Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2016, 2:59 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ctrix65513
Seems most of the gift card resellers have now removed Hyatt cards from there website/out of stock. 2 days ago plenty where listed.
Cardcash had 250 $50 available a couple of days ago. No longer listed. Maybe they check and found out they were holding 250 $0 gift cards.
Old May 12, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Cardcash had 250 $50 available a couple of days ago. No longer listed. Maybe they check and found out they were holding 250 $0 gift cards.
I find cardcash inventory to be extremely arbitrary and most likely inaccurate. i've seen it fluctate from 20 to 200+ within a few page refreshes.
Old May 12, 2016, 6:17 pm

Notice them reappearing on a few resellers. Disregard my previous data point.

Last edited by Ctrix65513; May 12, 2016 at 6:39 pm Reason: -
Old May 13, 2016, 5:14 am

I have been following this thread, but I have 2 questions that I don't think have been addressed.

1. Are the Hyatt Check certificates from the Citi Thank You program at risk for this as well?
I am guessing those certificate numbers are auto generated as well and so may be at risk of hacking. I have never used a Hyatt check cert, though, so am not sure.

2. If anyone has had either the gift cards from Discover or the check certs from Cit Thank You drained, did Citi and or Discover take care of this for you, as I have read that Hyatt and some third party sellers are reported doing when this happens?

Thank you
Old May 16, 2016, 6:31 pm

Called today to report unauthorized use of my Hyatt gift card. Was told the replacement gift card will have pin number. Guess Hyatt is finally catching up?
Old May 16, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Your guess is as good as mine. Because I have had a number of Hyatt gift cards with PIN numbers -- none of which (the PIN numbers) seemed to be relevant to usage. Seriously, let us know ....
Old May 16, 2016, 8:43 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
Your guess is as good as mine. Because I have had a number of Hyatt gift cards with PIN numbers -- none of which (the PIN numbers) seemed to be relevant to usage. Seriously, let us know ....
I've only ever had one with a pin. It's value was stolen. If it's only 4 digits, that is only 10,000 options to try and crack. Pretty easy for a computer.
Old May 17, 2016, 8:02 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by United747
I've only ever had one with a pin. It's value was stolen. If it's only 4 digits, that is only 10,000 options to try and crack. Pretty easy for a computer.
Not without access to Hyatt systems to confirm you hacked the valid PIN. Thus Hyatt removed the online balance check functionality and makes you hit a random number each time you call in by phone. Now of course if there is a relationship between the main number and the PIN and hackers figured out that relationship, then yeah, Hyatt is screwed again.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by travelpye
I have been following this thread, but I have 2 questions that I don't think have been addressed.

1. Are the Hyatt Check certificates from the Citi Thank You program at risk for this as well?
I am guessing those certificate numbers are auto generated as well and so may be at risk of hacking. I have never used a Hyatt check cert, though, so am not sure.

2. If anyone has had either the gift cards from Discover or the check certs from Cit Thank You drained, did Citi and or Discover take care of this for you, as I have read that Hyatt and some third party sellers are reported doing when this happens?

Thank you
Bump - I am considering redeeming TY points for Hyatt Check Certs - but will not if these have been hacked as well.
Old Jun 3, 2016, 4:39 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by CherylD
Bump - I am considering redeeming TY points for Hyatt Check Certs - but will not if these have been hacked as well.
Check certs are physical paper certs - be next to impossible to hack.
Old Jun 5, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Looking of Giftcardgranny.com , few resale sites have any GCs for sale. Most of those available are on Ebay--which has a few weird ones, where the sellers state that their card expires in 3 or 4 weeks ?!
Old Jun 6, 2016, 7:41 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Yes I'm very sad that all of the cards are gone now. For the first time in over a year, I paid full price for a hotel stay. Wouldn't have been so bad if I still had Hyatt card or if Amex OPEN didn't get rid of the 5% cashback with Hyatt.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Brendan
Looking of Giftcardgranny.com , few resale sites have any GCs for sale. Most of those available are on Ebay--which has a few weird ones, where the sellers state that their card expires in 3 or 4 weeks ?!
I think they are trying to limit their liability on the cards. Too many issues with card numbers being compromised to be liable for it past 4 weeks.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 5:13 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Reid
I think they are trying to limit their liability on the cards. Too many issues with card numbers being compromised to be liable for it past 4 weeks.
Isn't it against the law in certain states to have gift cards that expire? Iirc, MN has such a law.
Old Jun 6, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by United747
Isn't it against the law in certain states to have gift cards that expire? Iirc, MN has such a law.
I think poster was referring to the resellers's 30-45 day guarantee. Long time to guarantee when the card could have be depleted within hours after they deliver the number to the buyer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.