Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency Bangkok, Sukhumvit in Thailand REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2019, 3:00 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Great review!
Old May 16, 2019, 4:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Love all the pics and the write up. Thank you!
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:12 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Here now. I like it - hardware wise it reminds me of the Westin quality wise but more funky. Typically I stay at Starwood/ Marriott in BKK. It is not as Luxurious as PA nor as good service wise as SGS.

initial impressions:

1) hotel kindly upgraded me to a suite. They let me use the CL for a few hours until the suite was ready so props to them for this. They offered me a room to freshen up in until the suite was ready which was nice of them too - I declined because I didn't want to waste their housekeeping efforts

2) suite is nice but I wouldn't call it luxurious. I don't see the same "cheapness" Others have felt here. Overall, nice decor. I like the layout too. Thumbs up. But more upper premium than luxury.

3) breakfast in CL is underwhelming though they have made to order eggs and noodles. Tomorrow I'll try the full buffet which they give globalists. I only saw one other person eating in CL so hopefully the buffet is better and draws people which is why CL is sparse

The lounge itself is nice but like the room I wouldn't call it elegant. More lively. I see it fitting a 30 year old me

4) location. It seems to be middle of SGS and Nana entertainment, right near the Sofitel so pretty good if somewhat chaotic location.

Overall, I'm happy here but don't absolutely love it. I prefer PA which is one of my favorites. I might try PH and GH this trip as well and, if I do, will report back on comparison. But overall this is a good place if you get a good price (PA and STR were double the price tonight and I wanted to try this property anyway).
​​​​
escape4 likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 12:42 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by SHLTP
Overall, I'm happy here but don't absolutely love it. I prefer PA which is one of my favorites.
​​​​
As per my review, I had similar feelings. HR a good hotel but according to my price tracking:

1. One time out of three HR is more expensive than Athenee
2. One time out of three Athenee is more expensive than HR but the difference is less than 500 THB
3. One time out of three Athenee is over 500 THB more expensive than HR

For #1 HR is a no-go, for #2 HR is questionable. So that means it's not so common that I would pick HR over Athenee - the pricing needs to make sense. I think it's easier to score a suite upgrade at HR than Athenee which is great, but HR needs to improve breakfast and the lounge moderately to change the balance a bit.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:11 am

Just as a FYI... I've extended twice to a total of 10 nights. Obviously I like it - my initial summary still stands. I like it and the CL lounge service is really good.

Only 1 major drawback is the pool gets crowded so hard to get sun loungers especially if you are a family. Overall, I expect this place to get real busy as it gets better known especially among Globalists. They said most Globalists still go to GH so fairly rare here comparatively

For me Marriotts continued slide into customer service mediocrity and IT insanity is driving me to Hyatt which feels more like the old Starwood. I'm lifetime titanium at Marriott and still switching to Hyatt.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:37 am

Only 1 major drawback is the pool gets crowded so hard to get sun loungers especially if you are a family.
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry to hear about the pool. When I stopped by the pool a couple of times during my stay it was not crowded at all. Maybe I got lucky, I went during afternoons on week days so maybe less crowded then?

In my opinion the major drawback of HR is quality of breakfast, which some people value more or less than others. I could list at least 10 hotels in that price range with better breakfast, GH being one of them, and several others from Marriott's side = Athenee, SGS, Ren, LM, W, MM, maybe Westin too although it's been a while so my memory is more fuzzy on that one.

breakfast in CL is underwhelming though they have made to order eggs and noodles. Tomorrow I'll try the full buffet which they give globalists.
Now that you have tried breakfast in the restaurant, I would be interested to hear your thoughts and whether you are more positive than I am?
Old Jun 29, 2019, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by escape4
Thanks for the feedback, and sorry to hear about the pool. When I stopped by the pool a couple of times during my stay it was not crowded at all. Maybe I got lucky, I went during afternoons on week days so maybe less crowded then?

In my opinion the major drawback of HR is quality of breakfast, which some people value more or less than others. I could list at least 10 hotels in that price range with better breakfast, GH being one of them, and several others from Marriott's side = Athenee, SGS, Ren, LM, W, MM, maybe Westin too although it's been a while so my memory is more fuzzy on that one.

Now that you have tried breakfast in the restaurant, I would be interested to hear your thoughts and whether you are more positive than I am?
The breakfast is definitely a weak point - I have spoken to mgt team about this twice. The first time was about so so service. They addressed it immediately and have become over the top nice which has helped balance the weakness of the actual quantity of food on offer.

the second time was this afternoon where I said the spread paled in comparison to other properties. I showed them your review too. I'd liken breakfast to Westin level which is just so so.

I agree with you. SGS, LM, PA all have superior breakfasts. This is an issue for me frankly. The team just has gone out of their way for me that I am happily extending my stay ( they let me stay in a suite for example) which I wasn't sure I'd get if I switched to PA or SGS

As for pool, 3 times I went in morning it was full. I came by in afternoon several times and there was plenty of space. They told me they are planning to address the sunbeds situation as many have complained

Overall good property if at right price point. A couple weeks ago it was priced at 3800 which is a steal. This week 4600-4800 which is getting high except PA and STR are around 6000-8000. SGS was same price point but I feel odds up suite upgrade low. I'd rather keep the guaranteed suite.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 4:52 pm

The breakfast is definitely a weak point - I have spoken to mgt team about this twice. The first time was about so so service.
Sounds like our opinions line up pretty well. Service during breakfast was also an issue for me at times but mostly at the beginning of my stay, not towards the middle and end.

Thanks for sharing my review with them!

Cheers
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:19 pm

Anyone tried the "Khao Tom Buffet at Market Café" which supposedly opened 19/07/2019? I see it's open until 3AM so I am looking to grab a bite since I probably won't get to the hotel until 2AM.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Just did a quick one-night stay the other night, via 1-4 cert (not the best use I know but it worked for me). Upgraded to a full suite, same as in the above review. Very positive impression overall - have been a 10x SGS guest, and while you don't get the "urban resort" feel, everything being new and nice is quite pleasant.

Good location on Sukhumvit. Love the "openness" overall with floor to ceiling windows in the room, the gym, etc.

Wasn't super hungry for breakfast so didn't indulge too much but agreed that you want to do it in the Market Cafe, as the lounge is more limiting.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA MM/Premier Gold, Hyatt Globalist,Hilton Honors Gold, IHG platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Not impressed, GH Erawan is better

Checked in for a one night stay, this stay is my 55th so requalifies for next year as globalist. Small room- tiny closet and nowhere to open suitcases, had to ask for luggage racks. Asked about upgrade said they were sold out but I see some for sale. There was a small amenity of two small bananas and three tangarines.
Won't ever stay here again.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by silver springer
Checked in for a one night stay, this stay is my 55th so requalifies for next year as globalist. Small room- tiny closet and nowhere to open suitcases, had to ask for luggage racks. Asked about upgrade said they were sold out but I see some for sale. There was a small amenity of two small bananas and three tangarines.
What room type did you see for sale? A standard suite or a premium suite? It would be the first time I hear of this property not upgrading a Globalist to a standard suite when available - they normally do so proactively and do not come across as being stingy at all.
Old Nov 18, 2019, 6:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by silver springer
Probably a base room and the city is quite busy with all the ASEAN summits. They could have done better. GH Erawan definitely does treat Globalists a whole lot better, IME.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 2:24 am

Just finished another stay here of almost 2 weeks. My review as above still stands. Only difference is I think the service is excellent now and maybe better than my old standby PA. Might be because I have stayed so long everyone knows my drink and food preferences by time of day (a little OCD I know but I don't like to make decisions/ changes when it comes to clothes and food)

Staff from pool (helping me get seats in the still very crowded pool area and setting the steam room temperature to what I like while I hit the gym) to the club lounge folks and the breakfast people. I found huge improvement in food service this time. Breakfast folks specially prepared a type of fruit for me I like every morning which was very nice. One time they ran out of the yoghurt I like. They told me just a moment. 15 minutes later I asked what happened - they actually sent someone to the store to buy it for me!

I should add the club lounge staff are fabulous. A couple went far out of their way to help me on things. As did the GM.

Overall, a very happy stay. I'll come back for sure in 2020.

Pricing wise, it was 4600-5200 a night vs 5500-6000 I was seeing for PA at that time.

I still find PA far more elegant, the pool area and breakfast food superior. But the HR service really has been great. And I love the location as just so easy to walk anywhere for food.

This and PA are my two go twos now in BKK. As long as I'm trying to re qualify for Globalist this property will get the bulk of my BKK stays.
Old Dec 11, 2019, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just finished another stay here of almost 2 weeks. My review as above still stands. Only difference is I think the service is excellent now and maybe better than my old standby PA. Might be because I have stayed so long everyone knows my drink and food preferences by time of day (a little OCD I know but I don't like to make decisions/ changes when it comes to clothes and food)

Staff from pool (helping me get seats in the still very crowded pool area and setting the steam room temperature to what I like while I hit the gym) to the club lounge folks and the breakfast people. I found huge improvement in food service this time. Breakfast folks specially prepared a type of fruit for me I like every morning which was very nice. One time they ran out of the yoghurt I like. They told me just a moment. 15 minutes later I asked what happened - they actually sent someone to the store to buy it for me!

I should add the club lounge staff are fabulous. A couple went far out of their way to help me on things. As did the GM.

Overall, a very happy stay. I'll come back for sure in 2020.

Pricing wise, it was 4600-5200 a night vs 5500-6000 I was seeing for PA at that time.

I still find PA far more elegant, the pool area and breakfast food superior. But the HR service really has been great. And I love the location as just so easy to walk anywhere for food.

This and PA are my two go twos now in BKK. As long as I'm trying to re qualify for Globalist this property will get the bulk of my BKK stays.
Service will definitely improve for a long stay guest and repeat guest. I get pretty much the same doting at GH Erawan so I understand why you enjoy this property so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.