Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 26, 2019, 11:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hailstorm
The pool and shuttle bus service from the hotel to Shinjuku station has permanently ended as of March 31st, 2021.
Print Wikipost

Hyatt Regency Tokyo REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by LAX/HKG
Would you please elaborate on your comment?
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
It is a fairly good walk from the JR platforms (although I'm not familiar with the N'EX platform). Not really a problem with one small-to-medium rolling suitcase, but if you have to handle more than that due to your kids, it could be a real pain. And as always in Tokyo, if you have to change levels at any time, it can sometimes be tricky to find an elevator or even an escalator.

Countless people do this kind of transfer in Tokyo every day, but the definition of whether it is "easy" can be very subjective. But if you're partly based in HKG you are likely used to making such transfers.
I was here in May and took the hotel shuttle to Shinjuku to ride the N'EX to Narita, two of us with large checked bags and carry-ons. After getting off the shuttle, we went inside and went to the first JR desk we could find. They pointed out the N'EX platform to us, but with pity because, if I remember correctly, it's one of the farthest platforms from the West Exit (where the hotel shuttle stop is). I don't remember how many stairs or escalators we took, or if there were any elevators, but I remember trying to get through the crowds in the main hallway that led up to the platforms' entrances. It wasn't fun, but it's doable. I think we were there around lunch time so I figured crowds wouldn't be too terrible. Depending on your luggage, like OsakaWino mentioned, it's probably not something I would do during the morning or afternoon rushes.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 3:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Personally, I don't think it's worth the hassle. Take the taxi from Shinjuku station with your luggage on the first trip, then learn the ropes of the bus during your stay.

Or just walk to the hotel. It is literally a straight, mostly covered walk from the proper exit. There's even a conveyor walkway to help you along.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:28 pm

Strangely a lot of availability in June 2018 doesn't exist (Atrium Suite only)... here's to hoping something opens up soon.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Originally Posted by KCKC
I was here in May and took the hotel shuttle to Shinjuku to ride the N'EX to Narita, two of us with large checked bags and carry-ons. After getting off the shuttle, we went inside and went to the first JR desk we could find. They pointed out the N'EX platform to us, but with pity because, if I remember correctly, it's one of the farthest platforms from the West Exit (where the hotel shuttle stop is). I don't remember how many stairs or escalators we took, or if there were any elevators, but I remember trying to get through the crowds in the main hallway that led up to the platforms' entrances. It wasn't fun, but it's doable. I think we were there around lunch time so I figured crowds wouldn't be too terrible. Depending on your luggage, like OsakaWino mentioned, it's probably not something I would do during the morning or afternoon rushes.
Having been in Tokyo many times with young kids I would probably recommend taking the Airport Limo bus. Shinjuku is a challenging station to get around especially with the NEX tracks way on the other end of the HR bus stop. Otherwise if you do decide to take the NEX to Shinjuku, go ahead and splurge on a taxi which is on the upper floor (not the street level floor) of the annex building of Shinjuku station where the NEX tracks are (use the Koshu Kaido exit and there is a lift nearby, it might even go up to the 3rd floor for taxis). then at your leisure without luggage take the hotel bus shuttle from the hotel to Shinjuku station and figure out your bearings. My sister who was a Tokyo native always said to me that Shinjuku is one of the more difficult stations to get around and over the years it has gotten even more challenging!

I was just there at the HR Tokyo last week and had a pleasant stay. The shuttle is nice but the walk is really quite manageable and takes about the same time if you include waiting for the bus.

When departing the HR Tokyo, we took the shuttle bus to Shinjuku station and then walked around the perimeter of the JR station to get to the NEX tracks entering the Koshu Kaido gate. It was still crowded but much easier than going up and down and around in the station.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: *$ Green
The walk to Shinjuku was NOT easy.

Mind you, it's not super hard, and once you figure it out the first time you will be fine. But coming out the wrong exit in Shinjuku could mean extending your walk significantly. Add luggage and kids and you're in for a ride.

But I think coming from the NEX will be easier. From the other JR lines, coming off the wrong platform exit could mean a huge detour.

Just remember, WEST EXIT. If it doesn't say WEST EXIT, you ....ed up.
KCKC likes this.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
The walk to Shinjuku was NOT easy.

Mind you, it's not super hard, and once you figure it out the first time you will be fine. But coming out the wrong exit in Shinjuku could mean extending your walk significantly. Add luggage and kids and you're in for a ride.

But I think coming from the NEX will be easier. From the other JR lines, coming off the wrong platform exit could mean a huge detour.

Just remember, WEST EXIT. If it doesn't say WEST EXIT, you ....ed up.
And not CENTRAL WEST EXIT. WEST EXIT or bust!
KCKC, happychic and aquanine like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Thanks everyone for your advice!

Originally Posted by RDUflyer2
Otherwise if you do decide to take the NEX to Shinjuku, go ahead and splurge on a taxi which is on the upper floor (not the street level floor) of the annex building of Shinjuku station where the NEX tracks are (use the Koshu Kaido exit and there is a lift nearby, it might even go up to the 3rd floor for taxis). then at your leisure without luggage take the hotel bus shuttle from the hotel to Shinjuku station and figure out your bearings.
This sounds like the best option if I want to ride the train from Narita. Will I need a special taxi if I carry a couple pieces of large luggage? How much is the taxi fare approximately?
Old Nov 21, 2017, 7:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Titanium; Globalist
Thanks everyone for your advice!

This sounds like the best option if I want to ride the train from Narita. Will I need a special taxi if I carry a couple pieces of large luggage? How much is the taxi fare approximately?
I believe it was around Y1,000 as it really isn't far to the hotel. We've gotten four adults plus four roll-on bags plus two smaller bags in the trunk-about the max. Many of the taxi drivers have bungee cords though they aren't always excited. The good news is that this area is a true taxi stand where people line up waiting and the taxis pull up to load sequentially so you can't be skipped over or passed by. I know they have jumbo cabs but those are sparser. Others may be able to comment here on the luggage capacity in the trunk but it depends on how many you have and bag size.

p.s. The exit you want, Koshu Kaikan, is well marked in the sense that there are signs that point to it but be sure to carefully read the various exit signs as there are lots of exits as has been mentioned. It is also one of the closer exits after you get off the NEX and it seems is in the opposite direction of where most people are headed. I believe it is opposite of the direction of the train so you would be headed towards the rear of the train. I suggest that once you get off the NEX that you take a moment to regroup and make sure you spot the sign for this exit and go off in the right direction. Also I now recall that you will need to go up one floor to the exit gates (optionally by elevator) and then once you have exited go to the end of block where there are escalators to go up one more floor (there is an elevator somewhere too I think) to the taxi (marked as 3F) location. Watch for or look for taxi symbols once you exit the JR gate here. Here is a map that I think is helpful even though it is for the Park Hyatt and their shuttle stop is different: www.parkhyatttokyo.com/Contact/AccessMap_ShinjukuSta_A4.pdf Note that the NEX tracks come up from the bottom right corner and you can see the Koshu Kaikan exit/gate just above including symbols for elevator and notation of taxi area. HR Tokyo is in the upper left corner.
Cheetah_SA and KCKC like this.

Last edited by RDUflyer2; Nov 21, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:51 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
How easy is it to take the shuttle from the Shinjuku JR station to the hotel? I am traveling with kids and considering taking the Narita Express train + hotel shuttle instead of the Airport limousine bus.
I am assuming you have your reasons for preferring to take the N'EX train instead of the shuttle bus, but for the benefit of others who are considering going to Tokyo for the first time, I strongly suggest the bus simply because it's door to door so very easy. Taking the train will be significantly more hassle.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 3:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Exactly..... there's little reason to over-complicate things here regarding transportation, you only have 2 decent options with some minor variation for the last trek from the station if you use the trains:

- the limousine bus. Pro: door-to-door which for a first time visitor (straightforward ticket and bus stop right outside the arrival terminal) or someone who doesn't wan't to carry their luggage too far makes this a no-brainer. Cons: takes a bit longer, and when traffic is bad (late afternoon/evening) can take a lot longer.
- the NEX. Pro/con: will be a bit faster than the bus, but for most it's more of a hassle since you will need to know where to go (can be quite confusing and it's a bit of a distance) and decide on transportation from the station (taxi, free shuttle or walking). The lines to purchase a ticket can sometimes be quite long as well if you don't use the machines and/or plan to exchange your JR coupon at the airport.

And there's also the option of using a combination of trains/subways to get to Tochomea station and then walking the last few minutes. But the same downsides apply, you need to know where you are going and have to carry you luggage... so for most not a great option.

Last edited by RTW1; Nov 22, 2017 at 4:15 am
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:16 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
How easy is it to take the shuttle from the Shinjuku JR station to the hotel? I am traveling with kids and considering taking the Narita Express train + hotel shuttle instead of the Airport limousine bus.
Probably the worse idea with kids.

1. Shinjuku station is quiet big and very crowded. While there are now escalator, it’s very easy to lose your kids in the crowd.

2. The walk from Nex platform to shinjuku west exit is not exactly short. Then you have to take a right and walk probably another 6-700m. Go up stair to Odakyu building (I hope my memeory is correct). Then you have to cross street to bic camera.

3. The shuttle is not very big either.

I would just take the limo bus. Especially with kids in tow.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1k now; AA (no status); HY Diamond; SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by RTW1
Exactly..... there's little reason to over-complicate things here regarding transportation, you only have 2 decent options with some minor variation for the last trek from the station if you use the trains:

- the limousine bus. Pro: door-to-door which for a first time visitor (straightforward ticket and bus stop right outside the arrival terminal) or someone who doesn't wan't to carry their luggage too far makes this a no-brainer. Cons: takes a bit longer, and when traffic is bad (late afternoon/evening) can take a lot longer.
- the NEX. Pro/con: will be a bit faster than the bus, but for most it's more of a hassle since you will need to know where to go (can be quite confusing and it's a bit of a distance) and decide on transportation from the station (taxi, free shuttle or walking). The lines to purchase a ticket can sometimes be quite long as well if you don't use the machines and/or plan to exchange your JR coupon at the airport.

And there's also the option of using a combination of trains/subways to get to Tochomea station and then walking the last few minutes. But the same downsides apply, you need to know where you are going and have to carry you luggage... so for most not a great option.
I was just there about a month ago. The outside stairs leading down to 7-11 and subway station is now closed for construction. So the only way to go down to 7-11 is thru the basement barbershop. The staircase is quiet narrow. So taking subway to Hyatt with large luggage is highly discouraged.

btw- it’s extremely impolite to carry large luggage onto none airport train. So don’t be a bad traveler.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 1:41 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
Originally Posted by escape4
I am assuming you have your reasons for preferring to take the N'EX train instead of the shuttle bus, but for the benefit of others who are considering going to Tokyo for the first time, I strongly suggest the bus simply because it's door to door so very easy. Taking the train will be significantly more hassle.
I am trying to take advantage of the 14-day JR pass.

After reading the comments here I might have to reconsider taking the NEX train. I don't want to be stressed out over transportation at the beginning of my vacation.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 4:02 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Starting the JR pass when you are still in Tokyo for a few days normally is a bad deal, use it for the days when you take the Shinkansen and travel substantial distances....
Exchanging the coupon at Narita can also mean having to lose a lot of time in the rather long lines that tend to form when lots of international flights arrive.

But if you have no other use for the remaining days of the pass then you save a bit by taking the NEX, just know where you are going.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 7:09 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I am trying to take advantage of the 14-day JR pass.

After reading the comments here I might have to reconsider taking the NEX train. I don't want to be stressed out over transportation at the beginning of my vacation.
You still might consider the NEX+taxi. We're not fond of airport busses; they can be crowded and sometimes take a lot longer due to traffic congestion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.