Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2016, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So does anyone see the problem here? Is there a series or is it somehow obvious what a correct number is?
Old Jun 30, 2016, 8:49 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by josephstern
So does anyone see the problem here? Is there a series or is it somehow obvious what a correct number is?
Both. They are highly predictable. Based on past experience, only the last 9-10 digits have changed between my cards. It may be less but I don't have any in front of me to compare.
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Just tried using a $500 giftt card bought direct from Hyatt last November and it had a zero balance. I took it out of the Hyatt envelope it came in that morning. Called custumer service and they said corporate would look it to it
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:42 pm

Programs: 1k MM, Hyatt Diamond,Marriott Gold, IHG Sphire, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, Carson Gold
Originally Posted by 1fan
Just tried using a $500 giftt card bought direct from Hyatt last November and it had a zero balance. I took it out of the Hyatt envelope it came in that morning. Called custumer service and they said corporate would look it to it
My gift card was a hard plastic card
Old Jun 30, 2016, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Once they verified it was sold by them you will most likely get a refund.
Old Jul 4, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
The supply is drying up on e-bay & the discounts are now smaller. Gift card Granny reports that Gift Card Spread now has Hyatt GCs at 15% off.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:32 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Be VERY wary of Card Cash

Originally Posted by SportsTech
Purchased 3 cards on April 15: $250, $200, $100. Checked all 3 at purchase and the $250 card only had a balance of $14, both of the others were fine; Cardcash resolved the missing $236 with credit back to my Paypal account in about 4 days.

Just checked the balances again because I'm traveling next week, and the $14 card and the $100 card are fine - but the $200 card has a zero balance. Called Hyatt customer service and they say they can confirm the zero balance (and that the card was drained on June 17th) but can't do anything to help me since the card was purchased from Cardcash. Called Cardcash CS, and they're closed for the day - they're only active 9-5 eastern time - so will follow up in the morning and see where it goes.

I'm done with Hyatt gift cards after this, regardless; I love the discount, but the lack of security on these transactions is unacceptable.
Two e-gift cards I bought from Card Cash in May were suddenly mysteriously drained last week and of course, I didn't know this when I tried to use them at a Hyatt today. Either someone is running a scam where they wait 45 days (Card Cash's guarantee period) before draining them or an employee at Card Cash is doing this. In any case, this is the second time this has happened to me with this company. I would NEVER use them as they are rife with fraud. Buyer beware I guess but not a good way to keep repeat customers.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 1:51 pm

I'm surprised you even bought the cards given the problems since the beginning of the year.

I would have purchased them for same day use only. I had 2 physical gift cards I purchased late last year and I was holding my breath they would be ok when I used them in May. I was lucky. I would have liked to purchase some e-cards at that big discount, but I wasn't willing to take the chance, and by the time I needed to use them for same day redemption, they had already been pulled from the major sites.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm sitting on some old ones. Not excited to try to use them.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:16 pm

Call and verify if they're still good. If they're not, and you bought them from Hyatt, they should replace them before you need to use.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think most were PayPal Digital Gifts or similar. Could be fun.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 4:26 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by manico
Two e-gift cards I bought from Card Cash in May were suddenly mysteriously drained last week and of course, I didn't know this when I tried to use them at a Hyatt today. Either someone is running a scam where they wait 45 days (Card Cash's guarantee period) before draining them or an employee at Card Cash is doing this. In any case, this is the second time this has happened to me with this company. I would NEVER use them as they are rife with fraud. Buyer beware I guess but not a good way to keep repeat customers.
Nothing to do with card cash. Cards are being drained regardless of source.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Silver, Starwood Gold, Marriott Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by seawolf
Nothing to do with card cash. Cards are being drained regardless of source.
How can you be sure? I called Hyatt and they give me a date and location code for when they were drained. One of the reps indicated that there was a way I could find out where the location code was but I couldn't hear him as the call center was in the Philippines and the connection/accents/etc were not clear. If it was a Hyatt issue then Hyatt needs to train their Philippine call center staff on how to rectify the situation. I've had other problems with other gift cards with CardCash and they do not seem to be a reputable organization so I'm not buying from them again. Guess it was my fault for sitting on them for longer than I expected but the discount lured me in.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 8:00 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by manico
How can you be sure? I called Hyatt and they give me a date and location code for when they were drained. One of the reps indicated that there was a way I could find out where the location code was but I couldn't hear him as the call center was in the Philippines and the connection/accents/etc were not clear. If it was a Hyatt issue then Hyatt needs to train their Philippine call center staff on how to rectify the situation. I've had other problems with other gift cards with CardCash and they do not seem to be a reputable organization so I'm not buying from them again. Guess it was my fault for sitting on them for longer than I expected but the discount lured me in.
If you just read this thread, you will see this issue affects Hyatt gift cards regardless of where it is purchased (eg Card Cash, Gift Card Spread, eBay, Citibank, Hyatt itself etc).
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:05 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
Arrow

After Columbus OH in April, I had $55.90 left on one GC, which was intact when I used it up in Milwaukee on June 30. All gone now without incident.

However, I bought a $250 Hyatt e-GC on e-bay on June 28 from menus76, who defaulted on her promise to e-mail me the code immediately. She ignored several messages from me. E-bay sent me a USPS Tracking # which said that a label was printed, but nothing was mailed. So on July 7 I filed for a refund under the e-bay guarantee, but e-bay misunderstood that I received it damaged, so told me to send it back to her.
So today I phoned e-bay, where I was transferred to their Escalation Team, whose John gave me an immediate full refund to my PayPal . I left Negative Feedback, which would have been Neutral if the seller had responded.
I will try to rescind the Negative only IF she gives me a verifiable, documented excuse for inaction, such as being in hospital with a coma all this time! Realistically, I suspect the truth is that she or her supplier ran out of Hyatt GCs.

Originally Posted by Brendan
I bought 2 ($200) Hyatt physical GCs from Cardpool.com, which I received on March 22. I checked them on arrival by phoning 1-866-784-0540 & again just now. They're both OK. . .so far. I will use them on April 9 & 13.
Just like Cdancer20, I will buy only what I need in the next few weeks. No more stocking up. And if I have a bad experience or 2, I'll stop because the hassle won't be worth the ~15% savings.

UPDATE: I've just arrived at the HR downtown Louisville, which has debited my GC $174 upon check-in for the cash portion of my 2-night P&C stay. I asked her to do it now because of this FT thread.

UPDATE #2: I used the last $26 of that GC tonight in Columbus OH without a problem. My other GC still has $200--untouched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.