Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2022, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
That is a silly argument for many reasons. I will continue to always ask politely at (Hyatt) hotels because oftentimes they will provide further upgrades, and yes, oftentimes “for no reason at all” other than status, I’m a regular guest, low occupancy, or -insert any other reason here-. In my opinion, there’s no entitlement whatsoever in asking. It’s how you handle the situation when/if your request is declined.
enjoy your standard suite
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
do you politely request free drinks when dining at your favorite local restaurant? do you order a small coffee and ask for a free upgrade to a large latte from your local barista? you are literally asking for thousands of dollars of value on an average 4-5 night stay on Maui for free, for no reason at all.
Majority, if not all, elites in every hotel program has no problem politely asking for a suite upgrades at or a little in advance of check in, because part of the program is granting suite upgrades to elites if available. Your local restaurant and barista normally has no such a program so it's not a comparison at all.

I once booked a premium suite on points and as a Globalist tried my luck and asked at check-in if an upgrade to the presidential suite was available. It was off peak season and they had no problem giving it to me for 2 out of 3 nights. So it really doesn't hurt to ask; perhaps at a resort such as this Andaz property your chances are lower of actually being granted your request but that shouldn't prevent anybody from trying their luck.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
Majority, if not all, elites in every hotel program has no problem politely asking for a suite upgrades at or a little in advance of check in, because part of the program is granting suite upgrades to elites if available. Your local restaurant and barista normally has no such a program so it's not a comparison at all.

I once booked a premium suite on points and as a Globalist tried my luck and asked at check-in if an upgrade to the presidential suite was available. It was off peak season and they had no problem giving it to me for 2 out of 3 nights. So it really doesn't hurt to ask; perhaps at a resort such as this Andaz property your chances are lower of actually being granted your request but that shouldn't prevent anybody from trying their luck.
free upgrades to premium suites is not a part of the World of Hyatt program. the guy came on FT to complain and get advice from others’ experiences with premium suites. i gave him solid advice based upon my own experience where i end up in premium suites at this property every stay for the past 10 years and illuminated the downside of his “just politely asking” approach. apparently, dude didn’t really want advice
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
free upgrades to premium suites is not a part of the World of Hyatt program. the guy came on FT to complain and get advice from others’ experiences with premium suites. i gave him solid advice based upon my own experience where i end up in premium suites at this property every stay for the past 10 years and illuminated the downside of his “just politely asking” approach. apparently, dude didn’t really want advice
I didn't notice the guy complaining. Asking for advice, yes. Which is what FT is here for .

I understand that premium suites may not be part of the program to the letter of the law, but a Globalist or even other elite member (in which status means this customer is loyal to Hyatt) politely asking for an upgrade should rather be granted one than a 1 time non-elite customer if any were getting it at all.

Not everyone has service recovery issues from a current or past stay (which is great IMO and reflects well on the property!) or can use any of your other ideas which may work better than the just because line, so I still think that elite members can try their luck by just asking nicely.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:18 pm

I didn't notice the guy complaining. Asking for advice, yes. Which is what FT is here for .

I understand that premium suites may not be part of the program to the letter of the law, but a Globalist or even other elite member (in which status means this customer is loyal to Hyatt) politely asking for an upgrade should rather be granted one than a 1 time non-elite customer if any were getting it at all.

Not everyone has service recovery issues from a current or past stay (which is great IMO and reflects well on the property!) or can use any of your other ideas which may work better than the just because line, so I still think that elite members can try their luck by just asking nicely.
asking for a freebie nicely is not without downside risk
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I think the issue here is that the property wants revenue for that premium suite, which is why OP was offered a paid upgrade. Management may well leave prefer to leave it empty rather than upgrade anyone.

The comment about upgrading a one time Expedia guest was ridiculous, is clearly not the norm at this property and is causing some pointless debate here.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I think the issue here is that the property wants revenue for that premium suite, which is why OP was offered a paid upgrade. Management may well leave prefer to leave it empty rather than upgrade anyone.

The comment about upgrading a one time Expedia guest was ridiculous, is clearly not the norm at this property and is causing some pointless debate here.
the point is that many hospitality managers have a visceral disgust at low-revenue guests asking for freebies on top on freebies. if the hotel was fully committed with only a standard suite and a premium suite left for the two guests remaining to check-in, i would absolutely leave in his confirmed standard suite the globalst award+TSU guest who emailed me earlier asking for a free upgrade and give the premium suite free upgrade to other guest who booked via Expedia & didn’t ask for a freebie. Asking for freebies rubs many many people the wrong way. And there’s just no reason to take that downside risk when you can apply a modicum of human ingenuity to create an angle.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
the point is that many hospitality managers have a visceral disgust at low-revenue guests asking for freebies on top on freebies.
Sure and many of us have the same reaction here.

But property management often has the same attitude toward bargain-hunting OTA bookers, who tend to be at least equally unprofitable. So I'm pretty confortable saying the Expedia customer booked into the lowest category room is not getting the Ocean View Suite as a comp upgrade ahead of a Globalist.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by Cmag211
The idea that they would rather upgrade a 3rd party one-off booking than a legitimate loyalist (over 100+ nights in recent years, most paid) who politely requests, not expects, an upgrade is completely lost on me.
Sure and many of us have the same reaction here.

But property management often has the same attitude toward bargain-hunting OTA bookers, who tend to be at least equally unprofitable. So I'm pretty confortable saying the Expedia customer booked into the lowest category room is not getting the Ocean View Suite as a comp upgrade ahead of a Globalist.
hospitality managers don’t have the same visceral disgust at a low/no maintenance Expedia guest. regardless, i stand firmly by my advice to create an angle to avoid the downside risk. never, ever ask for a freebie without an angle. get the manager’s name and lookup his LinkedIn profile to find something useful. be charming & funny at check-in, make a silly joke about a swanky suite. flirt. lookup the price differential and suggest a upgrade fee that’s a third of the differential and explain it’s a splurge after a rough year. anything other than give me a freebie.
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:38 pm

i stand firmly by my advice to create an angle to avoid the downside risk. never, ever ask for a freebie without an angle. get the manager’s name and lookup his LinkedIn profile to find something useful. be charming & funny at check-in, make a silly joke about a swanky suite. flirt. lookup the price differential and suggest a upgrade fee that’s a third of the differential and explain it’s a splurge after a rough year. anything other than give me a freebie.
I've found the best way to get premium suite upgrades at any given property is to stay frequently and spend lots of money there.

I don't generally ask for or expect a free upgrade beyond program rules.
bbbb likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:15 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
the point is that many hospitality managers have a visceral disgust at low-revenue guests asking for freebies on top on freebies. if the hotel was fully committed with only a standard suite and a premium suite left for the two guests remaining to check-in, i would absolutely leave in his confirmed standard suite the globalst award+TSU guest who emailed me earlier asking for a free upgrade and give the premium suite free upgrade to other guest who booked via Expedia & didn’t ask for a freebie. Asking for freebies rubs many many people the wrong way. And there’s just no reason to take that downside risk when you can apply a modicum of human ingenuity to create an angle.
I did what you said, (very special occasion, fliwers, same suite as last time, which might have been the an Andaz suite it the other wing that had a view), didn’t work.

staying 10 times there might work. But your advice didn’t. This is the same GM that restricted suite upgrades at the Andaz 5th Avenue when she was there.

offering a lower fee in advance may.

A clever “angle” didn’t.
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 12, 2022 at 3:39 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:02 am

Originally Posted by beachfan
I did what you said, (very special occasion, fliwers, same suite as last time, which might have been the an Andaz suite it the other wing that had a view), didn’t work.

staying 10 times there might work. But your advice didn’t. This is the same GM that restricted suite upgrades at the Andaz 5th Avenue when she was there.

offering a lower fee in advance may.

A clever “angle” didn’t.
it's an art. up your game.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 8:27 am

I guess it's an empirical question whether being straightforward and polite with a request for a perishable inventory item v. attempting a laughably transparent "angle" is the better on-average approach to get extra suite upgrades. Doesn't seem as simple to me as the particular psychology of the manager but rather it's likely a complicated weighing of several considerations including maintaining suite pricing integrity, increasing the likelihood of variable spend from a satisfied guest, and generating customer goodwill.

I've had plenty of success over the years being nice and up front with any requests with FDAs and managers. Sometimes they accommodate, sometimes not. Either way it's a low stress proposition if you aren't expecting anything but treating it as a nice bonus. And then I don't have to play pretend on my vacation.
friedablass and Cometstar like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:42 am

it's an art. up your game.
Or how about "don't be a jerk."
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Or how about "don't be a jerk."
Seems like some people just want to brag about how good they are at getting premium suite upgrades due to "how good they are at the game" or the art or whatever ridiculous thing they want to call it. Rather than actually provide useful information, they would rather just brag. What do we want to bet that the "art" is just paying a quoted upgrade fee?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.