Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Amsterdam REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2018, 10:45 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I was less impressed that my two fellow Mods.
- Told at check-in I could not take breakfast in the restaurant, just in the lounge.
- Went to lounge at 7am and it had not opened.
- Returned at 7.15am and told to go to restaurant for proper food
- No milk powder replenished on first day
- A fair few banging doors woke me around 2am
- Slow service in restaurant - 20 mins for Eggs Benedict ( but more time to chat to Obscure2k)
- Corner room but no Presidential Suite for upgrade
obscure2k and RichardInSF like this.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 1:46 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Markie
I was less impressed that my two fellow Mods.
- Told at check-in I could not take breakfast in the restaurant, just in the lounge.
- Went to lounge at 7am and it had not opened.
- Returned at 7.15am and told to go to restaurant for proper food
- No milk powder replenished on first day
- A fair few banging doors woke me around 2am
- Slow service in restaurant - 20 mins for Eggs Benedict ( but more time to chat to Obscure2k)
- Corner room but no Presidential Suite for upgrade
I too experienced uneven housekeeping service even in the Prezzie Suite. And also at breakfast. It does sound like you got a misinformed check-in clerk about the breakfast, I got told exactly the opposite (to avoid the club and go for the restaurant). Also the eggs benedict was some local interpretation that didn't involve putting the meat between the bread and the egg, but rather on the side. Hopefully all these things will get better before too long.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:58 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Dutch Courage!

HYATT REGENCY AMSTERDAM

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

HYATT REGENCY AMSTERDAM

Sarphatistraat 104 Amsterdam, NL

Dutch Courage! (0 Photo)

HYATT REGENCY AMSTERDAM

Stayed one night in Oct. 2018 on a cash (paid) stay with no status. Definitely would recommend the hotel when rates allow as the hotel represents great value for Amsterdam.

A mostly pictorial review for those interested. (some great photos already in the FT thread for the hotel but have included them again in case of interest).

The hotel is easy to get to using public transport (the metro at least that I used) and others have mentioned that you can get here from Centraal Station easily without having to change (and only about 8 minutes of travel).

The hotel is beside the Uni and although it beside a fairly main street, the hotel wasn't crazy busy like some other downtown hotels I've stayed at in Amsterdam. The location is not in the thick of things but that is what makes it that much nicer, and it is very easy to get to the action if one wants it.

Check In

I had booked online via Hyatt and arrived quite late (around 8 PM) so wasn't expecting queues for check-in, nor any issues with getting my room at that time (so can't comment on peak times). The chap that checked me in was wonderful, very enthusiastic but not overbearing and genuinely wanting to help where he could. Nothing was too much trouble in terms of information or questions I had (as there was no one waiting after me and this was my first stay here). Really set the scene and expectation for me at the hotel, what a difference a friendly and helpful staff member can make to a stay...

Anyway, still thanked for my membership with Hyatt and soon on my way to the room looking forward to the stay after a hectic day of work and travelling. ^

Room

I had booked a king room with a view and was very impressed for the rate (around 210 Euro / night, on a Sunday night, other nights were outrageous so I stayed elsewhere). The room was very large for

Amsterdam (and the Netherlands), I'd have happily stayed in this room for a week here if the rate had allowed. It is not an American sized room but this is Holland and most rooms you can touch the walls and need to step a certain way to close the door! (so at 200 Euro, this was a steal).

The staff had seen my profile comments to be on a high floor and away from an elevator so that is what I indeed received and the view, while not very scenic, did mean that I wasn't facing the main road and therefore could easily sleep with the window open (it tilts only but does open) ^ and get some lovely fresh air instead of just A/C. (especially after a day indoors with A/C only).

The pictures will say everything about the room so little to add other than it was quite big and everything was in great condition.

Dining

I ate both a quick and late meal in the bar as well as breakfast the next day in the restaurant. The restaurant was heaving on Sunday night when I arrived and although I am sure they would have found me a seat, the bar was far more inviting for a casual lighter bite and a drink with less noise. During check in the front desk chap kindly informed me that I could happily order from the main restaurant menu and have it served in the bar and offered to bring me a menu when I came back down. ^

The menu choices and prices are shown below in the pictures. (one menu was the bar menu and the other was the main restaurant menu, with two pages and broken down by sections). I had a couple of half pints (as they don't serve pint sizes here) of the draft lager and two starters (spring rolls and the chicken satay) both were good, the spring rolls were truly fresh and tasty and not the usual frozen fare and the satay was covered in peanut sauce that will surprise those not aware of the love of Indonesian and hot peanut sauces the Dutch love.

Breakfast wasn't as good unfortunately and is one of my slight niggles with Hyatt generally compared to some other chains and hotels I stay at (not trying to flame here, simply an observation from an occasional Hyatt user and generally a fan of the brands...) I find the choices limited for hot items and indeed here you had to order most hot items from the menu which would have costed more (for non status members at least). If you wanted a quick simply breakfast of breads, fruit or cereals, then it was fine. The cappuccino was from a machine unfortunately and not a true barista item (unlike the bar coffees). I would recommend booking breakfast at check-in though as you can get it for a slightly reduced rate of 20 Euro / person / day instead of the walk up rate of 28 Euro.

Service

Service was excellent from everyone I encountered. I didn't stay long enough to experience the room cleaning staff but there was the option to get turn down service if you asked for it (nice for a non status person or room just above entry level) and everyone seemed genuinely happy to work here and deal with customers from check-in through the bar to the restaurant staff the next morning.

Overall

Definitely one to recommend and I'll be back when I'm next in Amsterdam and can find a decent rate. Certainly worth the Euro 200 to 250 rate I found compared to many other hotels in this amazing city.

Safe travels.

Errors

I'd love to publish pictures with this review but the form won't let me, it comes up with errors...something about server errors and permission rights...anyway, rant over. I'll publish photos in the thread in another post.

Dutch Courage!

Would you like to write a review on the HYATT REGENCY AMSTERDAM?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:14 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
And here the photos for the above review. Hope they help those interested. If the MOD's can figure out how to add them to the review without any errors, please feel free to!

Thanks...

King Bed with View (view to bed)

Floor Plan (4th floor)

Bedside table detail.

View to work desk and TV commode.

View into room from entrance.

Wardrobe detail.

Tea (and what they call coffee) service. Tea is quite good and is also in some other higher end hotels.

Two bottles of free water in the room.

Detail of drawing on the wallpaper of Tulips...

HVAC controls were touch control and worked even with window open!

View into Bathroom.

Great to have an opening window (even if only tilt function).

Minibar contents (not free for me!)

Lovely big shower area with rain shower and hand wand options.

Large vanity area and sink.

Separate WC (wall mounted) with glass frosted door for privacy.

The usual Hyatt Regency Scented Bathroom amenities (which I quite like). ^

Further amenities and the turn down offer on a card.

Menu (one of 3 pages)

Menu (2 of 3 pages)

The lovely 'living wall' in the bar brings some colour and better air quality into the space as well as acting to dampen sounds. ^

Menu (page 3 of 3)

Chicken Satay starter. (tasted great, very tender chicken).

View to Hotel Entrance from bar. reception is to the right in the picture, as is the restaurant, lifts and rooms to the left in the picture.

And here one of the error messages if anyone can figure out why I couldn't post in the review above...

Old Oct 21, 2018, 9:20 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
I am finishing a 3 night stay as an Explorist using a lounge certificate. I previously stayed at Andaz.

To get to hotel: Schiphol to Amsterdam Central Station in 20 minutes. (FYI $2.50 railrunner tickets for kids 4-11 valid for entire day.) Exit front of Central Station to take Metro line 51, 53, or 54. Get off third stop (Weesperplein) and walk one block east.

I think this is one of the best Hyatt points value in Europe. This thread suggests that most Globalist prefer breakfast in restaurant to that in lounge and this is probably what I missed most going from Globalist to Explorist. This is the only full service Hyatt I can think off that allows Explorist to have breakfast in restaurant and still have evening offerings in the lounge. So this is one of the best use of the Explorist lounge certificate. I know that GHHK once allowed Globalists to have breakfast in restaurant and still have evening offerings in the lounge, but I think this is no longer the case. Breakfast is unique in that a la carte items are included in the buffet. Evening lounge offerings were a selection of salads, charcuterie, cheese, and a selection of dessert. I was not a fan of the offerings, but the friendly staff made up for it.

I really like the aesthetics (heavily botanical) and agree with others that it is more in keeping with Hyatt's boutique lines (Centric or Andaz.) A personal taste, but the light wood/faux wood façade looks 1970s and ochre from afar, but is easy to overlook.

For me: HR vs Andaz:
1. 15K points for HR, 25K pts for Andaz
2. Location: HR more residential, Andaz more central
a. Some may prefer HR’s quieter area.
b. If you have a short time in Amsterdam, Andaz’s more central location may have an advantage. Amsterdam has metro, trams, and buses but I did find myself struggling to get to some of the sights with my kids since it is not a well-connected as other large cities (Paris, NYC, Tokyo.)
3. Rooms: Andaz more avant-garde, HR is modern, but more mainstream. Enclosed bathroom for HR better if you are traveling someone who you don’t want to see naked.
4. Breakfast in restaurant at HR for Globalist and Explorist. For Globalist only at Andaz. Lounge access at HR, but not Andaz.
5. There is an Albert Heijn supermarket across the street from HR with Wholefoods quality at Aldi prices.

For me, there has never been an easier decision when deciding between two hotels purchased using points. As an Explorist, I may even choose HR for the same # of points. The only reason I can see to choose Andaz is if you are in Amsterdam for a short time and want to hit as many sites as possible.
Old May 25, 2019, 10:56 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
FWIW, there is an Albert Heijn and a Marqt (basically Dutch Whole Foods, also takes credit cards as opposed to the AH) less than a block from the Andaz as well. The AH is on Elandsgracht and also has a Gall&Gall adjacent for cheap booze purchases if you don't want to shell out $150+ for mediocre LVMH bubblies.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 3:31 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I stayed here for a long weekend. Like most others on the thread, I really liked the hotel though I was a bit disappointed at a group of "Dutch" fees which I thought were unreasonable.

What I liked:
  • Design was modern and quality throughout
  • The Indonesian restaurant was really very good. The only issue with my meal was the huge portion size, so lesson learnt for next time
  • The bar was even better than the restaurant. Service, atmosphere and drinks quality mean it deserves a reputation as a good place to hang out in its own right
  • Service overall was excellent, especially for Amsterdam. The front desk seems to double up as a concierge - I needed a barber and some vintage champagne and within 10min I had a message pop up on my TV with all the details of a reservation and what I needed to do
What I didn't like:
  • The hotel charges 40EUR per piece of luggage for storage when you're between stays. I intensely dislike it when a hotel charges me to look after my luggage and 40EUR is just ridiculous. It's already cost the hotel my business for next week, and I'll have a word with them when I'm next back to see if they really intend to levy the charge
  • The hotel also charges more for two people than for one in their rooms (at least for Club lounge access). While that generally is to my advantage, it seems an unnecessary way of screwing customers out of money in a way which is only usually seen in Italy
  • My room wasn't as large as I had expected it to be from the photos. It was acceptable in size, but not as roomy as I had hoped. The King Bed was also more what I usually think of as a "Queen" (I can never remember the different US/ European/ British measurements)

Overall a very nice hotel with excellent service, but it would be great if other Flyertalkers could note how offensive the luggage fee is to road warriors.

Last edited by EuropeanPete; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:38 pm
Old Nov 12, 2019, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I stayed here for a long weekend. Like most others on the thread, I really liked the hotel though I was a bit disappointed at a group of "Dutch" fees which I thought were unreasonable.

What I liked:
  • Design was modern and quality throughout
  • The Indonesian restaurant was really very good. The only issue with my meal was the huge portion size, so lesson learnt for next time
  • The bar was even better than the restaurant. Service, atmosphere and drinks quality mean it deserves a reputation as a good place to hang out in its own right
  • Service overall was excellent, especially for Amsterdam. The front desk seems to double up as a concierge - I needed a barber and some vintage champagne and within 10min I had a message pop up on my TV with all the details of a reservation and what I needed to do
What I didn't like:
  • The hotel charges 40EUR per piece of luggage for storage when you're between stays. I intensely dislike it when a hotel charges me to look after my luggage and 40EUR is just ridiculous. It's already cost the hotel my business for next week, and I'll have a word with them when I'm next back to see if they really intend to levy the charge
  • The hotel also charges more for two people than for one in their rooms (at least for Club lounge access). While that generally is to my advantage, it seems an unnecessary way of screwing customers out of money in a way which is only usually seen in Italy
  • My room wasn't as large as I had expected it to be from the photos. It was acceptable in size, but not as roomy as I had hoped. The King Bed was also more what I usually think of as a "Queen" (I can never remember the different US/ European/ British measurements)

Overall a very nice hotel with excellent service, but it would be great if other Flyertalkers could note how offensive the luggage fee is to road warriors.
I think even 40 EUR for a set of stored luggage is unreasonable. Per piece is preposterous.
tearex likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 4:31 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
A minor addendum to my review: I emailed the hotel to let them know that I wouldn't be able to make a non-refundable stay and to have a bit of a ..... about the luggage storage fee (Note for fellow Marriott refugees: Hyatts have email addresses on their websites and they are actually attended). The hotel got back to me in about 2 hours to say they'd wave all luggage storage fees and also pass the money I paid for my non-refundable stay to a later stay I already had booked. Pretty impressed - That's now three interactions in a row where my entry level Hyatt status is getting me better service and recognition than Marriott Ambassador.
Old Nov 14, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
A minor addendum to my review: I emailed the hotel to let them know that I wouldn't be able to make a non-refundable stay and to have a bit of a ..... about the luggage storage fee (Note for fellow Marriott refugees: Hyatts have email addresses on their websites and they are actually attended). The hotel got back to me in about 2 hours to say they'd wave all luggage storage fees and also pass the money I paid for my non-refundable stay to a later stay I already had booked. Pretty impressed - That's now three interactions in a row where my entry level Hyatt status is getting me better service and recognition than Marriott Ambassador.
Hopefully they get rid of that for everyone. Seems rather money grubbing to me.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2020, 11:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Stayed for a few days, got a standard room. Upon checkin I inquired about a suite; they initially offered nothing as it wasn't available for all nights. After checking with a manager when I said I'd take the partial nights, they gave the suite for all nights. It's very empty now. Seems kind of Andaz level of cheapskatery with the suites. The suite was fine; nice couch, chair, huge bathroom.

Breakfast was free and in the restaurant with a buffet and some items made for you by a chef. Free parking for me as a Globalist in the garage. Seemed fine. Lots of construction going on about (the Sarphatistraat is closed off going West, so be aware of that). Nice location relative to the metro!
Old Aug 22, 2020, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by caliform
Stayed for a few days, got a standard room. Upon checkin I inquired about a suite; they initially offered nothing as it wasn't available for all nights. After checking with a manager when I said I'd take the partial nights, they gave the suite for all nights. It's very empty now. Seems kind of Andaz level of cheapskatery with the suites. The suite was fine; nice couch, chair, huge bathroom.

Breakfast was free and in the restaurant with a buffet and some items made for you by a chef. Free parking for me as a Globalist in the garage. Seemed fine. Lots of construction going on about (the Sarphatistraat is closed off going West, so be aware of that). Nice location relative to the metro!
That beginning standard room was rather chintzy in these low occupancy times. You'd think they would like to reward loyalty without prompting. Regency club was closed?
Old Aug 6, 2021, 9:45 am

Does anyone know if the regency club is open?
Are they still charging 40 EUR to watch your bags?

thanks!
Old Aug 6, 2021, 3:37 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by kobefan
Does anyone know if the regency club is open?
Are they still charging 40 EUR to watch your bags?

thanks!
The Regency Club is not open, but you can get house wine, beer, well drinks, and a charcuterie platter.
Old Aug 6, 2021, 4:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
The Regency Club is not open, but you can get house wine, beer, well drinks, and a charcuterie platter.
Great, thanks for the update Travis! I'm staying here next week and very much looking forward to our stay here.

Any advice/tips/tricks? It'll be my first time in Amsterdam so if you've got any recommendations for the hotel, things in the area, or any other information it's welcome (either as a post or DM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.