Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2018, 1:24 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WOH - Globalist, HHonors - Gold, Marriott - Gold
Just finished a 3 night stay at Andaz Savannah. To sum up the experience - this property is not branded appropriately, and is not worthy of the "Andaz" moniker. It would be a fine Hyatt Centric, but the level of service and amenities is nowhere near the Andaz expectations.

First, the good stuff:
- Location is awesome, right by the City Market and a block from the river, right on Ellis Square.
- Cocktails at the bar are great, and the bartenders are excellent.
- Staff members are generally friendly and try to be accommodating (not always very successfully).
- Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks (a bag of chips/breakfast bar) are free and replenished daily.

Now, not so good stuff:
- Mostly clueless/inexperienced front desk personnel. No recognition of status until reminded, and multiple, albeit minor, service failures that are not commensurate with the Andaz brand.
- Breakfast buffet is more akin to a Hyatt Place/Hyatt House in its variety (or lack thereof). The made to order eggs are good, and the quality of food is pretty decent, but lack of common breakfast items (such as smoked fish or bagels) is unusual for a property of this caliber.
- Standard rooms are tiny, and showers are claustrophobic and have no doors.
- Rooms are "musty" even with the A/C running - could be the humidity in Savannah, I suppose.
- Concierge desk cannot charge activities to the room.

This is probably still the better of two Hyatt properties in Savannah, and it's not bad, it just not really an Andaz. It really reminds me of Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf, but with smaller rooms.
Old Oct 9, 2018, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by sch_flyer
Just finished a 3 night stay at Andaz Savannah. To sum up the experience - this property is not branded appropriately, and is not worthy of the "Andaz" moniker. It would be a fine Hyatt Centric, but the level of service and amenities is nowhere near the Andaz expectations.

First, the good stuff:
- Location is awesome, right by the City Market and a block from the river, right on Ellis Square.
- Cocktails at the bar are great, and the bartenders are excellent.
- Staff members are generally friendly and try to be accommodating (not always very successfully).
- Non-alcoholic beverages and snacks (a bag of chips/breakfast bar) are free and replenished daily.

Now, not so good stuff:
- Mostly clueless/inexperienced front desk personnel. No recognition of status until reminded, and multiple, albeit minor, service failures that are not commensurate with the Andaz brand.
- Breakfast buffet is more akin to a Hyatt Place/Hyatt House in its variety (or lack thereof). The made to order eggs are good, and the quality of food is pretty decent, but lack of common breakfast items (such as smoked fish or bagels) is unusual for a property of this caliber.
- Standard rooms are tiny, and showers are claustrophobic and have no doors.
- Rooms are "musty" even with the A/C running - could be the humidity in Savannah, I suppose.
- Concierge desk cannot charge activities to the room.

This is probably still the better of two Hyatt properties in Savannah, and it's not bad, it just not really an Andaz. It really reminds me of Hyatt Centric Fisherman's Wharf, but with smaller rooms.
Stayed 1 night in April 2018 and had very similar experience. I strongly agree this property must be rebranded to a Centric.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 4:05 pm
formerly smoaky

Has anybody been here since they evidently renovated it in the past year? Noticed some pictures that made it seem nicer but wasn't sure.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:32 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Just completed a 3-night stay for the 4th of July weekend; overall, pretty good experience! As noted above, this property has been completely renovated in the last year. From what we experienced, the renovations are overall very positive!

As a Globalist, even on a holiday weekend, we ended up in an "Andaz Suite" as we have many times in the past. These rooms were always very nice, but they look even better post-renovation! The Living Area in the Andaz Suite has been brought new life; the carpets have been replaced with faux-wood tiles that look amazing. All of the furniture has been replaced; the couch is brand new and comfortable, along with a modern chair and ottoman. Across from the couch, the old television has been replaced with a brand new 55" Samsung television that sits above a modern-looking fake fireplace and mantle. The old and clunky work desk has been replaced with a larger and more modern high-top table with two chairs that provides more room for working or eating. New modern light-figures have been added throughout the living area, which provides much more light than used to be in the room. Additionally, all of the new lights include full power sockets, allowing plenty of charging options. The bedroom includes a new large dresser, topped by another new 55" Samsung television along with a brand new plush Hyatt bed. On either side of the bed, you will find modern lamps -- works of art involving monkeys -- each of which were well thought out, including two power outlets and two USB charging slots. Such an addition was much needed and provides plenty of charging options. Finally, the room has a brand new coat of paint, new wallpaper all new artwork. All-in-all, so truly well thought-out renovations which bring new life to the Andaz Suite.

The one downside to the new design is bathroom lighting. The wall just inside the bathroom still has three switches, however the center switch -- which had always been a dimmer switch -- has been replaced with a motion detector style switch. While motion sensors are great, this sensor does not have an option to completely turn it off. Yes, you can hit the button and it will turn off the sensor for a brief period, but not permanently. So, you think you have turned off the sensor but then one person gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and all the lights snap on from the motion. A bit annoying, but that honestly appears to be the only major design flaw.

Oh -- for those of you who were fans of the amazing local Savannah Grape Seeds Preserve bath products, those have unfortunately been replaced. The new product is from Gilchrist & Soames and is called "Low Country Luxe." We found the scent of this new product to be a bit unusual and were not fans. If you are sensitive to strong scents, you may wish to bring your own bath products.

As for the service issues noted above, yes, there continue to be a few minor issues -- mostly with housekeeping. However, the property has a new General Manager, and she is very receptive to comments. She seems truly concerned about the customer experience and about Globalist recognition. Additionally, she seems dedicated to making the property the best in Savannah, and the Andaz Savannah certainly remains the best Hyatt option in the area!
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by AttorneyVin
Just completed a 3-night stay for the 4th of July weekend; overall, pretty good experience! As noted above, this property has been completely renovated in the last year. From what we experienced, the renovations are overall very positive!

As a Globalist, even on a holiday weekend, we ended up in an "Andaz Suite" as we have many times in the past. These rooms were always very nice, but they look even better post-renovation! The Living Area in the Andaz Suite has been brought new life; the carpets have been replaced with faux-wood tiles that look amazing. All of the furniture has been replaced; the couch is brand new and comfortable, along with a modern chair and ottoman. Across from the couch, the old television has been replaced with a brand new 55" Samsung television that sits above a modern-looking fake fireplace and mantle. The old and clunky work desk has been replaced with a larger and more modern high-top table with two chairs that provides more room for working or eating. New modern light-figures have been added throughout the living area, which provides much more light than used to be in the room. Additionally, all of the new lights include full power sockets, allowing plenty of charging options. The bedroom includes a new large dresser, topped by another new 55" Samsung television along with a brand new plush Hyatt bed. On either side of the bed, you will find modern lamps -- works of art involving monkeys -- each of which were well thought out, including two power outlets and two USB charging slots. Such an addition was much needed and provides plenty of charging options. Finally, the room has a brand new coat of paint, new wallpaper all new artwork. All-in-all, so truly well thought-out renovations which bring new life to the Andaz Suite.

The one downside to the new design is bathroom lighting. The wall just inside the bathroom still has three switches, however the center switch -- which had always been a dimmer switch -- has been replaced with a motion detector style switch. While motion sensors are great, this sensor does not have an option to completely turn it off. Yes, you can hit the button and it will turn off the sensor for a brief period, but not permanently. So, you think you have turned off the sensor but then one person gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night and all the lights snap on from the motion. A bit annoying, but that honestly appears to be the only major design flaw.

Oh -- for those of you who were fans of the amazing local Savannah Grape Seeds Preserve bath products, those have unfortunately been replaced. The new product is from Gilchrist & Soames and is called "Low Country Luxe." We found the scent of this new product to be a bit unusual and were not fans. If you are sensitive to strong scents, you may wish to bring your own bath products.

As for the service issues noted above, yes, there continue to be a few minor issues -- mostly with housekeeping. However, the property has a new General Manager, and she is very receptive to comments. She seems truly concerned about the customer experience and about Globalist recognition. Additionally, she seems dedicated to making the property the best in Savannah, and the Andaz Savannah certainly remains the best Hyatt option in the area!
This sounds like a description of the suite I had here a year ago, although I don't remember the toiletries.

BTW, most of the hotels in town seem to use the same contract "concierge" service and the employees view the purpose of their job as to sell tours. I tried to ask about the airport bus stop locations and the person claimed not to have ever known that there is an airport bus. I'm not sure whether the hotel pays for them or whether the company pays hotels for permitting them to have a desk in the lobby, but they're certainly not genuine concierges in any sense--they're just tour bus ticket sellers. It's disgraceful.
beltway likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm glad to hear about the renovations. I'm an Explorist and have a couple of free night certs capped at Cat. 4 so this hotel seems like a reasonable place to use them. The free night certs are a bit odd if you're an Explorist as you can't combine them with an upgrade to lounge access (even though you can combine a free night on points with a lounge upgrade cert!). There's no lounge here, right? If so, it's a good place to dump my free night certs as I won't be "losing anything." I assume it's pleasant to stay "downtown" in Savannah -- I haven't visited in decades! Is there any place to park that's affordable? I'll need a car once I leave the Andaz for Hilton Head and such. I assume that I don't really need a car when I'm at the hotel? That said, I'd rather just pick up the car at the airport and skip Uber or such unless parking fees are high.

BTW, are there any freebie "guest experiences" you can sign up for? We were at the Maui Andaz, and enjoyed the free bartending course and water activities.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The hotel has valet parking at the door and there's a big parking garage across the street. That's what I remember.

There's also a cheap but infrequent daytime public airport bus that stops almost at the door. Within the historic area, there are a couple free tourist bus routes. IME they weren't frequent enough to be useful beyond jumping on if one sees the bus in order to save a bit of walking, although I recall looking at schedules for a trip down to the park and market (with a cool historic hotel and art gallery that seems like a good place for a drink or lunch).

No lounge, in fact I can't think of an Andaz that does have a lounge. There's a little self serve "kitchen" tucked into a corner of the lobby that offers free self service coffee, bottled water, etc. I was offered a glass of wine upon arrival; I'm not sure whether that was due to my Glob status but it looked to me like everyone was given this. I've had free nonalcoholic minibars in some Andaz properties, but again this might be a Glob benefit or it might be for everyone.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The hotel has valet parking at the door and there's a big parking garage across the street. That's what I remember.

There's also a cheap but infrequent daytime public airport bus that stops almost at the door. Within the historic area, there are a couple free tourist bus routes. IME they weren't frequent enough to be useful beyond jumping on if one sees the bus in order to save a bit of walking, although I recall looking at schedules for a trip down to the park and market (with a cool historic hotel and art gallery that seems like a good place for a drink or lunch).

No lounge, in fact I can't think of an Andaz that does have a lounge. There's a little self serve "kitchen" tucked into a corner of the lobby that offers free self service coffee, bottled water, etc. I was offered a glass of wine upon arrival; I'm not sure whether that was due to my Glob status but it looked to me like everyone was given this. I've had free nonalcoholic minibars in some Andaz properties, but again this might be a Glob benefit or it might be for everyone.
Thanks. Yeah, I don't think Andaz properties have "lounges." I was looking at the hotel's amenities on the Hyatt website before I booked, and I think everyone gets a free welcome drink and non-alcoholic drinks and snacks in the room. That seems to be the Andaz brand's calling card. I did get a nice free suite upgrade earlier this year at the Andaz Maui (after they first tried to upsell it to me!), so maybe the same thing will happen in Savannah. Otherwise, there aren't any real published perks that I can get as a mere Explorist. Of course, that's somewhat of the appeal of the hotel for me to use my free room nights: I won't be missing out on any perks!
Old Dec 9, 2019, 10:04 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
+1 and I had a very nice stay here this past weekend.

I booked an Andaz Loft and we were assigned one on the third floor, overlooking Ellis Square. There's a review of this hotel and the loft on Lucky's blog; I found it very useful to set my pre-arrival expectations and my experiences generally match the photos and observations that he posted. I'll note that our room snacks were a bag of the Miss Vickie's Chips and a Kashi granola bar. Also, the drinks in our mini fridge didn't have any booze (this was fine; only the non-alcoholic beverages were free). I liked the overall layout of the room; our friend was in the one bedroom suite and I didn't find it to be significantly larger than the Loft; just laid out a bit differently. The significant differences was a larger seating area in the living room and an open floorplan in the kitchen area and, of course, a separate bedroom. The suite lacks the high table that the loft has and also has a mini-diswasher where the loft has a full-sized one. There was some street noise that came through the French doors leading out to the small balcony. We were offered two free cocktails at checkin (we didn't partake given the late hour) and didn't have any issue getting a 2 pm checkout for our Explorist perk.

I self-parked in the Whitaker Street Garage; there's two banks of elevators; one will put you into Ellis Square diagonally across from the hotel and the other is on Bryan Street, just next to the hotel. Parking for the first day (in Saturday around 1 am and out Saturday around 10 am) was $10 and on the second day (in Saturday around 11:30 am and out Sunday around 2 pm) was $5.

The location of the property is really great in relation to all of the restaurants and shops in the Historic District; despite my affinity for The Brice (Kimpton), I'd certainly stay here again and agree it's a good option for burning a Cat 1-4 cert.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 9, 2019 at 12:22 pm
Old Sep 28, 2020, 11:05 am

We stayed here over the summer in an Andaz Suite. Loved the room the only negative was that the balcony was loud due to the AC right outside. I booked the Andaz suite 2 nights then used 3 free nights for the rest of my stay and the staff let us keep the suite for our remaining 3 nights. (I'm a Globalist so I'm guessing that helped) The location of this hotel has to be the best in Savannah. I'd highly recommend staying here if your in town.
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by Tonyr4
We stayed here over the summer in an Andaz Suite. Loved the room the only negative was that the balcony was loud due to the AC right outside. I booked the Andaz suite 2 nights then used 3 free nights for the rest of my stay and the staff let us keep the suite for our remaining 3 nights. (I'm a Globalist so I'm guessing that helped) The location of this hotel has to be the best in Savannah. I'd highly recommend staying here if your in town.
Is the hotel restaurant open for breakfast at the moment? I assume valet is open? I'll be there next weekend. Thanks
Old Sep 30, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
Is the hotel restaurant open for breakfast at the moment? I assume valet is open? I'll be there next weekend. Thanks
We were there in late June the restaurant was open for breakfast and then for dinner on the weekends. The valet was open as well. There are lots of great restaurants near the hotel.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:35 am

Completed a 2 night stay last month on cash + points. Valet parking was waived and we were upgraded to one of the 'loft suites' (as Globalists) which came in very handy having a little kitchen area to make coffee in the morning.... also breakfast was mostly order and pick up from the restaurant which was fine with me (there were a few tables where you could eat inside but no outdoor tables). Overall a nice stay with very friendly and accommodating staff... if anyone has any questions, please let me know!
Old Jan 15, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, JL JGC, Hyatt Glob
Just finished a 3 night stay here. Overall a very pleasant stay. Was given an Ellis Square suite at check in. Breakfast for globalist was order whatever you want from menu. Interestingly, I had the shrimp and grits 2 of the 3 mornings, and they were prepared differently by different chefs. Both were good, but were noticeably different dishes. Location of the hotel is nice, and within walking distance to everything in downtown Savannah.

One potential negative- Andaz properties (at least the ones I've stayed in thus far) normally have non alcoholic drinks/snacks complimentary in the rooms. I was given a sheet at check in stating that this has changed due to covid. Water, soda (only sprite and coke), and granola bars can be requested from the front desk I was told. There is a very nice setup by the front desk with trail mix, nuts, cookies, kind bars, popcorn, chips, beef jerky, sparkling water, naked juice and everything else but the kitchen sink. All of them were chargeable
Old Jan 15, 2021, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by incognitoMD
Just finished a 3 night stay here. Overall a very pleasant stay. Was given an Ellis Square suite at check in. Breakfast for globalist was order whatever you want from menu. Interestingly, I had the shrimp and grits 2 of the 3 mornings, and they were prepared differently by different chefs. Both were good, but were noticeably different dishes. Location of the hotel is nice, and within walking distance to everything in downtown Savannah.

One potential negative- Andaz properties (at least the ones I've stayed in thus far) normally have non alcoholic drinks/snacks complimentary in the rooms. I was given a sheet at check in stating that this has changed due to covid. Water, soda (only sprite and coke), and granola bars can be requested from the front desk I was told. There is a very nice setup by the front desk with trail mix, nuts, cookies, kind bars, popcorn, chips, beef jerky, sparkling water, naked juice and everything else but the kitchen sink. All of them were chargeable
I had a similar experience with the shrimp and grits in October one was much soupier than the other both very good (first was better), was yours a weekend stay or weekday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.