Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2022, 2:34 pm
was ShootinPutin11

Programs: AA-Plat, Hyatt-Globalist, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium, UA-Silver, DL-Silver
Thanks for the perspectives on the suite vs. room at the property, it's very helpful for a future stay. I stayed at the Andaz for the first time in 2021 right after Hawaii opened again to tourists on a booking made 6 months beforehand on the hopes that tourists would be allowed by then.

I watched the base room rate balloon from ~$800/night to $2.2k+/night due to the incredible pent-up demand. Even then, for the 2-3 days directly leading up to our 5 night stay, the property was completely sold out. I was fully prepared to "just" have a base room, so I was extremely happy when we were told they had upgraded us to a 1 King Bed Ocean View room (not partial ocean view). And the view definitely lived up to its name . I didn't ask for an upgrade at check-in, drop hints, or anything, since the hotel seemed to be legitimately sold out, and their reputation for upgrades is pretty poor. I had noted in the reservation at the time of booking that we were staying there for my partner's birthday (and her driver's license backed that up), but that was it.

I don't know if we got lucky or if the hotel has a worse reputation for upgrades than it deserves, but we're planning to head back on a category 7 redemption in 2023, and I'll be thrilled if we "only" get an upgrade to an Ocean View room again. At the end of the day, with how full I expect the hotel will be, I don't feel like they owe me anything, even as a Globalist. If they had low occupancy and higher category rooms/standard suites were available, I'd feel differently.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:54 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Globalist Benefits & Spa

Can someone confirm the Globalist breakfast here (as I believe I read several years back that the Andaz Maui had made some changes to the Globalist breakfast benefit)?

Also, does a guest have access to the spa (i.e. dry sauna...) without a spa treatment? Thanks!
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:59 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by MarkP24
Can someone confirm the Globalist breakfast here (as I believe I read several years back that the Andaz Maui had made some changes to the Globalist breakfast benefit
Just finished a stay here. What do you need confirmed about breakfast? It still exists and it’s a buffet still.

As another data point for the earlier discussion, I booked an awards stay and applied a TSU after I saw a suite open up availability. I emailed a week ahead to nicely ask if there’s any possibility of an ocean view suite since it’s a special occasion. Day before check in I saw that I was confirmed into an ocean view suite. I’m very grateful!

They have also changed the activity sign ups for globalist so now we can sign up ahead of time for activities that require reservation rather than waiting until check-in.
Old Sep 25, 2022, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Cometstar
Just finished a stay here. What do you need confirmed about breakfast? It still exists and it’s a buffet still.

As another data point for the earlier discussion, I booked an awards stay and applied a TSU after I saw a suite open up availability. I emailed a week ahead to nicely ask if there’s any possibility of an ocean view suite since it’s a special occasion. Day before check in I saw that I was confirmed into an ocean view suite. I’m very grateful!

They have also changed the activity sign ups for globalist so now we can sign up ahead of time for activities that require reservation rather than waiting until check-in.
That's awesome!

Any idea if I can use the spa as a guest or if I need to book a treatment?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 3:28 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Southwest A-List, Alaska MVP, National EE, Hertz PC
Took a bug to make it right

Hyatt Explorist, points booking for an Andaz Suite. Prior to arrival, I notified both the property and Hyatt Concierge that 1) we are celebrating our anniversary and 2) we are extremely sensitive about insects after a bad experience last time so anything away from ground floor would be appreciated - as usual, they said they'll do their best to accommodate.

At check-in, we were assigned room 318 (ground floor suite in the Hema wing) - was told the only other room available was an ocean view suite on the 7th floor, which would cost us $600/night upcharge. We politely declined and begged for something that's not ground floor - even one floor up would be fine. No dice.

After arriving in the room, we received a call from the front desk offering to move us into the 7th floor room for a reduced $300/night upcharge. It was still out of our budget, so we stayed put and unpacked nervously, tried not to think too much about the possibility of insects.

That night before going to bed, a large cockroach appeared in our bathroom sink. They immediately moved us to that 7th floor ocean view suite for free.

On top of this, there were other misses such as the radio alarm (which I did not touch at all) ringing at 5:00am waking up myself and my infant child, while I frantically tried to figure out how to turn it off. Also an even larger cockroach hanging out at one of the elevator doors near the pool.

To be fair, I had a lengthy discussion with the front office manager the day after, in which she completely owned these service misses and went above and beyond to provide additional compensation - I greatly appreciated that. I understood the popularity of the property and their need to protect capacity/revenue, while she also understood how their approach to room negotiation made it feel like used car sales to me, and admitted that they delivered a subpar experience for my family. Kudos to her for making our stay better.

I'm torn on this property. It's where I honeymooned with my spouse. I would love to come back year after year, bring our growing family here, and make new memories. But their snobby attitude (they know they're a hot commodity/aspirational property*, can squeeze max revenue out of each room, therefore are very stingy even toward Hyatt elites) makes it difficult for me to return.

*On this stay, we noticed that this hot commodity among Hawaii resorts is starting to show its age - walls/furniture are cracking, paint is peeling, etc...unless a renovation is planned in the next few years, it may end up like the Grand Wailea. (honestly I have no idea why people willingly pay for GW, where the rooms are straight up dilapidated and service is nonexistent)
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond

regarding the globalist breakfast, are globalists just limited to the cold buffet? or are there any other limitations to the buffet breakfast? (will be going next week)

My wife and I had been super spoiled by this property in 2014 (they had recently opened) and they were comping everything on the breakfast menu for globalist breakfast!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by elasticc0
Hyatt Explorist, points booking for an Andaz Suite. Prior to arrival, I notified both the property and Hyatt Concierge that 1) we are celebrating our anniversary and 2) we are extremely sensitive about insects after a bad experience last time so anything away from ground floor would be appreciated - as usual, they said they'll do their best to accommodate.

At check-in, we were assigned room 318 (ground floor suite in the Hema wing) - was told the only other room available was an ocean view suite on the 7th floor, which would cost us $600/night upcharge. We politely declined and begged for something that's not ground floor - even one floor up would be fine. No dice.

After arriving in the room, we received a call from the front desk offering to move us into the 7th floor room for a reduced $300/night upcharge. It was still out of our budget, so we stayed put and unpacked nervously, tried not to think too much about the possibility of insects.

That night before going to bed, a large cockroach appeared in our bathroom sink. They immediately moved us to that 7th floor ocean view suite for free.

On top of this, there were other misses such as the radio alarm (which I did not touch at all) ringing at 5:00am waking up myself and my infant child, while I frantically tried to figure out how to turn it off. Also an even larger cockroach hanging out at one of the elevator doors near the pool.

To be fair, I had a lengthy discussion with the front office manager the day after, in which she completely owned these service misses and went above and beyond to provide additional compensation - I greatly appreciated that. I understood the popularity of the property and their need to protect capacity/revenue, while she also understood how their approach to room negotiation made it feel like used car sales to me, and admitted that they delivered a subpar experience for my family. Kudos to her for making our stay better.

I'm torn on this property. It's where I honeymooned with my spouse. I would love to come back year after year, bring our growing family here, and make new memories. But their snobby attitude (they know they're a hot commodity/aspirational property*, can squeeze max revenue out of each room, therefore are very stingy even toward Hyatt elites) makes it difficult for me to return.

*On this stay, we noticed that this hot commodity among Hawaii resorts is starting to show its age - walls/furniture are cracking, paint is peeling, etc...unless a renovation is planned in the next few years, it may end up like the Grand Wailea. (honestly I have no idea why people willingly pay for GW, where the rooms are straight up dilapidated and service is nonexistent)
moral of the story... go outside and catch a bug and put it in the sink to get free upgrades!!!!!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:13 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by zzrayzz
moral of the story... go outside and catch a bug and put it in the sink to get free upgrades!!!!!
Bugs move quickly, have iPhone ready
Old Sep 28, 2022, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
Bugs move quickly, have iPhone ready
lol i should upgrade to the latest iphone just in case then! if i land an upgrade to ocean view suite (currently booked andaz suite with SUA) itll basically be like a free iphone!
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:37 am

not sure bugs are really a hotel's problem. Bugs probably think humans are problems too.

The used car salesman like tactics of offering an upgrade, letting you walk, and then cutting the price does seem quite scummy for such an upscale hotel. That absolutely sounds like a management thing as no front desk agent is going to care once you leave their desk..
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:59 am
Suspended

regarding the globalist breakfast, are globalists just limited to the cold buffet? or are there any other limitations to the buffet breakfast? (will be going next week)

My wife and I had been super spoiled by this property in 2014 (they had recently opened) and they were comping everything on the breakfast menu for globalist breakfast!
while there in June, the entire buffet was available, from cold cereal to made to order eggs. Not sure about the menu as we never looked at one. The buffet was more than enough to cover our breakfast needs
Old Sep 28, 2022, 11:43 am

full buffet with hot and cold food! Last time I went the espresso machine was broken but this time it’s working and I’m enjoying my mac nut lattes. They have a few rotating hot food selections everyday so it changes.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

full buffet with hot and cold food! Last time I went the espresso machine was broken but this time it’s working and I’m enjoying my mac nut lattes. They have a few rotating hot food selections everyday so it changes.
Interesting. Mac nut milk or flavoring?
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
Interesting. Mac nut milk or flavoring?
macadamia nut syrup though I wonder if they have macadamia nut milk. They get it pretty close to the ones served at island vintage coffee.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

macadamia nut syrup though I wonder if they have macadamia nut milk. They get it pretty close to the ones served at island vintage coffee.
Thanks. I'm not one for the syrup but I do like the milk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.