Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2016, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: silver springer
For checking balances (thanks to Brendan);
For those who don't know already, the US/ Canadian toll-free phone # for Hyatt Customer Service to check the value of Hyatt GCs is 1-866-784-0540. If calling from elsewhere, first dial the ++ code of the country from which you're calling, subject to the normal rate for ringing the USA.

Hyatt Customer Service suggested to check the value of your gift card (e-gift card or plastic) once a month
Print Wikipost

issues with Hyatt gift card

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:59 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Accor Plus Silver
Very pleased with CardCash response. They answered my claim in less than 24hs, and already issued a refund for the card that had 0$ balance. No questions asked.

Originally Posted by lautaro
just bought a few hundred dollars in GFs at CardCash (20% off promotion), 1 of the cards (100$) was already empty when I got it.

Claims my take up to 1 week ...
Old Apr 6, 2017, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Reseller is not the problem. As documented in this thread, the problem even affect gift cards from Hyatt itself. Their gift card numbering scheme is weak and compromised thus they are now introducing a new numbering scheme with more digits.
Agreed. I had my hyatt gc purchased directly from hyatt compromised 2 times before they finally sent me a physical card.
Old Apr 13, 2017, 3:59 pm

...so is it worth it to buy Hyatt eGCs from CardPool at 15% off? Worst case I can file a dispute with my CC ...
Old Apr 28, 2017, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Does anyone know of a Hyatt in Los Angeles that sells physical gift cards in person?
Old May 10, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: Globallist
Originally Posted by josephstern
Does anyone know of a Hyatt in Los Angeles that sells physical gift cards in person?
See how this plays out.

I've been a UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE BUY AN EBAY HUATT GC guy.

I used to buy cards all the time at 15 pct off, from a reliable 3rd party. Someone posted on FT about 2 years ago the site, and BOOM, ALL were gone.

Dipped my toe back into the SAVINGS and sometimes the GRIEF that comes with it.

3 weeks ago. Bought one for 600$ over 15 pct savings. used no issue

Same site bought 4 last week, for a total of about 1200$. Purposely didn't print them until this am when I logged into 3rd party site. PRINTED. CALLED. ALL zero.

So currently seeing if/how the 3rd party will resolve.

Good Luck
Old May 10, 2017, 10:28 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
...so is it worth it to buy Hyatt eGCs from CardPool at 15% off? Worst case I can file a dispute with my CC ...
If you have an immediate use for these - otherwise, don't hord!
Old May 11, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by creativeguess1
See how this plays out.

I've been a UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE BUY AN EBAY HUATT GC guy.

I used to buy cards all the time at 15 pct off, from a reliable 3rd party. Someone posted on FT about 2 years ago the site, and BOOM, ALL were gone.

Dipped my toe back into the SAVINGS and sometimes the GRIEF that comes with it.

3 weeks ago. Bought one for 600$ over 15 pct savings. used no issue

Same site bought 4 last week, for a total of about 1200$. Purposely didn't print them until this am when I logged into 3rd party site. PRINTED. CALLED. ALL zero.

So currently seeing if/how the 3rd party will resolve.

Good Luck
If the 3rd party is a GC site like Raise, GiftCardZen, etc, they are very good about fixing the issues. Just make sure that you are within the resolution period. If not, make a dispute on your CC.

I strongly suggest not buying cards in advance, as you see. I tend to only purchase the morning when I'm about to check out or the night before if you want to be extra sure it arrives in time.
Old May 11, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by cdancer20
If the 3rd party is a GC site like Raise, GiftCardZen, etc, they are very good about fixing the issues. Just make sure that you are within the resolution period. If not, make a dispute on your CC.

I strongly suggest not buying cards in advance, as you see. I tend to only purchase the morning when I'm about to check out or the night before if you want to be extra sure it arrives in time.

Although I agree with all of the above, it is pretty insane that the "BEST PRACTICES" of buying 3rd party Hyatt GC's is to USE THEM ASAP. I compare this only to buying an ice cream cake. BETTER EAT IT FAST, it's going to MELT! I mean, I would never buy and sit on any GC's, but buying 7 days before using, SHOULDN'T be an issue ever. CLEARLY HYATT GC's is a HUGE PROBLEM, I fail to see how eBay allows them to be sold with people with ZERO rating, or negative feedback, or.......

again, going into the purchase, I'm aware that there may be a problem for me, it's just strange it hasn't been resolved, going on over a year.......
Old May 11, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just be extra careful and plan ahead.

I had an issue recently where the hotel said the CardCash GCs were bad. So I used some I had bought on Amazon (not worried at all about those).

Then, the person who bought those GCs from CardCash (someone else in my group) put in a claim. CC said they were fine. In fact, we called Hyatt, and they were. The hotel had made some mistake.

So now we're stuck holding these longer than the 45 day period.

It's never easy with these things.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:37 am

Originally Posted by josephstern
Just be extra careful and plan ahead.

I had an issue recently where the hotel said the CardCash GCs were bad. So I used some I had bought on Amazon (not worried at all about those).

Then, the person who bought those GCs from CardCash (someone else in my group) put in a claim. CC said they were fine. In fact, we called Hyatt, and they were. The hotel had made some mistake.

So now we're stuck holding these longer than the 45 day period.

It's never easy with these things.
It is NOT.

I bought 4 5/3 I pulled them to print on 5/10. I called Hyatt to check balances, all 0. Maybe they were always zero, maybe not. I actually didn't want to print them and log into the 3rd party until I used them, to show I had xero access until I called and was going to use.
Old May 11, 2017, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is NOT.

I bought 4 5/3 I pulled them to print on 5/10. I called Hyatt to check balances, all 0. Maybe they were always zero, maybe not. I actually didn't want to print them and log into the 3rd party until I used them, to show I had xero access until I called and was going to use.
See, I consider that easy. As long as the seller agrees they're dead, fine. You'll get made whole, less the time involved.

But this screwup with the hotel is pushing us past the 45 day mark. So we'll be hanging out there, hoping. That's why I'm hoping to flip these into new cards at a location in LA. But I can't find a place that sells the in person.
Old May 14, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
5 cards purchased in person during Nov/Dec Amex Sync compromised. Guess I will be calling in tomorrow /sigh
Old May 15, 2017, 6:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Did those cards have a Pin?
Old May 15, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Did those cards have a Pin?
No - but again I don't think it matters. I used an EGC (that had a pin) before I used this. Procedure was the same - just typing the GC number in.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Although I agree with all of the above, it is pretty insane that the "BEST PRACTICES" of buying 3rd party Hyatt GC's is to USE THEM ASAP. I compare this only to buying an ice cream cake. BETTER EAT IT FAST, it's going to MELT! I mean, I would never buy and sit on any GC's, but buying 7 days before using, SHOULDN'T be an issue ever. CLEARLY HYATT GC's is a HUGE PROBLEM, I fail to see how eBay allows them to be sold with people with ZERO rating, or negative feedback, or.......

again, going into the purchase, I'm aware that there may be a problem for me, it's just strange it hasn't been resolved, going on over a year.......
Yes, we all know it's a problem and this thread, plus a few others, have been complaining about this for over a year as you said. But since it's already a known issue, you either choose to not use them, choose to use them with those "best practices", or play with fire. Your choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.