Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz (Avia) Savannah REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2022, 3:40 pm

About 2.5 days after checkout, I saw the points in my account. Amazing.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 7:03 pm

My first stay here was last November. I loved the location and it was a nice entry for me to discover the Andaz brand. However, the covid restrictions resulted in amenties and activities being cut. So I was excited to come back so i could get the full experience.

I booked 1 king bed at 11am on points. By 3pm I was upgraded to andaz suite in the app. Check in went great but I was dumped with a tremendous amount of info about the hours of the bar and restaurant. Apparently smores by the pool, free wine and beer, and 2 free appetizers. The whole spiel was pretty jarring. I was thanked for being for a hyatt member twice. I was also given a goodie bag for being a globalist. It had vodka distilled in Savannah and 2 chocolate. Lastly, I was offered 4pm late checkout.

The suite was roomy with a pullout sofa bed and a door separating the living room to the bedroom. The view out the balcony was of the pool and some other building nothing special. The mini fridge was stocked with a bunch of soda, juice, and water all complimentary except the booze.

I wasn't explained what the specifics of the globalist breakfast were. I kinda just ordered normally and charged it to my room. I checked out immediately after my meal and the bill was actively wiped from the folio.

All in all I enjoyed my 2nd stay at the Andaz Savannah I would definitely return and hope to make my next visit longer.
wb2020 likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I had to convince my wife to give Andaz Savannah another try so I can use my cat 1-4 cert that will expire in mid October. I called the hotel a few days earlier to discuss the fragrance issue and was told that the rooms at the end of the hall would be furthest from the diffuser, so a note was placed on my reservation for end of the hall, rooms ending in 1, 2 or 3.

The fragrance level in the lobby and bar area was quite strong, so my wife avoided lingering in the lobby or the bar. Our upgraded Andaz Suite was at the end of the hall and fragrance level was acceptable to my wife. There was a plate of macarons and meringue on the table, first time for my many stays.

Globalist welcome at the Bar is 1 drink per person (or 2 per room if you take out) and 2 appetizers per room (guy next to me at the bar ordered 2 appetizers for himself).

We noticed fire alarm had very bright LED flash every 15 seconds that my wife could actually see through her eyelids. We were told that GA requires hotel fire alarms to flash at regular intervals and recently changed the light to LED. Whoever in GA set the requirements must not have tested the LED lights in pitch black room and see that the brightness is a real problem for most people. The flashing light is not noticeable during daylight.

Hotel occupancy was the lowest since we stated staying there since June 2020, Room rate was ~$145, and ow season 12K points. I would have paid cash if I didn't need to. use my cert,

Andaz is still my preferred Hyatt property at Savannah. I'm glad my wife didn't say we're never coming back there after this stay.
MSPeconomist, 59Impala and wb2020 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2022, 10:28 am

Hotel took our concern for fragrance very seriously. When we returned after dinner, front desk agent asked us if we wanted to move to a different hotel, I appreciated the gesture, but declined the offer. Director of Operations Ty came over after we finished breakfast to chat about the fragrance and fire alarm light issues. The offer to move hotel was obviously suggested by Ty, and I think that also helped convince my wife to return to Andaz Savannah.
59Impala likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP; DL Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist (marriage perk)
We had a nice stay there last weekend. We initially booked it in August but then cancelled a week before b/c of the hurricane. Then since the hurricane decided to hit SC rather than GA coast we rebooked again on 9/29. Both bookings were available with certificates that we had to burn.

It's a nice hotel overall but definitely no a luxury experience that you'd get at other Andaz hotels like London, Munich, or Tokyo. We got upgraded to their base suite overlooking the Ellis Square. These suites are awkward with a lot of wasted space at the entrance to the room. The minibar soft drinks were free but were not restocked the second day. Toiletries were Balmain which we like (GH DFW also has them) but at check in they left used ones in the shower; literally like half empty after previous guests so we had to call housekeeping to bring us few more. As much as I appreciate lower environmental impact of leaving used toiletries in the room it felt cheap. Toiletries were also not restocked the next day so we had to call again. Globalist gift was cookies and 2 x 50 ml of booze (1 whisky & 1 vodka). Cookies were delicious and booze was of good quality. FWIW, no issues with the fragrance/smell.

There is happy hour for globalists where they give you two glasses of wine or two glasses of beer. Glasses are small and plastic rather than actual glass. Breakfast is great. Just choose anything within a reason and they will wipe it off the bill. Food is good but the service is extremely slow; even for the Southern standards. The first day it took us over an hour to get through the breakfast. Valet is really annoying and if you're on points you have to use valet i.e., if you choose to self park they will not provide this for free which is silly imo. We really hate the concept of valet and the constant nudging to tip your valet frustrated us even more. At least in Andaz LA they just allowed us to self park.

It was my wife's birthday during our stay but there was no recognition of this whatsoever even from a front desk that was checking us in. We chose this hotel b/c it felt like the most luxury option outside of Atlanta where we had to be during her b-day (we were not willing to pay $700 for the Ritz by the lake) but it definitely did not feel either luxury or special.

Overall, a solid mid-range hotel with good hard product. If you have to be in Savannah then this feels like a good option but really don't expect anything special. I'd say service-wise it is what you will generally experience in the South US - everyone is extremely (overly) nice on the surface but underneath there is not much genuineness or caring or efficiency.
Old Oct 9, 2022, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I was in the same suite location (x26) this past Friday night. I arrived at noon and was surprised that the room was ready, given the sky high rates I figured that the hotel would have been full the night before. I was burning an expiring Cat 1-4 certificate, so I decamped out to the airport on Saturday rather than pay $300+ just to sleep.

I can see why some people compare it to a Hyatt Place but it's much nicer. I would compare it more to a Kimpton. For traveling alone the layout was fine. The bed was very comfortable and the open shower actually worked fine because they have the spigot on the side wall. The motion detected nightlight at your feet in the bed frame was a pleasant surprise as was the motion/timer bathroom light.

The breakfast space was much smaller than I expected. The shrimp & grits were tasty and a darker sauce than I'm used to, but way too salty. I got charged for the extra gratuity I left. With the late Globalist checkout, I had time to pick up a pasty and a sausage roll (both excellent) from the British Pie shop a block away and bring them back to the room for a late lunch.

The only flaw in the stay was a big noisy crowd in Ellis Square around 1am. I couldn't tell if it was music or political protest. I'm a heavy sleeper so for it to wake me up was something.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 4:03 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Seems we were here the same weekend, ckin 8 Oct for 2 nights. One night on points, 2nd night using a Cat1-4. rates were around 450-500$, so a great use. Interestingly, 1st night (Saturday) was 15k and 2nd was 18k, so used the cert on the 2nd night.

upgraded to Andaz Suite 620 with view on Ellis Square and balcony. I am not a big fan of the Andaz brand, but we really liked this hotel. Maybe because it is not a typical Andaz, felt more like a Centric IMHO.

Breakfast on day 1 was good. I had to try the Shrimp&Grits others have mentioned and yes, it was fantastic. 2nd day breakfast was just ok. We were in the breakfast room at 7, 2 other parties there. We ordered Blueberry pancakes and parfait for my wife, and poached eggs. It took almost 40 minutes to serve! Way too long. When asked by the Chef de Service, if all ok, I mentioned the slow service. He appologized.

we liked the room, comfy bed. Free mini bar except for alcohol, which was a nice touch. but also not restocked

Contrary to the previous poster, we do not like the motion sensors in the bathroom and bed frame way too bright light. And there is no option to turn that off.

staff are all extremely friendly, great valet service.

would certainly return again.

I saw valet and breakfast charges in the app. Breakfast was removed prior to checkout. Valet not, but was removed upon checkout. I just mentioned „charges that should not be there“ and the FDA knew what to do without issues.

no issues with smell, either.

Last edited by 59Impala; Oct 11, 2022 at 4:11 am
Old Oct 18, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Prior reviews do a good job summarizing the property and benefits. Which was good because some of the (otherwise friendly) women working the front desk don't do a good job describing them. As a Globalist staying on points, we were given free valet parking, which would otherwise cost $42. When I stayed here a few years ago without that status, I remember stopping by at the Savannah visitor's center to buy a pass that let me park in the garage -- and any meter in town -- for a deeply discounted flat rate.

We were upgraded to a nice, stylish suite on the top floor that had a living room, kitchenette (strange to me for an Andaz) and a separate bedroom. We were given that small Globalist bag with a couple of local-made liquor miniatures and cookies. We were also offered a welcome drink of champagne or house-made sangria (not sure if that was a Globalist benefit or for everyone).

Later, and I think for everyone, we were offered 2 free appetizers per room and 2 free wine/beers (beers small, wine normal glass) per person at the bar from 5 to 8 pm. Everyone is welcome for free smores at the fire pit from 7 to 8, located on the pool deck. The pool is small but fairly inviting, and would be nice in hot weather.

There are also some free sodas, chips and granola bars in your room. You can get more at the front desk, and they keep a basket there, but it was rarely restocked, so you have to ask.

The Globalist breakfast was good, although a little slow -- and I was glad not to be paying. The famous shrimp & grits was very well executed, but fairly small and $27. The two of us also split a greek yogurt parfait, which was also small. Usually my wife and I pass on lunch after a Globalist breakfast, but not after this meal.

The location of the hotel is good. The best thing to do in Savannah is walk around, and there are 2 great walks basically adjacent to the hotel. The first is to see all the old architecture and pretty, leafy squares in town, and the other is to walk the riverfront. When you walk to the river, stop by the "District" building at the JW Marroitt to see the free art and paintings centered on pirate life.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2022, 9:17 am

First time staying here this past weekend and agree with prior posts about the property and benefits. I'm only Discoverist via the Hyatt credit card and redeemed a free night certificate plus two nights on points for a total of three nights. Booked into 1 King Bed and was upgraded at check-in to a Loft with Eight Sleep™ Experience. The website shows this as a Suite, so that's cool. Was also asked at check-in if I wanted 2:00pm late checkout to which I said yes. Ended up leaving the room on Sunday earlier than that but was happy to see it offered.

The welcome drink of champagne or house-made sangria was available to me, so I'm guessing it's available to everyone staying at the hotel. We opted for the champagne, which tasted fine. After getting the drinks from the front desk we headed over to the bar. The bartender gave us the free draft beer pour despite it being past 8:00pm. We didn't realize it was a thing until we got to talking about how it was our first stay the hotel. She ended up asking us if we wanted it to which we agreed. I'm guessing this was due to things being slow considering it was a Thursday night after 9:00pm and us being two of four total people there.

Didn't have breakfast at the hotel as there's plenty of options nearby so can't comment on that. We parked in the Whitaker Street Parking Garage and the total was $36 having left the garage just one time so I'd certainly recommend that over the absurd price per day of valet parking. No issues with the stay and will certainly be coming back.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:47 pm

We stayed here twice, using my Cat 1-4 verts that were expiring in March, during the past week on our way to/from FL. I emailed Guest Relations Manager Ty before our trip and he arranged for us to stay at the same Andaz Suite at the end of the hall, away from the elevator where the fragrance dispensers are located. My wife did not mention anything about the fragrance on this trip, which is good.

Globalist breakfast is now $75, which is a change. Our total for morning was $69 and $70 before gratuities. I signed the receipts and just wrote Globalist gratuity on the tip line. Online checkout the first stay had a $15+ breakfast charge. Front desk promptly remove the charge when I mentioned it when checking out. I did not check online bill the second time, front desk checked me out with $0 invoice. Valet parking appears to be $45 now, which was free since I was staying on award certs. Valet parking plus breakfast together is a $120 benefits for Globalists on award stays.

This hotel will continue to be my go to standard whenever we drive to FL to see our daughter.
59Impala likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by CIT85
We stayed here twice, using my Cat 1-4 verts that were expiring in March, during the past week on our way to/from FL. I emailed Guest Relations Manager Ty before our trip and he arranged for us to stay at the same Andaz Suite at the end of the hall, away from the elevator where the fragrance dispensers are located. My wife did not mention anything about the fragrance on this trip, which is good.

Globalist breakfast is now $75, which is a change. Our total for morning was $69 and $70 before gratuities. I signed the receipts and just wrote Globalist gratuity on the tip line. Online checkout the first stay had a $15+ breakfast charge. Front desk promptly remove the charge when I mentioned it when checking out. I did not check online bill the second time, front desk checked me out with $0 invoice. Valet parking appears to be $45 now, which was free since I was staying on award certs. Valet parking plus breakfast together is a $120 benefits for Globalists on award stays.

This hotel will continue to be my go to standard whenever we drive to FL to see our daughter.
This property actually gives globalists free parking on paid stays too which is very generous.
noungning, iluvdoco and 59Impala like this.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 5:55 pm

Originally Posted by parrotheadmjb
This property actually gives globalists free parking on paid stays too which is very generous.
I've never tried parking with paid rate since I'm not sure if free parking for Globalist is a hotel standard vs dependent on front desk agent. I've been tempted to go with paid rate when it was around $153.
Old Feb 28, 2023, 6:44 pm

Hotel contacted me after I checked out to inform me that someone had backed into my car overnight in the garage. I checked out about 10 minutes before they tried to get hold of me at the hotel. They provided photos of the driver holding his driver's license, insurance card, damage to my car's front bumper, and police report., everything I need to contact my insurance company about the incident. The damage was not excessive, but the front bumper was cracked and has to be replaced. Modern bumpers with sensors are expensive. It appear that a valet may have witnessed the event, called police, took pictures of everything necessary for a complete report. If there had not been any witnesses, it's questionable if the driver would have voluntarily reported the incident . That's what I call a valet parking experience worth the price.
Tino, 59Impala and Smiley90 like this.
Old Mar 1, 2023, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Originally Posted by CIT85
Hotel contacted me after I checked out to inform me that someone had backed into my car overnight in the garage. I checked out about 10 minutes before they tried to get hold of me at the hotel. They provided photos of the driver holding his driver's license, insurance card, damage to my car's front bumper, and police report., everything I need to contact my insurance company about the incident. The damage was not excessive, but the front bumper was cracked and has to be replaced. Modern bumpers with sensors are expensive. It appear that a valet may have witnessed the event, called police, took pictures of everything necessary for a complete report. If there had not been any witnesses, it's questionable if the driver would have voluntarily reported the incident . That's what I call a valet parking experience worth the price.
Definitely. Sorry it happened, but it's good to hear you have all the info needed to file with the insurance company.
Old Dec 2, 2023, 2:54 pm

On a 2 night stay here. I've been traveling to Savannah for years. For a while, I gave my business to the Regency because it was a very consistent property, and the Globalist treatment was really good. The Andaz, for a while, was considered sort of a "fake" Andaz, almost like it wasn't worthy of the logo. I had actually heard recently that the Andaz had gotten their act together, and unfortunately the Regency has kind of gone downhill post-pandemic. The city itself has really changed over the last decade. Savannah used to be more of a family tourist destination in the 90's and early 2000's. Since 2010, it has really morphed into a hen/stag party destination, and you have to deal with all the added headaches when you come here due to that reality. I still like to come for nostalgic reasons.

Andaz is great. The front desk greeting was top notch. Upgraded to a deluxe loft, which is very nice and not as dated as you'd assume. Everything in room works well and I have no complaints. The pillows are not supportive. I asked for a foam pillow from the FD and was given a much more supportive one. Thank goodness. Typical Andaz soft-medium beds. Not as soft as Andaz 5th Ave, which is wayyy too soft. The breakfast here is the highlight. Really very good and better than I expected. Staff all seems quite nice. They have a concierge, which you don't always see in a city like this. Definitely worth staying here at the current rates. I think there is new management here that genuinely fixed up this property. I used to hear a lot of bad stories about it but my stay has been incredibly flawless.

My parents also have a GOH stay here and they were also given the same upgrade. They love it, however something weird happened at breakfast. They got their bill, and I guess they tipped $10. Their waiter decided to lightly hint that they could tip $17 before they hit the $75 Globalist cap on their bill, and they actually brought them a second check to fill out. I was only here for maybe half of this interaction. My parents were incredibly confused. I filled out the bill for $17 tip and signed it. It did not bother me. But I can imagine some people would be furious.

The Thompson is lovely, but location wise, it stinks. Sorry, but it's true. You will do A LOT of walking from the Thompson. This has an excellent location.
noungning and Biggie Fries like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.