Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 30, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JoeWoodstock
I'll start a wiki, feel free to change/update:

Category:

Category 6 - 20,000 points per night (now 21k off-peak, 25k normal, and 29k peak)
Points and Cash - 10,000 points + $125 per night
Club (Points) - 27,000 points per night
Suite Upgrade (Points and Cash) - 6,000 points per night + Hyatt Daily Rate for Ocean View Room

19% total tax (16% VAT + 3% occupancy tax)
$25 per day resort fee

Upgrades:

DSU books into a Grand Suite King - http://playadelcarmen.grand.hyatt.co...oms/suite.html

Transportation:

At this time we do not have a transportation supplier selected, we apologize for this inconvenience, however we would like to suggest you some options that are available for your service:

(We are located next to “The Royal Hotel” in Playa del Carmen, please select that hotel as a reference in the browsers.)

FROM AIRPORT:
CANCUN EXPRESS
Prices:
$117 UDS (Round Trip)
$59 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: +52 1 (998) 195-3274
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancun-express.com/
serviced by Cancun shuttle (2/6/16)

CANCUN SHUTTLE
Prices:
$140 USD (Round Trip)
$90 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*You can make reservations Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Pay Pal
Telephone: 1-888-414-0017 and +52 998 848 0335
E-mail: [email protected]
Web: http://www.cancunshuttle.com/
book through Cancun Express to get their lower rate

LOMAS TRAVEL
Prices:
$315 USD (Round Trip)
$110 USD (One Way)
*Private Transportation
*Support Online
*You can make reservation Online
*Take payments with Credit Card & Debit
Telephone: USA 314-669-6871

ADO BUS

GETTING ANYWHERE ALONG ROUTE 307, consider Collectivo:
This includes going to Tulum, Cancun, Akumal, Xel Ha or anywhere else along 307.
Travel like the locals on the cheap
example PDC to Tulum: 40 peso ($2)pp, PDC to Akumal: 35pesos
taxi to Collectivo pickup site is 90 pesos
Warning: quick acceleration/deceleration may be tough on those with motion sickness

Parking On Site:

105 Pesos (as of 12/17/15)

Activites:
Tulum: entrance fee 65 euro, < 13yoa free
Akumal: nice beach, known for turtles, Lol Ha is a great beachside restaurant

Hotel now offers transport which can be billed to your room:

Greetings from the beautiful Riviera Maya! Thank you for contacting us.
On behalf Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen Resort we appreciate your preference.
Regarding the transportation service, I would like to share with you the option our hotel offers:

GRAY LINE (Luxury Service in Mercedes Benz) Grand Hyatt transportation from CUN.

1 to 3 People SEDAN (with 3 pieces of luggage) 153 USD one way 255 RT
4 to 7 People VIANO (with up to 7 pieces of luggage) 180 USD one way 300 RT

· It is a Private transportation.
· It will be charged to your room account
· It provides luxury service

Dining on Property:

Dining off Property:

Print Wikipost

Grand Hyatt Playa del Carmen, Mexico - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:16 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by Dcislander
Traveling with a family of 4. Hotel transport is $300 Rt from CUN, Cancun Express is $122 RT. Anyone think that it's worth $178 to go with the hotel transport vs 3rd party? Any bad experiences with Cancun Express to report?
question already asked lower down - see #97 and related answers...
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium (thanks to SPG), AA Life Gold, UA Life Gold
I agree with all of the posts on the building being: huge, beautiful, great architecture, windy, nice rooms, etc. etc. We are mostly pleased with the property, however, it seems that if there is a room issue no one has a clue how to help or what to do to fix the problem. I'm now on Day 3 of complaining about fluctuating water temps in the room and we get a complete run around.

As a Diamond, I've talked to different people in the club, spoke with the hotel manager, etc. but here we are with a very difficult to use shower. The situation is it is not just the shower, but all water in the room. For example if the water is coming out at 40C for a while, it will instantly jump to 50C basically scalding you before you can jump out of the way. It's workable in the sink but not so much in the shower.

I'm assuming that since I saw no other reports of these issues it is a room issue and not an issue with the entire system at the hotel. Regardless, I'd be happy to get some sort of response from management -- but as of right now -- nothing. If that's normal management response I won't be back.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by SNA1K
I agree with all of the posts on the building being: huge, beautiful, great architecture, windy, nice rooms, etc. etc. We are mostly pleased with the property, however, it seems that if there is a room issue no one has a clue how to help or what to do to fix the problem. I'm now on Day 3 of complaining about fluctuating water temps in the room and we get a complete run around.

As a Diamond, I've talked to different people in the club, spoke with the hotel manager, etc. but here we are with a very difficult to use shower. The situation is it is not just the shower, but all water in the room. For example if the water is coming out at 40C for a while, it will instantly jump to 50C basically scalding you before you can jump out of the way. It's workable in the sink but not so much in the shower.

I'm assuming that since I saw no other reports of these issues it is a room issue and not an issue with the entire system at the hotel. Regardless, I'd be happy to get some sort of response from management -- but as of right now -- nothing. If that's normal management response I won't be back.
Actually, we did have a fluctuating water temperature issue in the shower, but I forgot to mention it - and it only happened the last day or so, so it wasn't a big deal and we assumed it was a temporary thing. We didn't complain about it because it was right at the end.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 11:18 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Actually, we did have a fluctuating water temperature issue in the shower, but I forgot to mention it - and it only happened the last day or so, so it wasn't a big deal and we assumed it was a temporary thing. We didn't complain about it because it was right at the end.
Was the fluctuation so bad that you'd avoid putting a child in the shower?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 3:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
Trip Report for GH Playa

Just returned from a 5 day trip with the family and wanted to share some thoughts:
- Using a DSU at this property is almost a must; there are very few rooms/suites that are OceanFront; and you absolutely want to have one otherwise you could end up quite a ways from the Ocean
- the Plunge Suites seem nice, but I really don't see the point of them - they are not at all private (standing in the Club Lounge I could see down to the Garden and the various Plunge Pools - maybe there are some that are more private but I could see an entire line of them right below)
- The property is really much more geared for a slightly older crowd (not quite for our 9 & 7 year olds)
- Coralina Day Club is Part of the property - I have what I think is the story on it; this Day Club was put in BY THE OWNER of the property after the Hyatt was built, Hyatt management does not 'like it' to put it mildly but the Owner can do as he pleases so it is there (see earlier point, it may actually drive part of the crowd that stays here). It did make for an interesting view from our OceanFront Suite - seeing a scantily clad female dancer on a sort of pole - in plain view from our balcony. I kind of laughed it off and doubt our kids had any clue since they were inside, BUT be aware of this and the loud music (which was pretty decent club music - unless you are trying to take an afternoon nap). The music does turn off pretty promptly at 7:00p.m. every evening.
- For the price (sub $300) it is really a wonderful place; but do not go in expecting Park Hyatt or Ritz Carlton type service levels - if you can visit with slightly lowered expectations, you will have a great time. I was started to get mildly annoyed at having to ask for shaving cream/mouthwash/etc. at least twice on several occasions; and having to call to make sure housekeeping cleaned our room. Once I relaxed and stopped getting annoyed at every little thing - it was a lovely property; just manage your expectations
- Restaurants: La Cocina (on-site) - the quesadillas were excellent; loved being able to walk to so many places right outside the hotel; Playa is a great place to people watch on the main avenue that is literally 2 streets over outside the entrance
- We ended up having one material snafu (a cleaning crew that left a huge ugly scaffolding right outside our balcony for 3 days - they were planning to be right outside working for 2 of those 3 days - so I complained and they stopped but left their equipment!) - but again, with slightly lowered expectations this was a fun stay.

Last edited by jbhattac; Mar 8, 2016 at 3:06 pm Reason: Restaurants
Old Mar 9, 2016, 11:56 pm

Absolutely! I stressed this with the concierge while there, but obviously no one cares about potentially really hurting a child. My wife was scalded so I can only imagine a child's burns.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:02 am

Originally Posted by jbhattac
- For the price (sub $300) it is really a wonderful place; but do not go in expecting Park Hyatt or Ritz Carlton type service levels - if you can visit with slightly lowered expectations, you will have a great time. I was started to get mildly annoyed at having to ask for shaving cream/mouthwash/etc. at least twice on several occasions; and having to call to make sure housekeeping cleaned our room. Once I relaxed and stopped getting annoyed at every little thing - it was a lovely property; just manage your expectations
This is a great point and a frustration we also felt. We found that if we weren't out of the room by 9 - 9:30am we were left a note on the door telling us they tried to perform housekeeping but skipped us "due to our request." So, every day you end up having to *request* housekeeping.

Wouldn't it be less effort to just come by once or twice and hang the notices around noon? Less calling, less wasted printed notes, etc. I think most every hotel I've ever stayed in does this.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 12:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold, SPG Gold
@SNA - I think the sense I got is that Hyatt Management here is not really empowered to Fix things, there is an Owner that really actively runs the operations and the Hyatt team is doing the best they can with the constraints being imposed on them.

I would still recommend this place for anyone reading this (BUT use your DSU here - it is absolutely a requirement in my mind to get a great room, it trumps all the other issues this place may have).

Last edited by jbhattac; Mar 11, 2016 at 1:01 pm
Old Mar 13, 2016, 4:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
No, in my case it was just annoying. We also had a problem with the showers (of the three, only the rain shower was working when we checked in) but they fixed it after alerting the front desk.
Old Mar 20, 2016, 4:30 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Does anyone know if the Hyatt has stand up paddle boards on site for loan or rent? If not, I see that there are some rental companies very close by. Is it feasible to rent from them then just camp them out on the Hyatt's beach?

Many thanks all.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:44 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Swim-Up King

Does anyone have experience with the Swim-Up king?

Wife and I have a very young infant. Fear we'll spend much time in the room (vs. beach or pool) while she sleeps. Swim-up sounds like the right mix so we can sit outside.

Know it doesn't have ocean view... just don't want to be totally buried in resort-land.
Old Mar 27, 2016, 5:47 pm

Does anyone know if the Hyatt has stand up paddle boards on site for loan or rent? If not, I see that there are some rental companies very close by. Is it feasible to rent from them then just camp them out on the Hyatt's beach?

Many thanks all.
I just got back, and did not see any SUP boards near the Hyatt, either by them, or by anyone next door. That said, it's very possible there are places in town or farther down the beach that rent them.
Old Mar 28, 2016, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by mcavin
Does anyone have experience with the Swim-Up king?

Wife and I have a very young infant. Fear we'll spend much time in the room (vs. beach or pool) while she sleeps. Swim-up sounds like the right mix so we can sit outside.

Know it doesn't have ocean view... just don't want to be totally buried in resort-land.
Just got back from the Hyatt. The hotel is shaped like a U, with the opening facing the beach. It is a large hotel, but the beach frontage is somewhat limited, and it extends pretty far inland (ie. it's a skinny U, versus a wide one). Inside the U is an elevated lobby, and lots of trees, with the pools near the mouth.

The swim-up rooms are on the ground floor near the corners of the U, extending about halfway down on either side. They do not connect to the main pools, and the only way I saw to enter or exit them is through a room. Because they are low, I would think the view would be mostly of the (pretty) trees, and it would feel isolated and tranquil.

It seemed like a cool way to increase the attractiveness of what otherwise would have been the least attractive location in the hotel (ground floor, farthest from the beach).

I saw a LOT of people with small kids and babies. You won't be, by any means, the only ones.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 12:13 pm

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Originally Posted by Reisen
Just got back from the Hyatt. The hotel is shaped like a U, with the opening facing the beach. It is a large hotel, but the beach frontage is somewhat limited, and it extends pretty far inland (ie. it's a skinny U, versus a wide one). Inside the U is an elevated lobby, and lots of trees, with the pools near the mouth.

The swim-up rooms are on the ground floor near the corners of the U, extending about halfway down on either side. They do not connect to the main pools, and the only way I saw to enter or exit them is through a room. Because they are low, I would think the view would be mostly of the (pretty) trees, and it would feel isolated and tranquil.

It seemed like a cool way to increase the attractiveness of what otherwise would have been the least attractive location in the hotel (ground floor, farthest from the beach).

I saw a LOT of people with small kids and babies. You won't be, by any means, the only ones.
Thanks, much appreciated. Just wish there were a third or fifth night free promo that I could stack with the Prestige 4th night benefit....! Also thinking I may book it for 1 person (lunch/dinner) even though wife will be along... we can split in room dining... not sure if that'll work...
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:02 pm

Executive Suite v Plunge Pool Suite

So it sounds like both the executive suites and the plunge suites have plunge pools on the patio?

If using a DSU to upgrade to the Grand Suite, what is the upcharge to get a Plunge Suite?

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.