Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Maui REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Spent the first week of Feb at the Andaz before moving on to Honolulu. Played and won a few drinks during the bingo event they hold at the main pool at noon every day. They have fire dancers around the property and good live music nightly at 6pm just below the lobby. You can also watch the whole luau for free just from the bottom pool or Morimoto's. Saw a lot of turtles and mantas swimming right in front of the property. Also was able to see humpback whales a couple of mornings also right in front of the hotel. Didn't think the snorkeling was incredible, but we didn't go out after the shark attack halfway through our stay. Tristan the Andaz beach crew paddle boat guide protected the group but people were pretty shaken up. The tiger shark was pretty big (well over 6 feet long) and bit one of the other guest's board. We switched to waterfall hikes around Hana for the rest of the week. The ahi poke deconstructed roll they serve is one of my favorite dishes, and the nearby market at wailea shops had some other good food options. The free 2 glasses of champagne they give to globalists can be used for really any drink on the menu. Enjoyed their pina colada instead.
I highly recommend a whale watching boat tour if you are in Maui this time of year. Seeing the whales from the beach or hotel balcony is great but seeing them close up is something else entirely.

You can do them for as little as $40/pp for adults ($50 after taxes and fees) for a 2 hour trip with Pacific Whale Foundation. Conveniently they have tours from Lahaina and Wailea, so there is a harbor close to both Hyatts.

I've done them 2 years in a row now.

The shark thing sounds scary; it's good to hear that no one was hurt.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 2:41 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
There's a Diamond benefit of two free drinks? I've never heard about (nor been offered) that one.

There was a tiger at Mokapu two years ago, but no biting... but that whole coast has tigers (and given that there's like dozens of thousands of swimmers each day and like only one bite a year, well that puts the odds at about one in 9 million, 25k x 365... so if one really thinks that one has any chance of getting bit by a tiger or any other shark, well, slipping in the bath tub shower is one in three million... crossing the street is even more dangerous).
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Think there were 2 deaths there from tiger sharks within the last 5 years. One right off the andaz house reef.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Think there were 2 deaths there from tiger sharks within the last 5 years. One right off the andaz house reef.
There were like four deaths in all of Maui in past four years, so about one per year.

The guy at Old Airport Beach from last Fall.
The German tourist near White Rocks.
The kayaking fishing guy dangling his foot in the water near Red Hill.
There was one other, not near Mokapu.

There is a website that documents these and all, but I forget it.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's this site - I'm finding it pretty interesting:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/sharks/shark...ncidents-list/

I've also never heard of the two free drinks deal for Globalists, but I usually get a (cheap) bottle of sparkling wine left in the room. Frankly, I seldom open it.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by josephstern
There's this site - I'm finding it pretty interesting:

https://dlnr.hawaii.gov/sharks/shark...ncidents-list/

I've also never heard of the two free drinks deal for Globalists, but I usually get a (cheap) bottle of sparkling wine left in the room. Frankly, I seldom open it.
That just might be the site I was thinking of... DAR rings a bell. Yes, a very interesting site.
Old Feb 19, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by canyonleo
There's a Diamond benefit of two free drinks? I've never heard about (nor been offered) that one.
Received a coupon last 3 visits so it's definitely a thing now if it wasn't before. Says good for 2 glasses of champagne at either the Lehua Lounge or Ka’ana Kitchen. Recognition has been consistent: a bottle of champagne to the room, a few chocolates, and the drink coupon.

Originally Posted by sam_goh
Here's a link to the report of this incident.
https://ftw.usatoday.com/2020/02/mau...arnings-issued

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I highly recommend a whale watching boat tour if you are in Maui this time of year. Seeing the whales from the beach or hotel balcony is great but seeing them close up is something else entirely.
We were able to get up close along with a few other group of kayakers and one whale tour. We also were able to see them from the plane when we arrived. The pilot notified everyone and there were lots of oohs and aahs heard in the cabin. Wish I had brought my phone for a video. Found out they do have life vests that are purple and have a zippered pocket on the left side which would fit an iPhone 11 max - just wasn't comfortable keeping a phone in my trunks. I will be prepared for next time.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2020, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
I just wanted to clarify for people because I misunderstood during my visit. Use of the equipment, such as the kayak or SUP, outside of the scheduled tour, is charged at $50/hr and is not included in the resort fee.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 1:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Giraffe
Hi All - looks like it's not meant to be for a trip here for Spring Break next month. I have 2 3 day reservations for a 2 queen room March 23 - 29. If anyone's interested and wants to do a points transfer for the 30K a night, I can GoH it to you (if you follow this thread you'll note the challenge in getting a points reservation). I will need to cancel in next 5-6 days so feel free to PM me.
Old Feb 24, 2020, 8:48 pm

“Booking through chase and transferring to hyatt”

Originally Posted by MikeW_ORD
Depending on when you are staying, make sure to double check the rate to see if it is worth it to book through Chase UR or Hyatt. For my dates, the award space was tricky through Hyatt and on top of that the points were better value when booking direct through Chase than transferring to Hyatt.
can you clarify this last sentence. I am globalist and I have always thought that if I booked through chase I couldn’t transfer it to my hyatt account. Thanks in advance
Old Mar 6, 2020, 11:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Any recent updates on construction noise/impacts? I will likely be in the entry level Andaz suite facing the villas (like Southdown13's post up thread).
Old Mar 6, 2020, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Nicole Cook
can you clarify this last sentence. I am globalist and I have always thought that if I booked through chase I couldn’t transfer it to my hyatt account. Thanks in advance
For someone without status, getting 1.5 cpp through Chase could be a better deal than by transferring points to hyatt and booking on Hyatt points.
30K points is worth $450 through the Chase portal. So as long as the nightly rate is <$375 or so, you'll save a little money by booking with UR through the portal than transferring to Hyatt (taxes & fees + resort fee is probably around $75/nt).

Now, that completely negates the fact that with Globalist you get parking (~$50?), breakfast for 2 adults + kids (~$100?) a night credit and a very good chance of room upgrades. For me personally, I would never book a Hyatt through Chase UR. Either pay cash or Hyatt points.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:25 pm

I'm looking to stay for 8 consecutive nights. The website shows award availability in two 4 day chunks for the the stay, but I can't book the entire 8 consecutive nights with points. Is it as easy as booking the two chunks and just contacting the hotel to see if we can keep one room? I'm trying to avoid a check out and check in of the same hotel while we are staying there.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by honknwave
I'm looking to stay for 8 consecutive nights. The website shows award availability in two 4 day chunks for the the stay, but I can't book the entire 8 consecutive nights with points. Is it as easy as booking the two chunks and just contacting the hotel to see if we can keep one room? I'm trying to avoid a check out and check in of the same hotel while we are staying there.
Yes.
But, better to just call your Diamond Line rep (if you are Diamond) and have them "merge" the two so you don't even need to consider that a move mid-reservation is possible.
Old Mar 11, 2020, 5:42 pm
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Yes.
But, better to just call your Diamond Line rep (if you are Diamond) and have them "merge" the two so you don't even need to consider that a move mid-reservation is possible.
This is extremely common. Any Hyatt agent can link the reservations together. It's advisable to let the front desk agent know you have the multiple reservations when you check in, but that's primarily for your piece of mind.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.