Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:01 pm

I have suite upgrade left to burn and a stay next January. Looks like there is a suite available, any recent opinions on whether the upgrade is worth it or keep the standard room we have booked and see if it's possible to get an ocean view upgrade?

We stayed here 5 years ago and used a upgrade to the pool side suite. If memory serves, the view was not great. Any recent data points would be most appreciated.
Old Aug 5, 2022, 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by jackthedog
I have suite upgrade left to burn and a stay next January. Looks like there is a suite available, any recent opinions on whether the upgrade is worth it or keep the standard room we have booked and see if it's possible to get an ocean view upgrade?

We stayed here 5 years ago and used a upgrade to the pool side suite. If memory serves, the view was not great. Any recent data points would be most appreciated.
save the suite upgrade because, why? To use it for another 5 night stay at a cat 8 resort?
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

The pool side suite was the standard suite for suite upgrade awards back then, but it is now the Andaz Suite, which generally gets you a no or limited view room. As noted up-thread, if the view is important to you and space not so much of an issue, then you may want to save the suite upgrade award and roll the dice for a better ocean view room. On the other hand, depending on when you go, you may get lucky and have a higher floor Andaz Suite. Although, given how popular Hawaii in general has been since it reopened during the pandemic, that may be a low chance - we’ve been to the Andaz five or six times since 2021 and each time received the lowest floor Andaz Suite. The Andaz Suite on the lowest level in the Akau wing probably has the best partial ocean from the room. The Andaz Suite in the Makai wing (adjacent to the pool suites) on the lowest level has absolutely no view. The Andaz Suite in the Hema wing on the lowest level has a little patio you can walk out onto but has no ocean view either.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 9:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)

They will upgrade you to an ocean view room if available.

An additional consideration though is that the rooms here lack comfortable seating areas (in fact, the layout/furnishings are pretty bad IMO). So you'll have to weigh how important it is to have a comfortable place to hang out in your room against the possibility of a view.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Seagull689
save the suite upgrade because, why? To use it for another 5 night stay at a cat 8 resort?
Originally Posted by slippahs
The pool side suite was the standard suite for suite upgrade awards back then, but it is now the Andaz Suite, which generally gets you a no or limited view room. As noted up-thread, if the view is important to you and space not so much of an issue, then you may want to save the suite upgrade award and roll the dice for a better ocean view room. On the other hand, depending on when you go, you may get lucky and have a higher floor Andaz Suite. Although, given how popular Hawaii in general has been since it reopened during the pandemic, that may be a low chance - we’ve been to the Andaz five or six times since 2021 and each time received the lowest floor Andaz Suite. The Andaz Suite on the lowest level in the Akau wing probably has the best partial ocean from the room. The Andaz Suite in the Makai wing (adjacent to the pool suites) on the lowest level has absolutely no view. The Andaz Suite in the Hema wing on the lowest level has a little patio you can walk out onto but has no ocean view either.
Originally Posted by Kacee
They will upgrade you to an ocean view room if available.

An additional consideration though is that the rooms here lack comfortable seating areas (in fact, the layout/furnishings are pretty bad IMO). So you'll have to weigh how important it is to have a comfortable place to hang out in your room against the possibility of a view.

Thanks for the input - I went ahead and applied the upgrade. I was struggling to come up with another location to use the upgrade. I appreciate the input and rundown on locations of the suites.
Old Aug 8, 2022, 3:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
I dont even think their ocean views are that great. You see the villas etc. Ive had ocean view suite on highest flr (I believe 6th flr?) and thought the view was meh. But the suites are spacious and very comfortable compared to a regular room.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 12:17 pm

Programs: Globalist, Diamond via Aspire
Just had our first breakfast at Andaz Maui. Was upgraded to Ocean View Suite from Andaz Suite(Applied TSU). Room is modern and luxury with partial view. Breakfast buffet is solid. Now I am walking to the Island Gourmet Markets to buy sunscreen because I told my wife ppl on flyertalk says no need to bring your own sunscreen.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Wintertiger
Just had our first breakfast at Andaz Maui. Was upgraded to Ocean View Suite from Andaz Suite(Applied TSU). Room is modern and luxury with partial view. Breakfast buffet is solid. Now I am walking to the Island Gourmet Markets to buy sunscreen because I told my wife ppl on flyertalk says no need to bring your own sunscreen.
Thanks for the data point. Does this mean they don’t carry their own sunscreen? I told my wife the same thing.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There should be sunscreen at the hut on the hot tub level with the towels, and also down at Bumbye level with those towels, and some other places. Nothing there?
Cometstar likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by Cmag211
Thanks for the data point. Does this mean they don’t carry their own sunscreen? I told my wife the same thing.
they have it in a dispenser by the pools where the towels are, you dispense it into a little sauce container

did you get upgraded to the ocean view suite proactively? Or did you have to ask Specifically either before your stay or when you checked in?
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
Plenty sunscreen by the poolsides. Wife thought the hotel has it in the room..
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cometstar
they have it in a dispenser by the pools where the towels are, you dispense it into a little sauce container

did you get upgraded to the ocean view suite proactively? Or did you have to ask Specifically either before your stay or when you checked in?
when I got the welcome email a few days ago, I asked if the can assign me a room with view. Later an assistant director emailed back saying they have put a request for me. Sunday afternoon ocean view suite showed up on my stay detail.
Cometstar likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
when I got the welcome email a few days ago, I asked if the can assign me a room with view. Later an assistant director emailed back saying they have put a request for me. Sunday afternoon ocean view suite showed up on my stay detail.
Nice!

Any idea of how full the hotel is?

How long is your stay?

My last stay, I had to pay to get further upgraded.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Nice!

How long is your stay?

we will spend 6 nights here. Don’t feel the crowd. Here I attach a pic of one of the pools so you can see.

beachfan likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2022, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by beachfan
Nice!

How long is your stay?

I’m here now and was told occupancy was about 60%. Feels much different than the last stay six months ago. Still no further upgrades though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.