Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2013, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by challett
It's actually 2500 bonus points per NIGHT!!

http://losangelesdowntown.hyatt.com/...sBookable=true
Even better! ^
Old Jan 29, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
I called GP yesterday to try to add a points-based night. They said it will be a 15,000 point/night property, but they are not yet on the GP system, so we are unable to make any sort of award booking at this time (I also tried the credit card free night)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by challett
It's actually 2500 bonus points per NIGHT!!

http://losangelesdowntown.hyatt.com/...sBookable=true
Thanks! I was able to add this to my corp rate booking - certainly offsets the difference between this property and the LAX I was considering
Old Jan 31, 2013, 2:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold,IHG Plat Amb, CC Gold, Kimpton IC, United, AA, BA, Amtrak G.R.
On LAtimes website today:

http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals/...,2220323.story
Old Feb 1, 2013, 2:06 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
The odd thing is that the photo of the renovated room really screams "remodeled or new build" "Marriott" or "JW Marriott" to me rather than Hyatt. MR is really fond of the yellow and red tones in their rooms.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:45 pm

Anyone have any ideas about the suites available here?

I'm doing the LA marathon with a friend, and I have unused suite upgrades. I'm staying two nights, he's arriving the second night, the race starts at the stadium nearby

So, at this point, I have a regular two bed room , I wouldn't want to put one of us on a roll-away if the only suite options are single kings
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:58 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I hear great things about the hotel as far as service standards on social media
Unfortunately until the renovation is complete I hear comments like old and really old/ tired with regard to room standard/condition
I look forward to this property when its ready for prime time but wouldn't personally want to stay in a tired room at any price.
It's sad that in order to have a good g type bonus or promotion a hotel accommodation has to be virtually undesirable to get a good promotion offering from Gold Passport
To those that newness doesn't matter perhaps a good opportunity
Old Feb 24, 2013, 6:56 pm
QBK

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Report: I just spent one night at the LA Hotel Downtown -- barely. Didn't get in until almost 2am, and left about 10:15 for LAX. But I think I got a pretty good impression of the property while I was there.

I got what appeared to be a standard room (i.e., not a suite of any kind) on the 11th floor. The Concierge Lounge (presumably this will get rebranded as a Regency Club) is on the 11th floor, but it was clearly closed for renovations. The rest of the 11th floor seems to have been just renovated, including my room, which seemed shiny new.

The room was reasonably sized and well decorated, with a very comfortable king bed and a full-wall window over the city. Decor is very good -- generally above the HR standard, and comparable to the PH Toronto, which I've heard is more on par with a Grand Hyatt than the rest of the PH chain. Furnishings (furniture, bathroom, etc.) are typical for a HR, though. The picture at <http://www.thelahotel.com/guestrooms.shtml> is pretty accurate.

Amenities are Bath and Bodyworks (Rainkissed Leaves, I think), which is a bit down-market (but probably temporary, and not a big deal for me).

Lobby is very big (feels like an acre or two), pleasant and well decorated.

Service was very good. The breakfast is solid -- Diamonds currently get free buffet for up to 4 guests (regardless of how many are staying in the room), and it includes made-to-order omelets. Mine was excellent, as was the attentiveness and sincerity of the waitstaff. The espresso is pretty meh, though.

At checkout, I mentioned the closed lounge, and asked about the 2500 points. A manager came out and very cordially explained that they weren't fully aligned with the HR standards yet (and wouldn't be until the renovation is complete and the branding changes around May), and their policies didn't include closed-lounge compensation -- but she would add the points anyway as a courtesy.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, and it appears that this will be an excellent HR once the brand changes.

BTW, I think most or all of the suites are currently under renovation.

Last edited by QBK; Feb 24, 2013 at 6:57 pm Reason: Added comment.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM ELITE, HYATT LIFETIME GLOBALIST, UAL SILVER, AA EXECUTIVE PLATINUM
I just got the 2500 point club closure bonus added for 2 past stays.

Most recently I received 6700+ points for a $115 stay.
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Vinodavid
I just got the 2500 point club closure bonus added for 2 past stays.

Most recently I received 6700+ points for a $115 stay.
How did you get the $115 price? My corporate rate is good, but $130
Old Feb 25, 2013, 4:41 pm
QBK

Hmm, in light of Vinodavid's good fortune, I feel the need to update my post from yesterday.

My stay posted today with 25 base points (??????), and no bonuses except the Diamond bonus (7 points) and amenity (1000).

So I called. Confusion ensued. They pretty rapidly fixed the base points (apparently it originally posted, incorrectly, as an ineligible stay) and the LA2500 bonus.

However, the phone agent also said that the hotel is exempt from the 2500 point bonus for Regency Club closure, because they're not officially a HR yet. I said I understood that, but that the manager had personally said they'd extend it as a courtesy... and after failing to get the manager on the line, the agent said that GP would go ahead and honor the bonus. And, indeed, all points posted within 15 minutes.

(Note: I was very polite and non-DYKWIA throughout -- this is above and beyond on their part, not placating an obstreperous customer!)

Anyway, based on my data points, I'd advise not expecting the closed-club bonus, since it seems pretty clear that the LA Hotel Downtown is exempt. Obviously, you can push for it, but it's arguably a helipad for your giraffe...
Old Mar 7, 2013, 7:31 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Stayed at the LA Hotel one night last week-Some good, some improvements, and a disappointment. First, the good:

1. Excellent service for breakfast in the restaurant and valet is very fast
2. Good location for downtown; walk to some restaurants and bars--good food court about 2 blocks away in the Underground area.
3. Lobby was very dated. They were renovating the ballroom/2nd floor meeting area when I was there. Very quiet, even during the day.
4. My room was on the 11th floor, where it seems Diamonds are placed. After reading about the renovation, I was actually very disappointed with the condition of my room. Bathroom was somewhat beat up, and the room, while clean and generally newer, did not appear to be recently renovated, which was strange. Hallway is very renovated, but my room seemed dated still.
5. Bathroom has small shower and a tub--not many towels, and one of the stranger shaped baths I've seen. Generally it worked.
6. My room faced the 101--a little loud throughout the evening and day.

I'll come back-it's as good a place as any downtown hotel (except the JW which is amazing IMHO).
Old Mar 7, 2013, 9:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt, UA
Staying here in May, visiting daughter at USC only staying one night dont really want to use a suite upgrade , do they put Diamonds in an OK room, staying on a Fri night when RC will be closed anyway according to schedule so will we get a buffet breakfast? How much is parking?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 4:58 am
QBK

Originally Posted by rntraveller
Staying here in May, visiting daughter at USC only staying one night dont really want to use a suite upgrade , do they put Diamonds in an OK room, staying on a Fri night when RC will be closed anyway according to schedule so will we get a buffet breakfast? How much is parking?
My room (as a Diamond) was nice.

Yes, you get a good buffet breakfast plus made-to-order omelets.

Parking is valet for $35/night.
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:40 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Staying here tonight on the special 2,500 HGP bonus ratehttp://losangelesdowntown.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-losangelesdowntown/offers/details.jsp?offerId=49539468&isBookable=true Property was pretty cheap this weekend because of the Easter holiday but is a little overpriced normally IMO.

Lobby has not been touched since it was a Marriott-it is a nice big lobby but could use some work.
Check in was okay. This hotel is a tomb this weekend but still only upgraded to the "club"floor and nothing better.This is exactly what I would get when it was a Marriott so nothing has changed in that area.
Room has been partially/mostly renovated. They kept the Marriott carpet and some of the soft goods and the bed/bedding, the case goods are brand new. Bathroom is newly renovated, Bathtub/shower combo has been replaced by a large shower only unit. They could have put in a rain forest head/ hand held wand combination like the new Westins have as there is plenty of space, I like that the kept the old Travertine tiles.
Vanity unit is new and nice. New Toilet. The room foyer has been redecorated and looks very nice- this is a good thing since the carpet in the hallways(new) and the old Marriott carpet in the rooms would have clashed terribly,the tile floor in the foyer softens the contrast.

Best to request a "city view" room as half of the rooms face the busy 110 freeway. You will still hear traffic noise but it is not too bad.

Diamond breakfast(lounge is still closed) was handled by a coupon for two plated breakfasts. Tax and tip are included and the maximum spend is an odd $51.78. Breakfast room is pleasant and the servers very nice. Food was good.Juice and coffee were ok.

Some very good things: 1) lots of power outlets throughout the room. 2)LOTS of storage. 3) Lots of lighting fixtures throughout the room.New RFID locks on the doors.

Some things that could have been done better; 1) the windows were not touched- they should have been converted to double pane units-mine were all scratched up. 2) Service really needs to be stepped up. This is a dog of a location and the owners need to make guests want to stay in their hotel. Lobby is nice, but huge and does not seem at all inviting when there are no gusts to fill the vast space. Some minor redecoration could break up the space into more inviting intimate spaces.

The immediate area does not offer a lot of options for dining.The hotel restaurant looks very dreary and had two tables(both in the open bar area)set up for dinner service, You have the Border Grill nearby,and some fancy fast food options during the mid week,but on weekends you will have to walk a few blocks to find anything interesting. If you walk a few blocks you do have some very good restaurants(Drago, Chaya, Pinot)as well as McCormick and Schmick, Daily Grill etc... I don't have a problem walking in this area at night but it does get a little deserted on weekends.

There is cheap($8-no in and out) overnight parking across the street in the World Trade Center complex. for those that do not want to pay $35 for the Valet parking. Street parking is a rare thing and during the week meters start early.

So all and all they are slowly transforming into a Hyatt Regency and I look forward to returning when the transformation is complete.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Mar 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.