Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:38 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Kalboz,

You would need to contact the person whom you purchase the gift card through. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Rebecca S
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:41 am
Community Director Emerita

Kalboz, that's brutal. I am so sorry. Can you take her to small claims court in California?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:33 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by seawolf
I think you are out of luck.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I agree with the above. It's nearly 8 months since you purchased. Hyatt has been very good about taking care of these, but it appears that they have now stopped unless you purchased directly from them.

You're also probably out of Ebay's guarantee period.
Indeed, lesson well learned ... if you ever purchase these in eBay, please make sure you immediately use them! Ebay guarantee expired and so did PayPal. Credit Card also says too much time has passed when I contact them in June. I purchased the eCerts around the holiday season but could not use them until the kids were out of school and that's when I found out I was taken!
Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Kalboz,

You would need to contact the person whom you purchase the gift card through. Please let me know if you need further assistance.

Rebecca S
Thank you Rebecca! With all this fraud going on as evident by this thread, why Hyatt is allowing this secondary market of its GCs and eCerts???

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Kalboz, that's brutal. I am so sorry. Can you take her to small claims court in California?
Thank you for the kind words - small claims is what I was thinking about and will prepare my 30-day notice to the seller before filing. Will keep you posted.

Thank you all.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:51 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Thank you Rebecca! With all this fraud going on as evident by this thread, why Hyatt is allowing this secondary market of its GCs and eCerts???
Neither Hyatt or any other retailer (whether it be Starbucks, American Airlines, Disney, Olive Garden etc) can really prevent a secondary market with the way gift cards are structured.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 12:15 pm

Is there any risk associated with calling the automated Hyatt number to check a card balance? In other words, could the PIN of the card be intercepted in any way?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 8:01 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Neither Hyatt or any other retailer (whether it be Starbucks, American Airlines, Disney, Olive Garden etc) can really prevent a secondary market with the way gift cards are structured.
Sure, but I haven't of any fraud (and don't see a thread here) associated with any other retailer card. Or, am I missing something?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I hate to say it, but you really don't even know that the seller is at fault here.

We've seen tons of cards get compromised in this thread - many even direct replacements from Hyatt. So she could have done the deal with you in good faith, and some miscreant came along later and happened to come up with the number on your certificate.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Sure, but I haven't of any fraud (and don't see a thread here) associated with any other retailer card. Or, am I missing something?
The point I was tying to make is Hyatt can't prevent a secondary market regardless of fraud.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:03 am

how the h*ll do you check the balance on an eGC with no PIN?

I am an SPG guy, but received a eGC from work last year, which I never used.

The email I received last year has no PIN; I called Hyatt, and I was told the system won't give me any information without a PIN.

Any ideas?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by coltonatx
how the h*ll do you check the balance on an eGC with no PIN?

I am an SPG guy, but received a eGC from work last year, which I never used.

The email I received last year has no PIN; I called Hyatt, and I was told the system won't give me any information without a PIN.

Any ideas?
Call the automated Hyatt gift card line. The system is smart enough to know which systems have pins and which do not. You DO NOT have to have a PIN if it's not on the card/eGC.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Indeed, lesson well learned ... if you ever purchase these in eBay, please make sure you immediately use them! Ebay guarantee expired and so did PayPal. Credit Card also says too much time has passed when I contact them in June. I purchased the eCerts around the holiday season but could not use them until the kids were out of school and that's when I found out I was taken!
Sorry to hear that. It also sucks that everyone said that it's been too long. I'm especially surprised to hear that the credit card company couldn't help you.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cdancer20
Sorry to hear that. It also sucks that everyone said that it's been too long. I'm especially surprised to hear that the credit card company couldn't help you.
That's a good point.

If you used a credit card where you have a good relationship and long history, you might try them again and see if you can push a little harder. I've had them bend the rules in certain circumstances before - especially with Amex.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Hyatt Diamond Hilton Gold SPG Gold National Executive Avis Preferred Hertz Gold
Please don't purchase any gift cards unless it is a physical plastic card especially from Hyatt with a promotion. Promises of they'll send you the card number and pin are useless/rip off. Unless you use these cards/certs within thirty days you are basically SOFL. Buyer beware. I've learned my lesson. Best of luck to all.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by derby44
Please don't purchase any gift cards unless it is a physical plastic card especially from Hyatt with a promotion. Promises of they'll send you the card number and pin are useless/rip off. Unless you use these cards/certs within thirty days you are basically SOFL. Buyer beware. I've learned my lesson. Best of luck to all.
Your experience seems to contradict most on this thread. I think everyone else that bought directly from Hyatt was able to get their funds replaced. Reach out the concierge here.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I hate to say it, but you really don't even know that the seller is at fault here.

We've seen tons of cards get compromised in this thread - many even direct replacements from Hyatt. So she could have done the deal with you in good faith, and some miscreant came along later and happened to come up with the number on your certificate.
Who else would you suggest I blame (besides myself) she is the one I got the certs from. It would be a bit of inconvenience for her to show up, but if she (her demeanor) has nothing to hide, she will be absolved by the court.
The point I was tying to make is Hyatt can't prevent a secondary market regardless of fraud.
I'm sorry, but this is the 21st century and I'm sure there is something that can be done about this problem.
Originally Posted by cdancer20
Originally Posted by josephstern
That's a good point.

If you used a credit card where you have a good relationship and long history, you might try them again and see if you can push a little harder. I've had them bend the rules in certain circumstances before - especially with Amex.
We used Citibank card and their website automatically rejects disputes older than 90 days. Maybe I will try again to dispute by telephone call.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.