Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 5, 22, 9:57 pm

Programs: United
did you email the hotel or your concierge?
Old Oct 19, 22, 8:37 pm

Just cancelled 12/11-12/14 standard room award night and see it back in inventory. Unfortunately it is at new category rates but at least its off-peak at 35k/night.
Old Oct 20, 22, 5:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, OZ Gold, UA Gold
Any experience trying to sneak a couple extra folks into a suite booked for 2? The rate differential is pretty chunky with cash and could help save some money - no experience doing so since I primarily travel in Asia and they tend to be strict about that kind of stuff.
Old Oct 20, 22, 2:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Fluff Ermine View Post
Any experience trying to sneak a couple extra folks into a suite booked for 2? The rate differential is pretty chunky with cash and could help save some money - no experience doing so since I primarily travel in Asia and they tend to be strict about that kind of stuff.
i booked 2 suites of 4ppl each. They didnt even check # of guests per room either. Just have the extra folks walk away/around the lobby area.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Nov 21, 22, 8:36 am

Programs: WN CP & A-List, National ES
The hotel no longer has a kids club. I was bummed to find this out as I was emailing the hotel about some pre arrival reservations for an upcoming trip over New Years.

Also the hotel contracts concierges services with Blue Hawaiian Activities, as seems to be a common practice among hotels in Hawaii these days. At first it was slow to get in touch with them by email to make some dinner reservations during a very busy time so I was highly skeptical. However they have proven helpful. I was hopeful they would be able to secure tables that werent available on opentable but they havent shown much magic so far but theyve had some good recs.
Old Nov 25, 22, 11:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Plat, HH Diamond, OZ Gold, UA Gold
Competition is stiff for holiday season 2023. Just booked the last standard room (for now) on Christmas weekend - would look to book now for those dates.
Old Dec 3, 22, 11:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
I'm excited finally to return to Andaz Maui, one of my favorite properties, after an initial stay in 2016. Back then, as a Diamond, I was upgraded only to Akau 643, which at the time was classified as "mountain view." It appears now to be called "resort view." I'm certainly hoping for something better this time as a Globalist, and have appreciated the ocean view room vs. no view suite discussions on this thread. One thing I haven't seen though: does every suite have a lounger on the balcony/patio, even if there is no view?

A few other questions:
- #4368 mentions that Globs can now reserve activities in advance - how far in advance, and how does one do it?
- long-range forecast for my stay is projecting 15-20 mph winds - is that going to cause problems for ocean activities?
- The hotel website still says each room has a complimentary minibar, but I've read on here that it is no longer the case, or you have to ask at the front desk - can anyone confirm from a recent stay?
- are beach chairs really not included in the resort fee, such that you have to pay extra for them?
Old Dec 4, 22, 8:26 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
- #4368 mentions that Globs can now reserve activities in advance - how far in advance, and how does one do it?
- long-range forecast for my stay is projecting 15-20 mph winds - is that going to cause problems for ocean activities?

Send an email to [email protected] for reserving activities in advance.

High winds will cancel ocean activities. Each day they will make a go no-go decision
Old Dec 4, 22, 9:11 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by JJ804 View Post
I'm excited finally to return to Andaz Maui, one of my favorite properties, after an initial stay in 2016. Back then, as a Diamond, I was upgraded only to Akau 643, which at the time was classified as "mountain view." It appears now to be called "resort view." I'm certainly hoping for something better this time as a Globalist, and have appreciated the ocean view room vs. no view suite discussions on this thread. One thing I haven't seen though: does every suite have a lounger on the balcony/patio, even if there is no view?

A few other questions:
- The hotel website still says each room has a complimentary minibar, but I've read on here that it is no longer the case, or you have to ask at the front desk - can anyone confirm from a recent stay?
- are beach chairs really not included in the resort fee, such that you have to pay extra for them?
that may have been my comment about reservations-they reached out to me about 1.5-2 weeks before my stay but you can also email the hotel to ask. Typically theres a globalist staff member who reaches out to see if theres anything to help with your stay.

The beach chairs for right in front of Andaz is free and they help you set up but theyre not like the HR where they provide beach chairs to take off property.

they refilled the snacks and drinks daily or I requested extra and they were brought to the room. Its just plain Maui chips, cookies, root beer, and POG.

high winds and swells will cancel water activities but its hard to know until day of. If you sign up for anything I recommend doing the earliest time as winds and ocean conditions are the most calm in the morning. For instance on my last trip, the 7am and 7:45am paddle boarders could go out but anytime after if was too rough.
Old Dec 4, 22, 4:26 pm

I'm going to be at the Andaz Maui from this Thursday the 8th through Sunday the 11th. Any other FTers there during those days? It would be fun to get a drink and compare WOH experiences.
Old Dec 4, 22, 6:56 pm

I've never reserved hotel activities before I've arrived and only had mild issues trying to book the free activities at the beach.

Yes, every suite I've been in has a lounger outside. I think they all have at least one lounger and two chairs and a small table. Some, like the pool suites, have two loungers.
Old Dec 4, 22, 7:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Some of the activities, like the mixology class, fills up quickly. If you are Globalist then use the email I posted to reserve in advance otherwise it might be booked up solid by the time you arrive due to the fact they only offer certain activities every other day or less. Don’t sleep on it
Old Dec 4, 22, 8:40 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Many days where winds are 15-20mph it's only that high in the afternoon, and there may be very little wind (and no chop at all) from 8-11a.

There's bingo (with free app or bar drink as prizes) at the bottom pool/bar (the kids pool) at noon every Monday/Wednesday/Saturday - kids love it (parents too lol).
Old Dec 8, 22, 6:52 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Delta Peon (Former GM, PM)
We just finished 6 nights here in an Oceanview room. The only negative was noise from the suite above whenever furniture was moved. Most of the time it was housekeeping to clean but it also happened late in the evening.

The hotel rooms will be updated next year which I expect will make it even better.

The hotel was not sold out - more like 60% so I didn't have any issue signing up for stuff as long as I did it a few days in advance.

The ocean activities are great. We tried all 3 craft and did Kayak solo and with 2 of us in a double. It's different Kayaking in Hawaii compared to Alaska which is the only other place I've Kayaked.

The Feast at Mokapu Luau was expensive but I thought it was worth it. Open Bar and I enjoyed all the food.

Class at the bar was fun, they do 3 different sets of drinks - so you have to go to 3 to see them all. We only went to 1 - learned about the original daiquiri and gimlet as well as a swizzle. That's 3x 1/2 drinks - all free!

The smoothie class was interesting. The normal person who ran it was out so it was run by one of the breakfast head chefs. The Kana Kitchen is really good, one of the best breakfasts I've seen at a US property (Japan is where we've had the best breakfasts) and really nice to get for free (since it's ~$120 a day for 2)

We will return for sure. It's so much better then the two Hyatt Regency's (I've not been to the Grand yet)
Old Dec 8, 22, 1:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hyatt Globalist
We checked out a couple of days ago as well. We came the first two Decembers they were open (2013 and 2014?) and had an incredible time 2013, but were disappointed 2014 since we had a similar noise issue Neric reported (except worse). First year TSU put us in an amazing top floor ocean view suite -- second year TSU put us in a first floor pool suite which sounded nice, but was extremely noisy half the night and really ruined our stay (and had no view). We finally decided to return after 8 years to give it another chance, and booked a TSU again but told our concierge about our noise issues the previous stay and requested a top floor room, and if we couldn't get that to return our TSU and get a standard high floor room. At check in they of course gave us suite 138 and said they don't give out any suites on floors higher than that to Globalists, so they swapped us to a top floor ocean view regular room and we were much happier there. Was told I'd get my TSU back, but am having some problems doing so after the fact.

Rooms are definitely looking a bit tired and worn, so glad to hear a refresh is in store. Loved our view and things were very quiet on the top floor so glad we swapped from the suite. Had an issue with water leaking out of the shower due to the poor design and problems with temperature regulation in the shower (would go from cold to hot and back repeatedly). Our favorite part of our stay now and in the past was the food. Breakfast buffet is even better now than 8/9 years ago, and is perhaps our favorite breakfast at any Hyatt (which is saying something!) Bacon was spectacular -- I'm drooling just thinking about it, and fruit, juice options, pastries, eggs/omelets to order, etc were all fantastic. Ka'ana Kitchen and Morimoto's were both as wonderful as always, and there are several other nice restaurants within walking distance (we in particular liked Lineage and the new Roy's concept in the Marriott called Humble Market Kitchin).

Also Globalists get a nice amenity at the market -- choice of macadamia nut trio, chocolate pack, or two types of wine. At this point I would definitely return, especially after the rooms are refreshed, but wouldn't use a TSU at this property again unless you really need the extra space and don't care about view/noise.

Search this Thread