sale. Was upgraded to a corner room with a view
Regency club not yet open. Breakfast was comped the restaurant. Anything off the menu can be ordered and/or consume from buffet. Breakfast was okay. A coupon was given for 2 drinks and one snack at the bar. Coupon valid for house wine, liquor and beer only. At check in I was told since the regency club is not yet open, I can consume anything from in room mini bar. To my surprise there were two Heineken beers, couple of soft drinks and water bottles in the mini-bar. No wine or liquor.

I felt like the hotel is more of a Holiday Inn than a Hyatt Regency. The lobby is dull and plain. No where near other HRs that I have been to.

Happy to answer any questions you may have.

Have a couple of night stay book around the corner. I was able to apply the Explorist Club Upgrade, wonder what that means for us with no club lounge. Guess, we'll just have to find out.

How did you feel about the location relative to the the city centre?

aglp2k Apr 27, 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by xiKiNGix (Post 28234992)
How did you feel about the location relative to the the city centre?

It is in a residential neighborhood. There are couple of bars nearby but did not see any restaurants. You will have to walk couple of blocks. The Metro is very close and the station is two stops from Central Station where you have access to restaurants and bars. Metro is great. Just get a day pass which gives access to unlimited travel on Metro, trams and buses.

GRUflyer Apr 30, 2017 3:32 pm

Guys,

I am here for 4 nights.

The GOOD: Modern toilet and rain shower. That is something spectacular for European standards.

THE BAD: Wi fi is a constant problem and they had a melt down a few days ago. Some excellent staff, but some REALLY bad ones.]

I thought the service in the restaurant is one of the worst I have ever seen in my life.

They did do a good job at mixing Dutch and other nationalities, and it is crystal clear that the Italians, Asians and Austrians working here do take and respond to feedback much better than the Dutch (which is a well known problem in Hospitality).

So while I was not impressed, it certainly is an OK property.

RTW1 May 5, 2017 1:14 am

I was just contacted by someone from the hotel that actually seems to value guests.... instead of the previous communication where the answer simply was "sorry facilities are still closed" the story now seems to be that they will provide sufficient alternatives, even for the closure of the wellness area.

I might be tempted again....

And they really seems to have something going on with availability. The place showed it was fully booked for the weekend and yesterday a single night showed up, now the whole weekend seems to be available again for all room types (except the suites), even on points or P+C.

smitty06 May 5, 2017 11:19 am

I am currently staying at the hotel. I have found the staff friendly and open about some of the hiccups they have been experiencing. As previously mentioned, the suites are not ready. The club and spas are not open. They substitute restaurant breakfast, vouchers for food and drinks at the bar and free minibar. Not quite an even trade for me but acceptable as I was able to stay here using my credit card anniversary night and 30 night WOH free night. Location is acceptable as you can still walk to most things or catch tram which is very close.

RTW1 May 7, 2017 8:46 am

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Introduction Instead of posting in the thread about the opening I created this thread .Since my stay was "only" 3 weeks after the property opened and I had seen reports that parts of the property (lounge and sauna) weren't operational yet I asked the property what I could expect. The first reply was nothing more than "sorry, lounge is still closed but will open soon" leading me to cancel my stay. After that I was contacted with details of what was being offered as an alternative (restaurant breakfast - to be expected, and a coupon for 2 drinks and a bar bite). Plus the offer to take care of me durig my stay....I then took the gamble of reinstating my reservation (P+C) and see what this new property offers.Impressions from the outside:Front: everything (and another section that didn't fit in the picture) is part of the hotel. The yellow bricks are the new facade, the other parts used to be the "Emma Kinderziekenhuis" and of which the facade has been preserved, the rest of the building is new.The back of the building: Location The area where the hotel is located is conventient, public transportation (tram and subway) are within a 2min walk. Not as touristy as being right in the center but for me that is a plus. And lots of the sights are still an easy walk or a few minutes away by public transport. In my opinion the location shouldn't deter you from staying here even if most of what you would want to visit is in the center. A few decent bars and restaurants are also "just around the corner". Check In The lobby area is a bit funky with lots of green and the staff dressing in suits but with sneakers. I kinda liked it, but you can still see that it's a new property that has a somewhat clinical feel. Something that will probably improve once it has been open for a while and things get a bit more used.Main entrance: Counter for checkin to the left:Bar and lounge area to the right:Checkin was friendly and efficient with 3 positions of which one was reserved for WOH members (not that I saw any signs that it was used that way). Room Before staying I checked room availablity and strange things were happening. One moment the whole property was fully booked, the next rooms would show up. Until a week before my stay every room type was available including suites (first weekend those were offered) but after that all suites were unavailable.... probably because they arent't ready yet. But somewhat disappointing not to have the change for an upgrade. From monday on there is suite availability again :-(.The room I got was a standard King, but located at the back of the building so it did have a view.It's a rather small room which I found to be a bit bland and rather full with chair, desk and bed.The decoration however is not bad:Lots of brown though....The bathroom was big with a nice and large mirror (including the only clock in the room).An really large shower on the right and the toilet on the left (with a glass partition making it somewhat awkward to use). The bathroom could be separated from the room with a large sliding door.In my opinion not the best use of the space. The batroom was rather large with lots of space that hade no function, while the sink was too small for two people to use together. And that toilet should have been separated, the glass was rather awkward and it was noisy as well.View was limited but still not bad:What I liked in the room:- plenty of powe outlets and even 2x2 USB charging ports so no adapter required- no complicated switches so everything worked as expected- nice desk, not to big but it did the trick- airco that wasn't loud What I didn't like so much:- rather small room with plenty of furniture (> 50% occupied by closet/bathroom).- mirrors everywhere, a bit much- no night light in the batroom (at least not a functioning one)- the bed was rather hard and the pillows are soft Dining We had dinner in the restaurant..... Overall I still have mixed feelings about this property. I liked a lot of it but the room didn't really wow me. And some things still need improving (which they probably will in time). Service in general was rather good.Amsterdam is getting expensive and this is no exception. A decent deal on points but rates are high at this time and food and drinks are expensive as well.But it's good to have another Hyatt in town to provide an alternative to the Andaz. And I will probably stay again once the club has opened and suites are available. Gym Didn't use the gym, but it seemed to be a decent one.... Spa Was still closed at the time.

michael_v May 7, 2017 11:33 am

So it seems Hyatt category 4 for this Amsterdam hotel is about right, nothing more, nothing less.

RTW1 May 8, 2017 2:38 am

It's about right but it wouldn't surprise me if it will be a cat-5 in the very near future when they have improved on things that are now lacking.

cruisingmickey May 8, 2017 8:07 pm

This is the first time I'm reading about mini bars being included in club rooms. I see that's the case here, but are all mini bars (minus the alcohol) included in all club rooms across all Hyatts or is it this property only? Sorry for the tangent...

RTW1 May 8, 2017 10:16 pm

It's rare to find a property that offers a complimentary mini-bar for club rooms.
I was surprised to read it in the room description here, but I guess it makes sense since you can get the same items from the lounge.

Some of the Andaz and PH's also offer it, some only for the suites and some for all rooms.

martyYYZ May 16, 2017 2:55 am

The regency club opened about a week ago. However, the offerings are pretty light. There is no hot food. Happy hour had wine and beer but no liquor

RTW1 May 16, 2017 5:07 am

That's pretty disappointing..... I wonder if they will ever offer any hot plates.
Did you also get breakfast in the lounge?

martyYYZ May 16, 2017 10:25 am

Yes, breakfast was also in the lounge and was limited. There was no hot food and no toaster. Just cold foods, bread, and boiled eggs

RTW1 May 16, 2017 10:42 am

Very strange, did you ask about getting a hot dish?

Even at the HP you get a breakfast with some hot items (eggs, sausages, waffles).