Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

$900 charge on my credit card for using DSU

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2015, 5:26 pm
Original Poster

Anyone else had this happen to them? I called in to use a DSU on a non-refundable room I already had booked. The agent said it was all set up. Today I noticed a $900+ charge from the property -- in addition to the $500 original charge when I booked the room.

http://singleflyer.com/2015/05/06/90...suite-upgrade/
Old May 6, 2015, 5:55 pm
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

Hello Single_Flyer,

If you can PM us your stay details, we're happy to see what is going on with your reservation.

Thanks,

Sarah
Old May 6, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Silver, HH Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, MR Silver
Check the rate on your reservation online. I just used a DSU and found out that when they implement, in some cases they just rebook you at the standard suite rate and then are supposed to do a "manual override" on the rebooking to reset to your original room rate within two hours.

In my case, someone missed the manual override and my reservation was left at the standard suite rate. I had to call the Diamond line and have them redo the "manual override." Fortunately, I had them fix it before they processed a new deposit on the room.
Old May 6, 2015, 5:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gold Passport Concierge
Hello Single_Flyer,

If you can PM us your stay details, we're happy to see what is going on with your reservation.

Thanks,

Sarah
Thanks! I just sent you a PM. I'll be interested to hear what you can figure out.
Old May 6, 2015, 6:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Is it possible that the OP's original rate didn't permit use of the DSU? Could the additional charge be the difference to buy up to a rate eligible for DSUs? [This would be more likely if the OP had used points for the upgrade.]
Old May 6, 2015, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Is it possible that the OP's original rate didn't permit use of the DSU? Could the additional charge be the difference to buy up to a rate eligible for DSUs? [This would be more likely if the OP had used points for the upgrade.]
I guess it is possible? But I paid in full; didn't know there was such thing as a paid room ineligible for a DSU. And it seems like the agent on the phone would have told me.

Originally Posted by dashark
Check the rate on your reservation online. I just used a DSU and found out that when they implement, in some cases they just rebook you at the standard suite rate and then are supposed to do a "manual override" on the rebooking to reset to your original room rate within two hours.

In my case, someone missed the manual override and my reservation was left at the standard suite rate. I had to call the Diamond line and have them redo the "manual override." Fortunately, I had them fix it before they processed a new deposit on the room.
I'm guessing this may be the case. Hopefully they can get it refunded quickly.... would rather not have $930 on my credit card for long...

Last edited by Markie; May 6, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 5:22 am

See # 3 above. This has been my experience as well.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:42 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it possible that the OP's original rate didn't permit use of the DSU?
No.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:38 am
Original Poster

An update:

I received notice back from Hyatt. They said it was a glitch in the system and would refund BOTH charges and that I would need to pay at the hotel at check in.

I will be watching my Visa account; refund has not yet posted.

Still not sure what happened and nervous I won't have a room/upgrade when I arrive -- but the reservation is still showing in my hyatt.com account.
Old May 7, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
I've had this (wrong price charged) a couple of times this year. Always a change after applying the DSU.
It's always been fixed eventually for me; don't lose sleep over this.
Old May 7, 2015, 9:21 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by iflyjetz
I've had this (wrong price charged) a couple of times this year. Always a change after applying the DSU.
It's always been fixed eventually for me; don't lose sleep over this.
"Always?" I think "sometimes" is the correct description.

And while it may be only mildly disturbing when it happens on a regular reservation, I'm sure it's rather unsettling when you're on a pre-paid rate and they charge your credit card in full at the mistake rate.
Old May 7, 2015, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kacee

And while it may be only mildly disturbing when it happens on a regular reservation, I'm sure it's rather unsettling when you're on a pre-paid rate and they charge your credit card in full at the mistake rate.
I won't be losing sleep, but it is a bit worrisome. I am still waiting for the refunds...
Old May 8, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by Kacee

Ah, playing post police today, are we?

In 2015, I have noted a temporary rate change 100% of the time after using a DSU that usually gets fixed to the original rate within a few hours. If it isn't back to original rate in a few hours, I call HGP to try to fix it. Sometimes it takes multiple phone calls to get fixed.
100% of the time = always.

Since we only get 4 DSUs per year, this has been MY recent observations. Always. But my datapoint for always is my last 3 DSUs, used in 2015.
My record on this: 1 time rate got fixed automatically, 1 time rate got fixed after 1 phone call, 1 time rate never got fixed in spite of multiple phone calls and had to be fixed at the hotel. All three got fixed.
One was a prepaid rate where I was charged on my credit card. One was not a prepaid rate but I had an additional charge on my credit card. Both overcharges were refunded.

In previous years I've almost always used DSUs at time of reservation while enroute to a hotel (on the road, make phone call to reserve room, check into hotel an hour or two later). In those cases from previous years, I did not note a rate change.

Bottom line: OP, don't worry about this. Hyatt's very good at fixing things. Eventually.
Old May 8, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I was freaked out recently when a DSU showed as two room reservations on my reservation. Very strange, but it worked out fine.
Old May 8, 2015, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iflyjetz
Bottom line: OP, don't worry about this. Hyatt's very good at fixing things. Eventually.
Thanks; I know it will get sorted out, just concerned about the time it will take to make sure it all works out. Also fear that there will be an issue when checking in. But Hyatt usually comes through so not overly concerned.

I was freaked out recently when a DSU showed as two room reservations on my reservation. Very strange, but it worked out fine.
Mine also shows up as two rooms; I think they do this when you are given a connector room (i.e. technically two rooms with two different room numbers). My most recent Hyatt stay I was given a connector room without using a DSU; it showed up as two rooms about 24 hours before my stay. I was concerned I was being charged for two rooms, but when I checked in they explained it was a complimentary upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.