Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2022, 10:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jananth1
Went with one other person a couple weeks ago. Server mentioned globalist get either three breakfasts or two + free drinks. Obviously since there were two of us we opted for the drinks.
For 2 people at Kaana Kitchen we normally tip over the included 18% gratuity. Usually $10 if it’s a server we know like Elijah or Nick who have been there for years, and all but $1 and some change gets taken off the bill. So there is a number hard coded into the system for Glob breakfast.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 7:23 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Good first impression. Was given an ocean view king room with a good view below. One question - how firm is the 2 PM explorist late checkout “guarantee”? Front desk said they could only give me noon.

Daitheflu84 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2023, 8:00 pm

Originally Posted by Adelphos
Good first impression. Was given an ocean view king room with a good view below. One question - how firm is the 2 PM explorist late checkout “guarantee”? Front desk said they could only give me noon.
Late checkout guarantee does not apply to resorts. For resorts, it's based on availability and their discretion.
Adelphos and Illinwu like this.
Old Jan 3, 2023, 6:38 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
In hindsight it was an obvious choice to choose this over the AC for two nights. We got what I believe to be a very good upgrade to an Ocean View King room, just as an Explorist. Balcony with full view of the pool complex and the ocean. The sunsets from the balcony are excellent. In addition, we appreciated the welcome gift of a bottle of sparkling rose - not sure if this is a standard Hyatt Explorist welcome gift or not, but we will take advantage of it over sunset tonight

Highlights so far:

1) Four tiered normal pool complex is pretty cool
2) Adult pool is also nice option - contrary to all of the reviews I have red, it seems like a popular option, with about 20 guests out here right now
3) beach setup was great and much more intuitive than the Ritz Carlton Kapalua - we simply walked to the beach, and attendants set up chairs and towels for us. We spent most of the morning and afternoon there today, swimming and scoping out whales
4) Food is pretty good - I do think Ritz has slightly bette options in their main kitchens. We are going to Morimoto for lunch tomorrow

Only issue so far is our room wasn’t cleaned today, and service isn’t as “high touch” as Ritz Carlton. Also, the standard bathroom set up is odd. I found my standard king room at the Ritz a better room.

Overall this seems to be one of the hotels you earn and collect Hyatt points and status for, and it is well worth it. I think it slightly edges Ritz Kapalua (which I guess is Marriott’s top Hawaii property?) in terms of style, but obviously very different properties in terms of location and appeal. I would return to both.

Last edited by Adelphos; Jan 4, 2023 at 11:01 am
Old Jan 4, 2023, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Resort Ho
Villa is better than the resort itself

We're here now for another few days in one of the villas. Villa itself is amazing, way better than the rest of the resort.

A couple of notes

1. Breakfast is better than I expected based on the recent reviews. Staff is mostly friendly and food is good although it is very crowded. They should honestly offer in room dining for villa guests. It sat very wrong with me to pay upwards of $6k/night to have to wait 30+ min for breakfast the next day

2. Beach is wonderful but the attendands are useless. They spend most of their time playing around with each other instead of helping. Asked one of them for sunscreen because I forgot mine in the room and was told 'NO" while another guest told me I could have gotten it at the pool. At a ritz or four seasons the attendand would have run and gotten it for me.

3. Luau looks amaszing, can't wait to do it in a few days

4. Morimoto was good despite recent reviews. Sushi and apps were amazing, entrees less so. Had the pork chop which was almost all fat. My wif'e Wagu steak was charred on the outside and was very bland. wait staff and management was above par for the island.
friedablass likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 11:32 am

Originally Posted by salukimike
2. Beach is wonderful but the attendands are useless. They spend most of their time playing around with each other instead of helping. Asked one of them for sunscreen because I forgot mine in the room and was told 'NO" while another guest told me I could have gotten it at the pool. At a ritz or four seasons the attendand would have run and gotten it for me.
1) Ritz Carlton Kapalua attendants probably wouldn’t grab you sunscreen either based on what we saw
2) While Andaz is expensive, Four Seasons is generally about twice the price per room night. Andaz isn’t Park Hyatt - so those “high touch” elements I talked about earlier aren’t there. Room service is limited, and served in paper containers / plastic cutlery, for example. As opposed to Ritz, and I’m sure Four Seasons, that serve room service on the cart. I would say services offered are generally appropriate for the brand and competitive positioning in Wailea, if not the price point.
3) I agree with the commentary on Ka’ana Kichen - both breakfast and dinner have been very good. I do Morimoto for lunch before I leave later today
Old Jan 4, 2023, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

We're here now for another few days in one of the villas. Villa itself is amazing, way better than the rest of the resort.

A couple of notes

1. Breakfast is better than I expected based on the recent reviews. Staff is mostly friendly and food is good although it is very crowded. They should honestly offer in room dining for villa guests. It sat very wrong with me to pay upwards of $6k/night to have to wait 30+ min for breakfast the next day

4. Morimoto was good despite recent reviews. Sushi and apps were amazing, entrees less so. Had the pork chop which was almost all fat. My wif'e Wagu steak was charred on the outside and was very bland. wait staff and management was above par for the island.
I often wonder what it's like to spend that kind of money on a hotel where typical rooms go for much less. You're confirming my guess that you feel like you should be getting more and better service, but the problem is that the typical guest isn't paying for more and better service, and the hotel doesn't make any distinction between guests generally (as it would be potentially very problematic otherwise).
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
I often wonder what it's like to spend that kind of money on a hotel where typical rooms go for much less. You're confirming my guess that you feel like you should be getting more and better service, but the problem is that the typical guest isn't paying for more and better service, and the hotel doesn't make any distinction between guests generally (as it would be potentially very problematic otherwise).
right. Is he saying because he paid $6k for a villa that he should be walking around the property with a big VIP sign for all the employees to see? Meanwhile, everyone in a non villa is just a regular guest?
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Seagull689
right. Is he saying because he paid $6k for a villa that he should be walking around the property with a big VIP sign for all the employees to see? Meanwhile, everyone in a non villa is just a regular guest?
I imagine luxury hotels with big suites, presidential suites, etc often have rooms that charge $3,000, $4,000, $5,000 a night. In most of those cases, a GM or some other hotel employee would be taking extra care of the guest, who would likely be some kind of VIP. But in this case, in the villas, you are just paying for a much larger room configuration.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I really don't think he's saying he should get better service than anyone else.

I'm the one who's making the distinction, and it's about getting what you think you deserve based on what you paid.
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:29 pm

Inspriato Pass gets a villa here for ~$1200/n all-on (if you're really flexible)
Old Jan 4, 2023, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Colin
Inspriato Pass gets a villa here for ~$1200/n all-on (if you're really flexible)
And if you pay $2550/month? All new to me
Old Jan 4, 2023, 2:36 pm

And if you pay $2550/month? All new to me
roughly speaking, a 3 night villa next month is currently available via Inspirato Pass that costs about 1.4 months ($2550 x 1.4 = $3570 / 3 = $1190/n). that's the all-in price, including parking, breakfast, resort fee, & all taxes.

(downside is planning only 4-6 weeks out means means about $1000/pp more in business class air from west coast vs. planning 10 months out.)
Old Jan 4, 2023, 3:43 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

A couple of notes

@ 6 k a night I want my own chef cooked breakfast no line
Sounds like you would have been far better off @ Ruth Chris
Old Jan 4, 2023, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Resort Ho
Kind of... and most other properties do it without asking. Here the valet and front desk are the only ones that recognize it.

No different that an airline treating first class passengers differently, or really any business giving preferential treatment to their best customers.

We do actually have a VIP concierge, but I have to say their abilities, effort and performance compared to other resorts is honestly terrible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.