Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The LA Hotel Downtown REVIEW - MASTER THREAD - NO LONGER HYATT 18-Aug-14

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2013, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior
I still hold out hope of a remodel for the fitness center. Ample space and equipment, but it's second-rate equipment, so I've been working out at "my office"/worksite.
I'm at the hotel this week and the fitness center is currently closed for remodel. They have negotiated with the Westin Bonaventure across the street for fitness center access. Haven't done that but some colleagues said there was a wait for equipment at the Westin.

Check-in side of the lobby on the 1st floor is open now and looks quite nice. Have to use escalators up to 2nd floor to get to the elevators to the room.

Lounge still not open.

Room is nice (upgraded to Junior Suite) but no HDTV signal on tv and very poor reception on standard definition and internet is slooooww. 1 Mbs when I checked it this morning.
Old Nov 30, 2013, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: WN~A List Pref, CP, Hyatt-Diamond, Hilton Diamond, ANT~a Dave Matthews Addiction thing
I was impressed.....

4 night stay business/pleasure

Used a diamond cert. junior suite. Talked myself into a vista suite. Young lady at fd was professional, helpful, and delightful

Lounge was closed. Diamond breakfast was solid

2500/nt offer was excellent

That plus diamond add of 1k points

Reached my 20k bonus

Rate was great

Internet connection was a disaster ):

Vista suite. Plenty of windows solid 900 plus Sqr feet

Downtown LA......who would ever live in LA.....:-)

Very much enjoyed

Last edited by antinseattle; Nov 30, 2013 at 7:53 pm
Old Dec 1, 2013, 8:26 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
I have to wonder why this hotel is dragging its feet on becoming a full fledged Hyatt? It has been well over a year and the "temporary"signage is still up.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 12:11 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by bigguyinpasadena
I have to wonder why this hotel is dragging its feet on becoming a full fledged Hyatt? It has been well over a year and the "temporary"signage is still up.
Possibly because financing for the renovations have not been finalized - just a theory.
Old Dec 1, 2013, 4:04 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Does anyone have any email contact information for LA Hotel directly? I just had an experience with their front desk on the telephone (someone didn't know what they were talking about) and want to talk to someone directly there.
Old Dec 2, 2013, 10:53 pm
SST

At the hotel now. My room is definitely refurbished, but "renovated" it's not. Early 90s decor, nice and clean though. The lobby is wide open, the pool a side thought off the lobby, the bar too well lit and male (100%), yet poor as a sports bar on Monday night---- the Westin Bonaventure across the street has a more convivial bar, yet I walked further into downtown LA for a more real MNF experience. Watched the Saints lose, chatted with locals, realized I'd never have this at the hotel, or the Bonav.

Solid hotel for the too-low price I paid and the LA2500 bonus; it's going to be much harder to justify this place once rates hit $200, and GP earnings are normal. $35 car park is a rip, regardless of what SPG charges nearby. Why not stay at the Checkers and self park at Pershing Sq for $16? Just sayin....
Old Dec 3, 2013, 7:20 am

Programs: AA, Delta, United, SPG plat, Hyatt dia
or park across the street for $13/$16 http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21105930-post40.html
Old Dec 3, 2013, 2:35 pm

Programs: Delta GM +MM; SPG LT Plat; Hyatt Diamond
Had a stay here mid-November. The check-in agent said they were waiting for permits to redo the pool, describing what sounds like an impressive remodel to make the pool circular and make a small "beach" as well. Not sure what that means. Permitting issues could explain the long reno.
The hotel is perfectly serviceable at the moment. For the most part, the staff was excellent and attentive. It's a big hotel with a big lobby, which some will find impersonal. The rooms are relatively large, clean and comfy. However, the food is still right on the edge of being just bad vs inedible/undercooked. I tried breakfast and room service. Hopefully, they will retrain/completely overhaul the food services before full reflag.
I'm reserving full judgement until they officially reflag. That said, without the 2500 bonus points per night, I'd be letting the judgement fly and would stay elsewhere until I saw consistent excellent reviews. I'll be keeping an eye on if they extend the bonus past 12/31/13 until the hotel officially reflags.
Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, American Air, National Car
Interesting news on the pool - I hope they can move it away from the building a bit, it ends up being in the shade in the afternoons. And it can be a bit chilly/breezy in the late afternoon shade downtown.

I find the breakfast to be fine. An omelet, table service, decent cut fruit.

I get an OK corporate rate, and the location has worked well for several of the things I need to be near when I've stayed.

Originally Posted by monoflight
Had a stay here mid-November. The check-in agent said they were waiting for permits to redo the pool, describing what sounds like an impressive remodel to make the pool circular and make a small "beach" as well. Not sure what that means. Permitting issues could explain the long reno.
The hotel is perfectly serviceable at the moment. For the most part, the staff was excellent and attentive. It's a big hotel with a big lobby, which some will find impersonal. The rooms are relatively large, clean and comfy. However, the food is still right on the edge of being just bad vs inedible/undercooked. I tried breakfast and room service. Hopefully, they will retrain/completely overhaul the food services before full reflag.
I'm reserving full judgement until they officially reflag. That said, without the 2500 bonus points per night, I'd be letting the judgement fly and would stay elsewhere until I saw consistent excellent reviews. I'll be keeping an eye on if they extend the bonus past 12/31/13 until the hotel officially reflags.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 12:05 am

Originally Posted by 4aks
Interesting news on the pool
It was an offhand comment from the agent who checked me in, so don't take it as gospel.
Old Dec 13, 2013, 7:02 am

Does anyone know if they waive the (reported) wi-fi access costs for Diamonds? I dont think I've been charged for hotel wi-fi in years and it is reported only tied to one device (not the whole room)?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 9:35 pm

I was not charged for wifi. I only signed in on one device.
The staff seemed eager to please and responsive, so a quick call beforehand or request when you check-in should clear it up. If it's only a few devices, I'd be surprised if the request was denied if made in person no matter what the interim policy is.
Old Feb 6, 2014, 1:01 pm
GB

Programs: AA EXP, SPG PLT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton GLD
Any recent stays? Is the 2,500 bonus still active?
Old Feb 13, 2014, 6:46 pm

I stayed there over New Years and had a decent stay. Diamond suite upgrade garnered us a Jr-Suite which was a big room seperated by two TVs (as mentioned above). Breakfast vouchers and they waived the WiFi charges.

No major complaints, but nothing outstanding or ground shaking either. They removed the LA2500 bonus from their website and I'm having some trouble (multiple agents) trying to get mine posted from over a month ago. Nice hotel though (without the parking fees).

Originally Posted by GB
Any recent stays? Is the 2,500 bonus still active?
Old Feb 14, 2014, 9:12 am

Programs: AS MVP, UA GM, Hyatt Somethingist
Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan
I stayed there over New Years and had a decent stay. Diamond suite upgrade garnered us a Jr-Suite which was a big room seperated by two TVs (as mentioned above). Breakfast vouchers and they waived the WiFi charges.

No major complaints, but nothing outstanding or ground shaking either. They removed the LA2500 bonus from their website and I'm having some trouble (multiple agents) trying to get mine posted from over a month ago. Nice hotel though (without the parking fees).
Currently at the hotel on my second stay in a month or so. No complaints about the hotel overall, and will be eager to see it when renovations are complete. The rooms and lobby are complete and nice IMHO. Question to the FT community: the description of rooms on the web site does include "Regency Club", and there is a door labeled "Regency Club" that I don't believe is ever open. Would that constitute a closed RC for purposes of a 2500 GP points? It hasn't thus far, but perhaps I'm being greedy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.