Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2019, 4:11 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Yes being a regular helps a lot. If you do try HR you'll find a lot of familiar faces in Club Lounge - many came from GH.

I'll always stick to properties where the folks know me even if hardware not quite as good.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:05 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
Stayed here recently - Got upgraded to a deluxe room at booking from a Prive rate (no further upgrade at check in for EXPL) and applied a club award cert. Thought the room was well designed and massive but I do agree that some of the finishes, especially in the bathroom seemed a little cheapish. Not really an issue for me considering everything was new and modern, but in 10 years I wonder how it's going to hold up. Breakfast & snack time in the lounge was very weak but I ate both breakfast and lunch at Market Cafe and thought the food there was very good. Location was OK for touristy things, had to take 2 trains to get to Chinatown/tourist areas.

Next time I'm in Bangkok I'd stay at the PH since the service and F&B really impressed me there & the lounge at HR was a waste IMO, but if I'm trying to keep costs low, the HR is a solid choice.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I agree CL snack time and CL breakfast both are weak. Evening cocktails is pretty good however. And we can choose breakfast in main cafe.

I could see 10 years out some finishes fraying. I like it here but consider it 4-5 star, not luxurious 5.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 9:12 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Booked 3 nights, 2 CC award nights and the 3rd on points for 2 adults and our 2 children. Already received a welcome email advising me that a suite upgrade is awaiting us. Looking forward to our first stay here not only to enjoy but also to see how this property compares with other HRs in the system.

Originally Posted by perkerkeem
Location was OK for touristy things, had to take 2 trains to get to Chinatown/tourist areas.
Please advise as to what touristy things in the area - I'm interested! Taking 2 trains is fine by me but it seems a bit burdensome!
Old Jan 2, 2020, 6:48 am

Programs: AA PRO, BA S
So AFAIK there are no real 4-5* hotels in the main tourist district (Wat Pho, Wat Arun, Imperial Palace) - you either stay on the river (ie Mandarin Oriental) or in the business-y district (JW, HR, PH, etc) but this was a 5ish minute walk to the Sukhumvit MRT line which takes ~20 minutes to get to the Sanam Chai MRT station where all that is. Also could take the train to Wat Mangkon (~10 minutes) MRT for Chinatown. I found it to fine to take the subway out there hence my OK rating (you won't find a hotel right in the middle of the action).

I'm not sure what i was thinking when i wrote 2 trains, please disregard that - you can take just 1 train from Sukhumvit station to the major tourist areas. I think it's a little faster to take the Skytrain to Sala Daeng then get on the MRT from Silom, which is maybe where that comment came from, but I didn't think either way was particularly difficult to get to touristy stuff relative to the other options.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 7:36 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Very informative - thank you @perkerkeem!

I am of the opinion, however, that it's all about the journey. To meet my walking quota and to enjoy the surroundings, here is what I usually do:

- Take the Sukhumvit BTS line Nana - Chitlom.
- Walk Chitlom - Ratchadamri to avoid Siam & to meet said walking quotas.
- Take the Silom Line Ratchadamri - Saphan Taksin.
- Walk down to the Sathorn Pier.
- Take the THB 30 boat to Tha Chang Pier
- 5-minutes walk to the Grand Palace, Emerald Temple, Wat Po, etc.
- THB 3 ferry to Wat Arun
- Backtrack to get back to Nana!

Either way is fine depending on your preference, time constraints, weather, etc.

On the 15 THB boat to the temples
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:55 pm
Marriott 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Hyatt Regency Bangkok

Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

1 Sukhumvit Soi 13 BTS Nana Bangkok, TH 10110

Hyatt Regency Bangkok (0 Photo)

Thoroughly impressed by the HR BKK. It's about on par with the Surawongse in my book and one of my new favorite options in BKK.

Super fun rooftop party yesterday. Third party but free entry for hotel guests. Nice rooftop bar, with 3 levels.

Staff and service is good!

Breakfast is solid and offered at restaurant. Love the juice bar. Small but diverse selection.

Nobody should ever be staying at the dump that is the Grand Hyatt over the Regency. Ever. Period. Unforgivable.

Check In

Check-in was friendly at the club lounge. Suite (TSU upgrade) wasn't ready at 4:30pm arrival, had to wait an hour.

The location in Sukhumvit is pretty close to perfect. Directly connected to Nana BTS station, across the street from the Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, etc.

Dining

The rooftop bar is great. There are two levels: the main classy bar on level 29 with an indoor and outdoor patio, and a two-level outdoor rooftop bar aboe. When I went, they had an event ongoing on the rooftop party, which i got free entry to as a hotel guest (normally 900thb). The event at Spectrum was fantastic, while the main bar below remained opened to the general public.

Image may contain: 1 person, night and indoor

Was offered breakfast in the restaurant. The breakfast, however, is a bit lackluster. The food is alright quality, but the selection is small. e.g. Nice juice bar with made to order juices, but  no fresh coconuts. Indian selection with 2 breads, rice, but only one dish.

Room

Room is totally fantastic. Love the modern style, the views, etc. The lack of automatic blinds is my only complaint. Why skimp on such a basic thing? :man-facepalming::skin-tone-2:

Also, I'm finding the AC has trouble keeping the precise set temperature. It was way too cold at times during my stay (thermostat says 25ºC while it felt closer to 17)

These, however, are nitpicks. The suite is absolutely lovely for a base level suite at a Hyatt Regency. Two bathrooms, corner suite that covers the entire width of the building including 3 whole sides. Probably the nicest suite I've ever seen at a HR.

Image may contain: indoor, possible text that says 'od'Image may contain: bedroom and indoorNo photo description available.Image may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoorImage may contain: indoor

Views

I care more about views than most people, and this hotel doesn't dissapoint. Floor to cieling windows on any side of building are a feast for the eyes.

Image may contain: skyscraper, sky and outdoorImage may contain: skyscraper, sky and outdoor

Club Lounge

Club lounge has lovely views, with an outdoor terrace. However booze quality is horrible and it's crazy crowded around HH. Food is also bad, but that's not unusual for a club lounge (which I find to always be bad, except maybe GH HK and Manila).

I find it pretty dissapointing that they think serving Gordon's gin and Smirnoff vodka is sufficient or appropriate and it really doesn't match the quality of the rest of the hotel.

Hyatt Regency Bangkok

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit?

No, thank you.
Yes
escape4 likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 12:34 am

Agree with your above review/assessment. Got the same suite but on the 10th floor (# 1006) and was accommodated with additional bedding due to family size (2 adults & 2 children). I found, however, the food offerings at the lounge to be acceptable for a HR but the fruits in the room (welcome gift) or at breakfast to be old and stale! I also found smoking/smokers to be a problem at the lounge, pool, and the 4th floor market cafe!

On a positive note, I found the staff very welcoming and proactive everywhere in this hotel. Coffee in the room is the most delicious that I have ever had in a hotel room. Amazing views from the suite.

The Regency Club balcony where smokers gathered during happy hour

More photos can be found here:
helvetic likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:30 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Marriott Amb; Hyatt Globalist; Shangri-la Diamond; IHG SpireAmb; Hilton D; Accor G
Food at the club tonight better than yesterday
Kalboz likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 4:53 am

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
They use the same cheap Red Smirnoff and Gordon's Gin at the HR Resort Bali. I also told the GM that's it is not really Club worthy in my book, but having seen some people drink the stuff like water during happy hour I can understand why they are reluctant to upgrade as cost is significant in places like Thailand or Indonesia due to high liquor taxes and all that.
Old Jan 8, 2020, 10:33 pm

At happy hour, I requested Cognac to which I was turned down as being a non-standard HR lounge liquor by the Thai lady bar attendee. Later on, a European manager approached me and asked if he could do anything to make my stay more enjoyable. Although I said that I was fine and needed nothing, I presume that the bar tend informed him of my request for premium liquor and he proactively engaged me. The libation was not a big deal, but I was impressed by the swift action to satisfy a guest. And for that, I give them 5-stars as the saying goes, little things mean a lot!

pWei likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 6:42 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Having stayed at the Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit now, some thoughts:

- Good proactive service. Had requested (thru email the day before) early check-in at 8am on day of arrival if possible. This was confirmed in advance. ^
At the same time, I was told no suite upgrade will be offered. This was fine with me in this scenario.

- Got high floor king room. Nice views. Room seems nice and modern, albeit a little sparse and soulless. Completely empty table, no wall art etc.

- Bedside tables do not have drawers.

- No “handy” phone in room. Unlike what some earlier members reported finding. Maybe it is suites only...?

- Breakfast is very good. But my other usual haunt in Bangkok, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, still wins on that front comfortably. Daytime snacks very weak. Just tea/coffee/sodas and cookies.

- Evening spread in the HR lounge is much more elaborate than SGS though, albeit very “lounge-y” as opposed to the live music feel of SGS venues. Overall I think HR wins this purely from a food choice perspective.

- Room size is smaller than SGS. I also think higher suite upgrade possibility (without TSU/SNA) will be at SGS.

Overall, I think this is a great Hyatt option in Bangkok, and for me personally, I prefer this location much more to Grand Hyatt, which is equally nice as a hotel. Prob much better if you can get a cottage!

Where would I stay again? HR if I can confirm a TSU, otherwise SGS, assuming rates are equal. GH only if it is cheaper than the other two.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by AJLondon

- Good proactive service. Had requested (thru email the day before) early check-in at 8am on day of arrival if possible. This was confirmed in advance. ^
At the same time, I was told no suite upgrade will be offered. This was fine with me in this scenario.

- Got high floor king room. Nice views. Room seems nice and modern, albeit a little sparse and soulless. Completely empty table, no wall art etc.

- No “handy” phone in room. Unlike what some earlier members reported finding. Maybe it is suites only...?

- Breakfast is very good. But my other usual haunt in Bangkok, Sheraton Grande Sukhumvit, still wins on that front comfortably. Daytime snacks very weak. Just tea/coffee/sodas and cookies.

- Evening spread in the HR lounge is much more elaborate than SGS though, albeit very “lounge-y” as opposed to the live music feel of SGS venues. Overall I think HR wins this purely from a food choice perspective.

- Room size is smaller than SGS. I also think higher suite upgrade possibility (without TSU/SNA) will be at SGS.

Overall, I think this is a great Hyatt option in Bangkok, and for me personally, I prefer this location much more to Grand Hyatt, which is equally nice as a hotel. Prob much better if you can get a cottage!

Where would I stay again? HR if I can confirm a TSU, otherwise SGS, assuming rates are equal. GH only if it is cheaper than the other two.
I was told the Handy phone company ended the phone services and took them back.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:25 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by Aventine
I was told the Handy phone company ended the phone services and took them back.
Yes, Tink Labs was the company and they went out of business.

Tried to link to some articles about it but they didn’t work.
AJLondon likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2020, 2:35 am

Originally Posted by AJLondon

You'd rather have a wide selection of barely edible lounge food over free flow from 3 different bars with live music and real cocktails? You can get the most amazing meal for $2 outside the hotel… you know.
Hydro88 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.