Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2015, 12:31 pm

Programs: DL, WoH
Originally Posted by jbhattac
I bought this $2000 E-GC directly on the Hyatt.com website.

Seems like Hyatt has had a security breach (or a relatively widespread weakness in their system; whatever the right word would be) and they have no way of fixing it in the short term. Rather disconcerting because unlike a Credit Card where you can 'dispute' a charge and have certain consumer protections - you are entirely at the mercy of Hyatt and whether they will do the right thing here.
I dealt with this over thanksgiving vacation in key west. Hyatt was very courteous and got me a new gift card the next day. Fortunately, I was able to get it before I checked out.
Old Dec 7, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by jbhattac
I bought this $2000 E-GC directly on the Hyatt.com website.

Seems like Hyatt has had a security breach (or a relatively widespread weakness in their system; whatever the right word would be) and they have no way of fixing it in the short term. Rather disconcerting because unlike a Credit Card where you can 'dispute' a charge and have certain consumer protections - you are entirely at the mercy of Hyatt and whether they will do the right thing here.
I would assume that you could still dispute this charge with your credit card company. That's what I had planned to do as a last resort when I had issues with 3rd party eGC. You purchased a product and it was defective. Seller refused to fix the issue so you file dispute.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
UPDATE - E-MAIL RECEIVED FROM HYATT About 2 Business Days after my Initial Interaction:

Good Evening, Mr. _________,

I'm writing to you today to follow up on our recent interaction regarding your Hyatt gift card. I'm happy to relate that your new gift card has been shipped today using mailing address _____________________.

MORAL OF STORY:

Don't buy E-Gift Cards for more than what you need in the Immediate Short Term or you could face some pain. Hyatt did do the right thing - cost me about an hour of my time (which negates ALL the cost savings of buying the EGC's). Hyatt did do the right thing here - Kudos.
Old Dec 10, 2015, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
I purchased an e-card during the 10% off sale with expectations of using most of it the next day and finishing it off two weeks later.

At checkout for the initial stay the front desk manager comped a night for hassles we had with our first (and second) room(s) and wrote down the remaining balance on the paper.

At checkout 2 weeks later there was an amount missing that exactly matched a night's cost at hotel 1.

We paid the balance due at hotel 2 and I contacted the manager at hotel 1 who apologized and sent a gift card with the amount in question.

More hassle than I'd want but we're whole. Albeit with no booked or expected stays in the US.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 7:28 pm

I was given a $75 E-Gift Card by Hyatt Customer Service over the summer in response to feedback I had left regarding a stay. I attempted to use the card last month and was told the card had a zero balance. I paid with my CC and contacted Hyatt. I was told the card had been used at another Hyatt just a few weeks before.

Customer Service issued me another card within a week. So besides what's been described here - there are some security issues regarding the safekeeping of the cards in general.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 9:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I think the issues are seem to be more so with the e-Gift cards than the physical gift cards. Have others had issues with the physical cards?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
I think the issues are seem to be more so with the e-Gift cards than the physical gift cards. Have others had issues with the physical cards?
Would love to know this as well
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by yolie
Would love to know this as well
Ever since I found out about this gift card issue in early November, I have been checking 14 (physical) cards regularly in preparation for an upcoming family, multiple-room trip this month. Just finished a round of checks and all balances are intact. Don't know if this matters, but all cards were purchased from a third-party site that goes by the name Card+something you swim in.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by KCKC
Ever since I found out about this gift card issue in early November, I have been checking 14 (physical) cards regularly in preparation for an upcoming family, multiple-room trip this month. Just finished a round of checks and all balances are intact. Don't know if this matters, but all cards were purchased from a third-party site that goes by the name Card+something you swim in.
I'd still be weary of third-party stores. Was the card number already scratched when you got it? If not, then less worry.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:00 pm

I'd still be weary of third-party stores. Was the card number already scratched when you got it? If not, then less worry.
Yeah, I keep thinking that one of the calls is going to say "your balance is $0.00." Fortunately it hasn't happened yet, and I'll/we'll be free of these cards soon. Just sucks that I have to worry about it.

The cards all came with all the numbers revealed. I assume the original holder of the card or the third-party has to do it at some point to verify the balance.
Old Dec 15, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by KCKC
Yeah, I keep thinking that one of the calls is going to say "your balance is $0.00." Fortunately it hasn't happened yet, and I'll/we'll be free of these cards soon. Just sucks that I have to worry about it.

The cards all came with all the numbers revealed. I assume the original holder of the card or the third-party has to do it at some point to verify the balance.
Duh! (to me). Yea the third-party would have to make sure that it's valid. I had a bad experience with this store. It was an eGC but I assume it was really just the numbers from a physical card since there was no pin number. But I won't wish that on you. I just quickly learned my lesson to not hoard cards from them. (On a side note, I just bought like $600 more than I need from the ebay seller to hoard until next year. And I planned to buy more before the end of the year from Hyatt for the Open Savings.)
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:04 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold
Having a nightmare with the ecard. Had a large balance stolen (and taken down to zero) earlier and refunded. Then noticed a smaller fraudulant transaction on my new ecard.

I really hoped they had fixed the issue, but now have $800+ that I need to find some way to keep long enough not to lose again. Customer service tried to resolve by sending me a gift cheque for $800+ that wouldn't be subject to any fraud; however, would be useless to me as I never have a single bill anywhere near $800 for personal stays.

Still waiting for resolution, but leery of any gift card, physical or e. They seemed to indicate that both types were susceptible to fraud which is why they tried to give me the useless check.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 6:10 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeAman 5+ Badge

I was hoping that this was merely an issue related to the previous ability to check balances online... it appears that this is not the fact... there appears to be more going on here.. I wonder why the HGP concierge hasn't made a statement...

FDW
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Having a nightmare with the ecard. Had a large balance stolen (and taken down to zero) earlier and refunded. Then noticed a smaller fraudulant transaction on my new ecard.

I really hoped they had fixed the issue, but now have $800+ that I need to find some way to keep long enough not to lose again. Customer service tried to resolve by sending me a gift cheque for $800+ that wouldn't be subject to any fraud; however, would be useless to me as I never have a single bill anywhere near $800 for personal stays.

Still waiting for resolution, but leery of any gift card, physical or e. They seemed to indicate that both types were susceptible to fraud which is why they tried to give me the useless check.
Did you ask for a physical gift card? I still haven't read of issues with those.
Old Dec 19, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Got caught with a $0 balance two weeks ago on a $500 card purchased from Raise.com. This was a card that had still had a $500 balance as per telephone call-in three weeks prior. Two other $250 cards purchased in same batch were still working, so I used them to check out and then called Hyatt.

Nothing made any sense. They gave me a used date that did fall in the period since I had called in to check on the card balance. But they could not/would not -- even after several transfers -- tell me where it was used (or by whom).

I called Raise.com. They apologized profusely and said that these were cards that came from Hyatt directly (not re-sale?) and that Hyatt had not loaded it. Seems to contradict my prior call-in to check balance, but since Raise.com was willing to reimburse, I figured no harm/no foul.

Except for unexpected collateral damage. Raise.com was going to charge the amount paid back to my credit card, and if you are reading this board, you can guess what would have come next: I might have had $800 worth of TYP bonus points clawed back, since the original purchase was to meet a Citi Prestige minimum spend. Eventually I got Raise.com to just give me a new egift card, and so far nothing seems to have hit the credit card. I called in yesterday, and there seems to be $500 on the new card, but, yeah, I am looking forward with some anxiety to getting rid of it on stay next week. (Assuming I still have any stays if and when Hyatt website reappears... assuming Hyatt website ever reappears....)

I'm still an idiot, though. None of this stopped me from just buying some more Hyatt e-gift certificates to take advantage of the $25 back on $200 spend at Newegg.com, from Amex offers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.