Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2024, 7:04 am

We stayed here in 2 rooms as a family of 5 over the weekend, was automatically upgraded to suite with a connected double queen room which met our needs perfectly. Room and hotel was overall nice and clean. I called the night before to let them know we would be arriving early and just wanted to make sure we could park the car and leave our bags if needed. We ended up getting there really early (8:15am). Front desk was a bit surprised but helpful, valet took care of the car while we walked around the riverfront. The first room was ready at 10:30 am so they did a great job making a room quickly available almost 6 hours before standard check in time, we were grateful for that.

I received the standard globalist welcoming bag as others including vodka and candy. One major change is that apparently as of a few weeks ago they no longer offer the nightly drink and appetizer samplings at the bar despite it being included on the globalist welcoming letter. We showed up around 5:30 and asked for the sampling menu. The bartender was confused and stated she thought that ended so I asked if that included globalists as it was stated on the welcoming letter. After disappearing for a few minutes to find someone to ask she came back and said that it has in fact ended for everyone but as a courtesy they would offer 1 appetizer for one night but no drinks. I understand why they moved away from this as it seemed generous to begin with but it was pretty disappointing as I really did loosely plan our nights around this (nice way to get some food in the kids bellies after spending $100+ on every meal). I would have appreciated them fully honoring as it was clearly on the welcoming letter. I later casually inquired at the front desk about it and essentially got a "whoops we gave you the wrong letter)

Location is great. Service was hit or miss, good enough far from exceptional, which always makes the difference between a good and great stay.
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by Jackson12; Mar 4, 2024 at 11:27 am
Old Apr 2, 2024, 9:33 am

I'm staying here in the coming week. I'm using a FNA for the first night and the rest on points. As a Globalist, would I get an upgrade on the FNA or have to wait until I'm using my point nights?
Old Apr 3, 2024, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by noungning
I'm staying here in the coming week. I'm using a FNA for the first night and the rest on points. As a Globalist, would I get an upgrade on the FNA or have to wait until I'm using my point nights?
Well, can't say what will happen when you arrive, but when we stayed a couple years ago we were upgraded for the entire stay on a combo of FNA's and points, no problem. You just can't use a TSU in conjunction with an FNA, but other than that you can still be upgraded per the program terms.

Regards
noungning likes this.
Old Apr 4, 2024, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Well, can't say what will happen when you arrive, but when we stayed a couple years ago we were upgraded for the entire stay on a combo of FNA's and points, no problem. You just can't use a TSU in conjunction with an FNA, but other than that you can still be upgraded per the program terms.

Regards
Ended up getting the first night upgraded to an Ellis Square Suite, but we'll have to move because they didn't realize I have a longer stay and the room isn't available.

​​​​I was also told at check in that breakfast is unlimited and we can "go wild". I'm guessing this isn't true and only good for upto $75 per couple? Unlike previous poster, I did not get a welcome bag nor letter.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:59 am

Just completed a nice stay. Three nights over Easter weekend with 3x FNCs. Got an upgrade to an Ellis Square Suite as globalist.

Service was good, location was great, room was large and clean. Bathroom is a touch dated imo but perfectly functional. On free night certs this is tough to beat. We only ate breakfast one morning but I was happy with it (It's savannah and it's Easter weekend...too many great brunch places!)

My one complaint was that I had an issue connecting my work laptop to the internet in the hotel (which is more of a problem with my work laptop than the hotel internet). In a nutshell my laptop is configured in a way it somtimes has trouble properly getting through a captive portal so I can connect to VPN. But at other hotels where this has happened (most recently the Beekman in NYC and The Swan at WDW) there has been a tech support number and they were able to get me online. There was no such option here so I was just SOL. Had to go to a coffee shop to work on Friday.

On a separate note ... Collins Quarter is a fantastic brunch spot and the Coffee Fox is a great coffee shop (and right around the corner).
Old Apr 12, 2024, 9:27 am

I just finished our stay here. I had a FNC + several nights. The hotel didn't seem to catch that it was longer than the 1 night so they put me in the Ellis Square Suite for 1 night, then moved me to the an Andaz Loft for the remaining nights. The Ellis Square Suite was nice enough, and I agree that the bathroom was dated. The noise was pretty loud because of the construction happening across the street and the balcony happened to be right in front of it. When we moved to the Andaz loft, the balcony was facing Ellis Square so no more construction noise, however the square has loud music late into the night and shuts off around 3am daily. There was 1 night where the music ended around 11pm.

As mentioned previously, we did not get any globalist welcome kit nor letter. However, we did get upgraded to Ellis Square suite for 1 night and Andaz for the other nights. We asked the waiter at the restaurant about the breakfast and she confirmed it was $75 total per room for globalist. The breakfast and service was the highlight of the stay. The food was definitely memorable and the service at that restaurant was the best of this hotel.

The valet service was great, the car system they have set up is speedy and the car comes down in minutes. The guys working the desk are also very courteous. As a globalist, as long as you valet you are still getting it comped.

The cons. After the first night of staying at the Andaz loft, we left our bag of candy from the candy shop on the table that had some candy and souvenirs we bought. That bag was gone when we returned. Thankfully I put the praline I bought in the fridge otherwise that would've been gone too. I've stayed at many Hyatts and theft has never happened even in Mexico where everyone seems to tell me otherwise. I was quite surprised this happened in Savannah of all places but I know it happens anywhere. The housekeeping was just bad. We requested daily housekeeping, somedays our pillows were on the floor? Some days we had 1 towel. No toilet paper replenishment. I've stayed in Hyatt House that had better housekeeping than this.

Overall, I think I'd probably give this hotel at 3/5. The location and breakfast was stellar. Comfort level of the rooms were nice, but it is a bit dated and the noise level is quite high, and the housekeeping service leaves a lot to be desired.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.