Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Brendan
Flash sale! 20% off Hyatt GCs until 4PM EDT tomorrow (Wed. April 5)--subject to the above caveats !
Just had issues with 5 of 6 cards purchased on CardCash last week.

This was (and remains to be) very time consuming.

Just not worth it.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by josephstern
Just had issues with 5 of 6 cards purchased on CardCash last week.

This was (and remains to be) very time consuming.

Just not worth it.
I've an issue with a restaurant GC on cardcash. So far, I've been lucky on 2 $500 Hyatt Gift cards.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 1:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So many possible ways for these re-sold cards to be bad, but my guess is that the big two are:

-bought with a stolen credit card, so later invalidated, after sale to CardCash

and

-same card sold electronically to multiple reselling companies. If you are the first to use it, you win.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:03 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
was CardCash responsive and issued new cards for you?

So many possible ways for these re-sold cards to be bad, but my guess is that the big two are:

-bought with a stolen credit card, so later invalidated, after sale to CardCash

and

-same card sold electronically to multiple reselling companies. If you are the first to use it, you win.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lautaro
was CardCash responsive and issued new cards for you?
Still in the process with them . . .
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:05 pm

Still in the process with them . . .
sorry you have to go through this. were they hyatt gc you purchased? i'm thinking about buying some, but now i'm not sure...
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cruisingmickey
sorry you have to go through this. were they hyatt gc you purchased? i'm thinking about buying some, but now i'm not sure...
Yup. Hyatt.

Hyatt seems to be unusually ripe for these problems.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 6:38 pm

Yup. Hyatt.

Hyatt seems to be unusually ripe for these problems.
Thanks. Hope you get your money back soon. Can you please let us know how long the refund takes or what the process is?

My stay is in 2.5 weeks so I'm considering buying. Not sure if the hassle is worth the $100ish I'll be saving.
Old Apr 4, 2017, 7:09 pm

I have bought thousands in Hyatt gc and never had an issue, but I would never buy them from a reseller like cardcash. In general those places are ripe for crooks who will use the card after you buy it. Those places are really only good for cards that you are about to use instantly.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:40 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

just bought a few hundred dollars in GFs at CardCash (20% off promotion), 1 of the cards (100$) was already empty when I got it.

Claims my take up to 1 week ...
Old Apr 5, 2017, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Looks like mine may not be empty . . . I can't explain it, but the Hyatt I was at said they were bad. CardCash says not. I called Hyatt's third party processor, and they appear to be good.

Strangely, cards I bought on Amazon worked just fine at the Hyatt. But not these from CardCash.

So, CardCash may be off the hook here, but it's a mess because now I have lots of GCs that will be out of their 45 day protection before I can use them.
Old Apr 5, 2017, 11:10 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Looks like mine may not be empty . . . I can't explain it, but the Hyatt I was at said they were bad. CardCash says not. I called Hyatt's third party processor, and they appear to be good.

Strangely, cards I bought on Amazon worked just fine at the Hyatt. But not these from CardCash.

So, CardCash may be off the hook here, but it's a mess because now I have lots of GCs that will be out of their 45 day protection before I can use them.
What phone did you call to check the balance? +18667840540?
Old Apr 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by lautaro
just bought a few hundred dollars in GFs at CardCash (20% off promotion), 1 of the cards (100$) was already empty when I got it.

Claims my take up to 1 week ...
Thanks for the heads-up. I almost bought one, and am now gonna stay away from it. It's not worth it for the hassle
Old Apr 5, 2017, 7:42 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by antonius66
I have bought thousands in Hyatt gc and never had an issue, but I would never buy them from a reseller like cardcash. In general those places are ripe for crooks who will use the card after you buy it. Those places are really only good for cards that you are about to use instantly.
Reseller is not the problem. As documented in this thread, the problem even affect gift cards from Hyatt itself. Their gift card numbering scheme is weak and compromised thus they are now introducing a new numbering scheme with more digits.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:33 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by seawolf
Reseller is not the problem. As documented in this thread, the problem even affect gift cards from Hyatt itself. Their gift card numbering scheme is weak and compromised thus they are now introducing a new numbering scheme with more digits.
That's really WEIRD that cards on eBay at 20-40 percent off from sellers with less than 10 transactions or poor feedback, have had issues. Also strange that 20 pct off cards from 3rd party resellers have issues too!

The buyer gets sucked in by the huge savings. Seems like a GREAT deal, until it's not.

Buyer beware, but do reasearch, logic and reason. I know many will say "my credit card company will protect me". Fine, but that seems like an associated pain that the buyer should be aware of, going into any deep discount transaction. Anything above 10 percent off, I'd personally stay away from. To each their own I guess.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.