Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:36 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Is the Andaz Suite King a true suite with a door to the bedroom?

I don’t see studio suites listed.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beachfan
Yes
Old Nov 30, 2022, 10:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Accor Dia, Mar. Tit, QR Plat, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan

I don’t see studio suites listed.
The Andaz Suite King is the Studio Suite (they renamed the room categories awhile back).

Upgrades to these are indeed rare (about 15% in my experience).

As a local, I usually just check for suite availability on the app on the same day, and if the suite is available, I head to the hotel and make the booking then and there. They’ve been more than willing to upgrade me if/when it is available in the app.

But just to share, if you really do need/want a suite, they’re also happy to sell a discounted upgrade to the Residence or even the Large suites if you ask.

Otherwise, I usually recommend asking for a corner room (xx30 stack) as these usually have the most space/nicest layout imho.

To add to the discussion on the ridiculous room rates, if the room rate is above 400 SGD, I’d probably just use points.
Old Nov 30, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I'm using points and a TSU, and if it has a bedroom, door, I'm happy.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 11:39 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Platinum, UA Gold
Originally Posted by Doppy
I've had hotels do this for me in a pinch, but I never imagined it was a standard policy at all hotels in the world, as you say above, to give you cash in exchange for charging your credit card. If that's the case, it would seem like a perfect "manufactured spend" opportunity. Given that hotels have to pay credit card transaction fees, this actually costs them money.
At all the other hotels in the world, the cash out standard policy is an official thing at Hyatt and non-Hyatts, like they have a line item and physical form, does not count towards spend. Yes it is a small bit more work but convenient for the guests at a FIVE STAR HOTEL. Instead they direct guests to exchange USD CASH for their 3rd party conversion machine in the lobby that charges 20%, VERY CONVENIENT INDEED but for who??

Additionally some hotels charge 5% to offset any fees associated with CC.

There is zero problem but laziness.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by askyamaz
At all the other hotels in the world, the cash out standard policy is an official thing at Hyatt and non-Hyatts, like they have a line item and physical form, does not count towards spend. Yes it is a small bit more work but convenient for the guests at a FIVE STAR HOTEL. Instead they direct guests to exchange USD CASH for their 3rd party conversion machine in the lobby that charges 20%, VERY CONVENIENT INDEED but for who??

Additionally some hotels charge 5% to offset any fees associated with CC.

There is zero problem but laziness.
I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it advertised or mentioned as a service of the hotel. Is such a thing available anywhere else in hotels in Singapore? Changing money in Singapore (when you already have the physical currency) is extremely easy, tons of exchange places at competitive rates. For all I know, trying to do what you're saying should be "easy" requires a banking license in Singapore.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 2:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Pickles
I'm sure it happens, but I've never seen it advertised or mentioned as a service of the hotel. Is such a thing available anywhere else in hotels in Singapore? Changing money in Singapore (when you already have the physical currency) is extremely easy, tons of exchange places at competitive rates. For all I know, trying to do what you're saying should be "easy" requires a banking license in Singapore.
I would certainly not have any expectation that a property would ever do that - in Singapore or anywhere else.
Old Dec 1, 2022, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I got denied at the St Regis Chengdu when I was having trouble with my ATM card and had zero access to cash. This was pre-Uber/DiDi and I barely made it back to the airport with just enough to pay cab fare.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 5:06 pm

Looking at a stay here for 2 adults 2 children. Can I book a king room for 2 on points (no points options for occupancy of 4), then apply the SUA and have the suite sleep 4? where is the 2nd bed in the suite? a pull out queen sofa sleeper?
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by chachi22
Looking at a stay here for 2 adults 2 children. Can I book a king room for 2 on points (no points options for occupancy of 4), then apply the SUA and have the suite sleep 4? where is the 2nd bed in the suite? a pull out queen sofa sleeper?
If a standard suite is bookable for 4 then you should have no problem. If it's not then you'll have to ask the hotel for its policy/permission. Sometimes they say it's ok based on the ages of the kids.

Either way I would contact the hotel directly, but in the first scenario I'd be more informing the hotel rather than asking permission.
Old Dec 6, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat, Fairmont Premier
On the bedding question, I'm pretty sure there is no sofa bed in the standard suite (Andaz Suite King), so my guess is that you will get rollaway beds. The hotel website lists a max capacity of 3 adults or 2 adults and 2 children (below the age of 12)
Old Dec 10, 2022, 9:37 pm

Thanks! How strict are the rules for children under the age of 12? Will they take our word for it or will they be checking passports?
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Thanks! How strict are the rules for children under the age of 12? Will they take our word for it or will they be checking passports?
Sounds like you got something to hide.
Old Dec 10, 2022, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Sounds like you got something to hide.
Just a 13 year old. Anyone have a helpful comment? ty
Old Dec 11, 2022, 1:52 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Just a 13 year old. Anyone have a helpful comment? ty
Depends if you want an awkward conversation about you being a liar and cheat in front of your family, I guess. A reminder that this is Singapore, land of the law-abiding.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.