Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2015, 3:10 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by AlxStevens
I also had two zeroed e-gift cards, which I unfortunately didn't notice until I got to the desk to pay checking out of the Grand Cypress.

Phone service told me they had been used over the summer at two properties I had never been to (Jersey City and Lake Tahoe)

Hyatt was quick to reissue (the next day) but that didn't help me and I unfortunately had to change my plans to cover the stay with the gift cards.

I agree with the upthread comment that this is likely a brute force (or other) hack, since all a person would need is the number.
Exactly. Major PIA because I had bought the cards with the specific stay in mind.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
From what I've read, it seems to be effecting people who purchased last December when the cards were offered at 10% off.
July purchase here that got drained.

Fdw
Old Nov 20, 2015, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hyatt sent brand new cards as replacements ^^ - everything was handled exceptionally well
Old Nov 26, 2015, 7:32 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by azepine00
Hyatt sent brand new cards as replacements ^^ - everything was handled exceptionally well
FYI. I had $875 in gift cards zeroed out. They were all bought in the last 3 months. I am actually at a hyatt right now and just thought why not check the balance to be sure. 2 days before I leave I might get the new cards issued.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 4:49 pm
Formerly known as pmclean

Just checked mine. Drained. Called Hyatt and was told this is the first they are hearing of this...... interesting response. Should hopefully get a new one in the mail in the next week.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 8:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Any data points on GCs bought from Amazon?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 7:33 am

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
I have 4 left from the 10% off sale last year all have the full amount still
Old Dec 6, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Hyatt E-Gift Card Fraud

Anyone else experience an issue with Hyatt E-Gift Card Fraud in the last few weeks and months?

I purchased a $2000 E-GC in late July 2015; used part of the balance in August and should have had approximately $500 left when i tried to check out of a Hotel in Houston in late November. Showed a $0 balance so I didn't argue.

Called the Hyatt Line - got transferred to Consumer Affairs Dept. (in Omaha) - and found out that someone has used my E-GC in Maui since MY last use. The entire call process really inspired very little confidence - seems like they enter some details and another Dept will then proceed to "investigate" further. Considering I am a GP Diamond (25+ actual stays) and had since ordered a substantial amount of additional Gift Cards (thankfully physical ones this time) - I would say BUYER BEWARE on purchasing Hyatt GC's. Clearly no Consumer Protection laws apply here. And if Hyatt should somehow deem it not appropriate to replace the stolen balance you would just be completely out of luck.

At this point - I still expect Hyatt will do the right thing (should be really easy in my case to determine this was fraud given that I did not travel to Maui) - but just drives home the fact that Hyatt's security and payment systems are clearly not secure (I have seen other reports of fraud posted in various comments to other blogs/forums).

Would love to hear if this is a widespread issue.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I had a similar issue recently and it was resolved to my satisfaction, and quite promptly. It took about a day.

Originally Posted by jbhattac
Anyone else experience an issue with Hyatt E-Gift Card Fraud in the last few weeks and months?

I purchased a $2000 E-GC in late July 2015; used part of the balance in August and should have had approximately $500 left when i tried to check out of a Hotel in Houston in late November. Showed a $0 balance so I didn't argue.

Called the Hyatt Line - got transferred to Consumer Affairs Dept. (in Omaha) - and found out that someone has used my E-GC in Maui since MY last use. The entire call process really inspired very little confidence - seems like they enter some details and another Dept will then proceed to "investigate" further. Considering I am a GP Diamond (25+ actual stays) and had since ordered a substantial amount of additional Gift Cards (thankfully physical ones this time) - I would say BUYER BEWARE on purchasing Hyatt GC's. Clearly no Consumer Protection laws apply here. And if Hyatt should somehow deem it not appropriate to replace the stolen balance you would just be completely out of luck.

At this point - I still expect Hyatt will do the right thing (should be really easy in my case to determine this was fraud given that I did not travel to Maui) - but just drives home the fact that Hyatt's security and payment systems are clearly not secure (I have seen other reports of fraud posted in various comments to other blogs/forums).

Old Dec 6, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
I ordered some Hyatt eGCs in late 2014.
Tried to use them at the PH NYC in October and was informed they both had a $0 balance.

Took a few phone calls, but they investigated and agreed to ship out physical GCs to replace the full value.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 3:53 pm

Hyatt should have the names of the individuals stealing the credit from these e-cards since everyone has to show valid ID to check into a hotel.
Old Dec 6, 2015, 7:45 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JetAway
Hyatt should have the names of the individuals stealing the credit from these e-cards since everyone has to show valid ID to check into a hotel.
Maybe the thieves are reselling the stolen cards on those gift card resale sites -- it's hard for me to believe a thief would be dumb enough to actually use a stolen card themselves in person with their real id!
Old Dec 6, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Just 2 weeks ago I saw links on giftcardgranny.com offering some Hyatt GCs @ ~25% discount, but I had no need for any. Now the vast majority are listed at a discount of only 11% or 8.15%.
Perhaps the 25% deals were too good to be true. . .
Old Dec 6, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
I purchased a $2000 E-GC in late July 2015; used part of the balance in August and should have had approximately $500 left when i tried to check out of a Hotel in Houston in late November. Showed a $0 balance so I didn't argue..
Where did you buy this e gift card?

I've heard of other reports of problems with them and only buy physical cards.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 4:05 am
Original Poster
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Hyatt has done the right thing; but it takes a specific department to fix this (9-5, M-F). So, if you have any upcoming stays check your balance before you count on using your GC

FDW
Old Dec 7, 2015, 10:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by mhdena
Where did you buy this e gift card?

I've heard of other reports of problems with them and only buy physical cards.
I bought this $2000 E-GC directly on the Hyatt.com website.

Seems like Hyatt has had a security breach (or a relatively widespread weakness in their system; whatever the right word would be) and they have no way of fixing it in the short term. Rather disconcerting because unlike a Credit Card where you can 'dispute' a charge and have certain consumer protections - you are entirely at the mercy of Hyatt and whether they will do the right thing here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.