Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:40 am
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by overshare
Currently at the hotel on my second stay in a month or so. No complaints about the hotel overall, and will be eager to see it when renovations are complete. The rooms and lobby are complete and nice IMHO. Question to the FT community: the description of rooms on the web site does include "Regency Club", and there is a door labeled "Regency Club" that I don't believe is ever open. Would that constitute a closed RC for purposes of a 2500 GP points? It hasn't thus far, but perhaps I'm being greedy.
Are they still using the RC as the temporary restaurant? I was there the end of December and the restaurant downstairs was relocated to the RC.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 4:51 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
I called the conceirge a couple of weeks ago about the club being closed while I was there and received 2500 points (still waiting on my LA2500 points however).

Currently at the hotel on my second stay in a month or so. No complaints about the hotel overall, and will be eager to see it when renovations are complete. The rooms and lobby are complete and nice IMHO. Question to the FT community: the description of rooms on the web site does include "Regency Club", and there is a door labeled "Regency Club" that I don't believe is ever open. Would that constitute a closed RC for purposes of a 2500 GP points? It hasn't thus far, but perhaps I'm being greedy.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 5:46 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
I called the conceirge a couple of weeks ago about the club being closed while I was there and received 2500 points (still waiting on my LA2500 points however).
You should try sending a message through Twitter to the Hyatt Concierge. THEY ARE FAST in responding. I had my LA2500 credited right away.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 6:04 am
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Stayed here recently. Big disappointment. The room smelled very old and musty. Room was not the cleanest. Elevators were very slow and dirty (certificate in one expired a year ago and the glass covering it was shattered and still in place. The restaurant serving breakfast looked like the Newark Airport Marriott from 1983. Tired buffet.
Honestly, the only thing that looked new was the lobby. There are so many better choices in L.A.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Does anyone have the exact verbiage of the LA2500 promo? I have it printed at home, but I am traveling this and next week. I am back to fighting with Hyatt saying the promo ended when I stayed the 28th Dec - 5 January and they will not grant the 2500/night promo for the 2013 nights. Ridiculous. I hate being in these situations where they barely bother to read the email and you end up defending/fighting over points -- havent been in this spot in awhile and never with Hyatt.
Old Apr 9, 2014, 7:26 pm

anyone stay here recently? How is the reno progressing? Planning a trip in Mid May and debating between here or the Andaz WeHo, with the latter being about $100/nt more. I prefer the location of the latter, but would consider staying here given the price difference.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Originally Posted by mrja08
anyone stay here recently? How is the reno progressing? Planning a trip in Mid May and debating between here or the Andaz WeHo, with the latter being about $100/nt more. I prefer the location of the latter, but would consider staying here given the price difference.
I stayed at both a month ago

The Andaz is worth the $100/nt difference

The new LA downtown lobby looks nice, but you're not going to be spending time there

The rooms are fine, functional ...

Parking is expensive at both places, but downtown has some parking alternatives within a few blocks if you need to park for multiple days
Old Apr 11, 2014, 11:19 am

Programs: CX DM, BA G4L, QR PLT, EK PLT, Hyatt CourtesyC, HH DM, SQ PPS, BonvoyTit, UK, VS, UA, DL, AA
No comparison between the Andaz WeHo and this place... I used it for a few nights because of location in January and would never go back.... felt like I was in an ancient marriott with some new pieces of contemporary furniture added and the service was also very average... Andaz WeHo is much much better as is the Hyatt Century Plaza
Old Apr 11, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Stayed here on a two-night trip for work about a month ago.

Got a king room on the 9th floor and felt a bit like I had the place to myself -- valets weren't busy, lobby was super quiet, elevators were empty (and still old and dirty), the folks I visited for work didn't know the place was open...

I feel like the hotel knows that it's not ready for prime time, and isn't marketing itself as much as it could. So it's pretty empty from what I can tell.

There's also the location factor -- I jumped at the chance to stay at a Hyatt downtown, but the location is far from LA Live, a good hike from 7th Street / Metro Center, and really out of the way from "suddenly cool" downtown LA further east. The Sheraton is much more convenient for my business... of course, it's abysmal.

The comments comparing this place with the Andaz West Hollywood are weird. Unless you're on a week-long, explore everywhere in SoCal kind of trip, I'm not sure how anyone would be choosing between these two properties. It's easily 30 minutes between the two -- at 4am. 45 to an hour at rush hour. They serve totally different markets and completely separate geographies within the region.

A few more points & observations:
- Rooms were good. Nothing earth shattering. Nice view of the sun rising over LA from my window.
- Fast WiFi (probably because the place was at like 30% occupancy)
- $35/night for valet parking is absurd.
- Room service is very reasonably priced -- I think my burger & beer was $25-$30 all-in, which is really hard to beat.
- Room rate was $150 a night, which is also very reasonable for a downtown hotel.
- Their gift shop lost the place points -- wasn't open at 7:15 one morning; didn't have anything quick to grab for breakfast the other (I settled on a Starbucks Refresher and a granola bar).

Overall - 3 / 3.5*. The JW is nicer; the Ace is hipper; the Standard is hipper and more expensive, the Sheraton's dumpier but in a better location. This isn't a bad spot if you find yourself downtown and want to accrue Hyatt points.

Last edited by 318i; Apr 11, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:58 am
formerly gemini573

Originally Posted by 318i
Stayed here on a two-night trip for work about a month ago.

Got a king room on the 9th floor and felt a bit like I had the place to myself -- valets weren't busy, lobby was super quiet, elevators were empty (and still old and dirty), the folks I visited for work didn't know the place was open...

I feel like the hotel knows that it's not ready for prime time, and isn't marketing itself as much as it could. So it's pretty empty from what I can tell.

There's also the location factor -- I jumped at the chance to stay at a Hyatt downtown, but the location is far from LA Live, a good hike from 7th Street / Metro Center, and really out of the way from "suddenly cool" downtown LA further east. The Sheraton is much more convenient for my business... of course, it's abysmal.

The comments comparing this place with the Andaz West Hollywood are weird. Unless you're on a week-long, explore everywhere in SoCal kind of trip, I'm not sure how anyone would be choosing between these two properties. It's easily 30 minutes between the two -- at 4am. 45 to an hour at rush hour. They serve totally different markets and completely separate geographies within the region.

A few more points & observations:
- Rooms were good. Nothing earth shattering. Nice view of the sun rising over LA from my window.
- Fast WiFi (probably because the place was at like 30% occupancy)
- $35/night for valet parking is absurd.
- Room service is very reasonably priced -- I think my burger & beer was $25-$30 all-in, which is really hard to beat.
- Room rate was $150 a night, which is also very reasonable for a downtown hotel.
- Their gift shop lost the place points -- wasn't open at 7:15 one morning; didn't have anything quick to grab for breakfast the other (I settled on a Starbucks Refresher and a granola bar).

Overall - 3 / 3.5*. The JW is nicer; the Ace is hipper; the Standard is hipper and more expensive, the Sheraton's dumpier but in a better location. This isn't a bad spot if you find yourself downtown and want to accrue Hyatt points.
Are they still offering the 2500 points lounge bonus? I'm thinking of doing a quick run next weekend.

Sad that the HR Irvine is no longer. Great rates during the weekend and lounge bonus.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:46 am

Programs: Delta GM, *G, BA Blue, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver, LHW
Originally Posted by gemini573
Are they still offering the 2500 points lounge bonus? I'm thinking of doing a quick run next weekend.

Sad that the HR Irvine is no longer. Great rates during the weekend and lounge bonus.
Not for me, but I'm only Plat.
Old Apr 19, 2014, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVP, UA GM, Hyatt Somethingist

I've stayed several times over the last few months and have never been offered the RC closure points.

On may last stay (about a week and half ago), you now have to pay for parking directly from the valet stand - which is an annoyance that I could do without (and you don't earn points on the $35/night; assuming points accrue from parking charges in general).
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:20 pm
formerly gemini573

I've stayed several times over the last few months and have never been offered the RC closure points.

On may last stay (about a week and half ago), you now have to pay for parking directly from the valet stand - which is an annoyance that I could do without (and you don't earn points on the $35/night; assuming points accrue from parking charges in general).
If you don't mind the walk, go west on 2nd(??) by those apartments. You can park there for free. The parking is a big rip off...$35 a night??? On weekends, if you park across the street, after a certain time it's only $8.00.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 4:41 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
If you don't mind the walk, go west on 2nd(??) by those apartments. You can park there for free. The parking is a big rip off...$35 a night??? On weekends, if you park across the street, after a certain time it's only $8.00.
We paid $14 at the World Trade Center garage across the street for 12 hours of parking overnight on a Saturday. The entrance to the garage is off of S. Flower.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold

I asked the GP Concierge about the 2,500 point bonus and got the following reply:

The LA2500 bonus code offer was only good for stays through December of 2013, so that code doesn't apply to your stay that you just finished. Bonuses for the Club being closed wouldn't apply until the rebranding is completed and it becomes the Hyatt Regency Downtown LA - the Club isn't closed for renovation, it actually has never been opened as it is one of the things we are adding as part of the rebranding process.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.