Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:50 am

Standard Warning: I don’t spend much time in full-service hotels, so I tend to think they’re all great and overlook “flaws”.

I’m in Week Two of three at the LA Hotel.

Location and Arrival: There’s now some sort of Hyatt banner hanging over the circular drive entrance. So I suppose they’re close to rebranding. I walked in, so no parking experience or advise. Location is on the periphery of Downtown, across from the Bonaventure. It’s a manageable walk from the necessities and fairly close (four blocks) to the major bus line on Wilshire Blvd and subway (four/five blocks). When I arrived at 5:00PM, there was one person at the front desk. But there was only one customer and I was helped promptly. When another guest arrived, another front desk agent appeared. I was recognized and thanked for my Hyatt loyalty. I chose points over an amenity. I was given vouchers (on very substantial, quality-feeling paper) for breakfast, plated or full buffet.

Room: I was placed on a high floor (my preference), mid-hallway, standard room. It was reasonably sized with a king bed, comfy chair and desk/chair combo. Single-serving coffee maker and half-sized refrigerator. Room safe in the closet. I like the décor – some wood-y feels and stone in the bathroom. Big shower and single sink; no tub. The bed was, in my experience, fairly standard full-service Hyatt…which means “good” to me. Everything was clean and functioned properly. I struggled for a moment to find light switches for the covered wall lighting (behind wooden panels) controlled by small rocker switches. One clear sign that the conversion to Hyatt is not complete: no toothpaste!

Breakfast: Very good (in my distorted opinion). I’m vegetarian, so my choices were fruit and cereal (sans milk). There was also bread, bacon, sausage, eggs with cheese and ???? mixed in, and real oatmeal (uncontaminated by milk or sugar). They left me a small carafe of coffee. According to the voucher, a gratuity of 15% was included; I left a few bucks extra.

Fitness Center: This is why I’m cancelling my third week. Confession: I’m a gym snob. This gym had enough equipment and the lighting was good other than on the edges of the room and everything I tried “worked”…but they have yet to upgrade to U.S. Hyatt standard of Precor or Life Fitness cardio equipment. For me (again “snob”), StarTrac equipment is just too junky. (Example: the arm pieces on elliptical trainers have several inches of “free play”, so they “clunk” with every rotation. Treadmills stutter on startup, speed change and slow down. If this doesn’t bother you, you’re “golden” here.) There are windows. Other minor bummers: the place really wasn’t clean, with towels scattered on the floor, loose equipment here and there. I’ve never seen anyone cleaning, and there were scraps and plastic wrap from earbuds on most of the equipment.

Other stuff: USA Today available on each floor, not at your door (which is fine) and Wall Street Journals here and there. The lobby feels cavernous – spacious and empty and dark and the outside circular drive/entrance certainly doesn’t have any “Hollywood flash”, so you won’t be dazzling anyone who comes to visit.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 7:19 pm

Quick update: came through the lobby tonight and it didn't seem quite to dreary. If the light is coming in, there are some bright colors at one end of the lobby.

Another sign the Marriott to Hyatt conversion isn't complete: My room still has its Book of Mormon.

Signs in the elevators announce conversion to Hyatt Regency "Spring 2013".

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; Jul 24, 2013 at 7:02 pm
Old Jul 25, 2013, 9:44 am

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
any word on when a lounge is supposed to open, if there is even going to be one?
Old Jul 25, 2013, 10:24 am

Originally Posted by mrredskin
any word on when a lounge is supposed to open, if there is even going to be one?
I'm not much for lounges, but I'll try to find someone to ask. I haven't seen anything. The January 30, 2013 Press Release mentions...
"To be reflagged as Hyatt Regency Los Angeles Downtown, the hotel is currently undergoing a $20 million renovation that will bring a modern, elegant and contemporary design, as well as service upgrades to each of the 419 guestrooms and 72 suites, public spaces and corridors, meeting and event areas, business and fitness centers, concierge lounge, restaurants, and lobby."
Old Jul 29, 2013, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I'm not much for lounges, but I'll try to find someone to ask. I haven't seen anything. The January 30, 2013 Press Release mentions...
"To be reflagged as Hyatt Regency Los Angeles Downtown, the hotel is currently undergoing a $20 million renovation that will bring a modern, elegant and contemporary design, as well as service upgrades to each of the 419 guestrooms and 72 suites, public spaces and corridors, meeting and event areas, business and fitness centers, concierge lounge, restaurants, and lobby."
thanks! saw that release, too, and figured there'd be some updates by now
Old Jul 29, 2013, 7:22 pm

I decided to come back for that third week afterall. I surprise myself a bit because there's a hotel 20 yards away where I used to spend 200 nights a year for three or four years.

The lobby at the LA Hotel is being redone right now, so check in is on the second floor. It was nowhere near as efficient. They couldn't create breakfast vouchers, for instance (just a little handwriting on cardstock paper.) Longer wait for keys. They did have someone in the lobby directing traffic.

Just a note that there is a "Penthouse" floor, but most of the rooms are seemingly identical; perhaps there is something special up there somewhere.
Old Sep 3, 2013, 9:52 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Does anyone have any updates on The LA Hotel? Planning on staying there on New Years and its a good deal among the Hyatt properties -- hoping that the suite upgrade holds up.
Old Sep 4, 2013, 7:24 am

I was there on the night of August 23rd. Used diamond suite upgrade. Suite was nice, king bed, large desk, couch with pull out bed. There was a floor to ceiling TV unit that split the bedroom and couch area with TV's on both sides. We were on the 9th floor overlooking the pool. The only things that did not appear to have completed renovations are the 1st floor lobby (check in was on the second floor) and the grand club (I was given a free breakfast voucher instead).
Old Sep 18, 2013, 9:19 am

Programs: AA Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Just stayed here for one night and I thought they did a nice job renovating the rooms. Obviously the plumbing is still an issue as my shower water was cold at night, but hot in the morning.

The lobby area downstairs was still under construction, but looked fine. I do like the pool adjacent to the bar/lounge, which has some potential to be a somewhat trendy weekend spot.

Valet parking was $35/day, which I didn't think was too bad. Service was very fast.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:10 am

finally did my stay here last week for one night. used suite upgrade (expiring soon) and got a junior suite on "ph" level facing pool and hwy. agree with trendy potential for pool altho did not have time to use.

wish it was a little closer to a metro line. walked about 5 blocks to get to union to take dodgers shuttle to game.

carpet in hotel is not friendly for large swivel bags!

still no club, but agent said it should be open by end of october, i think.

originally wasn't gonna have time for breakfast (and wasn't offered the night before at check in) but agent at morning check out offered us and the other couple we were traveling with the comp'd breakfast in the restaurant downstairs. VERY good service and food, there. I'd actually be disappointed when the lounge opens - as that current benefit will probably go away. Management at this restaurant has this place in check. Every employee was on top of things. Can't say I've ever had service this good from every single person I encountered at one establishment.

There is no reason to valet park if you don't need it. The World Trade Center across the street has elevator and walkway access directly to the hotel lobby and registration. $16 overnight.

Still a bit more to be done, overall, but it's coming along nicely.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 3:16 pm

Interesting updates. I'm up to about nine (non-sequential) weeks here, so I've been watching all the remodel goings on. I hadn't heard about the plans for a Club Lounge, though lounges dont really interest me. I still hold out hope of a remodel for the fitness center. Ample space and equipment, but it's second-rate equipment, so I've been working out at "my office"/worksite.

Haven't had an "upgraded" room of any sort yet, though I usually end up on one of the top floors (including the so-called Penthouse" floor.) The standard rooms have been comfortable for me.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 8:56 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Any word on when the official transition will be to Regency? Would stay here more w a club....
Old Sep 19, 2013, 9:25 am

Keep in mind that "Regency" does not always equal "Club/Lounge"; plenty of Regencys don't have them. But apparently, they will get a lounge here. (Bummer)
Old Sep 20, 2013, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
They have a lounge and are constructing around on it. That's a huge difference to not having one at all. I first stayed there in the spring time and with a bit goodwill they could have it running.
Old Oct 11, 2013, 6:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold-no diff than Plat, so who cares; Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, US CP
Stayed at The LA Hotel the first week of October. lobby very much under construction, but if the drawings are accurate, it will be very much upgraded from the old Marriott.

Service very good...seems to be improving over time. ^ The front office supervisor checked me in and I took the chance to ask when everything will convert to a Hyatt...looks like it will be early 2014 at the soonest. He verified the Club is very much (still) under construction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.