Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by chachi22
Thanks! How strict are the rules for children under the age of 12? Will they take our word for it or will they be checking passports?
No Idea how strict they are but they did take our passports and made copies when we checked in, so they do look at them.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 8:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Depends if you want an awkward conversation about you being a liar and cheat in front of your family, I guess. A reminder that this is Singapore, land of the law-abiding.
Agree with the sentiment, but I suspect the staff here would handle the confrontation pretty smoothly, without a direct accusation of attempted fraud.

Whether this is an appropriate lesson for the kids is beyond the scope of this forum.
lsquare likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
​​​​​​Dollar for dollar, I would go with GH over the Andaz after the refresh since I've read there is a lounge. The Andaz doesn't have one, so from my perspective it doesn't provide as much value for a Globalist like me.
Have a 2-day of day stopover in SIN coming up, and was considering staying here to burn one of my TSUs. Since you're familiar with both, can you dumb it down for me (aside from the lounge) and offer some insights on why you prefer the GH over the Andaz?

Thanks!
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:27 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Visconti
Have a 2-day of day stopover in SIN coming up, and was considering staying here to burn one of my TSUs. Since you're familiar with both, can you dumb it down for me (aside from the lounge) and offer some insights on why you prefer the GH over the Andaz?
Not directed to me, but I've stayed at both and would vote for Andaz based just on location. Only reason I'd consider staying at Orchard Road is I like running the Botanical Gardens. Otherwise, the Andaz location is much more interesting and convenient (unless, that is, you really really like big shopping malls).

I also prefer the feel of the Andaz. GH is a very large property focused on corporate events. Andaz is smaller and cooler and has much more interesting views.
econ likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Not directed to me, but I've stayed at both and would vote for Andaz based just on location. Only reason I'd consider staying at Orchard Road is I like running the Botanical Gardens. Otherwise, the Andaz location is much more interesting and convenient (unless, that is, you really really like big shopping malls).

I also prefer the feel of the Andaz. GH is a very large property focused on corporate events. Andaz is smaller and cooler and has much more interesting views.
Many thanks! This was very helpful.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 7:16 pm
Community Director Emerita

...why you prefer the GH over the Andaz?!
Grand Hyatt is closed for a few months of renovation though my search says it will reopen first quarter 2023.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/n...reopening-2023
Old Dec 11, 2022, 9:46 pm

Programs: QF WP, WoH Glob, Accor Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

Thanks!
My thought's on this were posted earlier in this thread, and still stand for now. Will re-assess once the GH Singapore refurb is complete.

Originally Posted by gravii
There are pro's and con's of each property. Having stayed at both, my personal preference is Andaz.Can't really fault the service at either property, both are equally good in my opinion.

Grand Hyatt Singapore
  • Rooms are large and comfortable, but have no view. The deluxe rooms, second up from the base category are in a suite layout with separate living/bed areas.
    • Note that this is the room you will be upgraded to as a Globalist, which is not considered a true suite at this property.
    • The actual standard suites here, which you get if applying a TSU, are huge and exceptionally spacious.
    • Rooms a little old and tired, however property currently under renovation.
  • Good location, easy access to MRT and shopping at your doorstep.
  • Pool is a little out of the way and doesn't have a 'wow factor'.
  • Property has a lounge, which makes for a good place to have an evening bite and drink.
    • When breakfast is served at the lounge, this is not as good as a proper restaurant breakfast.
  • Free parking.
Andaz Singapore
  • Great rooms, with modern styling and good views.
  • Location not as good, but still directly above an MRT so easy to get anywhere you need.
  • Very nice infinity pool, view of the sea and Marina Bay Sands.
  • Free minibar.
  • Good restaurant breakfast.
  • No lounge, though given you're in Singapore there are plenty of alternatives available.
  • No free parking, despite inferior location.
Old Dec 11, 2022, 11:22 pm

Note the Andaz does have a lounge, though it's not as elaborate as your typical Grand or Regency Club. It consists of a nice seating area off the lobby, and offers non-alcoholic beverages plus biscuits. Since I mostly use club lounges to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, this was perfect for me.
Old Dec 12, 2022, 6:43 am

Thanks, again! All the insights have been very helpful, and I'll book the Andaz. Since it's my first time there, just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake, as I too often do when it comes to these things.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 4:38 am

Looking at 2-3 nights in June - both andaz and Hotel Telegraph are showing 20k/night. GH shows unavailable for the dates - is that likely to change? Any reason to consider the telegraph or is the andaz the way to go? will be a solo trip. wasn't planning on burning a TSU unless my flight changes and I end up doing 3 nights instead of 2...
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:25 am

Note the Andaz does have a lounge, though it's not as elaborate as your typical Grand or Regency Club. It consists of a nice seating area off the lobby, and offers non-alcoholic beverages plus biscuits. Since I mostly use club lounges to enjoy a cup of coffee or tea, this was perfect for me.
Definitely wouldn't put that in the same category as a Grand Club. Though as a Globalist I got two alcoholic drink vouchers as well. Also, as an Andaz you receive complimentary minibar which is replenished daily at Singapore. With Nespresso machines and TWG tea in room, I generally just stick to the room for non-alcoholic beverages.

Originally Posted by pesos
Looking at 2-3 nights in June - both andaz and Hotel Telegraph are showing 20k/night. GH shows unavailable for the dates - is that likely to change? Any reason to consider the telegraph or is the andaz the way to go? will be a solo trip. wasn't planning on burning a TSU unless my flight changes and I end up doing 3 nights instead of 2...
Grand Hyatt would likely re-open by then. However, would go with Andaz over the Telegraph given the latter is a SLH hotel. You will not receive Globalist benefits with SLH.
pesos likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 5:45 am

Definitely wouldn't put that in the same category as a Grand Club.
Depends on what you're looking for. If free low-quality liquor or a meal substitute is the primary draw, then Andaz lounge will not measure up. Neither of those particularly interest me though, particularly in a city like Singapore with so many great food options.

would go with Andaz over the Telegraph given the latter is a SLH hotel. You will not receive Globalist benefits with SLH.
I wouldn't automatically opt for Hyatt over SLH on that basis alone, it would really depend on the property. Note that for SLH bookings, all WoH members get free breakfast and one cat room upgrade, if available.

I did like Andaz Singapore quite a bit though, and would definitely recommend it.
Old Dec 29, 2022, 6:04 am

Depends on what you're looking for. If free low-quality liquor or a meal substitute is the primary draw, then Andaz lounge will not measure up. Neither of those particularly interest me though, particularly in a city like Singapore with so many great food options.
Yes I agree on this. Alluded to this in a previous post. It is always good to have that option though, and the GH Singapore lounge is one of the better Grand Club's out there.

I wouldn't automatically opt for Hyatt over SLH on that basis alone, it would really depend on the property. Note that for SLH bookings, all WoH members get free breakfast and one cat room upgrade, if available.
I did like Andaz Singapore quite a bit though, and would definitely recommend it.
This is a primary consideration for me, unless the price of SLH is significantly better. Late checkout is not guaranteed at SLH, and I make significant use of this benefit. It's not possible to upgrade to a suite, TSU, points, or at check in. Additionally, breakfast is continental only - although the same argument regarding Singapore food options would apply here.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 5:30 am

I really enjoyed my recent stay here over NYE. True to Andaz's brand, the property is refreshingly unique for a non-boutique hotel. Both the hard product and soft product are very solid.

The view
The hotel occupies floors 25-39, so there's not really a bad view in the house. I booked the base king room and got "upgraded" to a city view king. Ordinarily this wouldn't be much of an upgrade, however, we had a view of the 70 minute Marina Bay fireworks show for New Years Eve, which was pretty special!

Unfortunately for the hotel, a massive new building (Guoco Midtown) has just gone up blocking much of the view of the Marina Bay Sands and part of the fireworks. Rooms 22-30 on each floor have a view of the fireworks with rooms XX30 at the west corner of the building having the best view since they're least obstructed by Guoco Midtown.

Mr. Stork on floor 39 used to be one of the best spots in the city to watch the fireworks, but since Guoco Midtown is a bit taller, it significantly obstructs the view. If I had paid the $298++ SGD per person for standing room only to have an obstructed views of the fireworks show, I would have been rather disappointed. (To be fair, this does include an open bar and canapés.)

The room
The hardware quality of the room is very solid. The room is stylish with unique details reminiscent of the Arab Street neighborhood, such as the brightly colored shutter doors to the bathroom and postbox-style keycard reader. The blinds automatically open upon entering the room, the lamps are dimmable, and there's bedside controls for lighting and shades. The bathroom is a good size and features a separate WC room. The TV has casting capabilities.

Service & elite recognition
We experienced great service during our stay. Housekeeping and turndown service was flawless. The hotel distributed custom macaroons to each room to celebrate NYE and left us a small bottle of Frapin 1270 cognac as a welcome gift. I'm used to hotels leaving a very cheap bottle of wine to welcome elite members, but Frapin 1270 is a cut above at $60+ USD for a full-sized bottle. The hotel even comped our lunch on New Year's day when we missed the window for breakfast (11a on weekends).

The hotel isn't in the most desirable of neighborhoods, but is very conveniently located. The Duo complex, which includes the hotel, features a galleria with quite a few shops and restaurants and is connected underground to the Bugis MRT interchange. The hotel is a few blocks from Arab Street, on the same block as the spectacular Atlas bar (a must see), a few kilometers walk to Marina Bay, and a half mile to the Raffles hotel and other notable attractions.

Overall
The hotel certainly doesn't rise to the level of luxury, but we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend it.
Old Jan 1, 2023, 6:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Adding the the post above that xx21 suites now have very very obstructed view of nye fireworks - a major bummer as we booked it nearly a year ago to watch from the room with kids. Should have gone outside but took a gamble hoping to see at least some launch sites.

Aside from that no complaints - interesting location usual glob perks late checkout breakfast for 2+2, huge bathroom and closet and a sliding door to bedroom
suite only has space for one rollaway but couch is fairly large for kids to sleep on

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.