Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hyatt Regency San Francisco - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:15 pm

Does anyone have the GM of this property's email? Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by portlandexpos04
Does anyone have the GM of this property's email? Thanks in advance.
[email protected]
Old Feb 13, 2012, 5:19 pm

Thanks!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gld, Hyatt Plat
Trip Report: Feb 20-25, 2012

Just completed a 5 day stay at the HR San Francisco. I have to admit that the main reason I wanted to stay here was the location and the Regency Club for my companion. I was attending a conference in the Moscone, which was about a 15 minute easy walk. Called ahead of time to use my diamond upgrade to a suite without any problems. Following my fellow FT'ers advice, I parked next door at Embarcadero #4 (a mix shopping mall/office complex) which is attached to the Hyatt but costs $32/24 hours, as opposed to $50 at the hotel. Only needed to park for one night - a car really isn't needed because the Muni/BART station is right at the foot of the hotel, along with the famous Rice-A-Roni Cable Cars and bus lines. Check in was swift and I was offered my premiums right away.

Suite was at the end of the hall on the 11th floor and had a main living room, 1.5 bathrooms (the 0.5 bathroom did come equipped with a TV/mirror, main bathroom had a stand-up shower and a separate jacuzzi tub), a smallish bedroom, and a large balcony. Bed seemed a little worn. The room was quiet and the balcony directly faced an office building with views of the bay and ferry building to the right, and views of FiDi to the left.

Regency Club fit the description posted by other FTers on this forum - 360 degree views (a former rotating restaurant) equipped with massage chairs, business center, and great snacks/mini-meals. The staff was always cordial and very nice to chat with.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Recently stayed 4 nights here and another 3-4 nights at the SF Grand Hyatt a couple blocks up Market, so I figured I would compare the two. (Stays were back2back)

Used a suite upgrade at both locations - embarcadero suite (HR)/executive suite (GH).

Rooms:

Overall, the quite at the GH was a significantly nicer room than the embaradero suite. The GH suite had wood floors, two distinct rooms, and two bathrooms - one with a shower and the other with a tub. I thought the home automation lights and automatic shades were something unique. They completely remodeled the whole hotel in the last year and it shows. The HR room was dated and nothing more than a slightly elongated room for their normal king spaces. It did have a better view than most rooms, but I dont believe its really worth the spent cert.

Regency Clubs:

The regency club at the HR Embarcadero was significantly better than the Grand Room @ GH. The Regency club was the top floor that had views in every direction and at least 4-5x the food selection during all meals as the GH's offering, which was 1/4 of the 32nd floor. I did hear while I was at the HR that they will be repurposing that space into a conference area, so I suppose - if true - the regency club there will be significantly downgraded to a lower floor.

Walkability/Location:

Both are almost identical in location since they're like 6 blocks away from eachother. I did like being closer to the piers since all the stuck up people around Union Park's shopping tended to be a bit of a turn off.

Overall, I would probably opt to stay at the GH Union more than the HR Embarcadaro. The enhanced regency club just couldnt overtake the significant remodels at the Grand Hyatt.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by austin_modern

Regency Clubs:

The regency club at the HR Embarcadero was significantly better than the Grand Room @ GH. The Regency club was the top floor that had views in every direction and at least 4-5x the food selection during all meals as the GH's offering, which was 1/4 of the 32nd floor. I did hear while I was at the HR that they will be repurposing that space into a conference area, so I suppose - if true - the regency club there will be significantly downgraded to a lower floor.
Major blow to the HR if this is true. That's the whole reason I go there; for the better food selection and views.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, 2 mm, Marriott Gold
I hope he is confused with the Grand Hyatt. The top floor of the Grand Hyatt is being converted into event space... I don't see how the Regency Club on top of the Hyatt Regency could be used as conference space.. that would be a huge loss as it is one of the best Regency Clubs.

Originally Posted by kenbo
Major blow to the HR if this is true. That's the whole reason I go there; for the better food selection and views.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
I hope he is confused with the Grand Hyatt. The top floor of the Grand Hyatt is being converted into event space... I don't see how the Regency Club on top of the Hyatt Regency could be used as conference space.. that would be a huge loss as it is one of the best Regency Clubs.
+1

A circular conference room would be kind of weird
Old Feb 28, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
+1

A circular conference room would be kind of weird
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by Radiant Flyer
No - I wasnt confusing them. And yes, I do realize that the Grandviews restaurant is being converted as well - however since that isnt a regency space it wouldnt matter for the topic.

Also per the other replies - I never said conference "room." They had mentioned something about event space for conferences.

Again, it was just a conversation several diamonds were having along with hotel staff.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 5:16 pm

Just back from an epic motorcycle trip to MotoGP in Monterey, CA. My husband and I stayed at the SF Regency our second night out... on a diamond suite upgrade. This is my first review and I'm pretty good at being objective. We rolled in around 8:00 pm.

The first thing I heard as we walked in was a door man (? - top hat and long overcoat) complaining to his coworker that there was a group who was returning to their rooms last night, and when he asked how their evening was they said it was the best night of their lives, and then "Can you even believe it, they didn't give me a quarter or nothing!!" which made me think about my tipping technique. I didn't know you were supposed to tip the door man for addressing you. Really bad form... Complain about the patrons on your break where the rest of the patrons can't hear you.

The front desk wasn't feeling cheery, and they were not welcoming. Then again, we were road weary and probably didn't smile much either.

We were put on the 8th floor, and if you went out on the balcony, you could see the pier and bridge. FANTASTIC view! The room you entered into was very cold both in decor and temperature. It wasn't a neo-modern look either... there was just nothing there. 400 SF with a TV, a chair and a couch. There absolutely nothing decorative, except for a stainless vase it looked like they found in a storage closet and placed in on top of a seriously scratched vanity that held the TV. The carpet had a cool design, but was F I L T H Y: multiple coffee (?) stains and something wet, sticky and smelly by the sliding glass doors. The furniture was old and well-used.The rooms were freezing; the AC had been blasting for quite awhile, and the temp in San Fran was no more that 60 F. We couldn't seem to get the place to warm up. And yes, we tried to rally the heater.

Just a heads up for those on a pleasure trip thinking about staying at this Hyatt... It's in the Financial District, and because it's a business oriented area, nothing nearby is really open past 8pm. Fisherman's Wharf or Union area would have been better choices.

Where I'm sure it's probably rare, on another note if anyone else finds themselves riding their motorcycle to this location, there was nowhere on site for us to park our bikes. We were directed to the Embarcadero Parking where we paid a greater price than if we had been able to park at the Hotel (they wouldn't let us park in the same space, therefore we had to pay double). As you're probably aware, the Regency is a steep $57/night to park.

We'll find elsewhere to stay next time we're in San Francisco.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 12:37 am

Arrow Hyatt Regency Embarcadero San Fran Report 8/31/2012

Hyatt Regency San Francisco

Map| 2 Reviews | 100% Recommended

5 Embarcadero Center San Francisco, CA US 94111

Hyatt Regency Embarcadero San Fran Report 8/31/2012 (5 Photos)

Hi all,

Recently joined Hyatt from Hilton. Checked into Hyatt Regency in San Francisco's Embarcadero area this past weekend. Wasn't sure what to expect since some of the reviews here haven't been that great. Thought I would give a quick review:

Service

Used valet overnight @ $57 (yes I know about Embarcadero 4)

Valet and bell man were nice (didn't tip because I didn't have money at the time and no one complained, I usually make it up to them on the return anyway)

Check In

Hotel is impressive, check-in was a breeze, asked about a upgrade to suite, Andy checked offered Embarcadero suite but he said the room they had for me was better, took his recommendation and was checked into room 1621.

Room

Room was clean and even checked the carpets based on what other people have said, can say for sure that they are clean as is the room. View was awesome. Can see the Ferry Building, bay, etc...Happy that we took it.

Dining

Regency Club - amazing...(the reason I choose this vs Grand...where I will be staying soon)... great selection of food, view is unbeatable, 360 degree view.

Location...can't be beat this hotel is across the street from the Ferry Building, near muni and bart...and of course all 4 embarcadero buildings. Check out the Farmer's market in the Ferry building on Sat morning for a great experience. Directly across the hotel is some cheap restaurants, small drug store, fast food. Also occupy wall street stuff by the fed building is not noticeable at all.

Overall

Liked this Hyatt.

Will be staying at the Hyatt Scottsdale next...hopefully that works out too

Pictures make it better:

Hyatt Regency Embarcadero San Fran Report 8/31/2012

Would you like to write a review on the Hyatt Regency San Francisco?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Sep 4, 2012, 1:17 pm

Wondering if anyone can help me with this: used Hyatt gift checks like gift cards for my recent stay at SF hyatt regency (see above). The stay didn't count toward points or as a stay, and the points were not awarded correctly.

I emailed gold passport and this is the response I got. I thought gift cards and checks were good for points and stays. It make me unsure since i give and have received employees incentive gift cards etc and would hate to find out they don't count.

Thanks.
------
Dear mr gravy

Thank you for contacting Hyatt Gold Passport Customer Service. .I
appreciate the opportunity to assist you.

Please allow me to apologize for any inconvenience. .Our records show
your stay was booked using a Hyatt Check Certificate which is not
eligible for Gold Passport credit.

Please let me know if I may assist you further. .Thank you for your
continued support of the Hyatt Gold Passport program.

Sincerely,

Axxxxx xxxxxx
Hyatt Gold Passport Representative
Old Sep 4, 2012, 2:08 pm
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
Originally Posted by puregravy
Wondering if anyone can help me with this: used Hyatt gift checks like gift cards for my recent stay at SF hyatt regency (see above). The stay didn't count toward points or as a stay, and the points were not awarded correctly.

I emailed gold passport and this is the response I got. I thought gift cards and checks were good for points and stays. It make me unsure since i give and have received employees incentive gift cards etc and would hate to find out they don't count.
You should go back to GP-- this would not be the first time there is confusion on their end re this issue.

Hyatt check certificates and Hyatt gift cards, which are dollar denominated, should be treated as cash when applied to your folio, and are not supposed to impact your ability to earn points and stay credit.

There is a different type of Hyatt certificate, which is not dollar denominated but rather is good for 1 free night at certain properties, which does not allow for the accrual of point and stay credit. I believe that in the past, some at GP have confused the two.
Old Sep 4, 2012, 6:15 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dw
You should go back to GP-- this would not be the first time there is confusion on their end re this issue.

Hyatt check certificates and Hyatt gift cards, which are dollar denominated, should be treated as cash when applied to your folio, and are not supposed to impact your ability to earn points and stay credit.

There is a different type of Hyatt certificate, which is not dollar denominated but rather is good for 1 free night at certain properties, which does not allow for the accrual of point and stay credit. I believe that in the past, some at GP have confused the two.
+1 - payment with a $ denominated Gift Card / Cert has no bearing on the eligibility for stay credit / points of a particular stay - that is dependent solely on the underlying reservation - there is no such thing as a stay booked with a $ denominated Gift Card / Cert (there is a Stay Certificate booking which does not earn stay credit / points).

If you can't get CS to correct, PM our Gold Passport Concierge here on Flyertalk.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.