Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2022, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
We had another one night stay on points here on our way to FL. Upgraded to Deluxe Loft on 6th floor. In room minibar is now stocked, after everything was removed the past 2 years. However, the only complementary drinks were 1 bottle of water and 1 Diet Coke. Beer, wine and liquor are the usual high priced minibar items. I much prefer the minibar at Andaz Munich, where everything was complementary.
Shrimp and grits are now my usual breakfast at this hotel, plus orange juice and cappuccino. My wife had 2 eggs and bacon and coffee. Total with tax was $84, I would eat at local restaurant if breakfast wasn't free for Globalist.

The stay was fine for me, but my wife had a real problem with the heavy perfume scent in the lobby and hallways. The scent seeped into our room from the hallway to the point that my wife couldn't sleep. This was our 5th stay since June 2020, and the first time this scent issue was a real problem. I provided this comment in the survey after our stay. I don't know if the hotel will respond. If they can back off on the volume of perfume scent so it's not overpowering, then we will return. If not, then we may have to stay at Hyatt Regency instead. Thompson is a long walk to restaurants.
projectmaximus and CobbFC09 like this.
Old Jul 3, 2022, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
Yes, that SMEG is a retro look fridge. Some rooms/suites have microwave and sink and Keurig coffee machine on the counter which makes it look more like a kitchen.
The photo from soccerjosh appears to also show a two-burner stovetop and vent!
Soccerjoshj07 likes this.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
The stay was fine for me, but my wife had a real problem with the heavy perfume scent in the lobby and hallways. The scent seeped into our room from the hallway to the point that my wife couldn't sleep. This was our 5th stay since June 2020, and the first time this scent issue was a real problem. I provided this comment in the survey after our stay. I don't know if the hotel will respond. If they can back off on the volume of perfume scent so it's not overpowering, then we will return. If not, then we may have to stay at Hyatt Regency instead. Thompson is a long walk to restaurants.
I wrote a note to the GM, who had been very good to us, about the scent in the hallway. We did 4 individual stays over 2 months, and the last stay we noticed the very strong scent that did get into our room. Luckily, we had a balcony and were able to air our the room.

He replied that it was probably because they had just replaced the scent canisters, but would look into it further.

I guess it's still an issue because our last stay was in Feb.
Old Jul 4, 2022, 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I wrote a note to the GM, who had been very good to us, about the scent in the hallway. We did 4 individual stays over 2 months, and the last stay we noticed the very strong scent that did get into our room. Luckily, we had a balcony and were able to air our the room.

He replied that it was probably because they had just replaced the scent canisters, but would look into it further.

I guess it's still an issue because our last stay was in Feb.
Nice to know that you also had noticed and commented on the strong scent. My wife refuses to stay again because of the overpowering scent. I wonder how often they change the canisters. Maybe I need to call before cancellation deadline to ask when they changed the canisters, I personally prefer the Andaz over the Hyatt Regency at Savannah.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Nice to know that you also had noticed and commented on the strong scent. My wife refuses to stay again because of the overpowering scent. I wonder how often they change the canisters. Maybe I need to call before cancellation deadline to ask when they changed the canisters, I personally prefer the Andaz over the Hyatt Regency at Savannah.
I'm not sure, but that was the reason I was given, and it actually makes sense. It was never overpowering the previous 3 stays. It was on the 4th that it got me. I'm going to write the GM another note because it really is too much.
Old Jul 13, 2022, 10:48 pm

Pre-stay email (not really a welcome letter) mentions yoga on Sat morning as well as smores every evening. Are there any other treats or events we should be aware of? Some google reviews mention a free drink at the bar...is that accurate? Thanks!
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by projectmaximus
Pre-stay email (not really a welcome letter) mentions yoga on Sat morning as well as smores every evening. Are there any other treats or events we should be aware of? Some google reviews mention a free drink at the bar...is that accurate? Thanks!
I have never had anything of the sort. There is welcome drink of Sangria or sparkling wine at front desk, not at the bar.
projectmaximus likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:34 pm

I guess I will find out soon enough but I sent the hotel this question about free drinks (recent reviews mention it) and they replied that there is a "free beer and wine tasting from 5-8pm every night."
Old Jul 14, 2022, 10:12 pm

I should probably just wait til after my stay to update this thread, but I took a look at the destination fee inclusions and lo-and-behold this is what is listed (among other things):
  • 2 Daily locally inspired appetizers in 22 square lounge
  • Daily Beer and WineTasting at 22 Square from 5-8pm
  • Round of Bubbles with a 22 Square Dinner Res
  • Daily Sunset S'Mores @ Fire Pit Area
So I guess these are actually included. Although perhaps it may not always be made clear to us globalists staying on awards and therefore not paying a destination fee.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I should probably just wait til after my stay to update this thread, but I took a look at the destination fee inclusions and lo-and-behold this is what is listed (among other things):
So I guess these are actually included. Although perhaps it may not always be made clear to us globalists staying on awards and therefore not paying a destination fee.
That's a very nice substitute for a lounge, and much more generous than when I stayed preCOVID-19. The hotel also has good breakfasts.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 7:09 am

I'm here now, they didn't tell me about this at check-in but I read about it in the app before arrival and asked. It's not available to anyone who booked before April 1st, I'm assuming that's when they added the destination fee. With that said, when I got the apps and beer they didn't even ask for a room number so I almost could've walked in off the street and gotten it lol.

Globalists also get a small liquor mini bottle and two chocolate gopher candy things from Savannah candy kitchen. I use to get a bottle of wine in my room (as recent as February) but I didn't this time, I got chocolate covered strawberries and a note wishing someone else happy anniversary (it's not mine and it's not my name on it) so maybe I got their strawberries and they got my wine?
Old Jul 16, 2022, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
I'm here now, they didn't tell me about this at check-in but I read about it in the app before arrival and asked. It's not available to anyone who booked before April 1st, I'm assuming that's when they added the destination fee. With that said, when I got the apps and beer they didn't even ask for a room number so I almost could've walked in off the street and gotten it lol.

Globalists also get a small liquor mini bottle and two chocolate gopher candy things from Savannah candy kitchen. I use to get a bottle of wine in my room (as recent as February) but I didn't this time, I got chocolate covered strawberries and a note wishing someone else happy anniversary (it's not mine and it's not my name on it) so maybe I got their strawberries and they got my wine?
I did not get the apps and beer during my most recent stay, which was booked after April 1. I also have never gotten a bottle of wine either. I'll need to look into all the details and ask next time.
Old Jul 16, 2022, 1:12 pm

I did not get the apps and beer during my most recent stay, which was booked after April 1. I also have never gotten a bottle of wine either. I'll need to look into all the details and ask next time.
Well they maybe have axed the bottle of wine, I had gotten it previously 4 times I think. The apps and beer/wine you just go to bar say I'm here for the beer tasting and free apps between 5-8
Old Jul 16, 2022, 4:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Well they maybe have axed the bottle of wine, I had gotten it previously 4 times I think. The apps and beer/wine you just go to bar say I'm here for the beer tasting and free apps between 5-8
Do you have a choice of appetizers or do they just bring the two appetizers of the day? I assume it's not an appetizer buffet with two choices.
Old Jul 17, 2022, 12:22 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Do you have a choice of appetizers or do they just bring the two appetizers of the day? I assume it's not an appetizer buffet with two choices.
Alright so I had my one-night stay with the fam. Standard 2Q booked using a FNC, upgraded day before to a Terrace View Queen which ended up probably being one of the worst views in the hotel. No worries though, it was a pretty busy Friday night.

Did not notice any strong fragrance, and I usually notice such things. Received a small welcome bag at check-in with the mini-bottle of liquor (whiskey I think, but I didn't look carefully and gave it away lol) and two gopher sweets as mentioned above. Stopped by the bar at the lounge to ask about the beer/wine tasting plus apps and was shown a limited drink menu (one local beer, one red wine blend, one white wine blend) and a limited apps menu (told to pick two). We ended up going with the red blend, beer, shrimp & grit hushpuppies, and chicken and waffles. Additional apps are available to order for $11. Drinks were small pours and very meh, apps were decent but I wouldn't pay money for 'em. I left a cash tip and was thanked by the server (mention this simply because of breakfast service the next day) Forgot about the s'mores at the fire pit so no idea how that was.

Room was nice. No complaints other than the view being disappointing. Personally I found the beds to be quite comfortable, and I always like lots of pillows (room came with 8) which generally means we'll find a few we like. Pool looks swanky, although in the evening there were a ton of giant cockroaches roaming about. Location of hotel is also great...close enough to River St, but also positioned in walking distance to a fair number of sites farther west.

Saturday morning yoga was on, my wife said it was pretty basic stretching. Breakfast was not a great experience. 15 minute wait to be seated (fair enough. small restaurant, should have anticipated this) After sitting, we were ready to order immediately but did not have any servers stop by. Two servers passed near us about 7 times, a few of those literally inches from us, and almost seemed to intentionally ignore us. Two tables sat after us and were served water, took orders, etc. Finally after another 15 minutes of being seated, I got up and went to speak with someone...and a third server finally came by, apologizing profusely, and taking care of us. However, after ordering, it was ~50 minutes til we received our food. We were literally the only holdovers from breakfast time. One couple with a baby had sat down, eaten a quick lunch, and left before we got our food. Anyway, it kinda sucked in that respect. On the bright side, the food was good (I wouldn't rave about it but it was fine) we hit $120 total after tip which is the most I've ever charged on a glob breakfast for my family of four, and it was wiped from the folio without prompting. Same with the valet parking fee of $42. Late checkout for 4pm had been proactively offered but we decided to pack it up at 1pm and leave bags with the FDAs. We had no issues retrieving the bags or the car from valet at 7pm.

So all in all, nothing to really complain about. However at checkout the agent did ask how everything was, so we mildly mentioned how unbelievably long the breakfast service was. She responded by immediately saying that yes, there were a lot of issues this morning and she was very sorry for this (followed by a few explanations that honestly didn't really make sense). Finally she said, for the inconvenience, she had credited us with 5k Hyatt points. We were quite surprised since we didn't make much issue of it in front of her, but I'm assuming they had already dealt with other complaints so this is what they were doing. (Any idea how/when we'll see those points?)

Alright that's about it. Not expecting to return to Savannah anytime soon, but will probably choose this hotel again on award if redemptions/pricing stay the same.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.