Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

As of today...How far are you from requalifying?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:35 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by edgewood49
Just remember that your CC race to Globalist will not result in a "full" Globalist more like a Globalist Lite
Yep. I don't think I was even shooting for that. It's more of a case of, need a hotel for 21 nights for work in Beijing, have remaining TSUs, and oh wait! They are offering globlite with CC. I guess I can look forward to free breakfast in Hyatts for the next 1 year or something.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 4:40 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by zombietooth
Truth!

I was recently refused a base suite upgrade in Manhattan on a 3 night stay, while simultaneous availability was showing on the website. When I enquired about this, I was told that they didn't have availability for the "block" of 3 nights but, if I wanted to pay, I could get a suite for an extra $100- per night. So, I just paid the $300-. This was leisure travel, I can't pay for upgrades on business travel.

I think that Hyatt is copying United's TOD model: i.e. don't give away any upgrades to your elites for free if you can sell them for a discount for cash. Since UA has been very successful with their model, there is no reason to believe that Hyatt won't enjoy similar results.
That's just dreadful. Seriously, who has the time to do this every.single.time? I do applaud those who fight tooth and nail for their benefits, but boy, it's tiring. Sometimes, you just want to check into a place, and be off for the day without having to argue for benefits.
bsdstone and sdadept like this.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:21 pm

I was recently refused a base suite upgrade in Manhattan on a 3 night stay, while simultaneous availability was showing on the website.
Do you know mind sharing the hotel? Thanks.
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
Do you know mind sharing the hotel? Thanks.
Andaz 5th Ave.
cruisingmickey likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:06 am

I cannot imagine not finishing LT if I was 92.1% of the way there.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 6:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton ♦ , Hyatt Carbonado, Wyndham ♦, Marriott PE, "Stinking Bum" elsewhere.
Originally Posted by antonius66
It's become an issue of "sunk costs". I can no longer use the TSUs, which used to be the most desirable aspect of being Diamond, so why invest more in something that is no longer working for me?

Free breakfast or club access just isn't that valuable to me, my loyalty was always all about getting upgraded rooms and suites for long stays.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum; Hyatt Diamond/GLOB
3 nights away, going ahead and doing it

I've been sitting in the 50s for a couple of months now and moving my stays to Marriott/Starwood, but I just moved a stay at the end of the month back to Hyatt so that I can go ahead and hit 60-night Globalist.

I have a reward stay next June booked that I want to use a TSU, and I don't want to risk the suite availability going away.

One backwards warped benefit of getting the TSUs when you qualify as opposed to waiting until February is that you can lock in suites for spring and summer stays now rather than crossing fingers and waiting until February.

Of course, the ideal thing would be to make the TSUs available and good through the next full year, but it's not like we can expect Hyatt to be nice about the benefits.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, Hyatt Lifetime Glob, Marriott Titanium/Lifetime Platinum
Currently at 47 nights and 57,498 base points. Will be at 50 nights once my current stay at HP NYC hits the account. 18 more nights are already reserved and I've got 4-6 more nights to book. I think I'm going to fall just a little short of LT Globalist by the end of this year, but should hit fairly early first quarter of 2018. Then, I'll be switching a lot of stays to Marriott with a goal of LT Gold there in 4-5 years (I'm currently about 45% of the way).

A larger Hyatt footprint would make me much less likely to want lifetime status with another chain...
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Took Explorist status/Globalist challenge on a whim when my company email address qualified me.

Looked at traveling for next few months.

LOL'ed and decided I'll enjoy Explorist at the two Hyatt Places (hahahaha) I can realistically use and will let the status expire.

I'm still gonna shoot for Hilton Gold, though, because I can actually STAY at Hiltons when I travel instead of contorting into all kinds of bizarre "I'll stay 30 miles away and fight LA traffic/Oh, look, it's a Hyatt Place/Hyatt House that's $30 more than a Hampton Inn" contortions.

TBH Hyatt Places/Hyatt Houses are fine for my needs, because quite frankly I don't mind limited service hotels if the price is right, but the pricing often doesn't work for me compared to other options (and they only go so far in getting past Hyatt's limited footprint). I get that Park Hyatts are awesome, but if I am staying in one it's self-funded, and the points involved in getting an uber-redemption are silly. I do have a few points I got from some promo or other that have turned into a stay in a Hyatt Place in Tempe during spring training (when the cash paid for a stay is over $200, a 5k/night redemption's pretty sweet).

The fact that Hyatt is offering zippo, bupkiss, nada, nil as far as promos in Q4 2017 while Hilton is handing out 2x points at all properties is a factor as well. But hey, if Hyatt is doing so well they can not offer a promo when Hilton/Starwood/Marriott/Best Western/Club Carlson can all offer them... more power to them.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:12 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:35 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
I'm still gonna shoot for Hilton Gold, though, because I can actually STAY at Hiltons when I travel instead of contorting into all kinds of bizarre "I'll stay 30 miles away and fight LA traffic/Oh, look, it's a Hyatt Place/Hyatt House that's $30 more than a Hampton Inn" contortions.
You should look into the AMEX Surpass card. It conveys automatic Gold status as well as giving you 12x bonus points and fantastic rental car coverage.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 22, 2017 at 3:41 pm
Old Sep 22, 2017, 4:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
You should look into the AMEX Surpass card. It conveys automatic Gold status as well as giving you 12x bonus points and fantastic rental car coverage.
There are reasons why this isn't an option for me at the moment.

Thankfully, Hilton Gold status challenges essentially involve fogging a mirror, and last well over a year if you time them right (thus allowing them to be performed serially).
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I was sitting at 16 nights when the Chase Visa 20-nights to Globalist promo email hit my inbox.

So I signed up and moved some nights from HH (will not make Diamond for 2018 unless they offer a similar promo) & even rearranged some award nights to Cash & Points (from Cat 1-7 cert & Anniversary cert) so that those nights will count (side benefit was that I was able to use my TSU at the PHPV ^)

Once I achieve my 20 nights to requalify for Globalist, I will end up with 36 nights or so.

For me, WoH has been OK, not great (60 nights is a high bar) but not bad (got 9 suite upgrades without asking, was able to use 3 of my 4 TSUs already), granted Guest of Honor twice, enjoyed quite decent breakfast & evening meals at lounges), so to be Globalist again in 2018 is fine with me.

I have a feeling that the 25-stays will make a grand return next March! May be WoH will bump it to 30-stays to qualify for Globalist with all the perks? Here is hoping that changes will be happening
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by antonius66
It's become an issue of "sunk costs". I can no longer use the TSUs, which used to be the most desirable aspect of being Diamond, so why invest more in something that is no longer working for me?

Free breakfast or club access just isn't that valuable to me, my loyalty was always all about getting upgraded rooms and suites for long stays.
I hit LT Gold with Marriott a few years ago, but then ceased booking with them as a first choice after some terrible experiences at three JW properties. Just two many inconsistencies at the property level and the Gold Benefits (mostly lounge access, or lackthereof, and upgrades, what upgrades?) didn't make up for the subpar service and room comfort. That said, it's nice to have the status just in case I have to use a MR property.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that WOH's top status level is 60 nights. Yes, it mirrors Diamond with HH, but MR is 75 nights. I guess I was with MR for too long.

Of course, Globalist benefits (are there any?) don't do me much good at the HP Richmond/Chester, where I'm currently on work trip.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I hit LT Gold with Marriott a few years ago, but then ceased booking with them as a first choice after some terrible experiences at three JW properties. Just two many inconsistencies at the property level and the Gold Benefits (mostly lounge access, or lackthereof, and upgrades, what upgrades?) didn't make up for the subpar service and room comfort. That said, it's nice to have the status just in case I have to use a MR property.

Also, I'm kind of surprised that WOH's top status level is 60 nights. Yes, it mirrors Diamond with HH, but MR is 75 nights. I guess I was with MR for too long.

Of course, Globalist benefits (are there any?) don't do me much good at the HP Richmond/Chester, where I'm currently on work trip.
Until 2015, I never once stayed at a Marriott. But since UA gave me Marriott Gold status, I decided to try them. I still was pretty loyal to Hyatt and Hilton throughout 2015 and 2016, enough to get Diamond with both, but I also got about 20 Marriott nights each year. I found the clubs to be the equal of the Hyatt clubs in proximity (internationally), and got the odd upgrade here and there. Last year (2016) I got several very nice upgrades to suites at Marriott resorts and at SPG after I linked my accounts-this as a Gold.

Since then, I have cut my Hyatt nights as much as I could (still got 43 this year) and am giving all of my high-end business to Hilton and Starriott. I give my low-end business primarily to Wyndham now (never stayed with them before 2015 either) and less with Marriott and Hilton.

In 2017, I haven't gotten one suite upgrade with Hyatt and haven't been able to use even 1 TSU while, as a Marriott/SPG Gold, I have gotten 2 suites (12 nights total, internationally). I am not saying Marriott is a fantastic program, but certainly Marriott Gold is better than Explorerist. I will be Platinum by the end of the year, and we will see how that goes.

Last edited by zombietooth; Sep 23, 2017 at 12:26 pm
Old Sep 23, 2017, 1:59 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by sapguy
I was sitting at 16 nights when the Chase Visa 20-nights to Globalist promo email hit my inbox.

So I signed up and moved some nights from HH (will not make Diamond for 2018 unless they offer a similar promo) & even rearranged some award nights to Cash & Points (from Cat 1-7 cert & Anniversary cert) so that those nights will count (side benefit was that I was able to use my TSU at the PHPV ^)

Once I achieve my 20 nights to requalify for Globalist, I will end up with 36 nights or so.

For me, WoH has been OK, not great (60 nights is a high bar) but not bad (got 9 suite upgrades without asking, was able to use 3 of my 4 TSUs already), granted Guest of Honor twice, enjoyed quite decent breakfast & evening meals at lounges), so to be Globalist again in 2018 is fine with me.

I have a feeling that the 25-stays will make a grand return next March! May be WoH will bump it to 30-stays to qualify for Globalist with all the perks? Here is hoping that changes will be happening
Just remember that "globalist" status is the Lite version not full status

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.