FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beltway
Print Wikipost

World of Hyatt [Pre-Launch]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2016, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
For those who say that WOH is only an advance rollout and there can be changes made, I hope that comes true.
At this point, I don't much care what they change. I've already gone to a bunch of trouble to secure status elsewhere and move my business for 2017.

And given the disaster that this rollout has been (with continual, unnanounced T&C changes, and absurd, tone-deaf exercises like that Reddit AMA), I wouldn't have any reason to trust that any changes made to appease unhappy members would be permanent.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by Ocn Vw 1K
In the markets I travel to, I find many more full service Starwood and Marriott properties than Hyatt. In the US, where almost all my travel occurs, Hyatt is largely HP -- often by a busy freeway, railroad track, or tire store -- or HH (many right out of the 1950s stucco era.).

Nevertheless, in the past, I always made sure to do at least 5 annual stays to make HGP Platinum, as the Hyatt full service properties I do find offer a great stay. However, the roll-out of the WOH has given me no incentive to continue to chase status at Hyatt. The tiers are more than needed, benefits reduced at most of those tiers and; given the relatively few full service Hyatts, I can just book those few properties as a general member; and, since I know many of the staff, would probably fare about as well as if I were some sort of Explordiscoverist, whatever.

So for me, the change to WOH is liberating -- frees me up from all the HP/HH choices I don't care for, anyhow.

For those who say that WOH is only an advance rollout and there can be changes made, I hope that comes true. But HGP undoubtedly vetted this in the circles it chose and sees this as the bold strike that will set itself apart. I wish them well.
Speaking about Marriott / SPG they announced a number of new upscale properties for next year and bonus points for the first quarter
Old Dec 15, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Between the time this rubbish was announced and until the end of this year, I will have had 4 eligible Hyatt nights (I have canceled reservations for about 6 nights, switched one paid reservation to an award, as I see no reason to give Hyatt more money, and not booked others). In the same time frame, I will have had 6 Fairmont nights, 4 SPG nights, 3 Dorint nights, 2 IC nights, 2 CC nights and 1 R-C night. I've generally enjoyed my stays to date in the latter group far more than the former (3 of which have left me thinking, "Well, I won't miss this one..."), so I think I will really enjoy free agency. My amended Hyatt strategy for 2017 will be to burn most of my points on a farewell tour to those Hyatts I've actually enjoyed and try a couple of the well-regarded properties that I've never been to, but otherwise, just stay where I want to stay. I'm going to save some points, however, in the hopes that the couple of Hyatts that I really favor, and at which I've stayed frequently, will continue to treat me well regardless of my "ist" status, or lack thereof. And if they won't, there's always a good alternative.

Last edited by rfrost; Dec 16, 2016 at 8:03 am
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by rfrost
Between the time this rubbish was announced and until the end of this year, I will have had 4 eligible Hyatt nights (I have canceled reservations for about 6 nights, switched one paid reservation to an award, as I see no reason to give Hyatt more money, and not booked others). In the same time frame, I will have had 6 Fairmont nights, 4 SPG nights, 3 Dorint nights, 2 IC nights, and 2 CC nights. I've generally enjoyed my stays to date in the latter group far more than the former, so I think I will really enjoy free agency. My amended Hyatt strategy for 2017 will be to burn most of my points on a farewell tour to those Hyatts I've enjoyed and try a couple of the well-regarded properties I've never been to, but otherwise, just stay where I want to stay. I'm going to save some points, however, in the hopes that the couple of Hyatts that I really favor, and at which I've stayed frequently, will continue to treat me well regardless of my "ist" status, or lack thereof. And if they won't, there's always a good alternative.
I think your not in the minority. Also those "favored" hotels keep a data base on guest by name so more than likely they will welcome you as always. Their not stupid to this whole change, I hit the Fairmont next week via AMeX PLT reservations will see how it goes. Did Marriott Marina in SD this week for three days rather than the Hyatt next door, Wonderful stay
Old Dec 15, 2016, 7:25 pm

Well my PL rep confirmed with management...if you are diamond now, you still need 60 nights next year to only need 55 the year after that. I was indeed wrong.
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by antonius66
Well my PL rep confirmed with management...if you are diamond now, you still need 60 nights next year to only need 55 the year after that. I was indeed wrong.
I am not a Diamond, so it doesn't personally affect me. But these little details show how far away Hyatt has moved away from the company/loyalty program of years past.

Last edited by notquiteaff; Dec 15, 2016 at 10:22 pm Reason: typo: last -> past
Old Dec 15, 2016, 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
I am not a Diamond, so it doesn't personally affect me. But these little details show how far away Hyatt has moved away from the company/loyalty program of years last.
Yep
Old Dec 16, 2016, 1:43 am
gum

Programs: LH Blue, BA Blue, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by 48pager
Over 2000 posts later, the silence from Hyatt is deafening. It's increasing clear Hyatt just doesn't care. If their agenda is to pursue the top 1% of GP members, they've succeeded. Such a shame for all parties involved.
Thanks for your impression, pager!

IMHO the while process of renaming the programme and the cost-cutting/fine-tuning in earning options for the mid-level elite tier (aka Platinum) is complete crap. The best place for this "enhancement" would be the dustbin.

Beginning with the idea of renaming the levels to a non-remarkable denomination which noone uses. Nearly all hotel groups use the traditional naming with silver, gold, etc.!

But there is one tiny bit of good news:
Hyatt GP confirmed after my request that the 3,000 points upselling to Regency Club per night remains unchanged. So there is no need to burn the points in the "European winter".

Hope this info helps.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Junior Suite is a standard term in the hospitality industry for a very spacious room with a proper living space (usually sofa, coffee table, armchairs, desk, etc...). Everyone knows it is not a full suite with separate rooms.

One notch down is a Premier room. Basically the same, but typically a bit smaller than a Junior Suite, with a sitting area that may not be a real living space.

Many hotels tend to call what shoud be a Premier Room a Junior Suite. Or a Junior Suite a "Suite." An example would be PH Paris Vendome, where the "Park Suite" is really a Junior.

Additionally, Junior Suites are considered the first level of suite accommodation in hotels for the purpose of guest recognition. Guests booking Junior suites are treated as suite guests, which often entails a higher level of overall service and recognition (at least at high-end hotels).
The problem is that there's no consistent use of terms. I've had junior suites which were two distinct but small rooms and non junior suites which were one room, which seems to be common at PHs.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that there's no consistent use of terms. I've had junior suites which were two distinct but small rooms and non junior suites which were one room, which seems to be common at PHs.
As with any hotel, one just has to be informed and know what type of suite (or Junior Suite) to expect. The hotels are not going to adopt different branding of rooms/suites or start to give away higher category suites for DSU guests.

Hotels get little or no compensation to my knowledge for redeemed DSUs, so any kind of subtantial upgrade is already quite generous, even if it is to a Junior suite. Another option could be to negotiate upsell with a property, i.e. pay the difference in rate between the DSU upgraded category and a higher category of suite. I have done that many times with DSUs and with 6k point suite upgrades.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
I now have 4 Westin and 7 Aloft stays on the books for 1Q17, all of which would have been GH/HR/HP in the past.

I realize Aloft isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I MUCH prefer it to HP, and it reminds me that "limited service" does not always have to mean "must suck"

My 15-20 annual HP stays from each of the last 5 years is going to...zero

Thanks World of Hurt!
Old Dec 16, 2016, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
I now have 4 Westin and 7 Aloft stays on the books for 1Q17, all of which would have been GH/HR/HP in the past.

I realize Aloft isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I MUCH prefer it to HP, and it reminds me that "limited service" does not always have to mean "must suck"

My 15-20 annual HP stays from each of the last 5 years is going to...zero

Thanks World of Hurt!
Good work Hot Pocket your zero future stays will earn you Economist Status with Hyatts new World of Hurt program for accurately calculating its future value.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 8:47 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Not sure I totally get your reply, sounds like you are talking about the 2018 soft landing for current Diamonds, which I agree (?) is strange.

Hyatt has kicked me out the door despite year in, year out, 30+ stays and 45+ nights.

See you at the wxyz bar.
Old Dec 17, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: Try to be elite again... :)
Quick question - for the 5 brand 1 free night promotion, for the stays at 5 brands - award stats count as well? Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2016, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Tommys888
Quick question - for the 5 brand 1 free night promotion, for the stays at 5 brands - award stats count as well? Thank you!
I don't know, but I'm willing to be the answer is "NO." Award stays are the red-headed stepchild at Hyatt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.