Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Purchased $250 on cardcash and $500 gift card spread this week. Cardcash balance still intact. Gift Card Spread one is already down by $160. Hyatt doesn't give the agents enough information to tell me which property the $160 was used at.
I've been able to determine where a gift card was used through the Hyatt GC customer service.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I called to check on the balance for the 2 cards I purchased from SMV cards on ebay, which, from what I understand, is an authorized seller.

The first question I was asked was "is the card in your name?" I took that to mean that if it had been drained, they would refer me back to the seller of the card.

So the next time I call I will say it was a gift.

My balances are still good on the cards.

If they are referring people back to the seller, then it is not a good thing and I suspect their gift card sales are going to drop pretty far. I know I'm not going to buy any more.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:30 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Surprisingly, knock on wood, I've had good success with SVM. That's why I was curious if it was limited to e-gift cards only. (now proven wrong.). I have a gift card that I bought last summer/fall and it still has all the money. I have another 2 from there that I couldn't find immediately to check but hopefully those are OK too.

Last edited by cdancer20; Mar 25, 2016 at 9:58 am
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
It is not. I asked the question a few months ago and was told the person had their physical card drained.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 8:42 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cdancer20
I've been able to determine where a gift card was used through the Hyatt GC customer service.
Thanks. Let me call back. When I asked where the card was previously used, agent only gave me a location code and wasn't able to find out which property it corresponded to.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by Mary2e
It is not. I asked the question a few months ago and was told the person had their physical card drained.
typo. I meant to say "now" proven wrong.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Thanks. Let me call back. When I asked where the card was previously used, agent only gave me a location code and wasn't able to find out which property it corresponded to.
Oh yeah. I vaguely remember this but I think I was able to call HGP and get the actual location that mapped to that code.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
I already wrote way too much about this on the last page, but does anyone really think that there is a ring of gift card number hackers who steal our money from our gift cards ... so that they can stay at Hyatts?

I continue to think that the "where the card was used" is a red herring.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:14 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
I already wrote way too much about this on the last page, but does anyone really think that there is a ring of gift card number hackers who steal our money from our gift cards ... so that they can stay at Hyatts?

I'm guessing more resale... Who knows maybe they steal and resale on card cash...

Fdw
Old Mar 25, 2016, 11:58 am

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Exclamation

In fact, now that I recall, Raise.com made it clear that this was a card that they had gotten directly from Hyatt, not a resale. ...
2. Alternatively, maybe there are some bad guys (and/or gals) stealing the cards and selling them through re-sellers, so if they are being used at actual Hyatt properties, they are being used by real customers just like us who purchase these things on the re-sale market.[/LIST]My hunch at this point is closer to the no-real-theft, Hyatt IT snafu hypothesis, because otherwise it seems that someone (Hyatt, the resellers?) is being way too cavalier about so much double payment (fraud then card replenishment).
The first sentence above confirms my guess that Hyatt has been selling GCs to these sites at a discount to drum up business. Too many of them are unused at even dollar amounts to be coming from gift recipients who just don't want Hyatt rooms!

As for #2, a dishonest seller could keep the number to use him/herself after selling either a physical or e-cert &or selling an e-GC to 2 (or more) Websites!
Old Mar 25, 2016, 2:59 pm

I wonder if there are resellers that sell to multiple companies so what we see if a legitimate person using what they think is their own CC. However I see what u mean about it seeming too wonky for this many to keep getting stolen.
Old Mar 25, 2016, 6:44 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
FWIW, all the GC I got from an authorized dealer on eBay were fine. The one that was drained was a physical GC purchased directly from Hyatt.com , just in a much higher amount.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that

1. Steal gift card info

2. ???

3. Profit
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:38 am

This Keeps happening to me!

I keep trying to use Hyatt Gift cards and they keep coming up with $0 Balances.

Cardcash and Raise seem to be the ones with the most trouble. I had a $250 order that had a balance for the longest time--tried to use it in SFO on 3/18 and it had a $0 balance. Turns out it was used on 2/25 (I bought it in January)

Another cardcash card had $100 balance that I bought on 2/8. That was drained on 2/25 and had a $0 balance when I tried to use it on 3/18.

Raise refunded by order--still waiting to hear back from Cardcash, but this is turning into a very very annoying process.

This is the 4th time this has happened to me. I even had physical gift cards I tried to use at the PH New York (That I bought from Amazon) and they were deemed 'fraudulent' by the desk staff. I wish I had never purchased these gift cards. I got a great deal on them (15-20% off and Chase UR points) but the amount of frustration it has caused is not worth it.

Stay Away!
Old Mar 31, 2016, 7:43 am

Cardcash/ABCGiftCards has surprisingly been very good about refunding money for me thus far. One Hyatt card that I bought a couple of weeks back was drained before my purchase. I just bought another card and they refunded me the first one within a week. This was my second claim.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.