Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Seems like some people just want to brag about how good they are at getting premium suite upgrades due to "how good they are at the game" or the art or whatever ridiculous thing they want to call it. Rather than actually provide useful information, they would rather just brag. What do we want to bet that the "art" is just paying a quoted upgrade fee?
no useful information? I've literally shared a dozen solid ideas to position yourself for a premium suite over the scores of globalists wanting the exact same premium suite, many of which work at this exact property where the manager has a predilection for not granting globalist award+TSU guests further upgrades. but, you do you.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Colin
no useful information? I've literally shared a dozen solid ideas to position yourself for a premium suite over the scores of globalists wanting the exact same premium suite, many of which work at this exact property where the manager has a predilection for not granting globalist award+TSU guests further upgrades. but, you do you.
You basically stated that one would need to find an issue with their previous stay that was severe enough to affect the past stay in order to "provide" an angle. Frankly, if I spent 10 years going back to a property where there were so many darn issues, I'd be kicking myself, premium suite or not, "but, you do you".
friedablass and Cmag211 like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
it's an art. up your game.
I’m calling BS on that.

my game is fine. I’ve gotten heritage suites at the Gritti Palace last 4 times on points stays, all stays of 5-7 nights. As well as lesser suites 4 of the previous 5 times. Among many other successes. Which isn’t relevant to anything here other than your insult.
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by beachfan; Sep 12, 2022 at 11:35 am
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:33 am

You basically stated that one would need to find an issue with their previous stay that was severe enough to affect the past stay in order to "provide" an angle. Frankly, if I spent 10 years going back to a property where there were so many darn issues, I'd be kicking myself, premium suite or not, "but, you do you".
"basically" is a tell of dishonesty

* get the manager’s name and lookup his LinkedIn profile to find something useful
* be charming & funny at check-in, make a silly joke about a swanky suite. flirt
* lookup the price differential and suggest a upgrade fee that’s a third of the differential and explain it’s a splurge after a rough year
* past guest wanting same suite as last trip
* a special birthday/anniversary occasion with a vague request for a "nice room" or "nice view"
* a genuine relationship from a past trip with a person who has the power to grant your request
* a service recovery from a problem on a prior trip
* a service recovery on the current trip like AC not working well or neighbor is loud with a request for remedy w/o a specific request for a free $500/n upgrade knowing there's unlikely another standard suite available
* staying on a Prive rate plan
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:47 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
"basically" is a tell of dishonesty

* get the manager’s name and lookup his LinkedIn profile to find something useful
* be charming & funny at check-in, make a silly joke about a swanky suite. flirt
* lookup the price differential and suggest a upgrade fee that’s a third of the differential and explain it’s a splurge after a rough year
* past guest wanting same suite as last trip
* a special birthday/anniversary occasion with a vague request for a "nice room" or "nice view"
* a genuine relationship from a past trip with a person who has the power to grant your request
* a service recovery from a problem on a prior trip
* a service recovery on the current trip like AC not working well or neighbor is loud with a request for remedy w/o a specific request for a free $500/n upgrade knowing there's unlikely another standard suite available
* staying on a Prive rate plan
So, which of these have you used to get a premium suite upgrade at the Andaz? Have you used the same tactic over and over again during the past 10 years? At some point, a property will call BS on these "angles" - "why do we keep giving this guest suite upgrades year after year?" or "why do they keep complaining about issues and still returning?" Out of this list, the only two that seem like they aren't limited in the number of times you could use them are having a relationship with someone at the hotel (only possible for some people as property leadership can't be best friends with everyone, and not useful advice to the majority on this forum) and offering to pay for the upgrade (I would not consider this a true upgrade as you paid for it). Again, you've rattled off a list to make yourself seem like an expert but have not actually explained the actual reason for your claimed success rate. If you don't want to actually help readers of this thread by giving up your secrets, fine, but don't attack others who ask reasonable questions about upgrades and antagonize them because of their "game."
friedablass likes this.

Last edited by ElevatorEnthusiast; Sep 12, 2022 at 11:48 am Reason: Misspelling
Old Sep 12, 2022, 11:54 am

So, which of these have you used to get a premium suite upgrade at the Andaz? Have you used the same tactic over and over again during the past 10 years? At some point, a property will call BS on these "angles" - "why do we keep giving this guest suite upgrades year after year?" or "why do they keep complaining about issues and still returning?" Out of this list, the only two that seem like they aren't limited in the number of times you could use them are having a relationship with someone at the hotel (only possible for some people as property leadership can't be best friends with everyone, and not useful advice to the majority on this forum) and offering to pay for the upgrade (I would not consider this a true upgrade as you paid for it). Again, you've rattled off a list to make yourself seem like an expert but have not actually explained the actual reason for your claimed success rate. If you don't want to actually help readers of this thread by giving up your secrets, fine, but don't attack others who ask reasonable questions about upgrades and antagonize them because of their "game."
after all this, being accused of hoarding secrets is the Orwellian up-is-down exit that I'm taking
Old Sep 12, 2022, 12:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
got upgraded to ocean view suite (back in 2014 when they opened <1yr) by their director of rooms (pretty sure it was because my girlfriend/now wife went to the same alma mater)
Old Sep 13, 2022, 5:42 pm

Additional data point for those interested: by the time we checked in later in the day the suites were no longer showing available. However, we were offered to move to an Ocean View Suite the last two days of our stay, which we declined - my wife didn’t want to deal with moving everything, but I appreciated the gesture.

I’m torn on the suite - it’s really big and the bathroom is nice, but truly no view at all (no surprise) and feels a little “cavernous” with the low ceilings and minimal decor. Next time if I came back with just my wife, I’d probably save my TSU and go with the smaller room, but overall we’re happy with it.

The rest of the property has been fantastic. It’s not crowded at all, service has been much better than expected after reading recent reviews, and there are tons of included activities which have all been fun. Breakfast is one of the best (buffets) I’ve had - maybe only second to the St Regis Bangkok. The poolside food and cocktails are better than expected, albeit very expensive. Get the tsunami fries!

Final note, the pool areas are super impressive and pictures don’t do them justice.
friedablass and Cometstar like this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 8:27 am

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by Cmag211
I’m torn on the suite - it’s really big and the bathroom is nice, but truly no view at all (no surprise) and feels a little “cavernous” with the low ceilings and minimal decor.
I'm not torn (knowing the property well and having stayed in all room types)... I'll never stay at the Andaz suites (they are basically "in the basement" and have zero view, not just no good resort view but actually no view of anything, and the worst one is a view of a wall and sewer drain. But a just regular room with ocean view is beautiful in trade-off of a larger space). JIMHO
Old Sep 14, 2022, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I'm not torn (knowing the property well and having stayed in all room types)... I'll never stay at the Andaz suites (they are basically "in the basement" and have zero view, not just no good resort view but actually no view of anything, and the worst one is a view of a wall and sewer drain. But a just regular room with ocean view is beautiful in trade-off of a larger space). JIMHO
It's simple for me. With kids, I want the suite with the close-off living room, extra space, extra half bath and generally shorter walk to amenities (ground floor) where I'll be spending all my time while on grounds. Just two adults, or maybe adults with very young kid(s) who need to spend time napping in the room, I'll take the view.
AllThePants likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 11:39 am

I am also onsite, using a friend's "Guest of Honor" points booking. We were upgraded to ocean view room on the 7th floor of the Makai wing. It is nice. Have been to the Andaz numerous times, but this is the first time we stayed in a room. I don't miss being in the suite, the view from the room is wonderful. The only suite that I would want would be the x39 / x40 suites in the Makai wing, as they have wonderful views - but I don't expect to ever get those suites without paying for them.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I do love a good view, but I spend so little time in the room during the day that I'll easily trade a view for space at this hotel.

When it's dark, and I'm in the room, I want the space.
computerguy likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by josephstern
When it's dark, and I'm in the room, I want the space.
If you get the Andaz suite closest to the elevator, it will always be dark, due to the view of the wall (and smell, due to the sewer) lol.

But, I do agree with you, I'm not even on property but for a few hours of the day.
Yet, I do watch sports on some of the weekend days (at like 7a or 8a so can't do the pool bar)... and then I might work on the balcony or at a desk a little before others wake up and like to see the sky sunrise colors.

#tradeoffs
Old Sep 14, 2022, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
If you get the Andaz suite closest to the elevator, it will always be dark, due to the view of the wall (and smell, due to the sewer) lol.

But, I do agree with you, I'm not even on property but for a few hours of the day.
Yet, I do watch sports on some of the weekend days (at like 7a or 8a so can't do the pool bar)... and then I might work on the balcony or at a desk a little before others wake up and like to see the sky sunrise colors.

#tradeoffs
I am not in the room during the day but I wake up a couple hours earlier than my wife. So I spend those couple hours on the balcony, on the computer, watching the sunrise.
Old Sep 15, 2022, 9:10 pm

First Humpback Whale of the season spotted off South Maui.

https://mauinow.com/2022/09/14/first...ff-south-maui/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.