Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Yeah - Andaz is, at the end of the day, a points hotel with a boutique/luxury brand (Andaz) that does not suggest high touch service like you would expect at a Four Seasons or whatever. It's not the Park Hyatt Maui, it's the Andaz Maui. And as crazy at it is, $1,000 to $1,200 a night seems like a price point a lot of people are willing to pay for Maui - not just those that frequent luxury hotels, but a broad mix of the traveling public. A price point of $2,000 a night or more (which is Four Seasons pricing) is probably a different ballgame.
Currently.

If we do have a recession, I'd expect this to change dramatically.

I'm still shocked that $1000 is the new normal for a beach hotel on Maui, and I don't think it'll last.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by josephstern
Currently.

If we do have a recession, I'd expect this to change dramatically.

I'm still shocked that $1000 is the new normal for a beach hotel on Maui, and I don't think it'll last.
We shall see. But as of now:

"Ten markets set all-time records for weekly ADR led by Maui, where ADR topped $1,164 — the highest of any market ever. Hawaii/Kauai also set a record for the week with ADR of $714, as did Oahu at $460 and Orlando at $200."

https://www.costar.com/article/11851...hotel-industry

And if that recession does hit, and prices do fall dramatically, Andaz will be at $500 and Four Seasons will be at $1,000 - so the point on the relative difference between the two hotels (and Andaz positioning as a "luxury" hotel) still stands

Last edited by Adelphos; Jan 9, 2023 at 11:36 am
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Adelphos
We shall see. But as of now:

"Ten markets set all-time records for weekly ADR led by Maui, where ADR topped $1,164 — the highest of any market ever. Hawaii/Kauai also set a record for the week with ADR of $714, as did Oahu at $460 and Orlando at $200."

https://www.costar.com/article/11851...hotel-industry

And if that recession does hit, and prices do fall dramatically, Andaz will be at $500 and Four Seasons will be at $1,000 - so the point on the relative difference between the two hotels (and Andaz positioning as a "luxury" hotel) still stands
lol imo recession won't be affecting these ppl thats currently paying the $1k/nt rates -- so i don't think rates will be dropping at andaz maui even if theres a recession... demand is too high over supply
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:59 am

Originally Posted by zzrayzz
lol imo recession won't be affecting these ppl thats currently paying the $1k/nt rates -- so i don't think rates will be dropping at andaz maui even if theres a recession... demand is too high over supply
Hawaii is a bit of a once-in-a-lifetime vacation for many middle/upper-middle class Americans. a $4000 lodging bill for a 4-night vacation, once, is quite doable. am not so sure Hawaii will get many repeat visitors at $1000/n for Andaz Maui caliber properties, in the same way Cancun gets so many repeat visitors for equivalent oceanfront properties in the $200-$300/n range.

i still go to Maui once a year, planned 11 months out, $1000 roundtrip J fare for 65,000 AMEX points (Biz Plat), stay in Andaz Wailea suite for 5 nights on points plus a TSU. if i were unable to secure points stay, i don't believe i'd pay $1000/n cash for a 20th return to Maui. lots of places in the world for beach vacations.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 2:23 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I no longer see the 185 dolllar rates at HR Hono or the 399 a night rooms at Andaz Maui 😢
Glad we indulged for years while the going was good
I remember when I thought 500 was highway robbery for a room at Andaz Maui with the Ikea like furniture
That said they were always great to me as a guest let’s see if the legend can still deliver next month here in 2023!
The breakfast there is solid like all Hyatts once were back in the day.
Sigh 🧐🥸🤪
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:20 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Somewhere over the rainbow…

Taken from lobby after AM workout
friedablass, buschoi and Illinwu like this.
Old Jan 13, 2023, 1:32 pm

How much do they charge for cash upgrade?

Andaz suite is the only suit one can use the SUA, and it’s not available during the days we are there. How much they charge per night for cash upgrade for Globalists? Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Illinwu
Andaz suite is the only suit one can use the SUA, and it’s not available during the days we are there. How much they charge per night for cash upgrade for Globalists? Thanks in advance.
I'm pretty sure that all depends on availability.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2023, 3:26 pm

this property is known to not offer any deals on paid upgrades. if you ask in advance or at checkin, you will very likely be quoted an upgrade amount equal to the standard rate difference between your assigned room & your desired room (perhaps even a higher amount if staying on points). perhaps if hotel is oversold or if your a frequent guest familiar to management, you might get some discount at checkin.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As the Andaz gets more expensive, maybe the better option is to just buy a private villa there - but you do still have a monthly fee:

https://www.redfin.com/HI/Wailea/355.../home/88631170
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Illinwu
I was successful last year at $300 for a Ocean View suite but that may have been a concession.

but this was based on availability upon arrival, not in advance.
Illinwu likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 5:18 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Having just returned a few weeks ago I’m sad to report it’s gone way downhill and my deep respect for the property has been diminished and the overall experience. At the current pricing I expected the same or superior experience
The property upkeep isn’t what it once was and as reported by others they have become Globalist unfriendly with a lot of back and forth.It’s poorly managed now.I may likely share the entire story and details if some are interested however I am waiting for Hyatt Consumer Affairs to respond for over a week now.If nothing else but to get an unknown charge to my credit card removed when I checked out with a zero dollar balance

While some nice team members remain and the breakfast is still strong I am convinced I’m unlikely to return.
The backdrop and setting is still magical at an extortionate cost be it revenue or points
Thousands of dollars worth of points but who’s counting?
All that said it’s a must stay at least once for anyone.All my stays in the past were superior bottom line
Old Feb 22, 2023, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Having just returned a few weeks ago I’m sad to report it’s gone way downhill and my deep respect for the property has been diminished and the overall experience. At the current pricing I expected the same or superior experience
The property upkeep isn’t what it once was and as reported by others they have become Globalist unfriendly with a lot of back and forth.It’s poorly managed now.I may likely share the entire story and details if some are interested however I am waiting for Hyatt Consumer Affairs to respond for over a week now.If nothing else but to get an unknown charge to my credit card removed when I checked out with a zero dollar balance

While some nice team members remain and the breakfast is still strong I am convinced I’m unlikely to return.
The backdrop and setting is still magical at an extortionate cost be it revenue or points
Thousands of dollars worth of points but who’s counting?
All that said it’s a must stay at least once for anyone.All my stays in the past were superior bottom line
our stay this month was the first in 10 years not to get a premium suite. standard suite 140 wasn’t all that bad - the extra light from an extra wall of windows makes 140 so much better than 138, the other standard suite. could see a smidge of ocean when standard in room or on balcony. other than that, same lovely experience as ever - Morimoto excellent, brekkie excellent, poolside service excellent, free snorkel equipment. really excellent housekeeping, including noghtly turndown, gym clean, ample towels, two free bottles of wine as welcome amenity, valet prompt.

oh yeah, one new negative. no more free coffee outside main restaurant in the mornings.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
I was successful last year at $300 for a Ocean View suite but that may have been a concession.

but this was based on availability upon arrival, not in advance.
Thank you.
Old Feb 22, 2023, 7:31 pm

Anyone have any pictures of a recent stay for the breakfast/menu?

I have 2 nights totaling 80k pts in April, which I firmly believe is an overpay, especially when I can get 3 nights with the same number of pts at the HR Maui. But, I think this is one of those "aspirational" properties I need to try once in my life!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.