Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2018, 5:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
It appears Hyatt has improved its IT since last year, but it’s unclear if the “stays that overlap Jan. 1” problem has been fixed.
Old Dec 7, 2018, 10:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Ausriver
For bookings check in on 31st Dec and check out on 1st Jan 2019, does it count as night/stay for 2019?
Yes! And Hyatt doesn't manually override this anymore as they sometimes did in the past.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 9:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Yes! And Hyatt doesn't manually override this anymore as they sometimes did in the past.
How do you know this? Unless I’m misremembering, the old Jan. 1 problem still existed/occurred for stays overlapping Jan. 1, 2018, didn’t it?
Old Dec 8, 2018, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat
I'm curious about this also. I usually don't stay over New Years so didn't pay much attention to this in prior years, but this year I have a 7-night stay ending on Jan 3rd.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah - I would say that every year is a new crapshoot in terms of stays that overlap the year-end.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:23 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami

How do you know this? Unless I’m misremembering, the old Jan. 1 problem still existed/occurred for stays overlapping Jan. 1, 2018, didn’t it?
The "problem" exists every year. If I recall correctly, back in the GP days, one could call and have nights manually credited to the year they actually occurred. That wasn't the case last year. Hyatt was much stricter about not crediting nights to 2017 if the check out date was 1 Jan 2018 or later. I know "past performance is no guarantee ..." but absent some statement from Hyatt, I wouldn't count on different behavior this year if I needed the nights in 2018 to hit some milestone.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 12:33 pm
Suspended

Didn’t Hyatt bump up a lot of people who were at 55+ to Globalist? I don’t recall anyone here who needed nights from late Dec. for Globalist being denied.

Regardless, from the recent promos, it appears Hyatt has made IT changes since last year. We won’t know how this Jan. 1 will work until people report back.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:24 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Didn’t Hyatt bump up a lot of people who were at 55+ to Globalist? I don’t recall anyone here who needed nights from late Dec. for Globalist being denied
I don't recall any reports that anyone who was close was bumped to Glob. As I said in another thread, some who ended up at 58 or 59 nights after the award nights were credited asked for and were denied Glob status.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Are you sure the 1k AA apply to award stays?
They are for me. 4x so far.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Dec 8, 2018, 11:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by skj
I don't recall any reports that anyone who was close was bumped to Glob. As I said in another thread, some who ended up at 58 or 59 nights after the award nights were credited asked for and were denied Glob status.
Retroactive credit for award nights is a different issue than the one we were discussing. I’m not aware of anyone here who was at 55+ nights and needed credit for a stay overlapping Jan. 1 who was denied it.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC

Retroactive credit for award nights is a different issue than the one we were discussing. I’m not aware of anyone here who was at 55+ nights and needed credit for a stay overlapping Jan. 1 who was denied it.
There were multiple reports (here on FT and even some blogs) about Hyatt declining to adjust these stays to the previous year.

And Hyatt didn't bump people up to Globalist if they didn't reach the required level.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 8:09 am
Suspended

There were multiple reports (here on FT and even some blogs) about Hyatt declining to adjust these stays to the previous year.
Hyatt declined Globalist to a bunch of people who were, e.g., at 58 nights on Dec. 28, checked in for a 7-night stay, and checked out in Jan. 2018? I follow this forum fairly closely and can recall no such reports, nor can I believe Hyatt would be so foolish. (I can imagine some frontline reps giving dumb, canned replies, but not Hyatt higher-ups sticking to such replies.)

And Hyatt didn't bump people up to Globalist if they didn't reach the required level.
Not sure about Jan. 2018, but Hyatt certainly did the year before.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat
I reached 55 nights in October. Last year I deliberately delayed requalification until November, but I made no effort to do so this year because my suite upgrades will still last until early 2020. (This year's upgrades expired in November, which caused me to lose one of them and under-utilize one of the others.) I was disappointed, however, that my Category 1-7 free night award will expire in April, six months after I requalified. I would have liked more time to plan a weekend getaway at a really nice hotel.

I was on track to reach 80 nights this year, but on my last overseas trip I got diverted for a week in a Hyattless location. Now I will have 78 nights by the end of the year, so I was thinking about using two free Category 1-4 nights at some reasonably pleasant nearby hotel before the end of the year in order to get an extra suite upgrade for next year. But three of my upcoming nights are a three-night stay beginning December 29 and checking out January 1. So I did an internet search to see whether the night of December 31 would count for 2018 or 2019, and I learned about Hyatt's policy -- of which I have somehow been unaware these last 25 years or so -- under which all three of those nights will count toward 2019. So the bad news is that it no longer makes sense for me to try to reach 80 nights for this year, but the good news is I will have a three-night head start on 2019.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 12:57 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Assimilated Cajun
I reached 55 nights in October. Last year I deliberately delayed requalification until November, but I made no effort to do so this year because my suite upgrades will still last until early 2020. (This year's upgrades expired in November, which caused me to lose one of them and under-utilize one of the others.) I was disappointed, however, that my Category 1-7 free night award will expire in April, six months after I requalified. I would have liked more time to plan a weekend getaway at a really nice hotel.

I was on track to reach 80 nights this year, but on my last overseas trip I got diverted for a week in a Hyattless location. Now I will have 78 nights by the end of the year, so I was thinking about using two free Category 1-4 nights at some reasonably pleasant nearby hotel before the end of the year in order to get an extra suite upgrade for next year. But three of my upcoming nights are a three-night stay beginning December 29 and checking out January 1. So I did an internet search to see whether the night of December 31 would count for 2018 or 2019, and I learned about Hyatt's policy -- of which I have somehow been unaware these last 25 years or so -- under which all three of those nights will count toward 2019. So the bad news is that it no longer makes sense for me to try to reach 80 nights for this year, but the good news is I will have a three-night head start on 2019.
You could always check out on Dec. 31 and then check back in under a different name (spouse?), or stay at another hotel for the third night.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, BA Gold, UA Gold MM, DL SM MM, Hyatt Glob, HH Diam, Marriott Ti/LT Plat, IHG Plat

You could always check out on Dec. 31 and then check back in under a different name (spouse?), or stay at another hotel for the third night.
Thanks. I thought about that. Can't make a new one-night reservation because the hotel is now full. Could switch to another hotel for the night of December 31, but we're already staying at two hotels on this five-night trip -- wanted to try both -- and my wife would not look kindly on inserting a third hotel for points-and-miles-related reasons. Besides, the math barely works if I have to stay two extra nights in 2018 to reach the next threshold. Having to stay three extra nights isn't worth it to me. Don't get me wrong, I've done way crazier things than this in pursuit of miles and points, but in those cases the payoff was a lot bigger, and I was usually traveling alone. But thanks again.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.