FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14
Old Mar 30, 2013, 6:40 pm
bigguyinpasadena

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
Staying here tonight on the special 2,500 HGP bonus ratehttp://losangelesdowntown.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels-losangelesdowntown/offers/details.jsp?offerId=49539468&isBookable=true Property was pretty cheap this weekend because of the Easter holiday but is a little overpriced normally IMO.

Lobby has not been touched since it was a Marriott-it is a nice big lobby but could use some work.
Check in was okay. This hotel is a tomb this weekend but still only upgraded to the "club"floor and nothing better.This is exactly what I would get when it was a Marriott so nothing has changed in that area.
Room has been partially/mostly renovated. They kept the Marriott carpet and some of the soft goods and the bed/bedding, the case goods are brand new. Bathroom is newly renovated, Bathtub/shower combo has been replaced by a large shower only unit. They could have put in a rain forest head/ hand held wand combination like the new Westins have as there is plenty of space, I like that the kept the old Travertine tiles.
Vanity unit is new and nice. New Toilet. The room foyer has been redecorated and looks very nice- this is a good thing since the carpet in the hallways(new) and the old Marriott carpet in the rooms would have clashed terribly,the tile floor in the foyer softens the contrast.

Best to request a "city view" room as half of the rooms face the busy 110 freeway. You will still hear traffic noise but it is not too bad.

Diamond breakfast(lounge is still closed) was handled by a coupon for two plated breakfasts. Tax and tip are included and the maximum spend is an odd $51.78. Breakfast room is pleasant and the servers very nice. Food was good.Juice and coffee were ok.

Some very good things: 1) lots of power outlets throughout the room. 2)LOTS of storage. 3) Lots of lighting fixtures throughout the room.New RFID locks on the doors.

Some things that could have been done better; 1) the windows were not touched- they should have been converted to double pane units-mine were all scratched up. 2) Service really needs to be stepped up. This is a dog of a location and the owners need to make guests want to stay in their hotel. Lobby is nice, but huge and does not seem at all inviting when there are no gusts to fill the vast space. Some minor redecoration could break up the space into more inviting intimate spaces.

The immediate area does not offer a lot of options for dining.The hotel restaurant looks very dreary and had two tables(both in the open bar area)set up for dinner service, You have the Border Grill nearby,and some fancy fast food options during the mid week,but on weekends you will have to walk a few blocks to find anything interesting. If you walk a few blocks you do have some very good restaurants(Drago, Chaya, Pinot)as well as McCormick and Schmick, Daily Grill etc... I don't have a problem walking in this area at night but it does get a little deserted on weekends.

There is cheap($8-no in and out) overnight parking across the street in the World Trade Center complex. for those that do not want to pay $35 for the Valet parking. Street parking is a rare thing and during the week meters start early.

So all and all they are slowly transforming into a Hyatt Regency and I look forward to returning when the transformation is complete.

Last edited by bigguyinpasadena; Mar 31, 2013 at 12:13 pm