Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kthpence
Gotcha - I'll have to confirm with my TA if she's booking us via Virtuoso or Prive, which I'm not entirely sure that matters as far as room to room vs suite to suite upgrades. Honestly we're quite happy with a true ocean view room, so we booked into that category and figured we may have a chance booking through our TA for the upgrade.
In that case - be careful what you wish for! If you have a strong preference for ocean view and if you do end up getting upgraded to a suite then it most likely will not have an ocean view.
kthpence likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by spgplat21
Marriott Wailea is a solid property and the rooms and pool are super close to the ocean, but I don't think it compares to the Andaz overall. The rooms aren't nearly as nice, the pools always felt a little small and crowded. I also didn't like the beach setup. Things may have changed, but back then there wasn't any chair service on the smaller quieter beach to the north of the property and the Marriott just had a small number of chairs on one corner of Wailea beach right next to the Grand Wailea chairs.

I don't require a ton of service, but in my limited experience I thought the Andaz and Marriott were both more than adequate making dinner reservations, confirming car service and golf pickups, etc. The Grand Wailea is one of my least favorite properties in the world, and I am still shocked people spend so much money to stay there. We only stayed 2 nights, but it was like Disneyland and a cruise ship company developed a luxury resort. It was too huge, too crowded and way too $$$. I have some good friends that absolutely love it, so YMMV, but I will not ever return.

Your chances of an upgrade to a suite are very low without offering to pay additional $$. I guess anything is possible, but I would have 0 expectations of an upgrade to a suite.

Yes, there are connecting rooms, but I can't remember what categories or how many. I inquired about connecting rooms on one of our first stays at the property, and I want to say they offered a paid upgrade to a premier suite with a connecting bedroom, but the upgrade charge was so high, we just kept the separate rooms.
Seems we have very similar tastes / opinion on GW and the Marriott - I actually quite like the Marriott, but found their pool and beach situation a bit of a headache and just stressful overall. Technically Marriott does have a beach setup on the north part of Wailea Beach, but it's a nightmare to get chairs setup IME. I've stayed there 3 times now, and only once have I gotten a chair at their adult pool - ridiculous for those price. I will never stay at the GW on a paid rate, and even now I'm hesitant to use our Hilton points to stay there as it's just not worth it.

Excited to try the Andaz as we've always wanted to stay, but just this year we are putting our spend towards Hyatt properties, so we'll actually be globalist after this stay.

While I know May in general is quieter in Maui than in summer months / winter months, but overall, from what I've seen during past visits, this property seems to not have many families staying here - would I be correct in that assessment? We are a young-ish couple (early 30s) and we're bringing our parents in their 60s and we'd prefer to have a quiet vacation / hotel (i.e. opposite of GW experience). I'm also curious if Hawaii continues to cap capacity to 50% at hotels even in May - I have a feeling they will, only because of their past history during COVID and not wanting to let up "too soon."8.6.1

Last edited by kthpence; Mar 3, 2021 at 10:51 am
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:16 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Gotcha - I'll have to confirm with my TA if she's booking us via Virtuoso or Prive, which I'm not entirely sure that matters as far as room to room vs suite to suite upgrades. Honestly we're quite happy with a true ocean view room, so we booked into that category and figured we may have a chance booking through our TA for the upgrade.
Virtuoso's 2021 offer is a spa credit vs Prive's resort credit (valid at the pool bar you like).... and if you give up the the idea of a suite upgrade a partial ocean -> ocean view upgrade at time of booking might be possible for your dates giving you a value of about 50$ a night per paid night. so on a stay 6 pay 7 over 2 rooms is about 700$ of value. I think that is your best strategy to explore
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:25 am

Delete

Last edited by kthpence; Mar 3, 2021 at 11:31 pm
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:48 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
We actually have a special rate that books into Ocean View, and partial ocean view isn't an option. Also, I see a "resort credit" on Virtuoso's website...
Interesting.... it says something different under our "promotions" section for the stay 6 pay 5 offer. Probably a typo on my side
Never heard of a Virtuoso rate not being valid on a specific room type at Andaz. I see Partial ocean view rooms open for sale for the whole month of May
Just make sure you aren't being directed to a wholesale channel if Hyatt points and status is important to you.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:06 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
While I know May in general is quieter in Maui than in summer months / winter months, but overall, from what I've seen during past visits, this property seems to not have many families staying here - would I be correct in that assessment? We are a young-ish couple (early 30s) and we're bringing our parents in their 60s and we'd prefer to have a quiet vacation / hotel (i.e. opposite of GW experience). I'm also curious if Hawaii continues to cap capacity to 50% at hotels even in May - I have a feeling they will, only because of their past history during COVID and not wanting to let up "too soon."8.6.1
In May you probably won't have as many families as during the summer unless you're going over memorial day. During our summer stay there were certainly a lot fewer families than what we saw at the GH Kauai, but there were still a decent number of families. I think that's just Hawaii in the summer in general though, so after factoring that in, the Andaz does seem to cater more to couples. The only issue we ever had regarding noise at the Andaz was a corporate group during one of our stays. They were pretty loud during a couple midday events so we spent one day down by the beach to avoid the noise over by the pool. It wasn't too crazy, but just not what we were looking for as far as a relaxing day by the pool. I'd bet there are still some capacity controls at that time, but you never know.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:14 pm

While I know May in general is quieter in Maui than in summer months / winter months, but overall, from what I've seen during past visits, this property seems to not have many families staying here - would I be correct in that assessment? We are a young-ish couple (early 30s) and we're bringing our parents in their 60s and we'd prefer to have a quiet vacation / hotel (i.e. opposite of GW experience).
This is pre-covid observation, but i would not use the word "quiet" to describe the Andaz. I found the Andaz to have a limited number of kids (relatively...it is certainly not zero) which led to less screaming. And it is smaller so you don't get the feeling of overcrowding in the common areas. However, while it's not quite like a W, there's definitely a vibe going...which i've always found to be on-brand for the Andaz...and something that we sought out when we were in out early-30s. But "quiet" is a bit off the mark in my experience.
kthpence likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:42 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by boolean64
This is pre-covid observation, but i would not use the word "quiet" to describe the Andaz. I found the Andaz to have a limited number of kids (relatively...it is certainly not zero) which led to less screaming. And it is smaller so you don't get the feeling of overcrowding in the common areas. However, while it's not quite like a W, there's definitely a vibe going...which i've always found to be on-brand for the Andaz...and something that we sought out when we were in out early-30s. But "quiet" is a bit off the mark in my experience.
While Andaz might have limited number of kids, no matter the month there is a lot of kids in the lower "kids pool" area (where my young daughter loves to go, and she's been there nearly every year of her life).
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:35 pm

So we did some math, and figured out how to get to globalist status by our stay (big tax bill coming our way) - with that, when booking into a King Ocean View, what suite would a Globalist be booked into? Also, when booking 2 rooms, will both rooms get globalist perks (waived resort fee, breakfast, etc.) ?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 7:46 am

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
So we did some math, and figured out how to get to globalist status by our stay (big tax bill coming our way) - with that, when booking into a King Ocean View, what suite would a Globalist be booked into? Also, when booking 2 rooms, will both rooms get globalist perks (waived resort fee, breakfast, etc.) ?
For the suite upgrade, the Andaz Suite has to be available and there aren't very many so it can be difficult to use a suite upgrade at this property. If you are able to use a suite upgrade for those nights you can book the cheapest room instead of spending the extra money on the ocean view room since the upgrade is the same either way. Also note that the Andaz Suites are first floor suites with almost no view if a view is important to you.

Officially, unless you are using your points to make a Guest of Honor booking for the second room you only get the Globalist benefits for one room. That said, most properties have extended benefits to multiple rooms for me in the past. The Andaz did as well, but the last time we had multiple rooms there was several years ago, so things could have changed.
kthpence likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 10:18 am

For the suite upgrade, the Andaz Suite has to be available and there aren't very many so it can be difficult to use a suite upgrade at this property. If you are able to use a suite upgrade for those nights you can book the cheapest room instead of spending the extra money on the ocean view room since the upgrade is the same either way. Also note that the Andaz Suites are first floor suites with almost no view if a view is important to you.

Officially, unless you are using your points to make a Guest of Honor booking for the second room you only get the Globalist benefits for one room. That said, most properties have extended benefits to multiple rooms for me in the past. The Andaz did as well, but the last time we had multiple rooms there was several years ago, so things could have changed.
Unfortunately we don't have any suite upgrade awards, so we are just hoping for an upgrade upon check-in, hence we booked the highest category room that we'd be happy in regardless, but are hoping for an upgrade upon check-in due to globalist status
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unfortunately we don't have any suite upgrade awards, so we are just hoping for an upgrade upon check-in, hence we booked the highest category room that we'd be happy in regardless, but are hoping for an upgrade upon check-in due to globalist status
As others here have said, those are pretty rare at the Andaz Maui.

Can you even still purchase a suite for your dates?
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
As others here have said, those are pretty rare at the Andaz Maui.

Can you even still purchase a suite for your dates?
Gotcha. Yes, can still purchase a suite, but to get ocean view suite is another $300/night, and we just don't want to shell that out (we prefer an ocean view to a partial view suite or a suite with no view). Honestly either way we'll be happy, just thought I'd inquire. If Maui / Hawaii is still keeping hotels at 50% capacity in May, maybe we'd have a shot at the suite.

I was also curious if booking into an ocean view room (i.e. not the base category) would help the chances for an upgrade as a globalist vs booking a base room or booking on points. It sounds like a lot of globalists aren't upgraded when they book on points, but I don't have a ton of DPs on upgrades when Globalists book the highest room category available, in this case the king ocean view.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My point wasn't that you should buy the suite - it was that if no suites were available for purchase (as is the case with the dates for my next stay) then you could be pretty sure that you wouldn't get a complimentary one.

But I would guess (totally a guess) that yes, paying for a higher room category would give you a better shot at a suite over a customer with a less-expensive room category, all things being equal. Other variables would be what time you check in (pretty random) and how you ask at check-in, assuming you aren't already upgraded at that point.
kthpence likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2021, 10:58 am

Do you think it would be worth it in advance to reach out to the property to inquire about breakfast being extended to the second room, or should we just wait until check-in and see what happens?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.