Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2022, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Thai boomers competing for Chinese boomer business? Just wait until the Thai Instagram generation gets put in charge of development…
lol reminds me of staying at W Samui where they would charge Chinese tourists something like 300 THB each to take photos with the iconic "W."
Old Jan 21, 2022, 12:53 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
lol reminds me of staying at W Samui where they would charge Chinese tourists something like 300 THB each to take photos with the iconic "W."
Aha, back when the Woo bar had an entry fee. Nowadays if you go you usually get the whole place to yourself
Old Mar 14, 2022, 11:06 pm

Yes, the Hyatt Regency Sukhumvit is a solid property. Most of the service is very good, but at some points there seems to be a lack of staff. The Privé rate with a 3for2 offer is a very good deal. They are less generous with upgrades at this property.

If you want to have in-room dining, I recommend the “by Khao” menu. It’s really good. You can order everything on the “by Khao” menu, not only what’s on the in-room dining menu. The “by Khao” is available from 6pm to 10pm. Can’t recommend the Western food on the menu.

There are big windows in the bathroom, even where the toilet is. There are electric roller blinds, but you can close all windows or none of it only.

If you get a room on a lower floor, it can get quite noisy (traffic, BTS).
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 5:19 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by thbe
They are less generous with upgrades at this property.
Can you please elaborate? If a standard suite is available at time of check-in of a Globalist, are we not getting that suite?
Old Mar 15, 2022, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by escape4
Can you please elaborate? If a standard suite is available at time of check-in of a Globalist, are we not getting that suite?

I haven't stayed post covid but pre covid stayed many times. I always got a suite except one time. They kindly moved me to a suite that one time after one night In another room.

They don't play games. Wonderful hotel and wonderful service. I can't wait to go back. From my understanding pre covid there were many globalists and long term guests which made it difficult to get suites at times.

For me, my favorite Bkk property precovid was Plaza Athenee but HR was good enough because of service and location and helped me qualify for Globalist. I'll stay there again when borders open up.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 9:16 pm

SHLTP yes as far as I know, HR upgrades to suites when available. If suites are fully occupied then of course no upgrade possible but in my opinion that is not the same as "not generous". Which is why the previous comment raised my eyebrows, if they have changed their upgrade policy recently I would like to know as a red flag.
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2022, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by escape4
Having a Privé booking and being Globalist, I got a Deluxe room on 16th floor. At that time there wasn’t many guest staying at the hotel. They’ve even closed the second entrance during my stay. Hard to imagine, that all suite were occupied. Maybe some were under maintenance.

A few weeks before I’ve got a standard suite on the 10th floor. It was really noisy.

Since Corona started, I’ve been always upgraded suite at HR, GH, PH and HC, so maybe I’m a bit spoiled by the recent two years.

No big deal for me as Bangkok also has the GHE, which I prefer.
Old Apr 14, 2022, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Some of this 'n some of that
Data Point (FWIW)

A Guest of Honor booking, they are currently on premises, relayed to me that the lounge is only serving wine (red/white) and mimosas in the evening. They apparently don't have any liquor.

I find that rather surprising for a lounge in Asia.
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:40 pm

Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit = Solid Hotel Although a Bit Bland

Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

1 Sukhumvit Soi 13 BTS Nana Bangkok, TH 10110

Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit = Solid Hotel Although a Bit Bland (5 Photos)

I had not stayed at Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit for a while because during covid the hotel was stubborn and did not roll out the same heavy discounts as competitors from other chains for example Hilton and Marriott, or also compared to Grand Hyatt.  Now that rates seem to slowly go back to pre-covid levels I have returned to HR to see what changed.  

Room

Last time I received a suite upgrade and with occupancy still lower than normal I was kind of expecting a Globalist upgrade again especially since HR is a big hotel with lots of suites.  One wrinkle is that I was coming to Thailand under Test & Go and the hotel decided that Globalist benefits would not apply for the first night of the stay, therefore I knew that I would start off in a non-suite but that I might move to a suite later.

Despite the lack of official Globalist benefits, they upgraded my first night to a deluxe room nonetheless, which is a room type I had not seen before.  Unfortunately suites ended up not being available so we stayed in this same room for subsequent nights.  I guess it was a moderate surprise to see suites were all occupied (and verified online) so I am probably less optimistic about a suite upgrade in the future upon returning when covid restrictions are fully in the rearview mirror.  The difficulty in getting suite upgrades has often been an issue at Grand Hyatt before, unlike Park Hyatt where suite upgrades are plentiful.

That said, if I was ever to be “stuck” in a non-suite in Bangkok, the deluxe room at Hyatt Regency would be one of the nicer ones to be in because they are very spacious, listed at 46-57 sqm which means some of them are equally large if not more than what some other hotels call junior suites.  I am not too hung up on room names, so bottom line is the deluxe rooms at HR are more than fine and it’s a newer hotel with hardware still in good condition, therefore I know I can easily have a comfortable stay.  The hotel also put some baby amenities in our room prior to our arrival which was a nice touch.  If there was one negative (or two) about the room I would say that I wish there was less use of carpet, and also this hotel will not be confused with an Andaz, W, Sofitel SO, or a Design Hotel as the rooms are a bit bland and straightforward.

1_IMG_0979.jpeg1_IMG_0980.jpeg1_IMG_0981.jpeg1_IMG_0982.jpeg1_IMG_0983.jpeg

Dining

Happy hour in the lounge was as strong as before food-wise and one of the better ones in Bangkok – enough to make it a meal, including food prepared live by a chef.  The weakness is more about drinks: there was beer and wine (plus sparkling wine) but no spirits and no cocktails.  It’s the opposite of some other hotels in Bangkok where happy hour is only small bite appetizers but an extensive drinks menu.  I was told in the lounge that possibly cocktails would be introduced in the lounge next month – if so it would be a nice improvement.

Breakfast was nicer than before but it was not consistently good every morning.  On some days the dishes lacked protein varieties for example vegetarian fried rice instead of pork/shrimps/chicken, but other days were quite good with nice pieces of grilled salmon, among other things.  

Overall

Overall HR remains a solid hotel which belongs in a rotation of places I want to stay at in Bangkok.  It’s not necessarily at the very top of my list and could become “boring” too quickly so I am not willing to forego enjoying other top hotels in the city by staying exclusively at one place, but I will definitely be back.

Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit = Solid Hotel Although a Bit Bland

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Apr 15, 2022, 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by dsquared37
A Guest of Honor booking, they are currently on premises, relayed to me that the lounge is only serving wine (red/white) and mimosas in the evening. They apparently don't have any liquor. I find that rather surprising for a lounge in Asia.
Just seen this after posting my review. If mimosas are what they had in mind when they told me a couple of weeks ago that they would introduce cocktails, then it's a modest attempt to improve the (weak) drinks menu. As per my review above, I concur that drinks at happy hour is not a strong point of this hotel.
EuropeanPete and dsquared37 like this.
Old Apr 16, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: It's Complicated...
@escape4, I agree with your review. I do agree that this property could be a little bland. I actually said something to that effect in my TA review about the pool and it seemed the GM took exception to it. I am pretty sure they had some cocktails on offer in November when the wife and I were there but cant find anything to prove it. I typically just drink wine but the wife will take a cocktail if they have a list. I also agree that the Deluxe is not to bad as a consolation prize for no upgrade. I did like the lounge evening food offerings being such good quality and plentiful, not a fried food fest. The lounge was also not too busy compared to my experience and the GH lounge which was an absolute zoo. That part matters to me a lot. Great updated review.
escape4 likes this.
Old May 16, 2022, 1:48 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt globalist, Marriott Gold
Thinking of booking myself here for a week on points with SUA, worth it?
Old May 20, 2022, 5:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, UA *S, BA Fanboy
Originally Posted by xmzzn123
Thinking of booking myself here for a week on points with SUA, worth it?
I believe I responded to you on the GH thread, so to keep it short, yes it's worth it.

To add some additional value to this thread, happy hour now has two cocktails. I believe it was bloody Mary and mimosa. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was certainly a mimosa and something else. I appreciate the outdoor patio in the Regency Club, which stayed surprisingly cool once the sun went down.
Old May 20, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Red Raider LV
I believe I responded to you on the GH thread, so to keep it short, yes it's worth it.

To add some additional value to this thread, happy hour now has two cocktails. I believe it was bloody Mary and mimosa. Maybe I'm wrong, but it was certainly a mimosa and something else. I appreciate the outdoor patio in the Regency Club, which stayed surprisingly cool once the sun went down.
Which most Americans consider brunch cocktails. Hrrrmm.

Last edited by TravisMT81; May 20, 2022 at 2:14 pm Reason: To correct the generalization.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
which most people consider brunch cocktails. Hrrrmm.
To be fair I think that’s a specifically American interpretation and not necessarily “‘most people” in this case.
3rdworldresident likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.